What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
why not India include su-35 in the mmrca deal because it has the same medium-heavy class like EF and F-18 and much cheaper.

SU 30'MKI' version is the Indian version of SU 35 because of its similar features and components, plus it costs $65 million (according to wiki).
Beside GRIPEN, MIG 35 will be a good option.

SU 30'MKI' version is the Indian version of SU 35 because of its similar features and components, plus it costs $65 million (according to wiki).
Beside GRIPEN, MIG 35 will be a good option.

Thats's right, both has PESA radar, an engine with TVC but the Mki is bigger and heavier. The main difference might be the new airframe of Su 35, it should provide a better RCS and no canards.
MRCA should give IAF something what the it don't have right now like AESA, SC, or better A2G capabilities. That's why Mig 35 is the right choice and not Su 35.

Thats's right, both has PESA radar, an engine with TVC but the Mki is bigger and heavier. The main difference might be the new airframe of Su 35, it should provide a better RCS and no canards.
MRCA should give IAF something what the it don't have right now like AESA, SC, or better A2G capabilities. That's why Mig 35 is the right choice and not Su 35.

guys MMRCA is MEDIUM MRCA su-27 family falls in the heavy cat.

IAF wants something like the combo of f-15 and f-16 or f-22 and f-35 or su-27 and mig-29 combo and not to forget much needed new tech. and anyway we might be seein a new AESA on the rambha by 2015 and 2017

:cheers:

I hope its not MIG-35. We dont need put all of our eggs in one basket. Russians are not honoring the contact that we signed with them.

I hope its not MIG-35. We dont need put all of our eggs in one basket. Russians are not honoring the contact that we signed with them.

whatever you think or fear IAF will go for something that suits it and fits the bill too if they want PLUG N PLAY there is nothing better than a mig -35 AND GUYS REALLY RUSSIAN PLANES ARE NOT BAD AT ALL atleast airframe and usefulness wise look at the mki its the best fighter in south Asia right now may be mig -35mki will be something similar to it and seriously ONLY Russians allowed us to have something better than what it has in its own air force and amreeki maal is not that type its always amreeka jindabaad and SUPER VIPER may be better than American f-16s and mind you its being phased out for f-35 ,i realize that f-16 is the road to f-35 but IF we will have f-35 s it will not be customized if the customized version will be better than American planes

:cheers:

Lockheed Martin Eyes Defense Deals Worth USD 15 billion with India by 2014-15

Dated 20/2/2009

American Defense and Aviation Giant Lockheed Martin Corp (LMT.N) is aiming for deals with India worth $15 billion in the next five years. Lockheed last year sold six C-130J military transport planes to India for about $1.1 billion, India's biggest arms deal with the United States.

The sale was seen by analysts as a sign of growing ties between Delhi and Washington and the reversal of a decades-old reliance by India on Soviet or Russian equipment. India is now looking to modernize its largely Soviet-era weapons systems and, according to Douglas A. Hartwick, chief executive officer of Lockheed's Indian operations, it could be spending $30-40 billion dollars a year on defense within five years.

"You are talking about real money after a while," Hartwick said on Thursday. He told Reuters that Lockheed was focusing on winning contracts for multi-role fighter aircraft, military transport aircraft, naval helicopters and missiles. "We will pursue defense deals worth $15 billion and growing leading up to the next five years," he said.

Six international companies, including Lockheed, have submitted bids to supply India with 126 multi-role fighter jets. Fighters made by Boeing Co. (BA.N) along with Russia's MiG-35, France's Dassault Rafale, Sweden's Saab (SAABb.ST) KAS-39 Gripen and the Eurofighter Typhoon - built by a consortium of British, German, Italian and Spanish companies - are all in contention for the more than $10-billion contract.

LEGAL OBSTACLES

A legal clause that allows U.S. inspectors to monitor arms it sells to New Delhi is proving to be an obstacle for the two U.S. companies bidding for the deal. Hartwick, a former U.S. diplomat said the U.S. Congress and the government should work together to solve the issue.

"It is important for the United States, not just the government, but the U.S. Congress to work hand in hand on these issues," Hartwick said. "The U.S. is looking for a clear-cut, top quality assurance that technologies released to whoever our partners are, will be as protected as it were in the United States," he said.

India is talking to the United States on "end-use monitoring" under which the United States reserves a right to make sure U.S. arms sold abroad are not passed to third countries. Senior Indian defense officials have told Reuters that the United States could satisfy India by not implementing a provision that allows physical verification of equipment. But India could agree to give regular briefings to the United States.

Hartwick said a breakthrough could be in sight for early next year, but Lockheed would still go ahead with its India plans and is already talking to potential partners for research and technology development. "We are talking to some of India's industrial best to come up with ideas and partnerships that have long-term potential for Lockheed and long term potential for India," Hartwick said.

I have no clue why they -Lockheed martin kept this high nose about this deal till now. And as far as i am concern for me they got the weekest deal here. I hope politics will stay away from such important deal for nation and Lockheed is kept outside. They have amazing fighter but just in this perticular case opposition is too strong for them. i guess.

I have no clue why they -Lockheed martin kept this high nose about this deal till now. And as far as i am concern for me they got the weekest deal here. I hope politics will stay away from such important deal for nation and Lockheed is kept outside. They have amazing fighter but just in this perticular case opposition is too strong for them. i guess.

The problem is not just the competition but Uncle Sam's attitude :devil: . India should not go for US products unless they have a significant advantage over the competitors, which is unlikely in MRCA deal.

Unkil sam is not good for India or Pakistan

F16 is a very old airframe and F18 is not that deadly, Mig35 looks good with those specs but some deficiencies, we should look at Rafael/EF typhoon and a combo with another fighter, i think a split order will be better considering the fast that the MMRCA order is going to be around 200 instead of 125 earlier anticipated.

maybe Mig 35 will be good to replace the older mig 29 in IAF inventory

Unkil sam is not good for India or Pakistan

F16 is a very old airframe and F18 is not that deadly, Mig35 looks good with those specs but some deficiencies, we should look at Rafael/EF typhoon and a combo with another fighter, i think a split order will be better considering the fast that the MMRCA order is going to be around 200 instead of 125 earlier anticipated.

maybe Mig 35 will be good to replace the older mig 29 in IAF inventory

Mmrca is not replacement of Mig-29 if know that mig-29 already goes for upgradation coze of this it can easily extend 15yr more of his life. It can easily go to 2025-2030 and May be replace by FGFA or MCA for future not mmrca.

Keeping in view of the Choice of the Pilots.. Rafale is the Best Choice.

AESA Radars Are A Highlight of Aero-India

AESA Radars Are A Highlight of Aero-India | AVIATION WEEK

Active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar technology is a requirement for India’s Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) competition, the biggest in the world. Consequently, a lot of maneuvering was apparent at the Aero India show last month, as fighter manufacturers worked to define their AESA answers and (in some cases) stall competitors.

Boeing’s F/A-18E/F Super Hornet has the simplest answer. Raytheon’s APG-79 radar is standard on the Block 2 airplane, the current variant, and Boeing has not indicated it’s considering alternatives. This allows Boeing to wave a low-risk banner, offering, essentially, the aircraft flying with the U.S. Navy and on order for Australia.

Lockheed Martin had a choice of three radars. Raytheon’s Advanced Combat Radar (RACR) and Northrop Grumman’s Scalable Active Beam Radar (SABR) fit in an F-16, but Lockheed ultimately chose Northrop Grumman’s APG-80, in service in the United Arab Emirates’ F-16E/F. Two reasons are behind this, says Northrop Grumman: The proposed F-16IN for India is similar to the E/F and can accept the APG-80, which needs more power and cooling than RACR or SABR, and is lower risk. Northrop Grumman says no APG-80 antennas have had to be repaired, in normal use, since tests started over four years ago. “The antenna will outlast the airframe,” the company says. A few modules might fail over its lifetime, but they won’t affect performance enough to make it worth unsealing the radome and replacing them.

Eurofighter holds a unique view of the AESA issue. Executives say the Selec Captor mechanically scanned array (MSA) beats any in-service AESA for the Typhoon’s mission. A clue to their thinking emerged at an Aero India seminar. Peter Gutsmiedl, senior vice president of engineering at EADS Military Air Systems, pointed out ways in which an AESA could be integrated into Typhoon, including small side arrays, an azimuth gimbal and the so-called “swashplate” radar, a canted antenna on a rotating mount. The goal is to overcome drawbacks of a fixed AESA: narrower field of view than an MSA and diminishing effective aperture and performance at the edges of that field.

Meanwhile, a spat between France and Sweden is developing. In 2007, Saab struck a deal with Thales to provide an AESA antenna for the Gripen Demo program, to be mated with the signal processor from the JAS 39C’s Saab PS-05 MSA radar. The Thales AESA replaced the passive-scan antenna of Rafale’s RBE2.

But three things happened: Thales and Dassault were given the go-ahead to develop and produce the AESA for Rafale; Dassault has taken a large shareholding in Thales; and the Gripen NG has emerged—in India and Brazil—as a competitor to Rafale. Thales will honor the Gripen Demo contract but its AESA will not be available for a production NG.

Sweden has talked about RACR, but would prefer the PS-05/A’s “back end” modules for ease of integration and to stay away from control issues associated with U.S. components. The answer may lie with Selex, which, first as Ferranti, then as GEC-Marconi and subsequently as BAE Systems, was Sweden’s partner on the original PS-05/A.

Selex, in accordance with the philosophy of John Roulston, leader of the Captor design team, has been working on simpler, lower-cost ­AESAs—in fact, its first production contract was not for a fighter radar but a retrofit to U.S. Coast Guard HC-130s. Its Vixen series of forward-looking radars, banned by the U.S. from South Korea’s F/A-50, also received a launch order from U.S. Customs and Border Protection, with the 500-module Vixen 500 to be integrated on Cessna Citations.

It’s not surprising, therefore, that Saab is in talks with Selex about using its AESA technology in the Gripen NG radar. The NG is not competing with the Typhoon except in India. It is also unlikely (as different as they are) that both aircraft would make an MMRCA short list.

Looks like the French are desperate to sell their Rafeale's to India, i dont think they will be happy once the contract is awarded to LM for F18 Super Hornets.

By asking GE to stop supplying engines for the shivalik, Americans have reminded Indians what they are made off.

Russians have been traditional partners, but for this especially if we need on time we need to look at the french and their rafaels. Russians would be happy with the MIg29K, Gorkshov, Nuke subs, and new vessels for IN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom