Daring attempt: Army colonel drowns in Attabad Lake

Xeric

RETIRED THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Daring attempt: Army colonel drowns in Attabad Lake – The Express Tribune

Daring attempt: Army colonel drowns in Attabad Lake

Falls into muddy spillway trying to rescue stranded officials.

A serving colonel in the Pakistan army on Friday drowned in the Attabad Lake after falling into a muddy spillway while trying to rescue three others stranded in an excavator machine, officials said.

“Colonel Mohammad Arif lost his grip on the rope trying to reach out to an excavator stuck in the middle of muddy spillway,” an official in Hunza told The Express Tribune on Friday.

“When the colonel was near the excavator machine, his grip on the rope loosened and the water currents washed him away,” he said.

Colonel Arif hailed from Punjab and was serving in the Frontier Works Organisation (FWO), the military engineering branch of the Pakistan Army, which is engaged in the expansion of Attabad Lake’s spillway.

The excavator machine had been stuck in the middle of the spillway since last night with three FWO officials inside it.

The three officials remained inside the machine for hours before Colonel Arif decided to take matters into this own hands.

“Colonel Arif, risking his life, made a daring attempt at about 6:00 am on Friday to rescue those stranded but unfortunately lost his own life,” said an FWO official.

Despite day-long efforts conducted in coordination with the army, the police and local volunteers, the colonel’s body could not be found. However, the stranded people, including the operator of the excavator, have been plucked to safety, the official added.

Efforts to expand the spillway at Attabad Lake have been under way since 2010. However, despite numerous attempts which include controlled blasting, the lake has not been drained successfully.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 21st, 2011

Colonel Arif of Pakistan Army embraces Shahadat at spillway of dammed Hunza River, 3 soldiers rescued

May 21, 2011 by Pamir Times

PT Report

spillway-of-the-dammed-hunza-river-copy.jpg

A file photograph of the spillway taken in November 2010. The ground positions have been captioned for reference

Hunza, May 20: In a tragic accident Colonel Arif, Commanding Officer of the Frontier Works Organization (FWO), engineering arm of the Pakistan Army, has embraced Shahadat at spillway of the dammed Hunza River, while trying to rescue three stranded soldiers.

According to details two excavators got stuck in middle of the spillway, while returning to their base camp, after conducting excavation work on the Attabad side of the river. Two soldiers were on one of the excavators while one soldier was on the other.

On getting the news, Colonel Arif rushed to Attabad from Gilgit. The rescue efforts could, however, not be started Thursday night because of darkness. Colonel Arif, reportedly, consoled the stranded soldiers and asked them to stay calm till the morning.

On Friday morning the brave officer tried to reach the land excavators stuck in middle of the spillway with the help of a rope. According to reports, rope being used to reach the excavators snapped and Colonel Arif lost his balance, getting swept away by the gushing water of Hunza River.

Eye-witnesses reports reveal that after falling into the gushing spillway water, Col. Arif tried at least thrice to reach towards the bank but the strong water flow failed his efforts. He lost control and vanished in the river, as his juniors watched in shock, helplessly.

Professional search and rescue teams were sent to the site but the dead body of Col. Arif could not be found, till filing of this report. The three stranded soldiers were, however, rescued to safety after 18 hours of struggle, starting on the evening of Thursday, May 19.

Local people have hailed the brave officer for risking his own life to save his soldiers.

It is pertinent to note that the FWO has been working on a project aimed at expansion and deepening of the dammed river’s spillway.

Earlier last year a member of the Ismaili Boys Scout Group Aliabad Hunza, Shehzad Sher, had embraced martyrdom at the spillway after being hit by a boulder that fell from Attabad.

Two labourers were also killed at the lake barrier after their tractor was hit by a landslide.

The total number of Attabad landslide related deaths has risen to 23, with the heroic martyrdom of Colonel Arif.

already posted. Media should have highlighted it, he deserved to be given a Salute !

Already posted. Anyways, my post here goes.

Salute to this martyr. May Allah bless him with Jannah and bless this Nation with more like him. Ameen.
We will never forget you. Love you from the whole Nation.[/SIZE][/B]

Dedicate your signature for him

Last edited by a moderator:
khassan1: In a case with limited time, where every micro-second counts, you dont have time to do it.
Hammy007: It wasn't anything deserving Nishan-e-haider, but yes he deserves a medal.

Why was a serving colonel involved in the rescue ?

He didn't do his STaff / UCC right ... !

This may come as a surprise, but it's the colonel's fault.

None the less, RIP !

None the less, RIP !

Doesnt matter if your a General of a Havildar. Your a human and if you have a heart, you should blindly jump fourth to save 3 precious lives!

None the less, RIP !

If i tell you a Serving General was involved in Swat operation in the very first heliborne operation you might even know that.

May his soul rest in peace.
Okay, now this is one thing which bothers me big time, lets have a look first
Earlier last year a member of the Ismaili Boys Scout Group Aliabad Hunza, Shehzad Sher, had embraced martyrdom at the spillway after being hit by a boulder that fell from Attabad.

Two laborers were also killed at the lake barrier after their tractor was hit by a landslide.
Please pay attention to the bold parts and answer me that how did the person who wrote this report, concluded that the boys scout got martyred while the workers got killed??? Many a times i have heard news anchors saying on TV that '' an army person got martyred by the suicide attack while the bystander(civilian) got killed''. I hope i was able to carry my point across.

I salute him too. Media should highlight certain achievement.

None the less, RIP !

Lets not be insensitive and crude. Moreover people who have reported on the incident and are familiar with the terrain and the urgent situation involving the rescue have not laid any fault on anyone. So lets not be random experts about such things.

first of all my condolances to the soldier family but now a days i dont consider our army man brave infact i consider them bhagoras and yes they are what they have done for nation nothing only but chewing nations funds which would have been used in better ways for nation if they do their job what they have taken oath for i can sell and give me entire money to them so they can equip themselfes now a days armed forces are only for shwing wasting money i consider dog like police man is better for nation than these soldiers corrupt police man is better than them they are of low grade

Hi,

God bless hos soul-----but it is not the job of the colonel to do this kind of stuff or that of a genarl to jump from the first helicopter----.

Pakistanis need to change their mindset---what it shows it that the officers are having a hard time delegating power and responsibility----it also shows that there are less capable junior officers and personale in the group which cannot perform the right job----.

It shows a failure----that the colonel had to do the job himself that should have been done by a couple of non coms----.

The issue regarding the bravery of the colonel or the brigadier is not challenged----their braveries are not an issue here---rather their action----delegation of authority and properly trained staff to carry out the rescue or lead the first batch of troops into the enemy area---.

Back
Top Bottom