What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really !!! i dont believe anybody has offered to share source codes, i could find only Gripen's open offer on the public doman (exception MiG). Can you give further info.

And this is precisely the reason why SAAB might be willing to sell itself to India. They know they havent developed much , so give full knowledge with whatever they have developed - Make this as a selling point. Other coutries since they have developed systems on their own -- might be less willing to share considering the effort and the development costs involved. Technologies such as Spectra will be highly unlikely to be offered as part of ToT. Same with Engine - Otherwise MoD would never gone ahead with Snecma partnership for Kaveri.

Thanks ...but where is the co development or ToT for Mayavi ? AFAIK they have been bought off shelf with no inputs from our side. Similarly for data links ?

Rafale full ToT:

domain-b.com : Dassault ups the ante with full technology transfer for Rafale

EF full ToT (although he mentioned of HIS country will transfer full technology, not sure if all EF members will):

Germany planning multiple pacts with India

Mayavi:

WORK-SHARING:
Under the agreement the work was done at the DARE laboratory in Bangalore with 70 % funding done by the Indian side and remaining by the Israeli. Under the agreement Elisra produced the the missile approach system and jamming pods where as DARE undertook the job of developing its cooling system, electromagnetic interference and susceptibility system as well as integration of all the systems on the aircraft.

Angle of Attack: Mayavi Electronic Warfare System

A member posted more infos about it in the LCA thread before, maybe you will find it with the search function.

Regarding Saab, of course they will sell anything THEY HAVE to get the deal, but what is the gain for us? For example, will we gain more from full ToT of techs that we already have, or can develop alone? Or will we gain more from some ToT of techs where we still lack clearly behind? That's why I think, if ToT is important, the Gripen NG can't offer us much in this field.

I would like to point again that Gripen is fully developed A2G role. Note that Gripen NG is further development to Gripen C/D. Gripen C/D is fully operational and thoroughly tested for A2 G role -- Similar to F16 In.

Not exactly, of course it will use the same weapons as the older versions, but the NG also will have differences in weapon stations which are under development only.

The config in the following pic shows 2 heavy PGMs on the centerline weapon stations, which is impressive for such a light - medium class fighter. The problem is, so far it is not possible to carry those bombs and a targeting pod at the same time. Once again it shows that the NG is still only under development and available as a prototype only. There are a lot of art works with impressive weapon loads on multi pylons published by Saab, but in reality they are not developed yet.

gripen_ng_front.jpg

F16IN instead have no changes in terms of payload, or weapons, it takes the F16 block 60 as a base and just integrates a new radar and some avionics.

According to Wikipedia:

How do EADS and Dassault plan to provide us with 126 fighters if it costs 4 billion dollars for just 36 Rafales? I'm not contradicting anyone, I was just wondering. After all, they wouldn't want this to be a financial liability, do they?

Numbers makes the difference, the more you order the less the costs, 96 Rafales was offered for $7-8 billions to Saudi Arabia.

Numbers makes the difference, the more you order the less the costs, 96 Rafales was offered for $7-8 billions to Saudi Arabia.

That is not correct !!.

The deal includes buy back of Mirage 2009 (not sure about the number). Further the deal as per media reports is for Rafale upgradation .i.e French would be upgrading their Rafale's to F3 or F4 standard and then selling it to UAE. It will not be Brand new planes as per my understanding.

Also Brazillian deal is in the range for 4-5 Billion dollars ...There is no way 96 Rafales would come for 7-8 Billion dollars. Numbers do make difference but no that much.

Not exactly, of course it will use the same weapons as the older versions, but the NG also will have differences in weapon stations which are under development only.

The config in the following pic shows 2 heavy PGMs on the centerline weapon stations, which is impressive for such a light - medium class fighter. The problem is, so far it is not possible to carry those bombs and a targeting pod at the same time. Once again it shows that the NG is still only under development and available as a prototype only.

Thanks for Mayavi info ....never knew it. Always wondered why Israelis would choose a indian sounding name.

^ True NG will have new weapon stations but to question its A2G role on the basis of new weapon stations doest cut it.
The weapon stations which were present in Gripen C/D are still present in NG. The weapon stations which was tested for A2G for C/D are still present in NG. The only difference is testing of the new weapon stations - Which in IMO would be thoroughly tested and seen by IAF.

Of course it is still under development......but to say that it is not tested for A2G role on the basis of extra weapon stations doesnt make sense IMO.

Taking Rafale for instance -- Only F2 was tested in Afghanistan...F3 wasnt ....F3 is just now entering into service...so there are no operational records of F3 questioning its multi role capability.....Ofcourse the above argument is a strawman....I love Rafale ....and would love to see it in IAF colors.....but i dont see how its feasible practically.....considering the cost of the plane...

That is not correct !!.

The deal includes buy back of Mirage 2009 (not sure about the number). Further the deal as per media reports is for Rafale upgradation .i.e French would be upgrading their Rafale's to F3 or F4 standard and then selling it to UAE. It will not be Brand new planes as per my understanding.

Also Brazillian deal is in the range for 4-5 Billion dollars ...There is no way 96 Rafales would come for 7-8 Billion dollars. Numbers do make difference but no that much.

Mate I guess you confuesed UAE with Saudi Arabia here! I said 96 Rafales were offered for Saudi Arabia, but they took 72 EFs instead. If you don't believe me, google for 96 Rafales + Saudi Arabia.

^ True NG will have new weapon stations but to question its A2G role on the basis of new weapon stations doest cut it.
The weapon stations which were present in Gripen C/D are still present in NG. The weapon stations which was tested for A2G for C/D are still present in NG. The only difference is testing of the new weapon stations - Which in IMO would be thoroughly tested and seen by IAF.

Of course it is still under development......but to say that it is not tested for A2G role on the basis of extra weapon stations doesnt make sense IMO.

But that makes a big difference, the normal Gripen had 3 weapon stations for fuel tanks, or heavy weapons and 4t payload. Gripen NG now improved the capability with one more station and 2t more payload. But as I said, the problem is if heavy weapons will be carried of on the centerline stations, the targeting pod under the air intake doesn't fit anymore. It needs to be modificated, or carried on another station, but that is not clear yet. Without targeting pod the these 2 heavy bombs will be just dumb bombs and not PGMs, which obviously is a big difference in terms of A2G capability.
That's why we need to wait till the development and redesign of the Gripen NG is completed and only then we know about its capabilities in A2G.

Taking Rafale for instance -- Only F2 was tested in Afghanistan...F3 wasnt ....F3 is just now entering into service...so there are no operational records of F3 questioning its multi role capability.....Ofcourse the above argument is a strawman....I love Rafale ....and would love to see it in IAF colors.....but i dont see how its feasible practically.....considering the cost of the plane...

The difference between Rafale F2 to F3 is the same as F16 block 60 to IN. It's just about software upgrades, but no changes in the hardware like at the Gripen NG (airframe redesign).
The F2 fielded in Afghanistan used Paveway LGB as well as AASM PGMs, the same that the F3 will use too. Exocet and Scalp was integrated even before that, so it will use the experience of the older versions. Gripen NG will do it to some extend too, but its capabilities have improved and these are not fully developed, or operational yet.

hey sancho, did the saudi offer include ToT? The French did mention that they intend to go beyond a buyer-seller relationship. Any news on what sort of relationship they meant? Also, is the option for 64/74 more aircraft for the navy?

Last edited:
Brazillian deal is in the range for 4-5 Billion dollars ...

I am reading in many places like defency industry daily that the brazilian deal is worth about $2.2 billion for 36 planes + ToT. If that is the case, can we expect deals in the range of $8billion? Can I get an expert's opinion on this?

hey sancho, did the saudi offer include ToT? The French did mention that they intend to go beyond a buyer-seller relationship. Any news on what sort of relationship they meant? Also, is the option for 64/74 more aircraft for the navy?

Regarding ToT to Saudi, not sure about that, but they don't licence produce them and get them right from Europe, so that might be not necessary.
Regarding French offer, not sure about that too, not much is known yet. They proposed only directly to MoD and did not mention too much in the media and they are concentrating on Brazil and UAE at the moment. If these are over and MMRCA gets hotter, we might hear more about it.
The optional are for the air force as far as I know and IN is looking for 40 only, so combined order could go up to 240 fighters.

Mate I guess you confuesed UAE with Saudi Arabia here! I said 96 Rafales were offered for Saudi Arabia, but they took 72 EFs instead. If you don't believe me, google for 96 Rafales + Saudi Arabia.

Sorry mate..Apologies .. Got confused between Saudi and UAE....Anyways...

Here's the News --->
"Saudi Arabia has reached a memorandum of understanding with France to buy 48 Rafale aircraft from Dassault Aviation (AVMD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) , with an option for a further 48, French business daily Les Echos said on Friday.
The deal for the multi-role fighters, estimated to be worth up to 6 billion euros ($7.72 billion), could be finalised by the end of the year, the newspaper said.
"

Its not 96 aircraft for $7.7 Billion...Its 46 !!....Gives you an idea of how expensive the Rafale is !!! This also checks with the fact that Brazil deal is reported to be in the tune of $4 Billion.

I dont see how India can afford this kinda money ... We are talking almost $20 Billion ..if not more.

But that makes a big difference, the normal Gripen had 3 weapon stations for fuel tanks, or heavy weapons and 4t payload. Gripen NG now improved the capability with one more station and 2t more payload. But as I said, the problem is if heavy weapons will be carried of on the centerline stations, the targeting pod under the air intake doesn't fit anymore. It needs to be modificated, or carried on another station, but that is not clear yet. Without targeting pod the these 2 heavy bombs will be just dumb bombs and not PGMs, which obviously is a big difference in terms of A2G capability.
That's why we need to wait till the development and redesign of the Gripen NG is completed and only then we know about its capabilities in A2G.

I am not sure if what you highlighted is a big deal..Further as a part of MRCA IAF indeed tested Gripen NG in Sweden for A2G roles...These surely must have included PGM's also. Further a POD can be carried at any place (if its structurally feasible) on a plane. The only change is to hook up the POD to MFD's on plane. The POD will do its job of illuminating the target. Since Gripen has been built by swedes from scratch ..they would pretty much know how to hook up the POD on MFD's.

The difference between Rafale F2 to F3 is the same as F16 block 60 to IN. It's just about software upgrades, but no changes in the hardware like at the Gripen NG (airframe redesign).
The F2 fielded in Afghanistan used Paveway LGB as well as AASM PGMs, the same that the F3 will use too. Exocet and Scalp was integrated even before that, so it will use the experience of the older versions. Gripen NG will do it to some extend too, but its capabilities have improved and these are not fully developed, or operational yet.

The F2 that was fielded in Afghanistan was limited to only A2G role. There was no A2A role in the plane ...F2 wasnt a true multirole aircraft. F3 on the other hand has A2A as well. So the operational experience gained in Afghanistan was only limited to A2G if not less. The same is applicable to Gripen NG, i personally believe NG score more over here.....Here you have Gripen C/D Aircraft which was tested for all roles...then the swedes brought out next block of Aircraft NG...true testing of all roles should be done as is done with all upgrades but to say that its not yet qualified for A2G role is a pure understatement. Mig 29K is almost a new aircraft ..new engine , structural frame strengthed , more hardpoints ...but its A2G role is not questioned ..so why should we question Gripen's A2G role.

On other hand EF hasnt been tested hard enough for A2G ...so it deserves this tag but not the Gripen.

I am reading in many places like defency industry daily that the brazilian deal is worth about $2.2 billion for 36 planes + ToT. If that is the case, can we expect deals in the range of $8billion? Can I get an expert's opinion on this?

I am no expert :pop: ...But here's a link from Reuters ..They are generally impecable when it comes to reporting..And i dont think you will ever find the true figure...i mean atleast not right now ...If the deal is finalized then yeah..i am begining to hear rumours that Rafale as won the deal

Brazil to choose France's Rafale jet-govt source | Reuters

"The Rafale is reported to have the highest price of the three finalists in the bidding process, which includes the Boeing Co (BA.N) F-18.
"

"The deal, which could initially be worth more than $4 billion, has sparked fierce competition among aircraft manufacturers."

Its not 96 aircraft for $7.7 Billion...Its 46 !!....Gives you an idea of how expensive the Rafale is !!! This also checks with the fact that Brazil deal is reported to be in the tune of $4 Billion.

D-Days for Rafale
Posted on 23 November 2009 in Defence

With decision time looming in a number of important fighter competitions, and with the aircraft appearing to be well placed in several of these, 2009 could yet be 'the year of the Rafale'. JON LAKE reports...

...The UAE’s interest in Rafale follows failed campaigns in Saudi Arabia, Morocco and Libya. In 2005 French newspapers reported that Saudi Arabia had agreed in principle to acquire up to 96 Rafales for a reported price of some €6bn following discussions between then-French president Jacques Chirac and Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Abdullah, though Saudi Arabia subsequently confirmed its order for 72 Eurofighter Typhoons, and Dassault subsequently denied that there had been any offer or negotiations.

Arabian Aerospace - D-Days for Rafale

So 96 Rafale F2 was offered for €6 billions, which are $7.39 billions at todays exchange rate. Also if that would not be true, than how come that the 72 EFs, that Saudi Arabia finally bought, costed 4.43 pound, which was $8.86 billions at that time?

Saudis Pay 4.43 Billion Pounds for 72 Eurofighters (Update5)

Sept. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Saudi Arabia ordered 72 Eurofighter Typhoon warplanes from the U.K. at a cost of 4.43 billion pounds ($8.86 billion), the biggest export contract for the aircraft...

Saudis Pay 4.43 Billion Pounds for 72 Eurofighters (Update5) - Bloomberg

As you can see, numbers indeed makes a difference!

I am not sure if what you highlighted is a big deal..Further as a part of MRCA IAF indeed tested Gripen NG in Sweden for A2G roles...These surely must have included PGM's also. Further a POD can be carried at any place (if its structurally feasible) on a plane. The only change is to hook up the POD to MFD's on plane. The POD will do its job of illuminating the target. Since Gripen has been built by swedes from scratch ..they would pretty much know how to hook up the POD on MFD's.

The weapon trials were made in India and with the Gripen C/D that were send before the NG. The NG did the same flight trials as the other competitiors in India.
Of course sooner, or later they will find a solution, but it's not available now and that shows the status of the development. Gripen NG is not a simple upgrade and that makes it more difficult till every capability is ready and proven.

The F2 that was fielded in Afghanistan was limited to only A2G role. There was no A2A role in the plane ...F2 wasnt a true multirole aircraft. F3 on the other hand has A2A as well.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense! Every fighter will be inducted with A2A capabilities first and only later the A2G capabilities will be added. By our logic, the Rafale F1 must had no A2A, nor A2G capabilities at all right? But that's wrong, the Rafale F1 inducted for the navy had A2A capabilities only, that's why they still use the Super Étendard in the strike role. F2 instead was multi role capable with A2G capabilities added, the only A2G weapon that was added in F3 is ASMP, the nuclear missile.

Mig 29K is almost a new aircraft ..new engine , structural frame strengthed , more hardpoints ...but its A2G role is not questioned ..so why should we question Gripen's A2G role.

Who said its A2G capabilities is not questioned? I ranked it behind the Gripen NG or? Normally I would rank it even at the last place, but as long the EF don't has any A2G missile, it must be the last.
But the Gripen and even more the Mig are clearly not in the class of Rafale and F18SH in terms of A2G.

Arabian Aerospace - D-Days for Rafale
So 96 Rafale F2 was offered for €6 billions, which are $7.39 billions at todays exchange rate.

Source Reteurs --

PARIS, April 15 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia has reached a memorandum of understanding with France to buy 48 Rafale aircraft from Dassault Aviation (AVMD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research) , with an option for a further 48, French business daily Les Echos said on Friday.
The deal for the multi-role fighters, estimated to be worth up to 6 billion euros ($7.72 billion), could be finalised by the end of the year, the newspaper said.

Source Bloomberg --

April 15 (Bloomberg) -- Dassault Aviation SA shares rose as
much as 4.2 percent after Les Echos reported Saudi Arabia is
planning an order for as many as 96 of the company's Rafale combat
jets. Dassault denied the report.

Shares of Paris-based Dassault rose as much as 21 euros to 525
euros and were up 1.2 percent at 510 euros as of 10:54 a.m. in
Paris. Only 4 percent of Dassault stock is publicly traded. The
Dassault family controls 50.2 percent of the shares and European
Aeronautic, Defense & Space Co. owns 46 percent.

Saudi Arabia agreed to buy 48 Rafales, with options for another
48 planes, from Dassault for about 6 billion euros, Les Echos
reported today. The project would mark Dassault's first foreign
sale of Rafale jets. Dassault didn't confirm the report.

I would say these sources are much better and proven....arab news seems to have messed up the numbers just like the Indian media.

Also if that would not be true, than how come that the 72 EFs, that Saudi Arabia finally bought, costed 4.43 pound, which was $8.86 billions at that time?

Saudis Pay 4.43 Billion Pounds for 72 Eurofighters (Update5) - Bloomberg

As you can see, numbers indeed makes a difference!

Good question ...I dont know the answer. But what i can do is guess from published reports -->

1) Rafale is considered as more expensive than EF. -- Although there are no confirmed reports and everybody has their own version.
2) The deal for EF with saudi was only a small part of big deal. Saudi's were negotiating a 40 Billion pound deal with UK...for upgrading their existing weaponery , tornadoes , etc....One can only guess how much you can bargain when you have a deal of this magnitude going on ....and pretty much UK has a huge say in european consortium...I am betting bucks...if India would have been in Saudi's place then we would have dragged the price further down.

I agree numbers do make a difference...but not that much ...alteast in multi billion dollar deals!!

The weapon trials were made in India and with the Gripen C/D that were send before the NG. The NG did the same flight trials as the other competitiors in India.
Of course sooner, or later they will find a solution, but it's not available now and that shows the status of the development. Gripen NG is not a simple upgrade and that makes it more difficult till every capability is ready and proven.

Weapon trials were supposed to happen in country of origin ..atleast thats what was in the plan. I am pretty sure that i read reports about security/safety concerns with Foreign weapons coming to India. Two teams of IAF went to coutries of origin and tested out the weapons on each and every aircraft. This included flying and weapon testing on Gripen.. which version of Gripen -- i dont have access to that info. But i am pretty much sure they would have had access to Gripen Demo in Sweden including weapon testing on simulators and aircraft.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense! Every fighter will be inducted with A2A capabilities first and only later the A2G capabilities will be added. By our logic, the Rafale F1 must had no A2A, nor A2G capabilities at all right? But that's wrong, the Rafale F1 inducted for the navy had A2A capabilities only, that's why they still use the Super Étendard in the strike role. F2 instead was multi role capable with A2G capabilities added, the only A2G weapon that was added in F3 is ASMP, the nuclear missile.

Sorry agreed. I was reading something else and made a mess..you are Right !!..Rigours of doing office work and posting on a forum !!

Who said its A2G capabilities is not questioned? I ranked it behind the Gripen NG or? Normally I would rank it even at the last place, but as long the EF don't has any A2G missile, it must be the last.
But the Gripen and even more the Mig are clearly not in the class of Rafale and F18SH in terms of A2G.

I pointed that out not because of your selection but because IN opted for Mig 29K with no confirmation on A2G roles. So there is definetly more to it than meets the eye when we say it hasnt proven itself in A2G. The fact that Mig 29 is proven platform was enough for IN to order it for naval aviation (coupled with fact that Russian arm twisting also did the trick but thats besides the point). Like i said ..the platform has proven itself...if a aircraft is undergoing modifications that doesnt mean it has to prove all over again for each and every quality of the aircraft.

I agree on EF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom