What's new

Democracy is a failed experiment

So far, this is a good discussion, I hope to continue, so you can stop some of the nonsense.

The state telling people what to do, where to live is not a free society it is my idea of hell

Thats why so many East germans tried to flee to the Western border

First...England was not a 'democracy' during the eras you spoke of.

Second...Democracy is both a goal and a process. Am not going to sugarcoat any starts on being a democracy. For the US, it took a bloody war and in the process it took an even bloodier war for US to being a functional democracy that we are today. For today's aspiring nations wanting to become functional democracies, they have the past experiences of US and other Western countries to draw upon in how to start that process. They have the UN with all of its moral influences and international resources this organization could call upon to assist. The first crucial step is always the allowance of opposition political parties. Without this allowance, democracy cannot grow. The second step is the equally importance of an independent press and in this, there are no shortages of credible third parties like Reporters Without Borders to guide the growth of such an independent press. From these on, it gets even more difficult as there is now fertile ground for debates and violence.

You accept you had a bloody war and a mess. Ok well leave us to be to have our mess stop interfering in our countries pontificating. The process is evolutionary it can not be rushed its like a fine wine. I believe that even you in america do not have the end product. But just because we are at an earlier stage of development its not for you to teach us you ar enot our gods

The state telling people what to do, where to live is not a free society it is my idea of hell

Thats why so many East germans tried to flee to the Western border

On the East and West Germany, it is a complex issue, really need to discuss here?

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

gamit, you can share your views on democracy and I, I'm looking forward to.

You accept you had a bloody war and a mess. Ok well leave us to be to have our mess stop interfering in our countries pontificating. The process is evolutionary it can not be rushed its like a fine wine. I believe that even you in america do not have the end product. But just because we are at an earlier stage of development its not for you to teach us you ar enot our gods
Then how the hell can you say that democracy is a 'failed' experiment? Like I said before, democracy is both a goal and a process. It is a goal in that once a nation is determined to install democratic institutions and mechanisms, the nation is a democracy. It is a process in that the same nation realizes for themselves that their institutions and mechanisms must be constantly adjusted to suit their needs. Once these adjustments are realized and some enacted, the nation is a functional democracy.

On the East and West Germany, it is a complex issue, really need to discuss here?

It was a Communist East germany model vs a Western Democratic state which is a good example in this debate

My freind there is a lot of people here who dont want to have a good discussion they want to put pakistan down or china down and tell us what wonderfull systems they have

It was a Communist East germany model vs a Western Democratic state which is a good example in this debate
I have been to East Berlin when it existed. What a dump...!!! But hey...The Wall was to keep the 'oppressed' West Germans from coming to the "Worker's Paradise".

Why did the arab spring take place? more democracy thats why

Complicated than you think, I may have to explain a lot, considering your common sense. Simply speak, as far as I know people in East Germany is not satisfied with some of the state. Eastern Europe and the Russian people is the same situation. That there is a poll, you can go to search.

Why did the arab spring take place? more democracy thats why

Not at all. 42 years ago gadaffi came into power and one of the intended consequences of his providing his people with free education was that 40 years or so later illetracy had gone and people wanted their rights. If america and west had not interfered gadaffi woul dhave hiklled a few hundred people and the pressure woiuld have been to reform. But the west wanted it quickly so they encouraged more bloodshed so in the fog of war they could steal oil

Back
Top Bottom