What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Think India will NOT go for 1 Vendor.
The Winner will me Most Likely Rafale Or Rafale+Mig35

1. EuroFigher as discussed way too expensive.
2. Gripen has American parts and is quite like LCA.
3. F16 alreday in PAK.. and F18.. ToT issues.

We are left with MiG 35 and Rafle..

Now.. Rafale is the actual winner .. i think to Keep the numbers under the Money alloted ( Mig being Cheaper ) plus Keeping Russia at his side..

This Could be an equation :

95-115 Rafale
20-35 Mig 35

I really love the Rafale CockPit...

717a316d1c771a9b830cd3998ad5bca5.jpg

Check this Rafale video.

P.S: I appologize if this belongs in multimedia section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: A-D
Don't claim to be an expert, but if India sticks to Russian jets (ie Mig 35 in this case), it'll help homogenise the fleet. The current IAF inventory is a zoo, with British, French, Russian and American aircraft all thrown in. Homogenisation would help in cutting maintenance costs and purchasing different standards of ammo for each. Plus it might help the PAK-FA project.

Any way you have already said that you are not an expert. but care to explain what is the logic you are applying before writing statements like "ZOO".

Don't claim to be an expert, but if India sticks to Russian jets (ie Mig 35 in this case), it'll help homogenise the fleet. The current IAF inventory is a zoo, with British, French, Russian and American aircraft all thrown in. Homogenisation would help in cutting maintenance costs and purchasing different standards of ammo for each. Plus it might help the PAK-FA project.
Look man IAF is not so much of a zoo, Name the US Fighter Aircrafts we have? We have some helos, thats it I believe. I would Go for the F18s for MRCA if full TOT, otherwise Rafael is my choice!

Nitesh,
One question. Have you come across any news that suggests that IAF may consider two different types of fighters. Say one for air superiority and one for ground attack. This might simplfy things to some extent as fighters shall be delivered quickly and price might also remain within the budget.

I dont think this is feasible as the order will get shortened for one supplier, and they wouldnt be so forthcoming in the TOT aspect if the orders get scattered across. Its my Personal Opinion.

never depend on one country for your defense.
as for my choice.

eurofghter is best out of the lot but at the price its been offered i would rather go for F-35.

F-18 SUPER HORNET : It will be second choice with full tot with its varient such as growler.

raphel is not a bad option with its good enough radar

f-16 is about to go out of service from usaf

m-35 we have mig-29 which are almost there. dont depnad on russia much.

never depend on one country for your defense.
as for my choice.

eurofghter is best out of the lot but at the price its been offered i would rather go for F-35.

F-18 SUPER HORNET : It will be second choice with full tot with its varient such as growler.

raphel is not a bad option with its good enough radar

f-16 is about to go out of service from usaf

m-35 we have mig-29 which are almost there. dont depnad on russia much.

Buddy,F-35 still going through its testing phase.and if we go for this fighter then we atleast have to wait for 2020 because of long line of customer before india.

F-18 is good but i don't think US agree for TOT.:disagree:

same goes for eurofighter with long list , we will only be able to get it by 2015-2016. where as for f/a 18 super hornet it will be best deal but only with ToT. I agree it seems difficult i wish bush was still there for one more box of MANGOES we would have got it.

Nitesh,
One question. Have you come across any news that suggests that IAF may consider two different types of fighters. Say one for air superiority and one for ground attack. This might simplfy things to some extent as fighters shall be delivered quickly and price might also remain within the budget.

Ezaz the main aim of going towards MRCA is to get a true multi role platform not for a specific ground attack or air superiority platform. For Air supremacy MKI is there. It's not that the MKI is not multirole. But it is a heavy fighter and cost of operation also has to be taken in consideration. Here the MRCA comes in to picture. The MRCA will replace the MiG27/Jaguar (dedicated land attack platform) the miG29/Mirage200 (Air superiority and limited ground attack) platform. The LCA will find it's way in the lower echelons which will primarily fill the role of interceptors and some ground attack.

The only logic for splitting the order might come if IAF wants to speed up the induction process. Otherwise the order should be for one competitor which should be totally capable of performing all the roles.

Air Force MRCA Update: Field Trials to be Held in April-May 2009

The Air Force will conduct trials of six medium range multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) in contention for a massive $11 billion, 126-aircraft contract sometime in April-May. This was revealed to reporters by Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major during the weekend.

"The technical evaluation of the MMRCA is almost complete. Hopefully, field trials should commence by April-May this year," the ACM said in his address at the annual Air Chief Marshal LM Katre Memorial Lecture. This begins the next phase in which the Air Force intends to purchase sufficient numbers of cutting edge fighter aircrafts to replace the ageing fleet of Soviet era MiG-21 aircraft.

Six of the top global fighter aircraft majors which includes MiG, Dassault, Eurofighter, SAAB Gripen, Boeing and Lockheed Martin submitted their bids in April 2008. The aircraft, in contention for the mega order are the Russian MiG-35, Dassault's Rafale, the Eurofighter Typhoon, the Swedish Gripen JAS-39, Boeing's F/A-18E/F Hornet and Lockheed Martin's F-16. Under Indian industrial offset stipulations the winner will have to source, or re-invest, at least 50 per cent of the contract value through Indian industry or in India.

A request for proposal (RFP) for the 126 combat jets was floated in August 2007 and all those invited responded with their proposals by April 2008. Since then authorities have been studying the copious amount of documents submitted, which in the case of some bidders runs into as many as 10,000 pages. Even as all this impressive clerical activity is being carried out over the years, the fleet strength of the Indian Air Force has dwindled to historic lows which has become a major handicap with respect to reignition of tensions with Pakistan as the terror threat looms large on Indian cities.

ACM FH Major said the current fighter fleet was also being enhanced with an upgrade programme. "The Jaguars, MiG-27s and MiG 21-BIS have been upgraded with latest avionics and weapons systems. Similarly, the MiG-29 upgrade is underway and the Mirage 2000 upgrade will commence soon. The induction of the Sukhoi fighter (Su-30MKI) has been accelerated with the indigenous version from Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) facility at Nashik."

The air chief also hoped the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) programme would gain momentum after initial operational clearance and induction of the aircraft into squadron service by 2010-11.

In the case of the IAF's helicopter fleet, a comprehensive modernisation programme was underway, with the Chetak and Cheetah choppers being replaced with 125 light utility choppers being acquired through a global tender. "The contract for 80 Mi-17 helicopters with advanced glass cockpits has already been signed. They will be inducted in phases from 2010 to 2013," the ACM said. "We are processing a proposal to procure 22 attack choppers, which will be best in its class. We have signed a contract with HAL for 38 advanced light helicopter (ALH), including 16 armed versions with new Shakti engines and glass cockpits," ACM FH Major said.

I think IAF should go for something like this:

70-80 Rafale as they have obliged to provide full ToT

60 F-18 as to please the americans to set a tone for future deals and the F-18 are pretty good except that ToT will be an issue.

60 Mig-35 as they are good and Russians will provide spare parts even in case of any future sanctions and to cement our ties with the russians as ultimately they will help us in dire situations and them not being perturbed by our growing ties with Americans.

The rest grippen is nothing much great as compared to LCA and not futuristic at all.Eurofighter is busy with so many orders from europians that it will take a lot of time to get the AC and they haven't told so far that they will provide full tot.F-16 well India should get it only if Americans give concrete that they will be replacing f-16 with F-35 in near future and provide Tot including it's AESA radar.

However the no.'s 80 rafale, 60 f-18 and 60 mig-35 fit well both politically and technology wise.

I DOTN SEE whats so good about Rafale the only good i think is - full TOT , i bet fa 18 super hornet will make it with full TOT .
MIG 35 are almost like new mig 29.

Aren't you are just saying to make another hochpoch with so many different planes with different armamants to be maintained? Just think about that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom