What's new

Daring attempt: Army colonel drowns in Attabad Lake

Only in Pakistan could an army officer be criticized over losing his life in his attempt to save someone...in any other country, in any other military, it would be considered an act of utmost bravery and that may never be in question but its reinforcement is what upholds the dignity of the armed forces in times of peace.

Sir,

In other countries---colonel rank officers donot these kind of stunts----. The non coms take charge----. Indeed the colonel died a heroes death---a heroic effort---but not fit for a 40 year old----should have been carried out by a 20---30 year old man----.

Hi, God bless hos soul-----but it is not the job of the colonel to do this kind of stuff or that of a genarl to jump from the first helicopter----. Pakistanis need to change their mindset---what it shows it that the officers are having a hard time delegating power and responsibility----it also shows that there are less capable junior officers and personale in the group which cannot perform the right job----. It shows a failure----that the colonel had to do the job himself that should have been done by a couple of non coms----. The issue regarding the bravery of the colonel or the brigadier is not challenged----their braveries are not an issue here---rather their action----delegation of authority and properly trained staff to carry out the rescue or lead the first batch of troops into the enemy area---.
O sir ji..kidhar ki baat kidhar lay gaye hain ap..? It's not the matter of having difficulty in delegation of responsibilities or whether he was facing disobedience. You raised the question of 'having untrained individuals doing the job', well guess what, i can bet while sitting here that not everyone on the entire team working in Attabad Lake would be knowing how to swim! That's a hard fact. This is Pakistan, not New York Fire Deptt. Adhoc basis pe kaam..jugard bazi...limited resources....taking risks (most of the time miscalculated)...it is like this how things work in our part of the world. i know, this is wrong, but then that's the harsh reality. What do you think people in the country you reside have handled this problem? Let me guess, the engineers team would have withdrawn to a safer place....experts would have been called...those who actually know 'rescue' would have taken over the job....a few sea king choppers would have been employed...safety would have been kept at priority one...media would already have taken over the scene, virtually pressurizing the govt and the military 'not to fcuk up'!....and by the time it would have ended, all must have been done well... MK, i think you know this that things dont work on similar lines here. People are strangled..ok...get some ropes....oh sir ji..ropes tu choti hain...hell..send a vehicle and buy a longer rope...oh sir ji...gari to ration lainay gayee hoi hai....fcuk!....info the HQ to dispatch another vehicle with ropes....and by the time the ropes would reach...the strangled might already have been flushed away....heck..we had established our first ever rescue organization (the Rescue 1122) after 60 years of our independence, and our people expect them to perform like 911.. MK sir, i know you are pained with this loss, i am too...and it's rather odd that a Colonel had to do a work which could have been handled by others..but that's the dilemma. i know everyone under this Colonel's command must have stopped him from doing this...i know that all of them volunteered themselves for the act, but the colonel knew that the technical personnel (the crane operators, the labor, the military excavating staff, the rope and lashing experts etc etc) most of them would not be master swimmers, so instead of risking them the Officer thought that it would be better for him to go himself. i am sure he must have had junior officers who must have presented themselves to go, but it was better for him to die rather getting one of his youngsters killed and then telling the family that it was he who send them to death. This was not Swat or Waziristan where people die in routine. i hope you are getting my point. Equipment 1950s ka...expectation of output..2010 level ki.... Books perhaty hain Sindh Text Book Board, Jamshoro ...baba saeenn..!!! and we expect them to be absorbed by Google and Microsoft, no questions asked. i know we (not only the Army or the military but the entire Pakistan) has to over come such issues that occur because of lack of the requite staff, training, resources, equipment etc, but for doing this, we not only require more monies but also a more educated trainees who in turn can perform upto the level the equipment they would be using, wants them to be. In the last, allow me to assure you that i am not sure how this military might perform in war, i am not sure how this military might perform in an event of a catastrophe etc, but one thing i am sure of, the soldiers, airmen, and sailors of this military would sacrifice themselves before their Officer comes in a harms way. That has been my experience and that i have no doubt about whatsoever!

May his soul rest in peace.
Okay, now this is one thing which bothers me big time, lets have a look first

Please pay attention to the bold parts and answer me that how did the person who wrote this report, concluded that the boys scout got martyred while the workers got killed??? Many a times i have heard news anchors saying on TV that '' an army person got martyred by the suicide attack while the bystander(civilian) got killed''. I hope i was able to carry my point across.

in other countries the civilians are prefered over the soldiers,

May his soul rest in peace.
Okay, now this is one thing which bothers me big time, lets have a look first

Please pay attention to the bold parts and answer me that how did the person who wrote this report, concluded that the boys scout got martyred while the workers got killed??? Many a times i have heard news anchors saying on TV that '' an army person got martyred by the suicide attack while the bystander(civilian) got killed''. I hope i was able to carry my point across.

I think you are unnecessarily bringing irrelevant things into this thread.

but let me clarify something for you PT is not a newspaper neither a media outlet. its a website started by common people of Chitral for discussing local issues and news and such things. so you can not expect professional write ups by them or use of newspaper language.

In all essence, this can only be described as leading from the front and making an ultimate sacrifice for fellow comrades.
Our hats off to this remarkable officer. God bless his soul.

Sir,

In other countries---colonel rank officers donot these kind of stunts----. The non coms take charge----. Indeed the colonel died a heroes death---a heroic effort---but not fit for a 40 year old----should have been carried out by a 20---30 year old man----.

some old civilians having some issues with army always come up with twisted logic .

for example the high ranking officials criticised for and bashed by these oldies for letting the juniors killed during operations or war while when they come up with leading from the front then same oldies call it gimmick and stunts .

now this is what we call paranoia.

RIP and Salute to Great Army man:pakistan:

BTW, have you guys ever heard of something like; Leading from the front, and setting personal examples?

BTW, have you guys ever heard of something like; Leading from the front, and setting personal examples?

Sir we heard and also seen it but seems some uncles on this forum are still having their heads in the sand and dont wana budge from their stereotype paranoia for army

Thts the motto.

Inalilahe wa ina ileyhe rajeoon..........May God bless him and give patience to his family and friends ameen.

Hi Xeric,

How are you? Long time no talk.

Absolutely---whomsoever knows a little bit about pak millitary knows about 'leading from the front'----it used to be the normal practise world wide with professional armies----but with changing times and technologies that trend also changed---the non coms are better trained at handling their jobs---I would say that the non coms are doing the jobs that the oficers used to do 20--30 years ago---.

It is a sad state of affairs when a colonel has to go down for the rescue----first thing is that you cannot just replace a colonel ranked officer in the amry which is already spread so thin---secondly---it also tells a state of affairs----that there is a problem with some ranks obeying the orders---or not having capable troops to jump into the situation.

Xeric---I won't stop you from jumping to rescue your men---but here is what I will reccommend for you----next time if you or your team is in a situation like that----use two ropes---if they are available---one for reaching the object and second---possibly a thinner rope around the armpits---if you fall into the water---at least you can be pulled out----. I am pretty sure that you knew it---I just re-itterated it.

I also read that the stranded were resuced later----so there is more to the story than what is coming out.

Jana,

Listen and learn girl----listen and learn. Stop butting head with everyone all the time----there is a limit to disagreement---but once it gets beyond that point---it gets a becoming.

Why was a serving colonel involved in the rescue ?

He didn't do his STaff / UCC right ... !

This may come as a surprise, but it's the colonel's fault.

None the less, RIP !

RIP brave sole

What the... he tried to rescue because he is HUMAN and most of all he sees his fellow members in DANGER that's it may be he is not capable of undertaking such rescues but he did not cared all he cared was his friends life which proved fatal what if he succeed then you will praise him right give him equal share.

To shut the mouths of people who talk against the Pak Army, let me narrate. Today I got the opportunity to attended funeral prayer of SHAHEED Col Arif, after even 60 hrs of his shahadat , his face was as fresh as rose. His beard was two days grown which clearly proves that he is ALIVE according the the verse of Quran. He gave his life to save others lives. Yes he was a senior officer but he set a personal example like Pak Army officers have been doing in the past. He sacrificed his today and his family's tomorrow for an voluptuary , cheap and apathetic Nation. I SALUTE YOU MY DEAR FRIEND. I a m sure by now you would be in orchards of heaven.

Back
Top Bottom