What's new

Dhaka v/s Kolkata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no confirmed information in this regard so cant comment. But as an IT guy i can definitely say that Gurgaon,Pune,Chennai,Mumbai,Bangalore,Hyderabad beats Kolkata hands down in the JOB OPENINGS scenario. People who dont get a job from college move out of Bengal if they can afford.
But you must understand that i am talking about a very small group of people. And Kolkata does have its fair share of IT companies and more are lining up with new offices. Just heard yesterday Igate and tech mahindra setting up new offices in Bantala.

That's a good news, glad to hear that, hope Kolkata would one day regain it's past glory.

(but not surpassing Dhaka :D)

and to farther counter your statement, till a decade back people from Bihar,Orissa,Assam used to flood Kolkata in search of oppurtunities. But a recent surge in the economy of those areas has downed that migration considerably. Patna,Bhubaneswar,Guahati are now home to major IT cos and other industries. But even now a vast number of unskilled labour of Kolkata are of non Bengali origin.

and to farther counter your statement, till a decade back people from Bihar,Orissa,Assam used to flood Kolkata in search of oppurtunities. But a recent surge in the economy of those areas has downed that migration considerably. Patna,Bhubaneswar,Guahati are now home to major IT cos and other industries. But even now a vast number of unskilled labour of Kolkata are of non Bengali origin.

Which argument you are countering to? :confused: You have just supported my points that Kolkata is not getting any immigrants from other parts of India rather experiencing outward migration of its citizens to other metros of India.

[ quote="extra terrestrial, post: 4923313, member: 134421"]Which argument you are countering to? :confused:[/quote]
That increase in migration from the city is causing the decline in pooulation growth, maybe a decline in migration to the city has caused such.

[ quote="extra terrestrial, post: 4923313, member: 134421"]Which argument you are countering to? :confused:
That increase in migration from the city is causing the decline in pooulation growth, maybe a decline in migration to the city has caused such.[/quote]

That's what I have suggested as well.

Agree with what you have said, but ain't it a degrading fact that unemployment in Kolkata is so severe that has led to the declining population growth rate in the city?

Kolkata core city stopped growing and now suburbs are growing faster....Anyway decrease in population is good for Kolkata already congested ...Kolkata’s population density is currently at 24,252 people per sq. km—one of the highest in the world.. Districts neighbouring Kolkata such as Howrah, North 24 Parganas and South 24 Parganas, population has expanded by 13-18% over the past decade—indicating that people from the city may have moved to the suburbs as urban infrastructure expanded...
Kolkata's is no match for Dhaka's anymore because by 2025, the United Nations forecasts that Dhaka will reach 23 million, well ahead of Kolkata’s projected 19 million(including suburbs)...when the 2011 Census slum data is available, it will show that all of the city of Kolkata's population loss will have been from the slums.... Already there is 30% less slum population in kolkata than Dhaka... Slum population is decreasing in kolkata and there will be a huge increase in Dhaka...

Mumbai has a majestic skyline, undoubtedly the best in the subcontinent. The buildings there are skyscrapers not even highrises, Dhaka has some skyscrapers but not that many as Mumbai has.

call them highrise, midrise, or low rise, it's quite evident Dhaka is far ahead of Kolkata. :lol:

So what's the death rate of Kolkata? Moreover, your arguments also make it quite clear that Kolkata is not getting any immigrants from other cities of West Bengal or other states of India, now that proves that it's no more a major urban center, not even in eastern India.

Dhaka doesn't have any skyscraper, the night pictures you posted are just good pictures, post the same pictures of those building n daylight it will look ugly, on the other hand kolkata have many picturesque buildings some of which I posted before. I'm yet to come across a single nice looking modern office building in Dhaka.

Yes kolkata is not a major urban center in East India, actually it's in chapra and katihar. :lol: 
I have no confirmed information in this regard so cant comment. But as an IT guy i can definitely say that Gurgaon,Pune,Chennai,Mumbai,Bangalore,Hyderabad beats Kolkata hands down in the JOB OPENINGS scenario. People who dont get a job from college move out of Bengal if they can afford.
But you must understand that i am talking about a very small group of people. And Kolkata does have its fair share of IT companies and more are lining up with new offices. Just heard yesterday Igate and tech mahindra setting up new offices in Bantala.
Worked in Bantala for few years, that place is horrible!

Last edited:
Dhaka is big....mind mindbogglingly big!
Too many cars. I pity my local colleagues who travel to & from Paltan, Shantipur, Dhanmondi.
They waste around 3-4 hours on roads. The best part is the roads are mostly 6 lanes+. Every elite family has 1+ car..and there are too many elites in Dhaka:coffee:

The three new flyovers are decent enough.
But Dhaka needs more mass transport...which it lacks severely!!

IMHO skyscrapers shouldn't be indicators towards development of a city....instead quality of mass transport is.

I cant imagine life @dhaka without a car.
I barely need to take out my own car in Kolkata:woot:

The concept of FSI is non existent in Dhaka....it is something it sorely needs.

However I wouldn't mind at all staying at Gulshan, Baridhara or Uttara where I have a car. Damn good places to stay!
I try to avoid places like Mirpur and most of Purono Dhaka.....which are strikingly similar to Khidirpore....(yuck!)

Dhaka doesn't have any skyscraper, the night pictures you posted are just good pictures, post the same pictures of those building n daylight it will look ugly, on the other hand kolkata have many picturesque buildings some of which I posted before. I'm yet to come across a single nice looking modern office building in Dhaka.

Yes kolkata is not a major urban center in East India, actually it's in chapra and katihar. :lol:

As I said, call them skycraper, highrises, midrises, lowrises or whatever, they clearly show Dhaka is far ahead of Kolkata. :lol:

Check the post again, they are not only of night pictures, some daylight pictures as well. I have checked the entire thread, there are both night pictures and daylighlight pictures of Kolkata posted here, sorry but they are not even comparable to Dhaka.

And the pictures you posted are some lowrise office buildings, there are far better images of Kolkata posted by others here. :lol:

We are always uncomfortable about foreigners roaming around our streets!:DWe have bad experience with foreigners from our past.Everyone is an enemy!

Bhai…. abar Atlanta gechilam…. kintu abar Panahar miss hoye galo….

Bhai…. abar Atlanta gechilam…. kintu abar Panahar miss hoye galo….
Panahr ar beshi din nao thakte pare...Georgia theke Bangali ar Indian ra chole jacche gradually....Nepalis and Africans are taking over.Besh koekta purano Indian are Bangali store chole gese already!

We are always uncomfortable about foreigners roaming around our streets!:DWe have bad experience with foreigners from our past.Everyone is an enemy!
so your solution is to stare?

so your solution is to stare?
Yes....since we dont have a lot of cameras to monitor everything we have to keep a watchful eye on every alien person walking on the street.Infiltrators and colonialists are terrible!

Yes....since we dont have a lot of cameras to monitor everything we have to keep a watchful eye on every alien person walking on the street.Infiltrators and colonialists are terrible!
dont worry about that . all infiltrators are in W.bengal and we drove out the colonialists for you 40 years ago

dont worry about that . all infiltrators are in W.bengal and we drove out the colonialists for you 40 years ago

We did not have colonialists 40 years ago...Pakistanis were not colonialists...Its the neo-colonialists we are more worried about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom