What's new

Deoband fatwa: It's illegal for women to work, support family

i havent read to whole fatwa but the issue very much revolves around this.
its just typical TOI trying to sell the story at the cost of misleading the people.

1. No need to be overly obsessed with ToI, it is published by every newspaper.

2. I have watched the live debate on NDTV with the Kazi of firangi mahal lucknow he was clearly saying that women should not go out and work AT ALL.

Its not that husband earns or not, its about women should be restricted in the house and also they can't talk to another men frankly or without burqa.

ajpirzada seems to be correct. Like always, the media seems to sensationalize the issue and paint its own picture. The clerics in Deoband are certainly not well versed in handling PR or media.

The issue pertains to the problem wether it is cumpolsory for the wife to provide for the family. This is not required and if a wife is forced to do so it is wrong. In other words, a women can continue to work but earn only for herself while the husband is mandated by Islamic law to provide for the wife and children. The wife may or may not share in running the household and it is her choice.

I was pretty sure of a similar fatwa or weather women can work if they follow principles like wearing the hijab, not unnecessarily talking to male colleagues/flirting e.t.c. and it was permissible.

So earning for women/wives is allowed provided some principles are followed. However, forcing the wife to work or using her money say without her permission to run the household is not allowed as it is not her responsibility but the responsibility of the husband to provide for the running of the household
Fatwa ID:*15236 - Darul Ifta

A polite question:
What if the husband loses his job or becomes incapable of working due to say illness / disability? These things actually "force" the woment to work in current times. Actually one of my friend (muslim) was retrenched last year during recession and his wife was only working member for about a year almost. He is a very religious so I was just wondering cause it'll be very rude if I was to ask this to him.

Sorry for a non muslim butt-in.

^^Like I the link mentioned, as long as the woman wears hijab e.t.c. she can work. Obviously it is her choice if she wants to contribute to run the house. And in the example mentioned, she probably is willing to help.
There may be other circumstances were say the husband is handicapped e.t.c. and in which case the wife may have to work to run the household. But she is doing this on her own accord. It is not her duty to do so. There are some rights and duties assigned to husband and wives

Let me also clarify that these are minor issues compared to the most important issues in Islam. It is not as important as the five mandatory things which are to be given the highest importance which are (1) Belief in the oneness of God and the finality of prophethood of Muhammed (SAW), (2)Praying/ Namaz, (3)Fasting(if you are healthy to do so), (4)Giving in Charity/Zakat (if you are financially obliged to do so) and (5)Hajj once in a lifetime (if you are health and have the financial capability to do so.
These are more important than any of the secondary issues raised here.

If a women goes to work and is wearing hijab, prays during her breaks e.t.c then there is nothing wrong. Yes some odd maulvis will say that women should stay at home e.t.c. but Dar-ul-uloom as quoted in my link has said it is permissible and the case was similar except that her husband was already having a job and she wanted to work in the govt. sector as well. Please go thru that link if you haven't already

@TATA

I think you are mixing up a few things. At present Maulana Khalid RAshid of Firangi Mahal has only stated that he is trying to find out who issued the fatwa and on what basis. There is no other statement I could find from Firangi Mahal yet.
Khalid Rashid Firangimahli, a member of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board, said it was unwise to stop women from working. "Let me check with Darul Uloom whether such a fatwa has been issued and who has issued it. The fatwa is unjust because working women provide strength to a family and support their children in leading a better life," he said.
India Today

^^Like I the link mentioned, as long as the woman wears hijab e.t.c. she can work. Obviously it is her choice if she wants to contribute to run the house. And in the example mentioned, she probably is willing to help.
There may be other circumstances were say the husband is handicapped e.t.c. and in which case the wife may have to work to run the household. But she is doing this on her own accord. It is not her duty to do so. There are some rights and duties assigned to husband and wives

Let me also clarify that these are minor issues compared to the most important issues in Islam. It is not as important as the five mandatory things which are to be given the highest importance which are (1) Belief in the oneness of God and the finality of prophethood of Muhammed (SAW), (2)Praying/ Namaz, (3)Fasting(if you are healthy to do so), (4)Giving in Charity/Zakat (if you are financially obliged to do so) and (5)Hajj once in a lifetime (if you are health and have the financial capability to do so.
These are more important than any of the secondary issues raised here.

If a women goes to work and is wearing hijab, prays during her breaks e.t.c then there is nothing wrong. Yes some odd maulvis will say that women should stay at home e.t.c. but Dar-ul-uloom as quoted in my link has said it is permissible and the case was similar except that her husband was already having a job and she wanted to work in the govt. sector as well. Please go thru that link if you haven't already

Thank you, and bolded part is one issue, which I think should be highlighted the most specially to the impressionable youth. It would be great if apart from just these 5 things, other aspects like Honesty and imaan (musallam+imaan as i know) and all basic character building aspects of Islam are listed in a list on the basis of their priority. What I suggest is a list of principals of Islam in a pactical priority wise listing.

If done by competent and acceptable authorities will most probably place Dress, working outside and several other trivial issues most probably towards the bottom of the table. These are easiest of things to do and enforce, but are rather superficial compared to the rest offered by a great religion.

You first need to cleanse your own life of following the higher principles of 5 mentioned in EjazR's post, then move down the priority list on achieving next character building measures and finally to physical appearance / working women etc.

Anyways, another question: If someone thinks that a particular Fatwa is questionable or has certain doubts about it - is there a methodology to challange or appeal against it? Coz generally I have seen them being the final words.

fatwa is a religious opinion and not binding. Some people think fatwa is equivalent to a court ruling and if you don't follow it you are now considered as kafir and outside the fold of Islam. That is NOT the case. Also there is no powerful clergy or head church like the vatican in Islam.

It is a religious opinion by a scholar. It depends on which scholar YOU trust. If you don't feel this particular scholar is credible or knowledgeable you can go to a scholar which you feel is. There is nothing wrong with that.

They might highlight beliefs that may be considered as Kufr about the prophet himself. But just preferring Ali (RA) in itself is not considered as such. I have talked to some shias and they don't hold such beliefs such as Angel Jibrael made a mistake when revealing prophet hood so they would not be considered as kafir. But if there are some who do, then this belief is wrong and a basic negation of the second part of the Kalima.[/B]

No 12er shia holds this belief that Angel Jibrail made a mistake in revealing prophethood. :rolleyes: The Prophet SAW was a Prophet even before this world was made.

I sometimes cannot believe the propaganda preached in the other sects.

Shias in Islam
Shiism

Are you not surprised that not a single 'extremist' or 'terrorist' who either taught or was taught in this School was ever prosecuted by the British and the School was never raided or closed down between 1866 and 1947? Even after the British left, the successive Indian governments also patronized this 'extremist/terrorist' School and never took any action against the 'extremists/terrorists', the 'propaganda' and 'extremist literature' it was cranking out? Something is not right here isn't it? Either the School is not involved in the activities it is being blamed for or the British and Indians are involved in some grand conspiracy against Pakistan in the form of supporting a Deobandi School.

JunooN Ka Naam Khirad rakh Diya Khirad Ka JunooN
Jo Chahey Aap Ka Husn e Krishma saaz Karey

Anything that can oppress the Muslims was used by British including divide and rule. This school fits right in there for British why in hell would they do anything to it when it's doing their job.

Ok, before this thread gets completely derailed by a shia-sunni debate, please let's only talk about other sects here in context of how deobandi fatwas look at them. No one in mainstream Islam questions the credentials of Fiqah-e-Jaafria... the issue here is that only the radicalized fringe of Salafis has trouble with them, and support for such nonsensical discrimination often comes from Deobandi fatwas. The macro point being that Darul Uloom Deoband has encouraged, enabled and propagated a radicalized and ultra-right wing interpretation of Islam. This interpretation has in turn empowered fringe, militant groups. They seek justification for their actions (e.g. killing of shias) in such fatwas which declare shias non-muslim. They then combine the fatwa with some extreme interpretation re jihad in the Quran, and off they go on their quest to kill shias.

The question here is not about whether Shias, Barelvis or any other sect, is good or bad. The issue is the core enablement of undesirable, militant and - I will say it - *evil* actions, that fatwas and interpretations such as those of the Darul uloom lend justification to.

As for the, "but the darul uloom ulema don't go around killing people" argument, sure. But the Al-qaeda mouthpieces in britain who commonly appear on TV don't kill people either. They just provide arguments in support of, or arguments that can be used by, extremist groups. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the connection... when an "aalim" says it is wrong to marry a shia, and yet the Quran says you can marry a lady of the book, what the hell is the aalim really trying to say? That shias are not "of the book". I am just using this example to illustrate a wider point. These radical salafist interpretations have no place in a peaceful society because they become the *root* of trouble. Everyone, including these so-called darul uloom "aalims", knows that misguided people look to them for direction. Over zealous implementation of these fatwas then causes mayhem. They know this... and yet they continue spreading their biases & intolerant views and misery perpetuates.

well i have given u an example of wat exactly are we talking about here. there are things which are obvious and there are things which are not.

i dont want u to agree with me with the following example but only try to get the point.
now how is someone brought up in UK supposed to know that men taking shower together is not correct? or lets say how will the next generation know that men and women taking shower together is not correct? and wat about the generation after that?
everyone knows they need to take a shower to keep them clean but should this be done in privacy or in groups?
now this is where i need a line which is drawn for me by Islam.

Point taken.

Look there is no offense meant & I hope there is none taken. Just as I maintain that religion is a very personal thing so to that end if it is felt that it needs to step in & gently prod youngsters to show them right from wrong-- its ok.

My point is that it would be a waste if ladies who are capable & educated are forbidden to work if they so desire & have the skills & inclination to do so.

Just a little something to share for those who may find it relevant..

Tomorrow you may get a working woman, but you should marry her with these facts as well.

Here is a girl, who is as much educated as you are;
Who is earning almost as much as you do;

One, who has dreams and aspirations just as you have because she is as human as you are;

One, who has never entered the kitchen in her life just like you or your Sister haven't, as she was busy in studies and competing in a system that gives no special concession to girls for their culinary achievements

One, who has lived and loved her parents & brothers & sisters, almost as much as you do for 20-25 years of her life;

One, who has bravely agreed to leave behind all that, her home, people who love her, to adopt your home, your family, your ways and even your family ,name

One, who is somehow expected to be a master-chef from day #1, while you sleep oblivious to her predicament in her new circumstances, environment and that kitchen

One, who is expected to make the tea, first thing in the morning and cook food at the end of the day, even if she is as tired as you are, maybe more, and yet never ever expected to complain; to be a servant, a cook, a mother, a wife, even if she doesn't want to; and is learning just like you are as to what you want from her; and is clumsy and sloppy at times and knows that you won't like it if she is too demanding, or if she learns faster than you;

One, who has her own set of friends, and that includes boys and even men at her workplace too, those, who she knows from school days and yet is willing to put all that on the back-burners to avoid your irrational jealousy, unnecessary competition and your inherent insecurities;

Yes, she can drink and dance just as well as you can, but won't, simply because you won't like it, even though you say otherwise

One, who can be late from work once in a while when deadlines, just like yours, are to be met;

One, who is doing her level best and wants to make this most important, relationship in her entire life a grand success, if you just help her some and trust her;

One, who just wants one thing from you, as you are the only one she knows in your entire house - your unstinted support, your sensitivities and most importantly - your understanding, or love, if you may call it.

But not many guys understand this......

Please appreciate "HER"

Do you make the same complaint when a Doctor tells you to eat healthy food, do regular exercise, show up for annual checkups, take medicine correctly and on time when needed? No, if you are a smart person, you wont complaint because you know the Doctors knows what you do not. The other option is to become a Doctor yourself, learn that art and than based on your knowledge ignore what a Doctor is telling.

God has given us the Quran to follow, not some maulana buffoon. You don't have to become a 'maulana' to know what's good for you. The Quran explains everything clearly.

[6:19] Say, "Whose testimony is the greatest?" Say, "GOD's. He is the witness between me and you that this Quran has been inspired to me, to preach it to you and whomever it reaches. Indeed, you bear witness that there are other gods beside GOD." Say, "I do not testify as you do; there is only one god, and I disown your idolatry."

[6:38] All the creatures on earth, and all the birds that fly with wings, are communities like you. We did not leave anything out of this book. To their Lord, all these creatures will be summoned.

[6:114] Shall I seek other than GOD as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed? Those who received the scripture recognize that it has been revealed from your Lord, truthfully. You shall not harbor any doubt.

Oh but sure, you can take 'moulvi sahibs' advice, provided it makes logical sense:

[17:36] You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them.

Deoband fatwa: It's illegal for women to work, support family

LUCKNOW: Darul Uloom Deoband, the self-appointed guardian for Indian Muslims, in a Talibanesque fatwa that reeked of tribal patriarchy, has decreed that it is "haram" and illegal according to the Sharia for a family to accept a woman's earnings. Clerics at the largest Sunni Muslim seminary after Cairo's Al-Azhar said the decree flowed from the fact that the Sharia prohibited proximity of men and women in the workplace.

"It is unlawful (under the Sharia law) for Muslim women to work in the government or private sector where men and women work together and women have to talk with men frankly and without a veil," said the fatwa issued by a bench of three clerics. The decree was issued over the weekend, but became public late on Monday, seminary sources said.

At a time when there is a rising clamour for job quotas for Muslims in India and a yearning for progress in the community that sees itself as neglected, the fatwa, although unlikely to be heeded, is clearly detrimental.

Even the most conservative Islamic countries, which restrict activities of women, including preventing them from driving, do not bar women from working. At the peak of its power, the Taliban only barred women in professions like medicine from treating men and vice versa. But there was a never a blanket ban on working, although the mullahs made it amply clear that they would like to see the women confined to homes.

The fatwa, however, drew flak among other clerics.

"Men and women in Sharia are entitled to equal rights. If men follow the Sharia, there is no reason why women can't work with them," said Rasheed, the Naib Imam of Lucknow's main Eidgah Mosque in Aishbagh.

Mufti Maulana Khalid Rasheed of Darul Ifta Firangi Meheli -- another radical Islamic body which also issues fatwas -- criticized the Deoband fatwa as a retrograde restriction on Muslim women.

The fatwa was in response to a question whether Muslim women can take up government or private jobs and whether their salary should be termed as `halal' (permissible under the Sharia) or `haram' (forbidden).

Well-known Shia cleric Maulana Kalbe Jawwad, however, justified the fatwa. "Women in Islam are not supposed to go out and earn a living. It's the responsibility of the males in the family," he said. "If a woman has to go for a job, she must make sure that the Sharia restrictions are not compromised," he added, citing the example of Iran, where Muslim women work in offices but have separate seating areas, away from their male counterparts.

In Lucknow, a city with strong secular and progressive traditions, where Muslim families train their daughters to be doctors, engineers and executives, there was a sense of shocked disbelief even in conservative quarters that such a decree could come from those who consider themselves to be advocates of the community.

"I am also a working woman and also ensure that my Sharia is not compromised," said Rukhsana, a lecturer at a girl's college in Lucknow and a member of the executive committee of All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB). "It's not necessary that one would have to go against the Sharia when going to work."

"Name one Islamic country which does not have a national airline and does not hire airhostesses? If I know correctly, even the Saudi Airlines has hostesses and they don't wear a veil," said Shabeena Parveen, a computer professional in the city.

Deoband fatwa: It's illegal for women to work, support family - India - The Times of India

should i cry or should i laugh???

Funny, How Idiotic & Stupid Mullahs from around the world are, its like as if every thing's haram freaking everything!!!

so women just stick to their homes & die with hunger but they must not commit haram act of earning money, fair or unfair....

^^^^
Oh man!!!!Where do they come up with the stuff..........:disagree:

Women can work and she can spend the money as fer her choice. She is not obligated to support the family.

I suggest a anti fatwa against deobandi.........:smokin:

Back
Top Bottom