What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions [Thread 2]

It's impossible to caluclate unit cost based on total deal cost as we don't know the customisaton/support/spare/logistics/weapon/training package contained within.
Sir every deal includes spare support/weaponry/training/GSE etc and the whole thing contributes to per unit cost. We can not and shud not keep aircraft and its accessories separately. Its a new system for IAF and IAF ll have to go thru whole process of inducting a new system and any new system induction costs a lot. But lets wait for details to emerge.

Only dummies would use this backwards approach to calcuate unit cost. The FIRST deal is ALWAYS going to cost more as into the price you have the cost of infrastructure set up, training, spares, maintainence, weapons etc etc etc. The marginal cost therafter drops signifcantly.

:lol:

Dividing total cost by number of units is never going to give you anything like a representational figure but then you aren't interested in a nuanced and factual anaysis are you?
Expect more of this, a certain kind of person is who until this very week were proclaiming "India will never get Rafale" will now simply switch over to "India got ripped off"

OH MY GOD, baniya got ripped off.

India got the almighty RAFALE, so in the end "it's well worth the so called rip-off".

Last edited:
@PARIKRAMA willl we be happy once the details emerge? Word on the street is that important cutting edge enhancements were dropped to get a palatable cost.

:what:
Can the enhancements be done after MII deal ?
IRST ? Spectra ? Tailos ?

@PARIKRAMA willl we be happy once the details emerge? Word on the street is that important cutting edge enhancements were dropped to get a palatable cost.

:what:
Can the enhancements be done after MII deal ?
IRST ? Spectra ? Tailos ?

@PARIKRAMA

Unless there will be a large number of follow on orders, preferably with local manufacturing, it doesn't make sense to spend so much money for so few jets. It doesn't make sense to purchase this few jets at all.

So I really hope there would be additional orders of a 100+. All those recent rumblings about setting up a western manufacturing line in India had better be the Rafale.

But that makes me wonder, why the piecemeal orders? Why not exercise the follow on orders together? Wasn't the intent of MRCA always 126+ jets? Why not buy 36, and simultaneously order 90+ to be made in India? What is the need for more negotiations?

(Of course, I'm assuming this is only the first batch. If these 36 are all we intend to order, 8.8 billion dollars could have been spent way better.)

When is that set to occur?
It is planned to begin early in 2017 and the duration is 15 to 18 months[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, that to me sounds like very convenient timing for India, hopefully the MoD/IN utilises this opportunity and the French side makes such sensible offers for India. That is almost perfect timing.

India, France narrow down differences; Rafale deal in final stage
New Delhi, Apr 16, 2016, (PTI):
540685_thump.gif

The negotiations over the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets have enered the "final stages" as both India and France have managed to narrow down their differences over the pricing.

Government sources said that the deal has not been concluded yet but it is in "final stages".

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/540685/india-france-narrow-down-differences.html

Back
Top Bottom