What's new

Defence allocation down to about 1.65 % of GDP, lowest since the 1962 China war

If you think measuring fear factor with F16 one would wonder what could be the confident boost with Su30 MKI the flying beast ? And the total number will exceed 3oo ... Against f16s

And check this out : Who is worried about our new fancy toys. Nice name given by your Pakistan daily by the way :D

Ambition more than threat driving India’s defence strategy, fancy projects, says Pakistani daily

Apparently Su-30 do not invoke any confidence in you guys. F-16 hits very hard on your nerves. So let's leave it at that. We have all seen what just happened.

Well pakistan's real military budget is almost double its declared Defence budget.
So does India's. No one knows about secret strategic procurement which directly comes under PMO for the sake of the national security. Irony is that our revealed defence budget is more than any times you can count on ?

If you think measuring fear factor with F16 one would wonder what could be the confident boost with Su30 MKI the flying beast ? And the total number will exceed 3oo ... Against f16s

And check this out : Who is worried about our new fancy toys. Nice name given by your Pakistan daily by the way :D

Ambition more than threat driving India’s defence strategy, fancy projects, says Pakistani daily

And I expect this cost of arms procurement spikes to the skies. As we face Pakistan and China together. Hope right sense will prevail in Indian MOD to go for big bang arms deals whatsoever. I believe defence budget should be based on threat perceptions reality than any economical constrain. If not there won't be a sovereign country to spend on .

You can't stand up to China in open war. Border stand offs are separate matter. Again we have all seen how that unfurled in 62. That's when China was an exremely poor nation. So again, let's leave it at that. We all know where India stands in comparison to China.

You can't stand up to China in open war. Border stand offs are separate matter. Again we have all seen how that unfurled in 62. That's when China was an exremely poor nation. So again, let's leave it at that. We all know where India stands in comparison to China.
In fact now we can give befitting reply to china in a defensive war.

Defence budget is 3.41 Lakh crores which is roughly 51 Billion $.

More importantly Paramilitary forces like BSF etc is outside the Defence buget, so is RAW, Nuclear missiles etc.

So the real Defence budget is much larger than 51 billion $. Should be closer to 60 Billion $.
Actual defence budget is about $37 billion (at today's ruppee-USD ER), another $13-14 billion on top of that is for pensions but are not strictly part of the defence allocation but lumped together and that's how you get the $51 billion USD defence budget- if you think that is represenatative of defence budget of India you are sorely mistaken, only about $11BN will actually be allocated for defence purchases (CAPEX) the rest, as I have said, goes to pensions and revenue expenditure (OPEX).

+ It makes absolutely no sense to lump in the budgets of the CAPFs, they are police forces under an entirely different ministry (MHA) why would you include them in the MoD's defence budget? No one counts the US's DHS budget as part of the DoD's defence budget.

The defence spending has actually remained rather static for the past 3-4 years but as India's GDP grows the defence budget as a proportion of GDP has begun to decline, in 2013-14 the defence budget (of similar size) was 1.78% of GDP and now it is 1.65% of GDP.

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s @kaykay

even if not a full scale war shows ability that even a smaller armed force with lesser resources can withstand in a defensive engagement.

Doesn't show anything. A small skirmish is no measure to judge full scale war. It is China's reluctance to increase tensions than anything else. China's threat is also a farce. China did not invade Taiwan much less India. They don't consider India worthy of that honour. You are however free to believe what TOI tells you.

I believe more emphasis will be given on Make in India programmes so the expenditure is being cut. Besides Modi govt is trying to plug loopholes in procurement of grocery items.

Is Modi government heading towards not disclosing the defence spendings? Is he going to make it secretive for strategic reason?

I expect this cost to keep going up as more and more defence companies look to milk India.

There are two types of pariahs in the global defence industry:
Pariah 1: Cannot afford to buy weapons.
Pariah 2: Can afford to buy, but denied access to these weapons.

What both pariahs have in common is sour grapes like the bolded part, which expected to rise in the coming decades

There are two types of pariahs in the global defence industry:
Pariah 1: Cannot afford to buy weapons.
Pariah 2: Can afford to buy, but denied access to these weapons.

What both pariahs have in common is sour grapes like the bolded part, which expected to rise in the coming decades

Cast system is India's problem so I wouldn't know about it as much as you do. However I do know about a country which tops weapons import in 2014 and comes a real close second in 2015 and yet freezes to death at 8 F-16s. Now what was the name of that country.......Hmmm........

Cast system is India's problem so I wouldn't know about it as much as you do. However I do know about a country which tops weapons import in 2014 and comes a real close second in 2015 and yet freezes to death at 8 F-16s. Now what was the name of that country.......Hmmm........
You should try guessing the name of country that was crying like tomorrow on proposed Patriot sales to India
Hint: you don't need one

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan warning on Patriot sale

Back
Top Bottom