What's new

Dhaka under pressure to sign US military co-op deal

I really do not know what the big deal is. Sri Lanka has such a bilateral arrangement with the US but is a close ally of China and Pakistan. If Sri Lanka can maintain its sovereignty then why should not Bangladesh? I see certain benefits to a military arrangement with the US but even closer ties to China with a possible defence pact.

It has generally been the Indians who have opposed Bangladesh having any military arrangements with the US. Remember the fiasco over the SOFA agreement in 1996?

I agree with this policy, as long as ASEAN+ kind of grouping remains a "pipe dream".

The big deal is that its a big fat let down for India after Hasina arranged for a same day visit for Pranab da, when Hillary was in Bangladesh. I think it shows clearly that the US is no longer buying into the idea of Indian management of Bangladesh to keep it "terror-free" using RAWamy League. Nowadays it sees a different role for Bangladesh, which somehow involves Myanmar.

The reason why the USA is placing a certain degree of importance into Bangladesh is because the Bay of Bengal serves as a gateway.

This especially becomes relevant ever since Iran started threatening the Straits of Hormuz. USA will never attack Iran, they could have done so over 30 years ago if they desired.

It's all about securing the trade routes that serve America's business and military interests.

The reason why the USA is placing a certain degree of importance into Bangladesh is because the Bay of Bengal serves as a gateway.

This especially becomes relevant ever since Iran started threatening the Straits of Hormuz. USA will never attack Iran, they could have done so over 30 years ago if they desired.

It's all about securing the trade routes that serve America's business and military interests.

but don't they have Diego Garcia to do that:undecided::undecided::undecided::undecided::undecided:

but don't they have Diego Garcia to do that:undecided::undecided::undecided::undecided::undecided:

I don't know...the island is a little far.

diego-garcia-enroute-map.jpg

Diego Garcia

They have a pretty strong base over there.

If they have a strong presence in the BoB, it may give them better control. I don't know, not much details have been given over this in public. But what is for certain is that the US is up to something.

I don't know...the island is a little far.

diego-garcia-enroute-map.jpg

Diego Garcia

They have a pretty strong base over there.

If they have a strong presence in the BoB, it may give them better control. I don't know, not much details have been given over this in public. But what is for certain is that the US is up to something.

Why would they need a strong presence in BoB.BoB rim country are mostly friendly to US and Diego garcia could defend mallaca ans sunda strait much easily.

There may be a political aspect to the deal.

Maybe China? :confused: Yeah, those guys at the Pentagon are scared $hit of China for some reason :lol:

Defence pact is okay(like joint training and stuff. However this part is not

Depending on how you see it, it can either mean they can build bases in bangladesh or we serve them as foot soldiers, for their own interest.

Btw US intruded into sri lankan airspace last year, but sri lanka could do nothing about it

How is having a Defence pact with US gonna help our defence relations with China.

Its a good thing that the SOFA agreement didnt take place

Sri Lanka has exactly the same agreement signed with the US almost 5 years ago and their are no bases there and they have not deployed their troops at America's behest anywhere in the world. Give specific examples rather than made up ones.

The US intrudes in everyone's airspace once in awhile and no one can say anything. That is the way of the world and has nothing to do with signing this military agreement.

Not defense pact with the US. A defence pact with China like Pakistan has.

If we had signed SOFA then India would be in a far less position to push us around.

Trade routes that are essential for the survival of India and China.

Our main problem is that we do not have the experience and expertise to negotiate a military agreement like this.

I agree with this policy, as long as ASEAN+ kind of grouping remains a "pipe dream".

The big deal is that its a big fat let down for India after Hasina arranged for a same day visit for Pranab da, when Hillary was in Bangladesh. I think it shows clearly that the US is no longer buying into the idea of Indian management of Bangladesh to keep it "terror-free" using RAWamy League. Nowadays it sees a different role for Bangladesh, which somehow involves Myanmar.

I also think that the US may have had a rethink on South Asia .......

Maybe China? :confused: Yeah, those guys at the Pentagon are scared $hit of China for some reason :lol:

The operating word of this article is "Under pressure".It may be a fantasy of column reporter.

Bangladesh has strategic significance for china but none for US.

If the US is serious about containing both China and India, then a US allied ASEAN+ group is the most logical solution that will group together all vulnerable small states into a union of a billion people, protect them from regional bullies and stabilize the region in the long term. Allying with India to contain China would be suicidal for the US, just as it was suicidal for US to ally with China to contain Soviet Union.

Again that ASEAN+ delusion:cool:.No one is buying into your delusional fantasies.

Probably you do not realise that India is full dailouge partner of ASEAN and has signed FTA with them.

Sri Lanka has exactly the same agreement signed with the US almost 5 years ago and their are no bases there and they have not deployed their troops at America's behest anywhere in the world. Give specific examples rather than made up ones.

The US intrudes in everyone's airspace once in awhile and no one can say anything. That is the way of the world and has nothing to do with signing this military agreement.

Not defense pact with the US. A defence pact with China like Pakistan has.

If we had signed SOFA then India would be in a far less position to push us around.

I think we had a temporary SOFA agreement during Operation Sea Angel.

A permanent one would undoubtedly upset both India and China.

Here's an interesting read:
Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA): Strategic Concerns of Bangladesh by Alok Kumar Gupta

Trade routes that are essential for the survival of India and China.

Our main problem is that we do not have the experience and expertise to negotiate a military agreement like this.

100% agreed. That's why I want the fools ruling us to...I don't know disappear(?)

I also think that the US may have had a rethink on South Asia .......

Duly noted: What we are looking at is the most intelligent, the most cunning and the most ruthless entities to ever live.

No!! This should not happen!! Bangladesh must deny this straight forward!

They already have a base "Diego Garcia" why need more??

I hope India should also object in this regard and support Bangladesh in denying any such base in bangladesh as this is not good for our National Interest too!!

No!! This should not happen!! Bangladesh must deny this straight forward!

They already have a base "Diego Garcia" why need more??

I hope India should also object in this regard and support Bangladesh in denying any such base in bangladesh as this is not good for our National Interest too!!

Why India should object??????????

The very fact that US has Deigo Garcia already makes it redundant for us whether they have a base in Bangladesh or not.They could easily act against India from there......

On the other hand signing this deal will piss china off mightily.It is very much in favour of India that Bangladesh provides base to US.

Its also interesting, why all of sudden, out of the blue..world superpowers are loving us. First you have Russia, setting up nuclear plants and giving credits and now USA, pressurizing to start a co-op deal. Were we 'just an average country' few years back?

USA presence wont make China happy and certainly not Russia. Lets see what our 'able' government does.

Cheers!!!

Russia is our old friend, it's just our political leaders didn't have the vision to continue with them otherwise they were willing to take part in real development of BD and also they never acted like a master with us.

If the US is serious about containing both China and India, then a US allied ASEAN+ group is the most logical solution that will group together all vulnerable small states into a union of a billion people, protect them from regional bullies and stabilize the region in the long term. Allying with India to contain China would be suicidal for the US, just as it was suicidal for US to ally with China to contain Soviet Union.

I disagree with the view that US wants to encircle india as well. They (NASA) provided them long range ballistic missile tech, also US congress passed arms supply to india and a new deal has already been signed in US-india for exporting arms from US to india. So if there's any symptom (I didn't see any) that US wants to encircle both China and india, that's actually eye wash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom