What's new

Do Not Sacrifice Sleep, It's Not a Waste of Time

thesolar65

Reaction score
Country
India
To some, sleep may seem a total waste of time. Why would our bodies evolve to spend close to one-third of our lives completely out of it, when we could instead be doing something useful or exciting? Scientists have been telling us that sleep is essential for forming and consolidating memories and that it plays a key role in the formation of new neuronal connections and the pruning of old ones. But if sleep was just to remember what you did yesterday, that doesn’t seem important enough. A series of studies published in the journals Science and Sleep now tell us that sleep plays a crucial role in our brain’s physiological maintenance.

As one’s body sleeps, the brain is quite actively playing the part of mental janitor. It clears out all of the junk that has gathered during the day’s thinking. According to professor Christian Benedict of Uppsala University, Sweden, not getting enough sleep is conducive to a loss of brain tissue. “My study supports previous studies which linked a lack of sleep with increased risk of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and multiple sclerosis. Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman’s book Nature Shock links the loss of one hour of sleep to the loss of two years of brain power.

The lesson from all these studies is simple. If we don’t sleep well, we may be allowing the very things that cause neural degeneration to pile up unchecked. The lesson is more relevant today as the modern society is ill equipped to provide our brains with the requisite cleaning time. Sleep is a big deal for us all, but especially for children and teenagers, who spend even more time in the sleep cycles that are responsible for strengthening neural connections, consolidating memory and creating links between disparate memories. It is time we realised that sleep is not an optional activity that can be sacrificed, but a vital biological function and not a waste of time.

@@Skull and Bones @Dash @Alpha1 @Flamingo @levina @Armstrong @DRAY @desert warrior @jbgt90 @Srinivas @kbd-raaf @BDforever @Aamna14 @Kurama @Marshmallow @haman10 @WAR-rior @Roybot @timetravel @gslvmk3 @Bombermanx1 @Guynextdoor2 @scorpionx @isro2222 @Indo-guy @gslv @gslvmk3 @madooxno9 @Indischer @bornmoron @jaunty

To all members of PDF who stays late up in the night to post!!

I spend sleepless nights. That's part of my job and am bound to do it. But I had to compensate two nights shifts with three days rest. Still working in shifts has not only changed my body clock but it harms my health in many ways like stomach and lever disorder, back pains etc.

They dont stay up because they hate sleeping :) They stay up because they love posting ;)

Agree with the OP though. Sleep and not just sleep but Deep Sleep is essential for body repair and also for prevention of memory impairment. I read about the role of deep sleep in formulating and reorganizing memory in some scientific journal.

In my school student days I once went without deep sleep for 6 months( just used to close my eyes and rest at night) and suffered immeasurably as a consequence.

With whom? :rofl: :rofl:
with kolbalish like this :D
DSCN0035.JPG

To some, sleep may seem a total waste of time. Why would our bodies evolve to spend close to one-third of our lives completely out of it, when we could instead be doing something useful or exciting? Scientists have been telling us that sleep is essential for forming and consolidating memories and that it plays a key role in the formation of new neuronal connections and the pruning of old ones. But if sleep was just to remember what you did yesterday, that doesn’t seem important enough. A series of studies published in the journals Science and Sleep now tell us that sleep plays a crucial role in our brain’s physiological maintenance.
As one’s body sleeps, the brain is quite actively playing the part of mental janitor. It clears out all of the junk that has gathered during the day’s thinking. According to professor Christian Benedict of Uppsala University, Sweden, not getting enough sleep is conducive to a loss of brain tissue. “My study supports previous studies which linked a lack of sleep with increased risk of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and multiple sclerosis. Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman’s book Nature Shock links the loss of one hour of sleep to the loss of two years of brain power.
The lesson from all these studies is simple. If we don’t sleep well, we may be allowing the very things that cause neural degeneration to pile up unchecked. The lesson is more relevant today as the modern society is ill equipped to provide our brains with the requisite cleaning time. Sleep is a big deal for us all, but especially for children and teenagers, who spend even more time in the sleep cycles that are responsible for strengthening neural connections, consolidating memory and creating links between disparate memories. It is time we realised that sleep is not an optional activity that can be sacrificed, but a vital biological function and not a waste of time.
this article states the Hidden truth...That's why i sleep 9 hours a day...:sleep::sleep::sleep::tup::tup::tup:

i literally have 4-5 h of sleep these days !

the exams have made my life miserable at best ! :(

i could save another 1-2 h of time by not coming to PDF and other forums , but in that situation i'll die of being bored :(

Back
Top Bottom