What's new

Do you have any questions about Macau?

Indeed I dont think the news about hand-over of portugese' colonial territiory to india has made any splash in the media on this end.

Macanese is a term describing "native born Portugese in Macau'. There doesnt seem to have a formal term covering all the citizens of Macau, does it?

My questions:
1. is English acceptable as a language used for legal and commerical documents in Macau?
2. how well does the Macau government recognise the academic and professional qualifications from China, HK, UK, Taiwan, USA, Australia etc ?

What is Macau?

Macau is a wonderful place which is about 2 hrs form HK by boat. I am tempted to share some pics of one of my trips to this wonderful place.

I hope this is in order.

zPbww.jpg

9bDOR.jpg

LOL, my grandparents can listen to those Cantonese Opera songs and watch Kung Fu or old time movies all day long. That's their most favorite past time.

I think people in Hong Kong and Macau are still pretty much in love with them, especially the older generations. I'm not so sure about the people in Guangdong though.

We do have Cantonese Opera:
http://www.macautourism.gov.mo/documents/pdf/Yueju_opera_2012.pdf

and yes Macau people is more relax than HK people, you can see the difference from the detail: Macau people usually walk slower than HK people.

last year my father visited macau ,i have some beautiful pics and videos of macau ....,will share soon...

I have few questions.

1) How much is Portuguese still used in Macau, as it is rarely heard today in Goa.
2) What was the reaction among the Chinese of Macau when India liberated Goa from the Portuguese.

You can only find Portuguese from street signs and government documents, Portuguese is rarely being used in common life.

I don't know what exactly the reaction of Macau people in that year (1961), but few years later (1966) there was a mass movement happened in Macau [Motim 1-2-3/ 12-3 Incident].
The consequence of the movement:
1) Portuguese Government in Macao loss all their prestige, but they can still in charge until 1999;
2) After the movement, Macao has actually been under control of the PRC government;
3) KMT was no longer existed in Macau.

My questions:
1. is English acceptable as a language used for legal and commerical documents in Macau?
2. how well does the Macau government recognise the academic and professional qualifications from China, HK, UK, Taiwan, USA, Australia etc ?

It will be better if you use either Chinese or Portuguese, since English is not an official language in Macao.
Sometimes the government organisations will refuse your documents submitting because of your language choosing.

Since Macau is now suffering from lack of manpower and talent lacking (in hotel industry), they will not be that picky.

No doubt, this is a land rich and beautiful.

@ topic:
Why its name "Macau"? What Its Chinese name?

Why it fell into Portugal hands?

No one knows how this name exactly made up from, just like Indian Goa.
Portuguese tastes are weird.

Macau has been "borrowing" by Portuguese for hundreds years. When they saw the British won the war from China, they refused to pay rent and claimed the whole city.

Back
Top Bottom