What's new

Desi Corner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue films bhi hai kya??
1701257.jpg

@levina, @Dem!god @Indischer @wolfschanzze @scorpionx @Robinhood Pandey @ranjeet @Sidak @jbgt90 @Star Wars @HariPrasad @sreekumar @AUSTERLITZ and other who are interested in number crunch. The other day while watching Mahabharata, I came across this word "Akhouhini". Below what is copied is from Wikipedia, but thought many might not know about it!! Quite Interesting to read!!

An Akshauhini (Sanskrit: अक्षौहिणी), was an ancient battle formation that consisted of 21,870 chariots (Sanskrit ratha); 21,870 elephants; 65,610 cavalry and 109,350 infantry, as per the Mahabharata (Adi Parva 2.15-23). The ratio is 1 chariot : 1 elephant : 3 cavalry : 5 infantry soldiers. In each of these large number groups (65,610, etc.), the digits add up to 18.

It is said that the size of Pandavas‘ army in the Kurukshetra war was 7 akshauhinis, and those of Kauravas 11 akshauhinis.

The count is arrived as follows:

One elephant (Gaja), one chariot (Ratha), three horses (Ashwa) and five foot soldiers (Padhata) form a Patti;

Three Pattis form a Sena-Mukha;

Three Sena-Mukhas make a Gulma;

Three Gulmas a Gana;

Three Ganas a Vahini;

Three Vahinis a Pruthana;

Three Pruthanas a Chamu;

Three Chamus a Anikini;

Ten Anikinis form an Akshauhini. Thus an Akshauhini, by calculation, contains 21,870 elephants, 21,870 chariots, 65,610 Horses, and 109,350 foot soldiers.

Kuru Army of 11 Akshauhinis is formed by the kingdom of Hastinapura in alliance with races like the Samshaptakas, Trigartas, the Narayana army, the Sindhu army and Shalya of Madra.

Commanders in Chief: Bhishma (10 days), Drona (5 days), Karna (2 days), Shalya (1 day), Ashwatthama (after Duryodhana loses the mace match with Bhima)

• Atirathi: Somadatta, Bhurishravas, Bhagadatta, Jayadratha, Kritavarma, Shakuni, 99 brothers of Duryodhana
  • Maharathi: Ashwathama, Shrutyudha, Shalya, Duryodhana, Kripacharya
  • Atimaharathi: Bhishma, Drona, Karna
Kaurava Army and Duryodhana's side:

• Bhagdatta the veteran - 1 Akshauhini
  • Salya, king of Madra - 2 Akshauhinis
  • Bhoorisravas - 1 Akshauhini
  • Kritavarma (Krishna's Narayani sena of Yadavas) - 1 Akshauhini
  • Jayadratha (Saindhava) - 1 Akshauhini
  • Sudakshina, king of Kambhoja - 1 Akshauhini (has Yavanas & Sakas in his troops)
  • Vinda and Anuvinda (from Avanti) - 1 Akshauhini
  • Five Kekaya brothers - 1 Akshauhini
  • Kuru's own army and others - 3 Akshauhinis all put together
Pandava Army: is a coalition of 7 Akshauhinis, primarily the Panchala and Matsya forces, the Rakshasa forces of Bhima's son, and Vrishni-Yadava heroes.

Commanders in Chief: Dhristadyumna

• Atirathi: Ghatotkacha, Yuyutsu, Drupada, Virata, Uttara, Satyaki
  • Maharathi: Bhima, Nakula, Sahadeva, Yudhishthira, Dhristadyumna, Abhimanyu
  • Atimaharathi: Arjuna
Pandava Army and their Allies:

• Satyaki of the Vrishni clan - 1 Akshauhini
  • Nila of Mahishmati - 1 Akshauhini (from south)
  • Dhrishtaketu, king of Chedis - 1 Akshauhini
  • Jayatsena, son of Jarasandha - 1 Akshauhini (from Magadha) -- (Jarasandha, was slain by Bhima earlier, on Krishna's advice to neutralize Duryodhana's most powerful ally (father-in-law of Sisupal) and his son made ruler of Magadh for this assistance in the Kurukshetra War)
  • Drupada with his sons - 1 Akshauhini
  • Virata the king of Matsya - 1 Akshauhini
  • Pandya, Chola and other allies - 1 Akshauhini
Levels of Warrior Excellence:

Mahamaharathi: A chariot warrior capable of fighting 24 Atimaharathi warriors simultaneously. No warrior has attained this status, not least because there have never been 24 Atimaharathi warriors at the same time.

Atimaharathi: A chariot warrior capable of fighting 12 Maharathi warriors simultaneously. Vali, Ravana, Parashurama, Jambavan, Bhisma, Karna, Dronacharya, Arjuna and Indrajit are Atimaharathis.

Maharathi: A chariot warrior capable of fighting 60,000 warriors simultaneously; circumspect in his mastery of all forms of weapons and combat skills. Yudhishthira, Bheema, Nakula, Sahadeva, Dhristadyumna, Drupada, Virata, Shalya, Duryodhana, Kripacharya, Ashwathama, Satyaki, Abhimanyu and Kamsa were Maharathis.

Atirathi: A chariot warrior capable of contending with 10,000 warriors simultaneously. Yuyutsu, , Uttara, Shikandhi, Dushashana, Vikarna, Jayadratha and Shakuni were Atirathis.

The 4 types of units that make up an Akshauhini can also be seen in Chaturanga, the predecessor of chess.

I'm guessing those are Bollywood Movies ! :what:

In case they are - Please have better taste; watch Hollywood instead ! :disagree:

Try harder to dissuade me.... I am very desi.And I love Indian movies. Agreed that some of them are are slap stick comedies/ luv triangles/revenge sagas but Mr.Ambassador of Hollywood movies, i like it the Indian way. No matter what you say I would prefer watching a hindi movie any day.No reticence!!!

Hehehehehe
I have tried banging my head against that "wall" a few times....believe it or not these days I get invitations (aka mentions) to bang my head. Lol.
@nair gets victimized often :D

Slowly but steadily i am getting used to it..... :P

Yep black and white is what I meant.
Wth, tumne ek bhi poorNi movie nai dekhi???
Bollywood had its own charm ....kabhi fursat se mughal-e-azaam ya madhubala ki koyi movie dekh lena.I liked Dev Anand's movies too. Bahut zamaane dekhi nai.....tonite I'll watch one.

@S.U.R.B.
Doc you haven't given me any new assignment.And it happens to be my weekend. :-)

Wrong Mr.Nair!!
Kerala was portrayed in "dil se" movie. Pretty zinta played a mallu character and how can forget the "diya jale" song??? MG sreekumar had sung that song along with Lata Mangeshkar.

Oh yeah.

how the hell can I forget Dil Se after Chaiyya song?

Amen .. how is life dude??

Not bad :)

@levina @scorpionx @Indischer

I have to say. That Tamil Hindi thread is probably the ugliest thread in terms of regional sentiments.

:/ makes me sad

suspended due to rain

@BDforever why is Snow Queen always so angry?

I remember asking her a polite question and she just went off the handle.

Did the Indian members here troll her or something ?

I'm guessing those are Bollywood Movies ! :what:

In case they are - Please have better taste; watch Hollywood instead ! :disagree:

I am with this guy. Yeah, yeah, colonised brown sahib and all that. But come on, who doesn't love Hollywood special effects?

Or Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom