What's new

Dhaka v/s Kolkata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have visited Kolkata few months ago and neutrally speaking, in terms of tall highrises, Dhaka beats Kolkata by far, Kolkata's most posh suburbs like Salt lake and Rajarhat are at best comparable to Dhaka's Shantinagar, Mouchak areas while posh areas like Gulshan, Banani, Baridhara etc are way ahead, not just the number of highrises but also their architectural styles, simply gorgeous, new highrises are popping up in almost every major street and most of them are covered by glass. On the other hand Kolkata has a brilliant transport system, something in which Dhaka seriously lags behind.
Lol dude wtf shanti nagar and sector 5? :P

Those high rises probably were in stealth mode and eluded me! :P

Lol dude wtf shanti nagar and sector 5? :P

Those high rises probably were in stealth mode and eluded me! :P

Shantinagar is mainly a residential area with some highrises but they are not much aesthetic in terms of architecture. Similar highrises are also seen in elephant road, I just came from there visiting a friend, they are tall but look ugly.:sick:

Have you been to Dhaka recently? Numerous highrises have popped up in the areas starting from Panthapath, Tejgaon to Gulshan, Banani, Baridhara etc with some majestic architecture and also a number of others under construction. My most favourite is the one situated in Tejgaon with having lines of Bengali poems on the exterior, simply amazing. Heard there is also plethora of highrises both existing and under construction in Uttara, Banasree, Purbachal etc but haven't visited those areas in recent times.

The way Suicide bombing is becoming popular in Pakistan, I am not surprised you would like to do that.

He's a sick mentality fellow. Jealous because the thread is going decent.

@DRAY I don't want to spoil your fun so please continue with whatever you feel posting. I just responded to the post of Hindu guy because i was feeling same that you(boht) guys were showing only bright side of the city and ignored those one third of population who are either homeless, sleeping on roads/parks or living in slums in miserable conditions. Economy don't matter to them and these historical buildings of British Raj, high society theatre /clubs and restaurant are useless for them because they don't even have access of as basic thing as toilet and any open place is their toilet as well as kitchen. Disparity is there in each society but you do actually see a big gap between rich indian and incredibly poor indian where business owners and other important people continue to make huge money while the poor struggling for survival and basic stuffs. They both equally represent the city/country

My brother in law went to india during indo -pak match series. He went there with all this positive/glamorous/incredible image of india which we see in Bollywood movies and with image of india faster growing economy but he came back with negative one. According to him he has seen much worse conditions of poor people in india than what he see in Pakistan . Any way carry on :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems flyover is still under-construction

I have visited Kolkata few months ago and neutrally speaking, in terms of tall highrises, Dhaka beats Kolkata by far, Kolkata's most posh suburbs like Salt lake and Rajarhat are at best comparable to Dhaka's Shantinagar, Mouchak areas while posh areas like Gulshan, Banani, Baridhara etc are way ahead, not just the number of highrises but also their architectural styles, simply gorgeous, new highrises are popping up in almost every major street and most of them are covered by glass. On the other hand Kolkata has a brilliant transport system, something in which Dhaka seriously lags behind.

Shantinagar is mainly a residential area with some highrises but they are not much aesthetic in terms of architecture. Similar highrises are also seen in elephant road, I just came from there visiting a friend, they are tall but look ugly.:sick:

Have you been to Dhaka recently? Numerous highrises have popped up in the areas starting from Panthapath, Tejgaon to Gulshan, Banani, Baridhara etc with some majestic architecture and also a number of others under construction. My most favourite is the one situated in Tejgaon with having lines of Bengali poems on the exterior, simply amazing. Heard there is also plethora of highrises both existing and under construction in Uttara, Banasree, Purbachal etc but haven't visited those areas in recent times.

Photos please, seeing is believing!! And some long shots also showing the horizon with many spikes!! :D

@DRAY I don't want to spoil your fun so please continue with whatever you feel posting. I just responded to the post of Hindu guy because i was feeling same that you(boht) guys were showing only bright side of the city and ignored those one third of population who are either homeless, sleeping on roads/parks or living in slums in miserable conditions. Economy don't matter to them and these historical buildings of British Raj, high society theatre /clubs and restaurant are useless for them because they don't even have access of as basic thing as toilet and any open place is their toilet as well as kitchen. Disparity is there in each society but you do actually see a big gap between rich indian and incredibly poor indian where business owners and other important people continue to make huge money while the poor struggling for survival and basic stuffs. They both equally represent the city/country

My brother in law went to india during indo -pak match series. He went there with all this positive/glamorous/incredible image of india which we see in Bollywood movies and with image of india faster growing economy but he came back with negative one. According to him he has seen much worse conditions of poor people in india than what he see in Pakistan . Any way carry on :)

The scope of this thread named "Dhaka v/s Kolkata" is limited. I can understand your concern about poor people, and my country is slowly but surely minimizing the problem. Those flashy office buildings do earn revenue for the state and help in funding of social schemes. Kolkata being the largest economic centre of the region, it has to deal with constant migration from WB and some other Indian states, and Kolkata is also facing the problem of illegal immigrants from across the border; it's easier to get unnoticed in a big city.
Unlike many other cities in the world, we don't drive the poor out of the city, no effort for hiding anything here.

However, I don't buy the argument that poor in Pakistan are in a better living condition than poor in India, if economic gap between poor and rich are larger than Pakistan, then it is not because poor are more poor here, but our businesses have done comparatively better than their Pakistani counterparts.

However, I don't buy the argument that poor in Pakistan are in a better living condition than poor in India, if economic gap between poor and rich are larger than Pakistan, then it is not because poor are more poor here, but our businesses have done comparatively better than their Pakistani counterparts.

You don't buy the argument but here are some statistics about people living below poverty line. Its not that they are 100 percent correct but they give us general idea

Population living below $1.25 PPP((in purchasing power parity terms) per day (%)

India : 32.7 %

Pakistan: 21.0 %

Bangladesh: 43.3

Source : world Bank 2012
http://hdr.undp.org/en/countries/

Population live below poverty line world fact book 2010
Bangldesh: 31.5%
India: 29.8%
Pakistan: 22.3%

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2046.html

This one is latest april 2013 report

India has one third of world's poorest, says World Bank
One in three of the world's poorest people are living in India, the world's second-fastest growing economy, according to a new study by the World Bank.

While new figures show that the number of those in extreme poverty around the world - surviving on 82 pence per day or less - has declined significantly, India now has a greater share of the world's poorest than it did thirty years ago. Then it was home to one fifth of the world's poorest people, but today it accounts for one-third - 400 million.

The study, The State of the Poor: Where are the Poor and Where are the Poorest?, found the number of extremely poor people had declined from half the world's population in 1981 to one fifth in 2010, but voiced concern at its increase in Sub-Saharan Africa and continuing high level in India.

World Bank president Jim Yong Kim said while the overall decline was "remarkable progress", the remaining 1.2 billion people living in extreme poverty was "a stain on our collective conscience." His colleague, World Bank chief economist Kaushik Basu, who until last year was economic advisor to Indian prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh, said the figures called for the world's wealthier countries to do more.

"We have made strides in cutting down poverty, but with nearly one-fifth of the world population still below the poverty line, not enough. Directing investment towards the poor will require coordinated effort by the Bank, our country partners, and the international development community; and will, let's face it, entail sacrifice on the part of those who are fortunate enough to be better off," he said.

The scale of continuing extreme poverty in India, despite its economy nudging growth rates of nine per cent in recent years, highlights what government strategists have called its "ticking time bomb." Its population is expected to reach 1.5 billion and become the world's largest nation by 2026 but its economy is not growing fast enough to create the 20 million new jobs per year they will need to prevent poverty increasing further.

Its problems are compounded by poor health services, child malnutrition and inadequate education and training. Almost half of pupils drop out of school by the age of 13 and only one in ten people have received any form of job training.

The perception of India as a fast-growing economy however has seen developed countries significantly reduce their aid. The United States has announced a 16 per cent reduction while Britain has announced it will end its £280 million per year aid programme.

Thomas Chandy of Save The Children said 200 million people had been lifted from poverty in the last two decades but the recent economic growth had left one third of the population untouched. "India's status has gone down despite the economic growth, inequality has widened which makes the poor poorer. In child mortality, infant mortality and maternal mortality, India seems to have the largest populations in all these categories. We would like to see focused interventions [because] the most difficult areas remain untouched," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-third-of-worlds-poorest-says-World-Bank.html

State of the Poor Paper April17

Yuck, Bengali sweets.:sick: Doi maach, kosha mangsho is all cool but mishti doi and the sweets- NO NO NO! Although my grand-mum still prays that someday I will take a liking to a Bangla mei and thus my diet will change.:rolleyes:
kyun Dillinger bhai why this unusual hate for Bengali sweets:pissed:!
please don't malign Bengal in front of foreigners as we have only two great things left in here.Bengali sweets and sweet Bengali girls are in much demand in all around India as both of them tastes very sweet(you know what i meant):P

I would also add "Nalen Gurer Rosogolla of Vien" and "Peter Cat's Chelo Kabab"!! :smitten: Actually there are hell lot of delicious foods to eat in Kolkata, Bengalis love to eat good food. :D Where do I get hard boiled cane candy?

That's because KC Das is not the only option here, Kolkata i full of quality sweet shops. In fact I am not that fond of KC Das. :)

Ha ha ha ha!!!! Good one!!

I heard that he also worked in some restaurant in Singapore!!

Should I post photos of some Bong beauties here?? :D

Yes, they have improved....thanks to JNNURM!!

Where do you live? I am coming!! :kiss3: :partay:

Have you tried Bengali cuisine, they are also becoming popular. In Kolkata Bengali restaurants are mushrooming everywhere, some have opened shops in "Bongolore" too!! :D
dada you mentioned the two things which i love most in Kolkata.Peter Cat should be declared as the national heritage site for those lovely chello kababs(although i am a veggie,i love eating the veg chello kabab whenever i get the opportunity:P).
when it comes to authentic Bengali sweet my preferable destination is Nakur chandra das...man they do make some of the finest sweets in the entire world:cheers:

Rabindra Setu (Howrah Bridge) on the river Ganges (Ganga).

X4ZS2Yi.jpg

FSpbFR9.jpg

moyqvDq.jpg

lBE1mGl.jpg

River Ganges (Ganga).

ePR3NTC.jpg

ew8c0qj.jpg

Dhakuria Lake at South Kolkata.

FRTb3qq.jpg

I need some cheering here!! :D
dada amar jiboner prothom prem kahini ei laker dharei boshe suru hoechilo:smitten:.have some memorable moments attached to this particular place,even now whenever i get the opportunity,i go there and enjoy the view of the lake while sitting on a bench:D

Ḥashshāshīn;4875429 said:
Coming from a resident of the largest open faecal matter factory in the world :omghaha:
just STFU man...why the heck are you trying to derail this thread!!!:hitwall:

Thanks @DRAY bhai!

Man the eyes and the skin ......!!!! :smitten:

And another body part not highlighted in your photos as well (personal experience .....). Best in India! :angel:
Amen to that brother:P!we all had some experience(i believe) in this matter;)

Bipasha Basu, Nusrat Jahan & Riya Sen, want to do things to them that no one here should ever hear of........ :cheesy:

:whistle:
Sir jee,aap toh bohut tharkee nikle:cheesy:

WTF ARE FREAKINB VEG KEBABS? DOUBLE WTF!>>??
Peter Cat serves Veg chello kababs,replacing the meatballs with paneer balls...
1354083240512.jpg

the above picture is from the Peter Cat website....:coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom