What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Rafael.
The choice is as simple as that.

Alternatively the IAF could get the EJ-200 on the Tejas and buy the Eurofighter.

The Kaveri from everything I've read so far is a lost case. Can be retrieved certainly, but its not worth the hassle. By March 2010, ADA will presumably award a contract for 100 engines(with an option for another 50) to either GE for the 414 or to Eurojet for the EJ-200.

Alternatively the IAF could get the EJ-200 on the Tejas and buy the Eurofighter.

The Kaveri from everything I've read so far is a lost case. Can be retrieved certainly, but its not worth the hassle. By March 2010, ADA will presumably award a contract for 100 engines(with an option for another 50) to either GE for the 414 or to Eurojet for the EJ-200.

Kaveri is not a lost cause.
and frankly is a comparable and more powerful engine then whats installed on the Rafael at the moment. However ot does weigh more.
Then the Light weight Schema engine.

What we need is domestic engine alternative more than anything else.
We cant export anything with out a domestic engine.
No export means limited investment.'
Export equals greater investment.

Not to mention that A lot of projects are tied into the Kaveri engine at this point.

the Kaveri in its present state is more powerful then the GE-404
but it suffers due to an extra weight and only 93 % efficiency.

getting a domestic engine Holds more value then the MMRCA deal at the moment.

Anybody can buy, very few can build.

And with regards to the Euro fighter.
there is nothing for India to gain in the long run by getting this plane other then possible delays.`

Get Rafael
get domestic.

Get Super hornet
get strategic.

Get Euro fighter
get in line

need i sau anymore.

Last edited:
I do not understand how Euro fighter would be beneficial over F-18 SH or Rafale.

Its my gut feeling is that India wont buy Euro Fighter. Right Now it looks like 70%-30% probability of MMRCA going in favor of F-18 SH where the 30 represents all other fighters taken together.

Having said that I would still love 100 Rafale + 54 SH:smitten:

i prefer 100 EUROFIGHTERS + 89 SHs:yahoo::cheers:

That will go a few billion over budget :no: IF we get two fighters we need to reduce the number a little. The few billions saved could be used for associated logistics.

Feature: Indian Navy's RFI for new aircraft could change the MMRCA game

25 Nov 2009 8ak: The Indian Navy has issued an RFI for 40 naval aircraft (read Yahoo), which unfortunately as per guidelines issued earlier is not available on the internet, so we are restricted in distributing it. Our sources indicate that the Navy may just be looking around for information and may only put in a follow on order with the MMRCA winner, if they have a suitable offering. This may be great news for Boeing's Super Hornet, Dassault's Rafale and bad news for Saab's Gripen and Lockheed's F-16.

In July 2008, 8ak had interviewed U.S. historian Jason Verdugo on why the U.S. should give the USS Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier to India. Part of the discussion was the consideration of fighter aircraft that can be used both on the carriers and on normal military airports. Read that article here.

This reflects badly on DRDO, ADA and HAL as it may indicate that the naval version of the indigenously developed LCA Tejas is failing. Another reason to privatise (not that India needs any more!)?

@ insane
total projected no. my friend is now even more
126+63 for air force
~40 for navy

as much as few more billions are concerned as everybody knows the armed forces cant even utilize the given budget to them so a few billions wont make a dent:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Did anyone in india got tired of this MRCA mula yet?

Kaveri is not a lost cause.
and frankly is a comparable and more powerful engine then whats installed on the Rafael at the moment. However ot does weigh more.
Then the Light weight Schema engine.

Thrust by itself isn't relevant or the RD-33(MiG-29) would have been integrated onto the Tejas long back. Technically, most foreign engines(esp. EJ-200) are far superior to what the Kaveri is aimed to be.

What we need is domestic engine alternative more than anything else.
We cant export anything with out a domestic engine.
No export means limited investment.'
Export equals greater investment.

You can export an aircraft with a imported engine(Gripen exported to RSA-AF). And at this point domestic investment into Tejas is likely to be the only source of funding for quite a while.

Not to mention that A lot of projects are tied into the Kaveri engine at this point.

There is a marine engine under development(which too in underpowered compared to its alternatives).

I don't know of any project that hinges on the Kaveri.

the Kaveri in its present state is more powerful then the GE-404
but it suffers due to an extra weight and only 93 % efficiency.

True but then again the performance of the FE-404 is no longer the benchmark for the IAF.

getting a domestic engine Holds more value then the MMRCA deal at the moment.

Anybody can buy, very few can build.

With the rapidly dropping number of aircraft in the IAF, the MMRCA is one of the most crucial contracts at the moment. Achieving the exclusivity of building an aero-engine is a less important concern.

And with regards to the Euro fighter.
there is nothing for India to gain in the long run by getting this plane other then possible delays.

Well the IAF gets the best air-superiority fighter(after the F-22) in production, with a air to ground capability rivaling its contenders.
I don't believe any delays are inevitable.`

Feature: Indian Navy's RFI for new aircraft could change the MMRCA game

25 Nov 2009 8ak: The Indian Navy has issued an RFI for 40 naval aircraft (read Yahoo), which unfortunately as per guidelines issued earlier is not available on the internet, so we are restricted in distributing it. Our sources indicate that the Navy may just be looking around for information and may only put in a follow on order with the MMRCA winner, if they have a suitable offering. This may be great news for Boeing's Super Hornet, Dassault's Rafale and bad news for Saab's Gripen and Lockheed's F-16.

In July 2008, 8ak had interviewed U.S. historian Jason Verdugo on why the U.S. should give the USS Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier to India. Part of the discussion was the consideration of fighter aircraft that can be used both on the carriers and on normal military airports. Read that article here.

Well this just re affirms what has been the only two choices since the start of the Whole thing
There are only two planes with a naval version.
Superbug and Rafael

More orders means a decrease in Cost per unit. for IAF
and IN can buy planes at a much cheaper price then ever before.

This is about economies of Scale. IN can see an Opportunity here and are willing to cash it in to get some advanced jets.

A possible deal for 240 jets. That's Buying a small air force.
And any company in the world would jump at the chance to be the supplier.

This reflects badly on DRDO, ADA and HAL as it may indicate that the naval version of the indigenously developed LCA Tejas is failing. Another reason to privatise (not that India needs any more!)?

Indian Navy Orders Six Naval Tejas LCA Fighters; Infuses Rs.900 Crore in Programme

Indian Navy has okay-ed the placement of an order for six Naval Tejas Light Combat Aircrafts (N-LCA). At an approximate cost of Rs 150 crore per aircraft, this will provide a Rs 900 crore infusion into the Naval LCA programme.

That investment in the Tejas programme is rooted in the navy's plan to operate both light and medium fighters off its aircraft carriers.

The Naval LCA will supplement the heavier Russian MiG-29K, which has already been ordered from Russia. The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC), being built at Cochin Shipyard, Kochi, has been designed with a separate aircraft lift and maintenance facilities for the LCA, in addition to facilities for the MiG-29K. That has linked the development of the Naval LCA with the construction of the IAC, which is expected to join the fleet by 2014.

But the LCA programme faces a bottleneck in choosing a new engine. Two uprated engines -- the General Electric GE-414 and the Eurojet EJ-200 -- are currently being evaluated, but will be supplied only by 2013-14. And only with the new engine will the LCA have the power to get airborne from an aircraft carrier.

P S Subramaniam, the Director of the Aeronautical Development Agency, which coordinates the LCA programme, explains: "We will fly the Naval LCA with the current GE-404 engine to test its flight characteristics, and whether its structural strength is sufficient for aircraft carrier operations. After the LCA is fitted with a new, more powerful engine we will take the next step of operating from an aircraft carrier."

Meanwhile, a major shore-based test facility is coming up at INS Hansa, in Goa, which replicates an aircraft carrier deck on ground, complete with arrested recovery and a ski jump for take off. This facility, which is expected to be operational by October 2011, will be used for certifying the Naval LCA before actually flying off an aircraft carrier. This will also be used for pilots’ training and for training maintenance crews.

This is was done just one month ago. every time we look overseas does not mean failure domestically.

I was just doing a little light reading.

and look at what i found out.

The French forces were expected to order 294 Rafales: 234 for the Air Force and 60 for the Navy. To date 120 Rafales have been officially ordered. These are being delivered in three separate batches, the most recent being the December 2004 order for 59 Rafales.

The MMRCA deal is in facts the largest order for the Rafael, Dassault has ever received.

They have to be willing to offer more incentives down the line.

They have already given Full TOT even AESA source codes.
SCHEMA ha offered to help finish the Kaveri engine and then install it in the Rafael

Who knows what else they may do to try and seal the deal.

Last edited:
Far from it. EADS isn't going to support the Dassault bid anymore than Boeing is going to pitch for the F-16.
It is already with combined deals of EADS (Eurocopter) and Dassault (Rafale) in Brazil and as I said, the French Gov directly is a shareholder of EADS, so no doubt about support for me.
I think we've strayed from the original line of debate. My original assertion was that politically France(along with Sweden) was the worst choice, yielding little benefit.
France is a veto power in the UN, just like US, Russsia, or Britain and one of the leading countries in the EU. So it is not comparable to Sweden, the only problem is that France already supports India. That's why I said, F18SH for IAF would mainly be a political decision, to get the US on our side for a permanent UN seat.
Well from Brazilian point of view Gripen and SH are pretty competitive offers. And a complete ToT isn't feasible for a production run of only two squadrons worth.
It's not only for the speculated 36 fighter, the real need of Brazilian air force is nearly equal to the MMRCA tender around 100 fighters. That's why so much ToT and other benefits are in the game, even from Boeing.
Well one could argue on the same lines that offering India a place in the four nation EF consortium is a lost advantage to Dassault. It doesn't really work that way though.
EADS already said that India can't be an equal partner, but could be a partner in production of avionics. That of course is still a point for EF, because it means more experience for our industry, new contracts and new jobs in India. Boeing offered similar things with production of of some F18SH parts in India, but these are not really equal to a real partnership, or even a co-development, because Brazil (or India) will benefit way more like that, than with producing minor parts of a fighter.
Upgrading the Mirage-2000 is very important. While no longer cutting edge, its still a very fine aircraft, and in view of the IAF's threat perceptions, its got a lot of potential unlike ... the MiG-21M/MF or the MiG-27.
True, but technically it will be inferior to LCA MK2 and the upg per fighter cost more than buying a new LCA MK2.
It replaced the aging Sea Eagle AShM on the Jaguar.
Has it? I know that there was a RFP issued and Harpoon and Exocet are the contenders, but never heared that they bought it.
And this does not apply to the Rafale because ......
Because the Rafale is not primarily a stealth air superiority fighter! F22 techs like stealth, supercruise, TVC, long range radar are nearly useless in Afghanistan and you don't need a $300 million dollar fighter, if F15s and F18s can to the same too.
The only need for fighters their are for strike missions and because the Rafale can do this kind of missions now it is there and EF is not.
Like I mentioned before the Eurofighter starting with block 15 of Tranche 2 can employ the Storm Shadow, AGM-88 HARM, ALARM, Taurus, Brimstone, JDAMs and Paveway IV.
And as I told you that is not correct, most of it only in testing stage.
Please check your information again. The Captor AESA radar under the CECAR program made its first flight on the Eurofighter in mid 2007. In contrast, the flight testing of the RBE2 AA started in April this year.
CESAR was only a tech demonstrator of the coming Captor E which is not developed now! Even the Gripen NG Demonstrator had a AESA tech demonstrator for a long time, but now they made the first flight of the new Selsex AESA radar. As you can see, the EF is even behind the Gripen NG in this field and as long Italy is against the AESA development, it will be more delayed.
About RBE 2 AESA:
Thales launched the development of an AESA derivative for the Rafale in 1997, the program began developmental testing with Rafale aircraft in 2003 and 2004.

AESA for the RAFALE

That's 3 years before the Cesar tech demonstrator made its first flight in the nose of a test aircraft.
Also, they brought the AESA for trials because the RBE2 PESA is very easily outperformed by every other production(existing) radar in the competition(except perhaps the PS05/A on the Gripen).
As simple as it is, they brought AESA to the trials, because the competiton is for fighters with AESA radars and they have their radar ready! ;)
also the issues that seem to be delaying the Captor are to do with production rather than development. In the event that India orders the EF, it will be delivered with an AESA.
Even Euro Radar officials has stated, if the final decision about the Captor-E won't be taken till dec, it will be more than difficult to have the radar ready for export customers like India and that the first versions for the consortium members could only be ready by 2013.
That's why I said, the EF is a great fighter, but way too delayed in development that IAF can't take the risk and pay such high costs. Rafale instead is more mature now and offers good performance in all roles where IAF needs it. It might be inferior to EF in air superiority missions, but for this role IAF already has MKI and is developing FGFA.

with rafale there is only one problem ...the same upgradation just like mirage...
however i still believe if everything is sorted out in eurofighter like its radar then it is the best bet ... however as i said before ideal situation would be to divide the vendors.....
120- EF
~100- F/A-18

Two platforms isnt really a good choice....because bulk of the jets would be home made.....and building infrastructure for two different fighter's making with tot will be time consuming and will burn our pocket deep that way!

The New Deal of +40 ACs will definately make companies rethink.
Its a win win situation for All Sides.

The Companies will get a huge Cash even in recession era as of now, and will get even more for spares and future support.

IN will have a Cheaper buy, IAF can go for even better arm twisting and negotations and get what they really want.

IMO, since im a big Rafale Fan..
if we are going for 240 ACS we should have...

124-200 - SH18 [ for IAF ]
40 - Rafale [ for IN ]
[ So ONE platform for Each Arm ]

Rafale being similar to Mirage will NOT cost much for the Inra development and getting all set new structure for SH.. that too 200 in Nos. is okey.

Though i think its wise to go for ONE A/C .. less head ache ..
But Then 2 A/Cs from Two countries means good... Politically.

Mig 35.. No value as FGFA is in pipeline and They both will arrive at the same time as Mig has already indicated delays.

Gripen .No.. LCA MK II is preferable. even if its Late. Cheap and Indegenious.

EF . The Best ,, But is Uneconomical both Money wise and Politically.

So Its SH18 or Rafale or Both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom