What's new

Devyani Khobragade gets full diplomatic immunity after transfer

I guess not. But I want to see that b!tch's face.

LOL. Me too :lol:

So I googled and found a picture, but since I was not sure, I do not want to post it.

So is that any skin offa my back? The facts are facts; I live with them as will others have to.

Well that was sarcasm directed at that NRI :D .... sorry to shoot off your shoulder :P

LOL. Me too :lol:

So I googled and found a picture, but since I was not sure, I do not want to post it.
images

This is the point most counter arguments have been sticking to, BUT, some leeway in diplomatic circles is allowed as part of mutual understanding. Similar to why US embassy in Delhi was provided extra barricades and gay partners being allowed.
US laws in application to foreign diplomats may sound ridiculous (like paying nanny more than her own wages), and are overlooked on a regular basis as part of privileges.

What US (or maybe hyper-activist Bharara), did here was to break that unwritten agreement and go for Khobragade.

That is why the State department is trying to shift blame to Marshals for the mistreatment.

Thats also why the GOI is furious, and if it comes down to applying the law, is threatening to arrest Gay partners since they dont enjoy full immunity either.

But my question is why these diplomats should be provided "extra" privileges outside of the laws - goes for both US and Indian diplomats. I had raised this question in one of the previous posts as well.

Cherry picking are we??

Problems started with Richard, according to Dr Khobragade's lawsuit against her in the Delhi high court. It said that Richard wanted to work outside on her off days, but she was told that it was illegal according to her visa status, and also because she had an official passport.

You can say that it just an allegation by the diplomat.. But isnt it the same which is done by the maid also? It had not yet proved

What if the maid was doing all these for a US visa? May be she signed the agreement because she thought she can try for another job in US once she left the country..

I bet she is working in the house of the person who has helped/brainwashed her. I also doubt the fellow is an Indian American and I also doubt the mind set of the DA who is also and Indian American!!

And, the cutomary pakistani enters, making a fool of himself with a meaningless jab. I was wondering why it took so long. What is it this time, that pakistan made america a superpower?

Actually don't bother replying. This is one thread that we dont want to be derailed with pakistani delusions.
Pak really made them a super power after defeating Russia and thats how they were able to create the new world order for their power!!!

So is that any skin offa my back? The facts are facts; I live with them as will others have to.

You can say facts are facts but I am pointing to you calling me dumb - That is a personal attack which I do not expect from you unlike the numerous jingoistic junior members here.

And do understand that NRIs have our responsibility as well - We are the lobby projecting the Indian views here in US not unlike what many think - get the passport and get out of the country stuff. And I am not going to get caught in this jingoistic stuff.
I agree NRIs are the lobby projecting Indian views that's why when former Indian President like APJ Kalam is frisked, they don't say a thing.

Living by their rules is one thing, standing up against condemnable behavior against Indian woman is another.

She is not an NRI. She is there on a diplomatic passport, as an employee of the ministry of external affairs, paid for by the govt of India. She has partial immunity, though not a full one. If she is there on a diplomatic passport, and not on a regular Indian passport, then there are certain protocols that have to be followed.

BTW it is not just this lady who is bending that particular rule - embassy staff of at least a hundred other developing countries do so in the US, because nobody can pay their maids american wages, when they themselves get paid Indian wages. This is quite well known.

If someone breaks the law and does not get prosecuted does not mean she should not be as well especially when the issue comes out in the open.

Pak really made them a super power after defeating Russia and thats how they were able to create the new world order for their power!!!
well bhai pakistan helped USA cause it wanted free and unchalleneged supplies dollars and wepons for itys forces to be used aginst india and for thet they went to extreame while looking at the big picture and later when they.....khair jane do its off topic you know why your in this state much better than any indian ...dont you

Right, I knew it would be something along those lines. Seriously, don't embarass yourself like this. Right, it was pakistan that defeated the Soviet Union, because it sent a few men to die in afghanistan. Enjoy your fairytales.

I agree NRIs are the lobby projecting Indian views that's why when former Indian President like APJ Kalam is frisked, they don't say a thing.

Living by their rules is one thing, standing up against condemnable behavior against Indian woman is another.

When Kalam was frisked, there was real genuine fury. But what has GOI done since then? Have they amended the list on who should not be frisked? I don't believe the list was amended. What have the Indians in India done since then except at that moment? So why do you want to blame just one group?

But my question is why these diplomats should be provided "extra" privileges outside of the laws - goes for both US and Indian diplomats. I had raised this question in one of the previous posts as well.

You need to read up about diplomats. Diplomats are not bound by the laws of the host country, and are not under the jurisdiction of that country's law courts. If there is a case against a diplomat, it should be pursued with the consulate.

Maybe this woman id not have full diplomatic immunity, but even if she had a partial one (which she did), she has to be treated differently. That is agreed protocol, unwritten for thousands of years, and codified since the vienna accords.

In short - diplomats ARE to be treated differently. There are several reasons why, but since you seem unanware that such a law exists, I suggest you read up on that first and then delve into the whys.

In this story on the BBC, they tell you the difference between full and consular immunity. I do not dispute it was poorly handled though.

They should have handled this carefully. There was no need to arrest her in public.

If someone breaks the law and does not get prosecuted does not mean she should not be as well especially when the issue comes out in the open.

If she is a diplomat, then there are protocols to be followed. Whether there is full immunity or partial, the case shoud first be taken to the high commision, and the arrest handled with more sensitivity.

When Kalam was frisked, there was real genuine fury. But what has GOI done since then? Have they amended the list on who should not be frisked? I don't believe the list was amended. What have the Indians in India done since then except at that moment? So why do you want to blame just one group?
You think I blame you and not anyone else ? I blame every Indian who elect weak leaders who are idiot enough not to show spine.

Actually, I have one hope left that NRIs will protest in US against US mistreatment, US support to Pak etc. In India, people are indifferent.

Back
Top Bottom