What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prioritise defence buys: Arun
OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT
New Delhi, June 4: The defence ministry is drawing up a list of major acquisitions for the armed forces that should be contracted urgently.

Defence minister Arun Jaitley was understood to have asked secretaries to prioritise acquisitions based on urgency of requirement and processing of the cases.

Topping the list of pending acquisitions is the fighter aircraft for the Indian Air Force. The IAF selected the Rafale fighter jet over two years ago. The cost of the acquisition of 126 Rafales could now top an estimated $20 billion. The IAF has also projected a need for six additional C-17 Globemaster III strategic airlifters.

For the army, the defence establishment has been aware of the need for heavy artillery guns. The artillery modernisation plan is estimated to cost about $3.8 billion.

The army’s biggest force-accretion was set rolling last year with the CCS approving the creation of a Mountain Strike Corps. To be headquartered in Bengal’s Panagarh, the corps will be equipped for the China frontier.

A crucial element in its arsenal will be the ultra-light howitzer, a Bae Systems made M777. The proposal to buy 145 of these guns has been in the works for over five years.

The army and the air force have also asked for light utility helicopters that can operate in the Siachen Glacier area. The Army Aviation Corps has asked for 197 such helicopters.

The IAF has also selected Boeing’s Chinook CH-47F helicopter for its heavy rotorcraft need and the Apache Longbow AH-64D for its attack helicopter requirement. There has been tardiness in procuring 16 multi-role helicopters for the navy costing nearly $6 billion.

Prioritise defence buys: Arun

So we are looking nearly 100 billion dollars buying in next 5-10 years

By 2022 the Indian Mil will have spent $100 BN on capital acquisitions from 2012. The IAF by 2025-7 will have spent $150BN by itself.
seriously bro? :o:
total defence budget today is 36 billion $ ,lets us say we have a average yearly increase by 10% (unlikely).
In that rate by 2022 our Total budget will be 77.17 billion $ and capital acquisitions cost may be one third of that.
So, 27.7 billion $.
Too much daydreaming is bad for health bro. :meeting:

seriously bro? :o:
total defence budget today is 36 billion $ ,lets us say we have a average yearly increase by 10% (unlikely).
In that rate by 2022 our Total budget will be 77.17 billion $ and capital acquisitions cost may be one third of that.
So, 27.7 billion $.
Too much daydreaming is bad for health bro. :meeting:
Its NOT the annual captial expenditure budgets I am refereing too but the cumlitive defence spending on acqusitons.Everything I have said is based on fact, no daydreaming about it- $100BN spent in TOTAL on new equipment by 2022 by all 3 forces and $150BN by 2025-7 by the IAF from 2012:

IAF to procure equipment worth $150 billion | India's first NewsPortal on Projects

@sancho Are we buying F3R Version ?
IAF's version will be tailormade for the IAF along the lines of a F3+ version.

Are we buying F3R Version ?

No and yes. The version proposed in the MMRCA was the F3+ and if we fix the deal before Qatar, the first squadron might still come in that technical standard, while the licence production might include F3R as the base standard, because of the delays of the competition now.
However, most of the F3R upgrade is not important for India and mainly aimed on the needs of French forces and interoperability with NATO forces. Only METEOR, upgraded A2G fire control and SPECTRA capabilities would be interesting.
It also will be interesting to see when the customization for India (IRST, HMS, most likely the Litening LDP and as @halloweene said, the SATCOM link) will be ready and implemented. I somehow doubt, that all of that could still be ready for the first squadron, which then might be added to the F3R standard too. That's exactly why I say that the MoD / DM actually must re-evaluate at least the changes of both fighters, based on the new delivery timeline, to get the best package at the best price for India.

There are also some improvements on Radar. But anyway F3R is mostly a software standard (and retrofittable). India should get a "F3I" standard, with specific upgrades etc.

There are also some improvements on Radar. But anyway F3R is mostly a software standard (and retrofittable). India should get a "F3I" standard, with specific upgrades etc.

More interesting would had been an F3 FI (France India)!

PHOTO+%282%29.JPG

PHOTO+%281%29+%281%29.JPG

PHOTO+%283%29.JPG

These beauties just landed: formation flights of French Air Force Rafales with an IAF MiG-27 and Su-30 MKI over Rajasthan for #Garuda5. More soon.
Livefist: Feast Your Eyes On This: Here's #Garuda5 Mid-air

The MiG-21 looks absolutely terrific in the first photograph!
Never thought I'd say this but I would miss this aircraft in the coming years..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom