What's new

Defence allocation down to about 1.65 % of GDP, lowest since the 1962 China war

Doesn't show anything. A small skirmish is no measure to judge full scale war. It is China's reluctance to increase tensions than anything else. China's threat is also a farce. China did not invade Taiwan much less India. They don't consider India worthy of that honour. You are however free to believe what TOI tells you.
You are free to live in lala land.

Even if our defence spending was actually 2% of GDP as you say, that's still very low compared to the other major powers, especially America/Russia.

Our defence budget only seems large because our GDP is large. But in percentage terms our defence spending is very low.

It will probably take until 2020 (when our economic/military reforms are mostly complete) before we start to ramp up the percentage spending to similar levels as America/Russia.

Its higher than us then

You can't stand up to China in open war. Border stand offs are separate matter. Again we have all seen how that unfurled in 62. That's when China was an exremely poor nation. So again, let's leave it at that. We all know where India stands in comparison to China.

Lol My simple question. What could be the status of China after full scale war with Îndią ??? MAD : Mutually Assured Destruction even with out nuclear exchange . 1962 China out numbered us by 1:8 . And our political leadership at that time made a huge blunder . But what happens during the war after that ?
They promised that they will never return !!? Not a single bullet crossed indo China border brother . Our Air force can make sure complete dominance of our airspace . Our Navy rules IOR . Our Army is stronger tha ever.

And if you think F16s are confidence booster and not MKI ? Well good luck with that. Our Mig 29s and Mirage are upgraded to teeth. Now we have tejas with very impressive flying characteristics . :D do u see my point bro

Actual defence budget is about $37 billion (at today's ruppee-USD ER), another $13-14 billion on top of that is for pensions but are not strictly part of the defence allocation but lumped together and that's how you get the $51 billion USD defence budget- if you think that is represenatative of defence budget of India you are sorely mistaken, only about $11BN will actually be allocated for defence purchases (CAPEX) the rest, as I have said, goes to pensions and revenue expenditure (OPEX).

+ It makes absolutely no sense to lump in the budgets of the CAPFs, they are police forces under an entirely different ministry (MHA) why would you include them in the MoD's defence budget? No one counts the US's DHS budget as part of the DoD's defence budget.

The defence spending has actually remained rather static for the past 3-4 years but as India's GDP grows the defence budget as a proportion of GDP has begun to decline, in 2013-14 the defence budget (of similar size) was 1.78% of GDP and now it is 1.65% of GDP.

@PARIKRAMA @anant_s @kaykay

China spends more on maintaining its huge national police force or in short for internal security. But yes Chinas spending on R&D and defence procurement is more than enough to challenge Asian countries. But threat perceptions should be based on enemies you have . Well on this front India's defence budget is more than enough to defend our country's sovereignty . Just one or two new addition of destroyers into our fleet will make huge difference

I didn't know you take pride in being largest importer of arms. As for protest, of course it is reasonable to protest as a smaller nation. Being 5 times large and still crying? I can not comprehend that.
Protect small nation against huge armed forces :D ? Sounds very easy.

Back
Top Bottom