What's new

Danish Tourist Gang-Raped in New Delhi

Even in Western societies which seems to be the bar for most young Indian males here on PDF they draw a line, certain behaviors elicit outrage. To say that a society has no features, no boundaries, and anything goes is certainly not how societies function.
Rituparno Ghosh or any another exceptions are always there in the society, but the point to note is they are exceptions, not the rule. India has generally been rather benign to such exceptions. We don't have a culture where we sit and plan on humiliating or making someones life miserable just because they are different from us, be it transvestites or homosexuals. But that certainly does not mean that households encourage their boys to wear lipsticks and bras.

I never implied a "anything goes' society. My contention is to live and let live. That is exactly why we have laws banning possession of firearms and laws banning use of recreational drugs etc etc. As long as individuals are not affected/harmed by my individual decision I believe that I should have the authority to carry on a lifestyle that I imagine is best suited for me.
So either encouraging or discouraging crossdressing is not in the purview of this discussion. An adult should have the liberty to choose within the aforesaid boundaries of letting others live.

Because you are not living in wilderness or on the surface of moon. You are part of a society which was formed after thousands of years of trials and errors. The wisdom contained in it did not come about by some quirk. Every single member of this society has a stake in keeping it livable. Antisocial attitudes or attitudes which could lead to destruction of society would be commented on and if needed legislated against. India's democracy is not a free for all lunatic asylum. There are rules and regulations, there are laws and conventions with a lot of freedom to innovate without blowing it up.

Fair enough. I would too frown upon a gal sporting a bikini at a board meeting. But where do you draw the line. Today you are liberal enough to allow me to wear say, sandals to work, tomorrow your replacement comes and tells me no sandals .. either wear dress shoes or you are out. Where do we draw the line when encroachment of private liberties are concerned ?
And it doesn't stop there. You ban something and you set a precedence. I'm sure you remember the case where a certain "ulema" in Lucknow banned anything other than a full hijab for women studying in Aligarh. When cornered he cited the example of another cleric doing the same in Old delhi and getting away with it. You set horrid precedences once you allow your personal liberties to be dictated by one person or a group of people at any given time.

Anyway on topic. I hope both you and I can at least agree that movies and how a lady dresses has nothing to with with rape.

Cheers

lmao what the hell did I just read..

Yaar context mein lijiye :D .. aisey copy paste karengey to Shakespeare bhi nukkadwaley qawalli sey battar sunaiga ...

I never implied a "anything goes' society. My contention is to live and let live. That is exactly why we have laws banning possession of firearms and laws banning use of recreational drugs etc etc. As long as individuals are not affected/harmed by my individual decision I believe that I should have the authority to carry on a lifestyle that I imagine is best suited for me.
So either encouraging or discouraging crossdressing is not in the purview of this discussion. An adult should have the liberty to choose within the aforesaid boundaries of letting others live

When you deny people the right to comment and ask for a society where people have no right to voice their opinion at all, that forms an "I am law unto myself" society. To live and let live without compromises is not possible considering the overlapping nature of various elements of society. Everything you do, every choice you make has consequences to it. It is not just the obviously evident thing like firearms or recreational drugs.

Unbridled man-hating feminism of West has practically led to the breakdown of society it faces now. Why are the divorce rates over 50%? Did the feminists of those societies consider the effect on children? The psychological scar every child in the West bears which increasingly leads to more and more anti-social behaviors. The loss of home, the loss of savings, the loss of competitive edge, the dumbing down of the society and many many more can mostly be laid on door of the bra-burning feminists of yore. The kindest and the most well rounded society is the one in which the child is the center of the home and his/her well-being the goal, not some selfish "I don't give a damn" society.

Where do we draw the line when encroachment of private liberties are concerned ?
And it doesn't stop there. You ban something and you set a precedence. I'm sure you remember the case where a certain "ulema" in Lucknow banned anything other than a full hijab for women studying in Aligarh. When cornered he cited the example of another cleric doing the same in Old delhi and getting away with it. You set horrid precedences once you allow your personal liberties to be dictated by one person or a group of people at any given time.

What will be acceptable to the society will depend on the tugs and pulls and pressure on the society from various sections and the demand of time and circumstances. In this every opinion will have to be heard and deliberated on. Some ideas will lose their relevance and some will gain. The ulema in Lucknow is on the losing side as is the malevolent form of feminism practiced by West. You can challenge the society and refuse to tread the same path as others, but do not expect it to be made easy for you.

Anyway on topic. I hope both you and I can at least agree that movies and how a lady dresses has nothing to with with rape.

Actually in a way it does. Movies have always inspired people from Amithab's haircut to Hema Malini's or Mumtaz's fashions. It is a false notion that movies reflect the society or are just mirroring the society. They are not a news medium. Rather in so many ways they are the opinion shapers, culture cultivators. Showing a woman dancing suggestively amongst 100s of lecherous salivating guys does send a message that it is acceptable for a woman and the broader society as such. Show these things repeatedly and just like any good advertising it registers as not something out of routine.

Last edited:
look at your own link.
Assam population 30 million reported rape cases 1700
delhi pop about 20 million 572 reported cases.

Assam and much of north-east India are disturbed zones with insurgency rampant which does play its role in abuse of women. Do you want to tell me there is an insurgency going on in New Delhi too?

Assam and much of north-east India are disturbed zones with insurgency rampant which does play its role in abuse of women. Do you want to tell me there is an insurgency going on in New Delhi too?

alright look at other states. Madhya pradesh population - 72 million (3-4 times of Delhi) reported rape cases - 3400 (6-7 times of Delhi) Insurgency? Terrorists? Naxals? Stop making excuses and embarrassing yourself son

Not again. Why people make jokes about rapes happening in India?

alright look at other states. Madhya pradesh population - 72 million (3-4 times of Delhi) reported rape cases - 3400 (6-7 times of Delhi) Insurgency? Terrorists? Naxals? Stop making excuses and embarrassing yourself son

It is a joke you are comparing the Capital of India with access to enormous resources of the Dept of Home Minister, Delhi Police, Home Guards to Madhya Pradesh.

It is a joke you are comparing the Capital of India with access to enormous resources of the Dept of Home Minister, Delhi Police, Home Guards to Madhya Pradesh.

first it was insurgency? now what? Madhya pradesh is poor? Poor people have the right to rape or are you saying there should be no rapes in Delhi cuz of resources money cops courts etc.? In that case US the worlds largest economy should have no rapes. Like I said it is India's problem not Delhi's.

first it was insurgency? now what? Madhya pradesh is poor? Poor people have the right to rape or are you saying there should be no rapes in Delhi cuz of resources money cops courts etc.? In that case US the worlds largest economy should have no rapes. Like I said it is India's problem not Delhi's.

I was not comparing the prosperity level of the inhabitants of Delhi to Madhya Pradesh but of the state. Yes US is "rich" and has huge number of rapes and that is reflective of its misogynistic culture, likewise Delhi. Given the same resources and same attention that Delhi gets, Madhya Pradesh would do far far better as have most other places in India.

I was not comparing the prosperity level of the inhabitants of Delhi to Madhya Pradesh but of the state. Yes US is "rich" and has huge number of rapes and that is reflective of its misogynistic culture, likewise Delhi. Given the same resources and same attention that Delhi gets, Madhya Pradesh would do far far better as have most other places in India.

rofl k what about Rajasthan? Population 68 mil almost 3 times Delhi rapes 1800 almost 3 times. I do not see the huge number in Delhi as you are saying. When you lose an argument you should stop :) Also please consider that Delhi is completely urbanised compared to your dehati states so the chances of a rape being reported in Delhi are way more compared to others.

Also do yoou remember the girl that was stripped in public in Assam because she was at a pub drinking? I do and yea all those people on camera doing that were all naxals/terrorists/separatists/martains/poor/kawai desu

rofl k what about Rajasthan? Population 68 mil almost 3 times Delhi rapes 1800 almost 3 times. I do not see the huge number in Delhi as you are saying. When you lose an argument you should stop Also please consider that Delhi is completely urbanised compared to your dehati states so the chances of a rape being reported in Delhi are way more compared to others.

Worse than the comparison between MP and Delhi. 3.5 times the population of Delhi and 3 times the rape. With the same handicaps of the state of Rajasthan viz-a-viz Delhi.

It is really pitiable that now you have to compare the educated, urbane, suave Delhi with dehati people. Were you not saying some time ago that poor dehatis are the sole perpetrators of rape?

Last edited:
Worse than the comparison between MP and Delhi. 3.5 times the population of Delhi and 3 times the rape. With the same handicaps of the state of Rajasthan viz-a-viz Delhi.

It is really pitiable that now you have to compare the educated, urbane, suave Delhi with dehati people. Were you not saying some time ago that poor dehatis are the sole perpetrators of rape?
yes ofc they are. sole reason Delhi has rapes is cuz of uneducated migrants workers from UP MP bihar Rajastahan etc etc.

Any way what ever i say is as bad or worse than Delhi in rape cases you term them poor insurgent problems etc etc. Do not know what is your beef against Delhi but your responses hold no meaning. Quote me again if you have aa sensible reply or else I am done talking to you tire of proving you wrong again and again.

It really is negligent on the woman's fault for going to the rape capital of the world and what do you know, she surprisingly gets raped. Female tourist are already avoiding India but not all have received the memo...

WTF! This just happened TODYA!

BBC News - Danish woman gang-raped in Indian capital Delhi

Danish woman gang-raped in India
15 January 2014 Last updated at 11:12 ET
_72301128_72300811.jpg

The woman was staying in Delhi's backpacker district when she lost her way, as Andrew North reports

Police in the Indian capital Delhi are investigating the alleged gang rape of a Danish woman who lost her way near her city centre hotel.

The 51-year-old tourist was attacked by a group of men in the Paharganj area on Tuesday evening. Police say she was robbed and raped at knife point.

A German woman has also been raped in south India, Der Spiegel reports.

Scrutiny of sexual violence in India has grown since the 2012 gang rape and murder of a student on a Delhi bus.

The government tightened laws on sexual violence last year after widespread protests following the attack.

But violence and discrimination against women remain deeply entrenched in India's staunchly patriarchal society.

The Danish woman told police that she approached the group of men after losing her way back to her hotel near New Delhi Railway Station.

The men robbed her of her belongings and raped her, police spokesman Rajan Bhagat told the BBC.

"She reached her hotel and reported the incident to the manager who called in the police and the investigation is now under way," Mr Bhagat said.

The woman flew out of India on Wednesday morning, police say.

No arrests have been made yet, but police are questioning a number of men in connection with the attack.

The Danish woman is believed to have been travelling alone and had been in Delhi since Monday after visiting the Taj Mahal, the BBC's Andrew North in Delhi reports.

Police say she gave a detailed statement in the presence of the Danish ambassador before leaving the country, AFP news agency reports. There was no immediate comment from the Danish embassy in Delhi.

Paharganj, a busy backpacker district frequented by foreign tourists, is located in the heart of the Indian capital, not far from Connaught Place.

An 18-year-old German woman was reportedly raped by a man sharing her compartment on a train travelling from Mangalore to Chennai in southern India on Friday.

A man, described as a migrant worker from Bihar state, was arrested on Tuesday, Der Spiegel newspaper reported.

Last March a Swiss tourist was gang raped and her partner attacked by a group of men in Madhya Pradesh state. Six men were jailed for life for the attack in July.

Since the December 2012 Delhi gang rape, the nation has been shocked by a string of brutal rapes of Indian women.

They include a photojournalist raped in broad daylight in central Mumbai, a 21-year-old woman raped by two apparently unrelated groups of men on Christmas Eve in Pondicherry and a 16-year-old girl who died after being gang-raped twice and then set on fire in the eastern city of Calcutta.

Although cases involving foreigners continue to get far more attention in the media and from the police, Indian women who are raped are still far less likely to receive justice, our correspondent says.

Back
Top Bottom