What's new

Deployment of THAAD: News & Discussions

Well its unfortunate that South Korea is next to North Korea and close to China.
Since we are talking about a nuclear war scenario between US and China, nuclear fallout from SK coming into China will be the least of China and US's problems.

I received my Bachelors' degree in Hokkaido University, served in the JMSDF (Japanese Maritime Self Defense Forces), for several years, afterwards applied for graduate program in the US. I'm a Ph.D-c at RU, my focus is on Industrial Organizational Psychology, and my doctoral thesis is specialized in Quantitative Analysis / Risk Assessment. A college lecturer, and i also work as a risk analyst for a Fortune 500 based in New Brunswick, NJ.

A Pharm.D! Congratulations Dr. Anna. Great to have a health professional in our midst. :) :) :)

Now I understand your civility. An educated man is a well mannered man:yahoo:. Very impressive credentials, hope you stay in the United States when all is finished, we could use more people like you.

Since we are talking about a nuclear war scenario between US and China, nuclear fallout from SK coming into China will be the least of China and US's problems.

I could image China's food supply would be it's major weakness in a war between it and the United States. China sources much of its food supply from the US, any war would interrupt the safe and continuous flow of food to China. Can it feed its military? Are hungry people content? We can't say for certain, but China, due to its large population and lack of workable land does face such uncertainties.

I've no doubt such is planned for, alternative buyers lined up, and for all the talk of war on this thread, even China knows peace is its best option. Despite its errant and unnecessary provocations, it has remains within acceptable boundaries and not resorted to violence.

I respect this.

Last edited:
Now I understand your civility. An educated man is a well mannered man:yahoo:. Very impressive credentials, hope you stay in the United States when all is finished, we could use more people like you.

You honor me, Dr. Anna. I am but an average man trying to find one's place in this world. I hope that we all will be graced with your continued presence and intellectual contributions here. Give Kai a punch on the shoulders for me. A special request. LOL!

Another alternative solution will be if SK is able to assure China that THAAD will be under SK forces control and not American forces control.

I could image China's food supply would be it's major weakness in a war between it and the United States. China sources much of its food supply from the US, any war would interupt the save and conintous flow of food to China. Can it feed its military? Are hungry people content? We can't say for certain, but China, due to its large population and lack of workable land does face such uncertainties.
China gets most of its food from USA? What are you basing this on? Surely snickers, kit kat and Cereals don't count as food.

Another alternative solution will be if SK is able to assure China that THAAD will be under SK forces control and not American forces control.

The Chinese side's remarks is utterly preposterous. North Korea has nuclear weapons, and is criticizing South Korea's decision to use the THAAD system. THAAD is a defensive apparatus, not offensive.

Its not like Seoul is planning to go nuclear...

The Chinese side's remarks is utterly preposterous. North Korea has nuclear weapons, and is criticizing South Korea's decision to use the THAAD system. THAAD is a defensive apparatus, not offensive.

Its a defensive weapon but can have offensive aspects. It is a very threatening weapon as it upsets the MAD doctrine.

Any imbalance to MAD doctrine is a very offensive weapon as it breeds more and faster and deadlier missiles. Reducing the reaction time and increasing the chances of false identification of an incoming nuclear strike. It greatly raises the stakes.

nuclear weapon owners are blaming country want to stop nuclear warhead delivery

China gets most of its food from USA? What are you basing this on? Surely snickers, kit kat and Cereals don't count as food.

Much, not most, let's not conflagrate the two:-).

I said:

"China sources much of its food supply from the US"

If you like hard numbers I'll gladly provide them for you.

In 2013, U.S. exports of consumer oriented food products to China increased 15% and totaled a new record high of over US$3 billion. China now ranks as the 5th largest market for consumer ready food products from the U.S. Top processed food products exported to China in 2013 included cooked and prepared shellfish (cuttlefish, crab, lobster), concentrated milk, whey protein, other processed food, ingredients and beverage bases, other prepared/preserved meats, soybean oil, french fries, lactose/syrup, wine and chocolate (cocoa paste and chocolate candy).

You can read the rest at Food Export

This article also discuss China-US trade in relation to food supplies - I can't post a link apparently, but copy and paste the following words into a search engine.

6 Charts That Show How We Became China's Grocery Store and Wine Cellar

Am i really reading what i'm reading? friend, there are over 30,000 American troops in South Korea now for close to 60 years, approaching 70 years, now. What has China done to mitigate this? your answer should be a clear visage for Koreans in how China should be treated , security wise.

For the Koreans that read your answers...its only a confirmation of some afterthought(s).

I think China's answer should be clear like crystall, if SK let our enemy to intercept our missile on their soil...than they will be really sorry for that...we will not really care of their afterthoughts...position THAAD and still expect us to treate them nicely?? there is no such thing on the world.

All of this of course it's my own option, I don't represent China, hence I will let our gorvernment to sort this THAAD issue out Sk gorvernemnt.

Its a defensive weapon but can have offensive aspects. It is a very threatening weapon as it upsets the MAD doctrine.

Any imbalance to MAD doctrine is a very offensive weapon as it breeds more and faster and deadlier missiles. Reducing the reaction time and increasing the chances of false identification of an incoming nuclear strike. It greatly raises the stakes.

Sir,

Put your place in their shoes. And remember that when India was the sole nuclear power in South Asia, Pakistan, herself, yearned to find a solution to that nuclear threat. Thus, the nuclear capability of India served as the catalyst for Pakistan's own nuclear program in the quest to guarantee a deterrent. Now, Sir, place yourself in the South Korean geostrategic quagmire -- you have a major economic state with a GDP of $1.8 Trillion (South Korea) with a population of 50 million being threatened by an impoverished 3rd world failed state, with a population of less than 25 million , yet has a supposed nuclear arsenal of 200 warheads that threatens the South Korean way of life. Don't you think, Sir, objectively, South Korea should have the right, ability to defend itself against this existential threat (North Korea) ?

Consider your own proud nation's historical context, Sir.

nuclear weapon owners are blaming country want to stop nuclear warhead delivery

Precisely. Its just simply illogical.

Precisely. Its just simply illogical.

I think it's logical, logic of a robber want his robbing effortless.

Statement of SK is very smart, while never intend to stop arming THAAD, they rejected all of attempt to assign THAAD in Korea as defence for foreigners.

One THAAD battery consist of 72 interceptors able to launched at any given point. If China really wanted to saturate a force of this size, they easily could.They have the delivery systems and they have the warheads to do it. I really don't see the problem here.

I think it's logical, logic of a robber want his robbing effortless.

It is a biased visage. So long as Pyongyang is nuclear, Seoul must have the ability to deflect.

South Korea must pursue its national security earnestly, and other states should not interfere in South Korean security concerns.

consumer ready food products
I'm sure China will starve without canned beans and tuna and sausages. Most of the Chinese population can't afford scuttlefish and lobsters anyways. These are READY MADE food goods. They are for middle class families, and even for them they do not make most of the diet. Even in American families these ready made foods don't make most of their diet unless they are single lazy bachelors like me.
Sir,

Put your place in their shoes. And remember that when India was the sole nuclear power in South Asia, Pakistan, herself, yearned to find a solution to that nuclear threat. Thus, the nuclear capability of India served as the catalyst for Pakistan's own nuclear program in the quest to guarantee a deterrent. Now, Sir, place yourself in the South Korean geostrategic quagmire -- you have a major economic state with a GDP of $1.8 Trillion (South Korea) with a population of 50 million being threatened by an impoverished 3rd world failed state, with a population of less than 25 million , yet has a supposed nuclear arsenal of 200 warheads that threatens the South Korean way of life. Don't you think, Sir, objectively, South Korea should have the right, ability to defend itself against this existential threat (North Korea) ?

Consider your own proud nation's historical context, Sir.
Of course nuclear threat is very serious, especially for a nation like SK which has concentrated on building stuff rather than destructive weapons.
I think both of my already mentioned solutions are fair and do not compromise SK's security.
1. China gives some sort of guarantee to SK about protection against NK nukes.
2. SK gives some sort of assurance to China that THAAD will only be controlled by SK military and Americans will not be allowed near it. They can also allow Chinese observors to work at THAAD sites for extra assurance. It will be a good gesture that SK does not mean to threaten China's security.
Now does it compromise SK's security if it's SK forces that control THAAD and not Americans? Of course not.

Both of the mentioned solultions will provide a win-win situation to both SK and China.

Back
Top Bottom