What's new

Defense Deals and Realistic Timelines

npm

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
India

With all the euphoria surrounding the new government and its ability (still to be seen in action) to fast track defense deals, I wonder how much we can do and what is that we could achieve realistically in 5yrs. God knows who will form the next govt (Modi may still be there, which form a defense perspective might be a good thing) and if they decide to review all the deals (eg; bofors) and put on hold the deals made by this govt we will be really broken in terms of preparedness and not to mention the cost overruns

You can finalize a project now and then the system itself takes 6-7 yrs to be delivered and then govt changes by them and if the system goes on hold, you are essentially out of money & system or capability undelivered. Do you see such a thing happening. Coz my firm belief is that if there is a regime change then those guys will loot the country.

So in 5 yrs
what can we implement (Delivered and ready to be used any time needed; no dependencies)?

What are our priorities in terms of capabilities needed?

Play nice, don’t offend anyone

-NPM

With all the euphoria surrounding the new government and its ability (still to be seen in action) to fast track defense deals, I wonder how much we can do and what is that we could achieve realistically in 5yrs. God knows who will form the next govt (Modi may still be there, which form a defense perspective might be a good thing) and if they decide to review all the deals (eg; bofors) and put on hold the deals made by this govt we will be really broken in terms of preparedness and not to mention the cost overruns

You can finalize a project now and then the system itself takes 6-7 yrs to be delivered and then govt changes by them and if the system goes on hold, you are essentially out of money & system or capability undelivered. Do you see such a thing happening. Coz my firm belief is that if there is a regime change then those guys will loot the country.

So in 5 yrs
what can we implement (Delivered and ready to be used any time needed; no dependencies)?

What are our priorities in terms of capabilities needed?

Play nice, don’t offend anyone

-NPM
I think India needs to focus more on Producing their own arms rather than spending a big chunk on imports, just my opinion.

I think India needs to focus more on Producing their own arms rather than spending a big chunk on imports, just my opinion.
Our Indigenous industry is not matured yet.We cannot risk our security just for the sake of buying from Indian companies.

Our Indigenous industry is not matured yet.We cannot risk our security just for the sake of buying from Indian companies.
Pakistan would've had the same problem but International sanctions overtime forced us to start our own productions and then get good at it too, obviously with a lot of help from China. :china:

Pakistan would've had the same problem but International sanctions overtime forced us to start our own productions and then get good at it too, obviously with a lot of help from China. :china:
What do you mean by "had"?? You import more than us on per capita basis.

What do you mean by "had"?? You import more than us on per capita basis.
we produce all our own weapons and ammunitions(Pakistan Ordinance Factory) something that India doesn't if I'm not to mistaken

we produce all our own weapons and ammunitions(Pakistan Ordinance Factory) something that India doesn't if I'm not to mistaken
Well You are mistaken and comparisons cannot be made like this.Read the SIPRI's report.

If that pleases you then sure, it will take us a long long long long long long time!
I am telling you the truth you are one of the largest importers on earth and if that is what you are happy and remain delusional then it is all fine with me.Btw this all off topic since the thread is about India an not Pakistan

He is right. We still import ammunition which is not good. Congress destroyed indian defense for years.

Back
Top Bottom