What's new

CWG will be better than Beijing Olympics: Kalmadi

Time to get back on topic:

I remember when the Beijing Olympics was about to start, there was so much pessimism from all over the world. So many people were waiting and watching for us to fail.

However, it was an absolutely stunning and beautiful Olympics, that exceeded all expectations. :cheers:

I think India is certainly capable of pulling off the same feat, in the face of all this negativity from around the world.

Yes it's quite amusing, that you as a "supposed Chinese person", thinks that Hong Kong is not a part of China. :azn:

Humour aside, I'm going to stop replying to your trolling now. You can continue if you wish. :lol:

Ok guys that is enough. Debates are one thing but if we keep on bashing one another because of our personal beliefs we may be taking it too far. The last thing I want to see is a Chinese member getting banned because of another Chinese member.

Chinese-dragon and Cardsharp, I beg you two not to reply to ChinaChina. I will try to contact a mod and delete most of the arguments.

@Chinese members

i always thought Chinese people look at Hong Kong with pride as 1 of their booming Business center,but what i witnessed on this thread is something new to me,is there really some kind of resentment towards Hong Kong in China or all this is just a creation

I absolutely HATE it when Indian politicians compare an Indian achievement to a foreign one and brag about exceeding it. "Mumbai will be better than Singapore" or such-and-such will be better than so-and-so. I also detest the whole "second biggest in Asia" tag that the people in power put on things.
Also, the refrain about returning to the glory of a lost age of the "Golden Sparow"........
It shows a deep, disturbing insecurity about one's own ability that this generation does not share with our doddering old political elite.

Also, this CWG fiasco is being blamed squarely on Kalmadi. Don't.
His is no doubt corrupt, bumbling and incompetent- but do you think the people who placed him in this post did not know that? A strong-willed person would not have let all and sundry associated with the games line their pockets and feather their nests.
These powers-that-be are smart. Kalmadi is going to end up as a scapegoat at the end and all the 'others' will giggle all the way to the bank.

In any case, the games will be a success. I'm pretty sure of it. We Indians are like this only:D

In any case, the games will be a success. I'm pretty sure of it. We Indians are like this only:D

I think it will be a success as well. :cheers:

If you look back at the news stories and the internet talk before the Beijing Olympics, there was a lot of negativity too.

And regardless of anything else, India has spent a LOT of money on infrastructure development during the build up, and that is what really matters to the average person. :tup:

I wish India all the success. But Chairman Suresh Kalmadi reminds of Baghdad Bob. Anyone remembers him anymore ?

I find these greedy people seek money, never as a mean to an end but an end onto itself. Money is the goal, not what you can buy with it, and it's accumulation an endless obsession.

Needless to say despite their riches they are not happy people.

I think they seek more money than they can spend because more money does translate to more power. That sense of power is what people get drunk on. (BTW hqw much is enough is a question all of us face and its not easy to answer).

Kalmadi made enough money for a lifetime in 1994 Pune national games, he's still at it and still in power because of that money.

@Chinese members

i always thought Chinese people look at Hong Kong with pride as 1 of their booming Business center,but what i witnessed on this thread is something new to me,is there really some kind of resentment towards Hong Kong in China or all this is just a creation

theres many attitudes towards the "outer regions"... which i mean, places with chinese people, under chinese administration, but with a different economic background. then there's a similar attitude toward completely overseas chinese.

many people, including me, regard many of the investors as speculators that exploit their workers, refuse to pay wages then run from the law when debts get called in. taiwan and overseas chinese investors (not hong kong) have this problem more so than others.

one of my high school friends was the grandson of a malaysian chinese who returned in the 60's, so i am not biased against overseas chinese; i however do not worship them like some people do.

cardsharp:

yes, the experience someone has, and the ability to apply that knowledge to new research, is valuable in the context of academic research. for engineering applications, however, what is most important is what others have done before you, as a collective effort.

but as you said, the academic game's tough and the pay doesn't match that of other fields.

economic and social factors direct the best to fields like investment banking, computers and marketing instead, where a bachelors can make several times the money of the PhDs in other fields with less hours...

Back
Top Bottom