What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any elections, Mid term or otherwise coming up in India?
Or any of the nations that house the companies bidding for the MRCA?
Since the evaluations are all complete..
even the JSF flyoff did not take this long to conclude who won.

If India picks Eurofighter, it will create thousands of jobs here
BY: LIVEMINT

Eurofighter GmbH, formed in 1986, is a consortium of three companies- Alenia Aeronautica, BAE Systems and the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS). It is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of advanced fighter aircraft, and one of six companies in contention for the $10 billion for the 126 aircraft Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) deal. Their Supervisory Board of Eurofighter met in India for the first time on October 25 & 26. Mint met Bernhard Gerwert, CEO CASSIDIAN Air Systems & Chairman Supervisory Board, Enzo Casolini, CEO, Eurofighter GmbH, Enrique Barrientos, CEO Cassidian Spain, Christopher Boardman, managing director Typhoon Mission Support & International Programmes, BAE Systems and Maurizio de Mitri, senior vice-president Commercial Defence Aircraft, Alenia Aeronautica, for an interview.

Eurojet’s EJ200 lost out in the race to be the engine for the Mark-II version of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). What do you think went against the EJ200? The consultant for Eurojet, reportedly had privileged information on the bids. Would this not dent your chances for the Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) deal, considering the Eurofighter uses the same engine?

Bernhard Gerwert: We were not involved in Eurojet’s campaign. The EJ200 of course, being the engine, is important for the Eurofighter. But we do not have enough knowledge about the offer of Eurojet for the LCA. We however recognize that the decision has been taken and the GE engine was declared as the lowest bidder. We have no shareholding in Eurojet. It is a supplier for us, and a totally independent company, so I believe it will not affect our campaign for the MMRCA.

By when do you see a down selection or a shortlist coming, if at all? By when do you see the final MMRCA deal being signed?

Bernhard Gerwert: I would be pleased if I were in a position to answer that. What we know is that the flight evaluation is over and that the Indian Air Force (IAF) has submitted the report to the ministry of defence. The offset offers are being discussed. We have received queries on our offset offer. So the process is progressing well. I expect the commercial envelopes to be opened soon, in the next few weeks or months.

How did the Eurofighter perform at the field trials? Were you satisfied with the performance? One understands that there were a couple of minor glitches. Any comments?

Bernhard Gerwert: We are quite satisfied with Eurofighter’s performance. The feedback which we have got is quite promising. I think we have done a good job in India, with the support of the air forces in Europe. Overall I think it went well. Our own feedback for the performance is quite positive. I cannot talk about the feedback that our competitors received.

Conventional wisdom suggests that at the end of the day, the decision on the MMRCA will be a political decision, that will be taken, keeping in mind India’s long term strategic interests. In such a scenario, do you see a realistic chance that the Typhoon will win?

Bernhard Gerwert: If we thought we did not have a realistic chance to win the MMRCA campaign, we would not be here. You can imagine that such a campaign is a huge investment for us all. The team has been working in India for the last two years. The flight evaluation trials have cost us a lot of money. Do you believe we would do that if we thought we did not have a realistic chance of winning the deal? So, without any doubts, we strongly believe we have a good chance.

There is talk of cuts to defence programs in Europe. How will it impact Eurofighter? Italy, in fact, reduced its order of Eurofighter jets by 25 and the Germans grounded their fleet citing security concerns. How will that impact you? Does it not affect how the aircraft is perceived?

Enzo Casolini: Officially, there is no document that suggests that Italy has reduced its order for the Eurofighter. Thus far, it is mere speculation. We have a total commitment of 620 aircraft, under the so called four nation “umbrella contract,” and we’re sticking to that till someone officially comes to us and tells us they don’t have the money and so have to reduce or cancel the contract. As for your other question, the fleet was grounded in all the countries due to a problem related to the ejection system, which was solved within a week. The same ejection system is used on the LCA as well. As for perceptions, we have a track record of 100.000 flying hours with just one accident. So, our safety record is much better than the others.

Christopher Boardman: The UK has had a defence review, whose results have been announced and are now being implemented. The UK has had to make some tough decisions in the current economic climate, but its chosen to retire its older aircraft, the Harrier and has reaffirmed its investment commitment into Eurofighter. From the very beginning, the Eurofighter was designed to be upgraded to greater capability, and the UK government is now committed to that. There is an expectation that the Eurofighter will carry the bigger defence burden as we go forward in time.

You have reportedly said that if you win the contract, you will move avionics operations and a few thousand jobs from Europe to India. In light of the above situation, isn’t that a bit too far fetched? Isn’t avionics too high end a domain to be moved to India?

Bernhard Gerwert: Let me correct you. We already have an EADS engineering centre in Bangalore, which was started three years ago for Airbus. In the beginning of this year, we have also opened our military engineering centre in Bangalore. We have hired twenty engineers there, but our intention is to ramp up our strength to 250-300 people by 2012. This program is independent from the Eurofighter. So, for the moment, we are not talking of moving thousands of jobs to India. If, however, the Eurofighter is selected, then, we would be contractually bound to affect a sixty percent technology transfer. Now, in Europe, the Eurofighter program employs roughly one hundred thousand people. We have roughly 400 main sub-contractors in Europe. So, if India decides for the Eurofighter, the technology transfer clause would mean that we would create thousands of jobs in India.

How do you plan to meet your offset obligations, assuming you win the MMRCA deal? Can you specify what projects will you undertake for this?

Bernhard Gerwert: Our consortium has offered a lot of different projects, which will help us to meet our offset obligations. Our offer is under consideration by the offset committee. But I cannot specify what we have offered.

Eurofighter is reportedly in talks with Indian firms like Mahindra and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), “to plug them into the consortium’s global supply chain.” Could you please elaborate on this? What synergies are you looking at? How would it help you?

Bernhard Gerwert: We must make a distinction here. Now, in Europe, we have “national champions.” BAE is a national champion for the UK, EADS-CASA in Spain, Finmeccanica in Italy and EADS in Germany. If we win the MMRCA deal, HAL will, most probably, be the national champion in India. In addition, we would require strong partner suppliers for the program. Companies like Mahindra and L&T and others could then become important partners. In addition, we might have to involve a lot of smaller companies for the same.

India’s relationship with most European countries continues to be bilateral rather than multilateral. India does not directly deal with the European Parliament. The other five contenders for the MMRCA belong to specific countries with which India has strong bilateral ties, unlike Eurofighter, which is a consortium of several European countries. Do you think that can have a negative bearing on your chances to win the contract?

Enzo Casolini: We think that rather than being a weakness, it would be a strength. Four countries are involved in this project, and so instead of being just bilateral, it will foster a quadrilateral relationship.

Eurofighter is largely perceived as being EADS, as it is the only consortium partner that is sene promoting it; it is often said that the Italians and Germans have their own agendas; the French always promote Dassault over the Eurofighter and the US is seen as promoting the Hawk over the Eueofighter. There is also a NATO linkage; 5% of EADS is held by the Kremlin, and that pits it against the US lobby, making your job tougher. Any comments?

Enzo Casolini: In Eurofighter, we designate “elite companies” and “elite nations” for specific jobs. The only reason you see EADS more than the others is because in India, EADS is our “champion.”

Bernhard Gerwert: The Russians are no longer shareholders, their participation ended years ago. Yes, EADS is not getting any support for this deal from the French government. This is obvious, as Rafale (Dassault), a French company, is our competitor and is getting French support. The leading aerospace companies in Europe are behind the Eurofighter program. Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK are extremely strong nations that are backing us. The advantage of working with us is we know how to partner with others, our program is fundamentally a partnership. It might be hard to imagine that the right wing comes from Italy and the left wing from Spain, with assembly lines in different countries. But it works excellent, and we have the best combat aircraft in the world. This is the strong advantage we have.

Christopher Boardman: In BAE Systems, we are absolutely clear, India is of strategic importance. We want to be part of India and we want India to be part of our company. We see this program as a potential game change, and we support EADS on anything and everything that is necessary. So, I understand the perception. We are trying to simplify the interface with the Indian government. But, be assured that we are one and we all have our individual and collective interests. We have worked collaboratively in India for forty years and over 1.000 aircraft of British origin has been produced in India thanks to this strong relationship

There have however been several cost over-runs in the Eurofighter program. What do you have to say about that?

Christopher Boardman: You can take up any big defence program in the world, and they have all had cost over-runs at some point or the other? These are highly complex programs and cost over-runs do happen. In the US, in fact, they are quite used about it. In Europe, national audits have found that almost our programs have met their targets. The contractors in Europe will tell you that we deliver within the set cost parameters.

Bernhard Gerwert: On the production contract for the Eurofighter, we do not have any cost over-runs. We signed the contract in 1998, and we have exactly been within our cost parameters. This was even confirmed last year.

How would the Euro-US$ equation impact your price competitiveness especially vis-à-vis your American competitors?

Bernhard Gerwert: We strongly believe that with the current exchange rate, we are okay. It does not give us much competitive advantage.

Christopher Boardman: If this were a question of 2-3 years, the exchage rate question would be pertinent, but we are looking at a forty year commitment, a period so long that we cannot predict how exchange rates would move.

Boeing has said that it was not satisfied with the work done by Alenia Aeronautica SpA, on its 787 Dreamliner and that it had ”discovered flaws in the workmanship on the horizontal stabilizers where they connect to the tail area of the plane. That required inspections on all of the test flight planes and some of the already-completed production aircraft.” What do you have to say about that?

Maurizio de Mitri : It is not a big problem. These kinds of problems are quite common for a development stage in a complex and very modern program like the 787.

The Airbus A400M military transporter is reportedly facingtechnical and financial problems. Reports say that it is uncertain to win the $35 billion Pentagon contract for 179 tanker aircraft? What do you have to say on that?

Bernhard Gerwert : Yes, that was the case until last year, but that has now been resolved. We have renegotiated the A400M contract and the first flights in spring 2010 have been very successful.

Airbus did not loose the contract for the tanker aircraft, they in fact won it. Airbus won the contract, but the US government canceled it, after Airbus was selected. Now, there is a new Request for Proposal (RFP) on the table, and Airbus has answered it.

How have the Typhoons been doing against the Su-30MkI at the war games at Kalaikunda?

Christopher Boardman: The exercises are going on between the Royal Air Force (RAF) and the Indian Air Force (IAF). Since the exercises are still on, it would not be proper to pre-judge the performance.

Are there any elections, Mid term or otherwise coming up in India?
Or any of the nations that house the companies bidding for the MRCA?
Since the evaluations are all complete..
even the JSF flyoff did not take this long to conclude who won.

The IAF has submitted its report to GoI, final call is for GoI to make.

Although I seriously hope that F-18/16 do not win.....recent C-130j deal is an example of what can happen while dealing with US in high-technology defenceequipments.

Looks like the race is with Eads and Boieng..

Nothing about Rafale has been heard. Seems they have given up hope and are content with Mirage updates with 2 billions

Let EF win.. jobs and the best one after Rafale.

Even I don't for Super Hornets, though that's a great machine but again American whom we can not rely upon in terms of tech transfer... They delivered us the USS Trenton with major deficiencies and later only apologized for that and then took the ownership od making it up to the required standards, Now this C 130 thing and who knows what they have in mind for the F/A 18s that they plan to deliver to us. F 16 is trash so no way Im gonna talk about that, Gripen is too light but I do concider that as it has great weapon options to offer, Mig 35 again is not up to the standards that IAF requires and lacks on weapon options and weapon loading factor, EFT is an ASF and we don't need one as of now as we already are going to have MKIs and FGFA in the near future filling that necessity and moreover it's damn expensive.... Rafale is the most potent option but I don't know for what reasons we are not getting enought positive vows for the same.. Rafale has been my favorite since the very first moment when I came to know about the MRCA thing... It's very agile, good avionics package, but again as death bu chocolate said that France has damaged it's reputation in terms of afterservice or any further developement aspect with the countries it had sold Mirages to.... India is one of them so currently it's still unclear what comes as a final judgement... I just hope if it's F/A 18, US is given no option to play with the deal or else we are going to get screwd.. Rest all is just a matter of hoping for the best indeed...

Let's see:

Now among ET, Gripen and rafael...i think ET is the best by far.
if it is that much superior then why their own partner reducing their order and want to buy F-35 As their ceo say it is better then F-35 and comparable with F-22 why not they get any export order till now except UAE. and country like Israel, Japan, Uk.....etc want F-22 but USA denies. and F-35 has 1000 f/a export order in their pocket still in testing phase.

Last edited:
f414 selection for hf_tejas has certainly given thrust to sh chances . As a package with raytheon+ge+boeing for offsets and navy's req for new jets , Sh fulfills it all. With hal already manufacturing some part of airframe under licence sh will be hard to beat. No naval version of f16+eurofighter exists or is planned plus neither of them share engine tech with other iaf jets, this sets them back substaintly . I still feel sh + gripen would be in final list as i predicted back in march. Snmeca assistance in turbofan for lca+mca does gives rafale points , but all in all mig35 v rafale for final spot esp after the good vibes mig29k got from navy .

if it is that much superior then why their own partner reducing their order and want to buy F-35 As their ceo say it is better then F-35 and comparable with F-22 why not they get any export order till now except UAE. and country like Israel, Japan, Uk.....etc want F-22 but USA denies. and F-35 has 1000 f/a export order in their pocket still in testing phase.

EFT T3 is a multi role fighter and it is optimized for Air superiority thats all... still it can do ground bombing.. Still it can deliver PGM's with precision.. As far the interview is concerned No one said they are reducing the orders as of now.... And for the European buying F-35 it will be for bombing and they still depend on EFT for Air superiority ... Further UK is buying only carrier Version..

The IAF has submitted its report to GoI, final call is for GoI to make.

Although I seriously hope that F-18/16 do not win.....recent C-130j deal is an example of what can happen while dealing with US in high-technology defenceequipments.

Well.. the F-18 is being offered with full ToT.
But I now do feel that the F-18 is a little too much for the MRCA. The SH falls into the category of a heavy fighter..
The EF , Rafale and Mig all meet the mid tier standard..
The gripen.. as much as I like it.. is still handicapped by its size.
Eventually though.. it will be the balanced offer.. in terms of aircraft capabilities, reliability , Tech access, cost and support that should be the deciding factor.

UPDATE: Eurofighter AESA Radar Full-Op By 2015

ef3.JPG

Once again the official confirmation, that AESA will not be ready in time and I'm still waiting for a decision about T3As weapons.

EF's chances in Japan should be better, but Japan will face way more political pressure from the US, so even there the chances for another export are not good.

Either the French burnt their bridges with former Mirage customers OR something is wrong with the Rafale.

Or you see it as every realistically thinking person and keep in mind that these kind of competitions mainly will be decided by politics, that's why several European countries decided for F35, although Gripen, Rafale were found out to be better, or more suited. Why the F18SH has good chances in MMRCA, why Rafale will win in Brazil and why Romania recently rejected EFs in favour of F16s too. And that's exactly the reason why I support the Rafale in MMRCA, because it is the most suited fighter for Indian forces and I don't want political reasons to win.

The second interesting revelation is the comment about under powered engine and the scathing criticism from the French DGA (2005) Direction générale de l'armement (French MOD) about the radar being 'fatally flawed' and OSF being 'obsolete'. All things considered its NOT a surprise the Rafale can't find a customer and the French have slowed production to the bare minimum...

Again you making the same old mistakes! You bring up specs, capabilities and issues that have nothing to do with MMRCA, or the fighters that are on offer in the competition.
Just like you always take specs from the F18 Hornet, to show that the Super Hornet has good A2A performance too, you now take issues from early Rafale versions to bash it, which is a poor try btw.

Rafale had problems with the IRST in the early versions, the TV channel instead was praised for its capabilities, also the only problem with the PESA radar was less range compared to other radars of that age.
The Singapore competiton was in 2005, or 06 and the Rafale offered then was the F2, already multi role capable, but with PESA radar only and not all features and capabilties integrated. Rafale even presented an RBE 2 AESA prototype but it would have taken too long till it would have been available. The EF had similar issues, only on a worse level, because it proved excellent A2A performance, but with nearly no A2G capability at all. The production was so delayed that the availability could not be guaranteed, which is why it wasn't shortlisted to the final stage, unlike the Rafale.
This simple fact that Rafale wasn't rejected because of technical problems, or capability issues, but was shortlisted to the final stages after the technical evaluations, in nearly any competition it was fielded, proof you are completelly wrong! The last stage of these competitions is always about costs and additional advantages, like politics, or offsets which are the real downsides of Rafale.

Regarding UAE, it is totally normal for them that they want a more improved version, instead of an off the shelf version. The Mirage 2000-9 was more upgraded than Mirage from French forces, the F16 B60 is more upgraded than US F16s and they will of course go the same way with Rafale. Btw, you totally missed the real point in your quote:

But the key ‘missing feature’ for the UAE is a more powerful engine. The UAE’s requirement emphasizes long-range interdiction, and the air force is interested in operating the aircraft in some heavy configurations. The Rafale has been criticized in some quarters for being under-powered, and the existing 75 kN SNECMA M88-2 engine may not be ideally suited for such configurations in the hot-and-high conditions that may be experienced in the Middle East.

So they don't want higher thrust for A2A, but for heavy A2G loads! They want a Rafale that can carry 2 x 2000l, 3 x Scalp missiles and 6 x AAMs, which is pretty much the heaviest config that you can think about.
In A2A on the other hand, in the same hot conditions, the Rafale proved showed exellent perfomances in BVR and dogfights against F22s and EFs. So once again, the Rafale is not underpowered at all, but the UAE as useual wants the maximum that is possible.

Here is a French source that clearly states the Brazilian military prefers the Gripen, Super Hornet over the Rafale. The report also states Brazil beleives the Rafale is too expensive at 6.2 Billion USD, 1.7 Billion USD more than the Gripen.

:disagree: Bad girl, why did you left out the important part?:

Google translated
Dassault Hope hangs by a thread: the preference that the Brazilian president has repeatedly pronounced for the Rafale through transfer of technology promised "no restrictions" by French President Nicolas Sarkozy during a visit to Brasilia in September. "We do not negotiate an airplane, we are negotiating the purchase of a technology package," he recalled early April, the Brazilian Minister of Defense Nelson Jobim, who also supports the French offer.

So the Brazilian President and defense minister supports the Rafale!
That's exactly what I meant before, that these competitons are decided mainly by politics, for Brazil the Gripen NG might be enough, because the country has no real enemy, Saab offers participation of Brazilian companies and it is more cost-effective, but from an political and strategical point of view, France is clearly the better choice to team up with than Sweden. The Brazilan officials want a reliable strategic partner for the future, that can offer political and industrial advantages, besides a lot of arms and techs. That's why they are ready to pay more for the fighter than they might have to, because it's worth it. In MMRCA, the US is the political choice, but for our forces and our industry, teaming up with the French is way more beneficial!

Finally, a more recent (Oct 2010) plea by no less than General Jean-Paul Palomeros Chief of the French Air Force urging the government to fund the upgrade of the Mirage 2000D criticizing the acquisition of more Rafale's at the expense of Mirage 2000D upgrades required for roles and missions the Rafale is currently not equipped to perform - says a lot about the much touted omni role capabilities of the Rafale.

First you left out the important part, now you fake the point of the article! The only part of the whole report where Rafale is actually mentioned, is the part of additional orders. The article doesn't talk about Rafale and it's capabilities at all, it is about the decision of french MoD to order Rafale, although it would have been more important for the airforce to upgrade a higher number of Mirage 2000Ds, which will stay in service till 2020/25. That's a budget issue of the French MoD, but has absolutely nothing to do with Rafales capabilities!

@ DBC

In addition, if you want to find problems, or issues on Rafale, you should take the Rafale F3+ version as a base, because that's the version on offer in India, Brazil and Swiss as you can see here:

Rafale in Swiss competition

One more point, although the article confirms Supercruise for Rafale, I only saw one offical source so far, that gave some more details about it and even I am unsure about this capability, that's why I never took it as an argument for Rafale. If it proved this capability during the trials in India, it would be just another great addition to all the other advantages, but even if not, it is clearly the best choice for India!

Lockheed Touts Engine Advantage In Indian Bid​
Lockheed Touts Engine Advantage In Indian Bid | AVIATION WEEK

NEW DELHI – As President Barack Obama’s visit to India draws closer, Lockheed Martin is talking up its offering for the Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) competition.

Lockheed Martin’s F-16IN is powered by the GE F-110-132A engine. GE recently won a contract to provide F-414 engines for India’s Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). Michael Griswold, Lockheed’s director of advanced development programs, says the LCA win is a good sign that the U.S. can meet its export control requirements. “GE brought the best engine on the table at the lowest cost,” he says.

“GE F-110-132A is the most powerful engine of all the contenders of the [126-aircraft] MMRCA bid,” Griswold says. “Technology insertions for the engine include blisk fan, radial augmentor and a low-drag nozzle.”

Rival Boeing’s F/A-18 carries twin F-414 engines.

Addressing concerns by some in the Indian Air Force about a single-engine aircraft, Griswold says: “The trend is toward single-engine design. ... These engines are so safe and there are savings in reliability and maintainability.”

Griswold was not willing to comment on India’s fifth-gen fighter being developed with Russia, and whether it would restrict future procurement.

The architecture of the F-16IN, “which enables growth,” includes commercial-off-the-shelf processors, a fiber-optic network and digital video for flexible and situational awareness for the pilot, Lockheed Martin says.

The company has already signed agreements with more than 30 companies in India to fulfill offset requirements should it be awarded the contract.

One potential stumbling block for U.S. competitors is the Communications Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA), which India has yet to sign. The U.S. will not allow the export of certain sensitive items until India signs.

“Both the Indian air force and the U.S. Air Force have communicated on this and both clearly understand the implications of CISMOA and how it affects the MMRCA,” a senior official tells AVIATION WEEK.

decide yourself DBC F/A-18 E/F and rafale ---- thrust/weight ratio,payload and hardpoints

Looks like the race is with Eads and Boieng..

Nothing about Rafale has been heard. Seems they have given up hope and are content with Mirage updates with 2 billions

Let EF win.. jobs and the best one after Rafale.
Sometime dear friend Benny-), the least expected of all wins the contract. That was the case of GEF141 and may be Dassult is playing it cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom