What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I am not comfortable with unkil's bird flying in Indian colors, cos of the boeing saga behind the consultancy of LCA.

Of the one thing i feel sure, is that no American aircraft will be selected for the MRCA. I maybe wrong, but i think it unlikely.

Can't agree with u more sir, now enough orders are on unkil's hand. Time to look away.

One is independent of the other.

its not actually. MRCA and LCA are linked. Its the delay in LCA development that resulted in the need for MRCA. LCA is going to be IAF's backbone for the next few decades. Anyone offering to strengthen that backbone obviously stands a better chance of snagging MRCA.

its not actually. MRCA and LCA are linked. Its the delay in LCA development that resulted in the need for MRCA. LCA is going to be IAF's backbone for the next few decades. Anyone offering to strengthen that backbone obviously stands a better chance of snagging MRCA.
?? I have no idea how any of this relates to the situation at hand. Boeing was providing direct R&D input into the LCA, for which the US government mandates EUP in the event of a third party sale. The F-16 and the F-18 are participating in a bilateral defense procurement deal in which there are no third party sales involved.

If there was an Indian defence manufacturer on the cutting edge of R&D, they too would have similar constraints put upon them by the government who would want to ensure that critical technology does not fall into the hands of adversarial nations.

France sells its hardware to most power blocs around the world which reduces the headache of compromising sensitive technology to an enemy.

?? I have no idea how any of this relates to the situation at hand. Boeing was providing direct R&D input into the LCA, for which the US government mandates EUP in the event of a third party sale. The F-16 and the F-18 are participating in a bilateral defense procurement deal in which there are no third party sales involved.

If there was an Indian defence manufacturer on the cutting edge of R&D, they too would have similar constraints put upon them by the government who would want to ensure that critical technology does not fall into the hands of adversarial nations.

France sells its hardware to most power blocs around the world which reduces the headache of compromising sensitive technology to an enemy.

Mate, the help was asked for the consultancy in opening the flight envelope for LCA testing, and if this comes with a restriction of sales of LCA or some other restrictions, better to go alone

Of the one thing i feel sure, is that no American aircraft will be selected for the MRCA. I maybe wrong, but i think it unlikely.

Why do you think so Malay? In fact if we closely monitor the relations between the two states and the rate at which they are growing, i may be wrong in my assessment but it would definitely be the F-18. Remember your navy has also expressed interest in the F-18 clearly giving a signal that the new jet for this role have to be in consideration with the navy too and as F-18 is also a carrier based jet, it will be a more suitable choice for the IA since both navy and air force can then run in parallel with the same platform. It would not only save cost but also the air force jets in time of war can land over the AC of the IN. Its just my 2 cents over it.

Why do you think so Malay? In fact if we closely monitor the relations between the two states and the rate at which they are growing, i may be wrong in my assessment but it would definitely be the F-18. Remember your navy has also expressed interest in the F-18 clearly giving a signal that the new jet for this role have to be in consideration with the navy too and as F-18 is also a carrier based jet, it will be a more suitable choice for the IA since both navy and air force can then run in parallel with the same platform. It would not only save cost but also the air force jets in time of war can land over the AC of the IN. Its just my 2 cents over it.

This might be used as an excuse:
European jet makers may replace Boeing in Tejas project - Corporate News - livemint.com

This should not be used as an excuse and the two things should be dealt with separately.

The way they are behaving doesn't seems good but let's see how the things move. But by seeing the current scenario. Americans doesn't seem to be a good option.

Why do you think so Malay? In fact if we closely monitor the relations between the two states and the rate at which they are growing, i may be wrong in my assessment but it would definitely be the F-18.
Yes mate, the relations are growing rapidly, but insofar we have not ordered anything that would jeopardize a good chunk of main fighting capability. The MoD still has a good chunk of old age bureaucrats that still think that American defence equipment should be kept limited and to not allow the leverage the US would have over India if their planes are bought in such quantities even when considering that the entire plane would be made here from scratch after an initial period-barring the radar.

On a technical note, the tender is for an M-MRCA, whereas the F/A-18 is an H-MRCA right in the same category as the Su-30MKI. What IAF requires is a light weight complement to the Su-30MKI. F/A-18 is of the same size, is a fuel guzzler has one of the highest operating costs-and the RFP clearly specifies that life cycle costs would clearly play an important part this time. This is the first time that life cycle costs are being considered by the MoD.
Its in the same class as the Su-30, so it serves no purpose.

Remember your navy has also expressed interest in the F-18 clearly giving a signal that the new jet for this role have to be in consideration with the navy too and as F-18 is also a carrier based jet, it will be a more suitable choice for the IA since both navy and air force can then run in parallel with the same platform. It would not only save cost but also the air force jets in time of war can land over the AC of the IN. Its just my 2 cents over it.
Our Carriers dont have catapults. That means that they cannot operate the F/A-18E/F. Moreover they are also not of the required tonnage and size to operate such large planes in quantities that are required. For the IN, F/A-18E/F is a nogo.

I rather think Rafale has more of a chance than the F/A-18. Personally, i think Rafale has the max scope while F-16 has the minimum.

I rather think Rafale has more of a chance than the F/A-18. Personally, i think Rafale has the max scope while F-16 has the minimum.

I suggest to go for rafale as 126 + 74 as optional and ~100 MiG35 to quickly fill the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom