What's new

Dev Anand Passes Away

He Was 'Humphrey Bogart' Of Indian Cinema !!

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

For God's Sake Atleast Read Article Before Posting

No sir he was Gregory Peck of indian cinema & his real name was 'Dev Dutt Pishori Mall Anand' or Dharam Dev Pishori Anand was born on 26 September 1923 in Shakargarh Tehsil of Gurdaspur district (now in Narowal District, Pakistan)and Dev graduated in English Literature from the Government College, Lahore, (now in Pakistan)..He is also Mamu Jaan of renowned Hindi and English film director Shekhar Kapur

who is dev anand?

If you read post#1 in this thread, you might understand. If you don't, it does'nt matter anyway.
But just for info he was'nt Zion Hamid.

Now about Dev Anand; he was part of the Hindi film industry when 'stars' ruled and he was one of the shiniest. What I mean is that the actors while acting worked to create a specific personal image on their roles, rather than act out the character. But be that as it may, the audiences lapped it up. And musical scores and hit songs with lyrics composed by great "shayars" helped too. Dev Anand was at his best in one such role (using all these devices); in "Hum Dono". Maybe Fatman17 will be able to recall that, among others.

But that age is past and one more stalwart has moved on.
RIP Dev Anand.

But that age has past

Did tou know thatHe began his career in the military censor office at Churchgate, Bombay, for a salary of ₹200. He joined his older brother Chetan as a member of the Indian People's Theatre Association (IPTA).

He was soon offered a debut as an actor by Prabhat Talkies to star in their film Hum Ek Hain(1946). While shooting for the film in Pune, Dev struck a friendship with another fellow legendary actor Guru Dutt. They had decided between themselves that if one of the two becomes successful first in film industry then they would help the other to be successful. It was a mutual understanding between them that when Dev Anand produced a film, Guru Dutt would direct it and when Guru Dutt directed a film, Dev Anand would act in it.
&Dev chose Guru Dutt as director for the crime thriller, Baazi (1951). The film starring Dev Anand

No sir he was Gregory Peck of indian cinema & his real name was 'Dev Dutt Pishori Mall Anand' or Dharam Dev Pishori Anand was born on 26 September 1923 in Shakargarh Tehsil of Gurdaspur district (now in Narowal District, Pakistan)and Dev graduated in English Literature from the Government College, Lahore, (now in Pakistan)..He is also Mamu Jaan of renowned Hindi and English film director Shekhar Kapur

Yes, you recalled one of his specialities (or quirks). Actually he consciously modelled himself on Gregory Peck. Most likely he admired Gregory or he found it expedient to do so. But there was a quintessential difference between the two, while Gregory Peck had very understated style of acting; one could'nt say the same about Dev Anand. But as I said, earlier it was the age of stars rather than that of actors.

My favorite actor. Rest in peace fellow Lahoriay . Loved all the fifties songs picturized on him

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

abhi na jaow choor kar !!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did tou know thatHe began his career in the military censor office at Churchgate, Bombay, for a salary of ₹200. He joined his older brother Chetan as a member of the Indian People's Theatre Association (IPTA).

He was soon offered a debut as an actor by Prabhat Talkies to star in their film Hum Ek Hain(1946). While shooting for the film in Pune, Dev struck a friendship with another fellow legendary actor Guru Dutt. They had decided between themselves that if one of the two becomes successful first in film industry then they would help the other to be successful. It was a mutual understanding between them that when Dev Anand produced a film, Guru Dutt would direct it and when Guru Dutt directed a film, Dev Anand would act in it.
&Dev chose Guru Dutt as director for the crime thriller, Baazi (1951). The film starring Dev Anand

Thanks for recalling all that. Dev Anand recalled his days at Prabhat with great pride and affection. While at Prabhat, he frequented a place called Lucky Restaurant (an Irani joint) at Deccan Gymkhana which was famous for the usual Irani specialities viz. Chai, Bun-Maskaa etc. But Lucky had very good Biryani, Parathas and Kormas on its menu as well which attracted Dev Anand and the Prabhat crowd. Now I'm told that Lucky has been demolished to make way for a large shopping mall (sad).

IPTA was the incubation ground for some of the greatest stalwarts of Indian cinema. Apart from the Anand brothers, numerous others including actors like Prithviraj Kapoor (and Raj), Balraj Sahni, Utpal Dutt, Sunil Dutt, A.K. Hangal right down to sanjeev Kumar worked there some time or the other to earn their spurs. Then there other luminaries like Kaifi Azmi, his wife Shaukat, daughter Shabana, Javed Akhtar, ever-green Zohra Sehgal and numerous others were part of IPTA. As were technicians like Bimal Dutt, Salil Chaudhary and so on. They all found an extremely contagiously creative atmosphere which was suffused with idealism. IPTA happened to be very leftist organisation with very progressive egalitarian values which appealed all these (then)youngsters. IPTA's role in nurturing this pool of talent certainly deserves to be highlighted.

Rest in peace, no doubt a legend and will remain as such.

Rest In Peace to Dev Saab.
I Still Remember I have seen him Once when I was 8 , I Was once with My Grandmother On a 'Mumbai Darshan' Trip and that's when i first Got His Glimpse at His Bungalow in Juhu.My Brother is 'Die Hard' Fan of His !! and Believe Me he watched His recently Released Movie 'Chargesheet' In Theatre's Only for Him, All His Recent Movies were Proof of His Passion and Love Towards Cinema at this age.
Dev Anand was So Passionate About Cinema , That Still he use to Direct and Act In Films ! The Last Movie i saw of His was 'Mr.Primeminister' - Many of You may not Know About this Movie !
Guide Will Always be My Fav Movie of His !! RIP

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

A Mixture of 'Bogart' and 'Peck' :rolleyes:

Rest In Peace to Dev Saab.
I Still Remember I have seen him Once when I was 8 , I Was once with My Grandmother On a 'Mumbai Darshan' Trip and that's when i first Got His Glimpse at His Bungalow in Juhu.My Brother is 'Die Hard' Fan of His !! and Believe Me he watched His recently Released Movie 'Chargesheet' In Theatre's Only for Him, All His Recent Movies were Proof of His Passion and Love Towards Cinema at this age.
Dev Anand was So Passionate About Cinema , That Still he use to Direct and Act In Films ! The Last Movie i saw of His was 'Mr.Primeminister' - Many of You may not Know About this Movie !
Guide Will Always be My Fav Movie of His !! RIP

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

A Mixture of 'Bogart' and 'Peck' :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Whatever suits you my freind , as im also his biggest fan & the best movie was Guide followed by Jaal &hare rama hare krishna, anyway im at total loss of words to describe the pain of his departure anyway may god make him the brightest star in the sky as he was on earth

Back
Top Bottom