What's new

CWG 2010: Haroon Khan tipped to eclipse older brother Amir

Haroon vows to bring ‘home’ Commonwealth glory

Haroon-640x480.jpg

Haroon Khan has promised to continue representing Pakistan given the chance and is determined to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games. Photo:Express

ISLAMABAD: Haroon Khan, younger brother of world boxing champion Amir Khan, has vowed to bring success to Pakistan in the forthcoming Commonwealth Games after being selected to represent the country in the event.

The Bolton-based boxer is part of the training camp underway in Islamabad and looks set to make his Games debut in New Delhi next month, also the first time he would represent Pakistan.

“I’m eyeing the gold medal and I’m confident that I can win it for Pakistan which is the home of my ancestors,” Haroon told The Express Tribune. “I feel the need to give something back to Pakistan which gave me the opportunity to compete at the Commonwealth Games.”

Teen wants to emulate brother

Still only 19, Haroon wants to follow in the footsteps of his brother Amir who also made a name for himself at an early age.

“Everyday when I wake up and see Amir’s medals, only one thing comes to my mind. One day I’d also be able to win medals. My brother’s success gives me the determination and belief that with endeavour one can achieve their goals.”

He also dismissed the notion that after making a name for himself, he will abandon Pakistan to join England that snubbed him for this year’s event.

“It’s not correct. I will always play for Pakistan and will not represent some other country. I won’t represent England because Pakistan approached me first and there is no question about that. I fully intend on representing Pakistan for the Asian Games if selected.”

Haroon won the England National Championship last year and has represented England in various international events, winning gold in the 2009 Four-Nation European Championship.

“I’m feeling a significant improvement and the coaches are really working hard with the boxers here.”

Unlike most athletes in Britain, Haroon has no issues with the accommodation and security arrangements being made for the mega event.

“I’m not bothered by the arrangements but am instead focused on my training. There’s no chance of pulling out as I’m sure India would hold the Games in a befitting manner.”

Published in The Express Tribune, September 26th, 2010.

Haroon vows to bring ?home? Commonwealth glory – The Express Tribune

Always glad to see patriotic Pakistanis even the ones who grew up in the west.

:pakistan::pakistan:

Last edited:
I can't understand why Pakistanis are happy with haroon??

He is born and brought up in Britain and when he have not got any chance in Britain he joins ur team.

The facts is he is not a Pakistani he is a British.

Also, he was not happy with representing Pakistan and was saying that he will feel awkward to fight its fellow British brothers.
:devil::devil:

His blood will always remain Pakistani, his roots are Pakistani, no matter where he was born and brought up in. No Pakistani can ever forget his/her roots.

His brother, Amir Khan, represents England, but he never forgets his roots and that he's Pakistani.

AmirKhanPakFloodsDEC_460x461.jpg

:pakistan:

Last edited:
I think any Non resident or citizens of other countries of our desi orgiins should not be allowed to represent our country. As they will be taking away the opportunity of a young home grown boxer. Win or loose, we should always get it in our DUM.

His blood will always remain Pakistani, his roots are Pakistani, no matter where he was born and brought up in. No Pakistani can ever forget his/her roots.

His brother, Amir Khan, represents England, but he never forgets his roots and that he's Pakistani.

AmirKhanPakFloodsDEC_460x461.jpg

1. You didn't understand my point.

Let me give you a example when London bombers or new york bomber bombs UK or USA you people says that they are not Pakistanis but neutralized citizens but now changing your tune. And calling a British born and brought up in Britain as Pakistani.

That's amazing. :woot::woot:

2. In a interview to Times of India your very same Haroon Khan have said that its awkward to represent pakistan and compete with British brothers.

Let me give you a example when London bombers or new york bomber bombs UK or USA you people says that they are not Pakistanis but neutralized citizens but now changing your tune. And calling a British born and brought up in Britain as Pakistani.

2. In a interview to Times of India your very same Haroon Khan have said that its awkward to represent pakistan and compete with British brothers.

Ok we will tell him to play for India or britain OK NOW HAPPY ? :whistle:

actually when its a matter of shame, the british born become pakistanis, and in the matter of pride, the same british born become more british thaan they cn be pkistanis ever???

man u seem to have confused concepts

Having dual nationality is a source of concern when people want to represent either of the states. Remember Peterson? one of the best batsman in English cricket team, he wanted to play for South Africa first & not England. Since Haroon resides in UK, so it's highly understandable that his first priority would be UK.
As for your irrelevant rant to detract the topic, i wont argue much since we are not allowed to feed trolls. anyways, have a look at the International law regarding criminals & you will get your answers, secondly even if we dis own those dual nationality holder Pakistani's in case of their involvement in any criminal activity so, does the public opinion about Pakistani's really change???? So why it should be changed now when a British born pakistani is representing Pakistan.?

In a interview to Times of India your very same Haroon Khan have said that its awkward to represent pakistan and compete with British brothers.

He also said in an interview that, “It’s not correct. I will always play for Pakistan and will not represent some other country. I won’t represent England because Pakistan approached me first and there is no question about that. I fully intend on representing Pakistan for the Asian Games if selected.”

Both Amir Khan and Haroon Khan have dual nationality, Pakistani and British nationalities.

Even if you were born and raised in the west and your parent(s) were born in Pakistan, you can easily apply for Pakistani nationality. You just go to your nearest Pakistan Consulate and you have to fill an application and you just have to show a copy of your birth certificate and your passport along with proof that atleast one of your parents was born in Pakistan, either by showing copies of your parent's birth certificate or copies of your parent's Pakistani passport. I know this because some of my cousins were born and raised in the United States and were granted Pakistani nationality.

I've met some very patriotic Pakistanis who happened to be born in the west.

Last edited:
I can't understand why Pakistanis are happy with haroon??

He is born and brought up in Britain and when he have not got any chance in Britain he joins ur team.

The facts is he is not a Pakistani he is a British.

Also, he was not happy with representing Pakistan and was saying that he will feel awkward to fight its fellow British brothers.
:devil::devil:

Bro, just because he isn't born in Pakistan doesn't mean he can represent Pakistan. Just because I am a citizen of USA and born here. Doesn't mean I dont show patriotism to India. Look at India day parades in NYC, Indians from Punjab to TN show up for India.

I am sure the boxing considers Pakistan and Britian equally. Like how many NRIs like me considers India and USA equal.

I hear many Indians claiming Jay Sean as Indian. Not mentioning the British side.

If he is playing for Pakistan, he is Pakistani now. He may born in Mars. Issue closed.

He can choose who he wants to be. If he has chosen to be Pakistani, then he is Pakistani. As simple as that.

Besides, many western born Indians also identify themselves as Indian and as a national of the nation they hold citizenship in. Nothing unnatural about it.

Cuz I am a Canadian Pakistani and I will be more then Proud to represent the Country I belong to,

Amir Khan happens to be my cousins hommie who is a lawyer in UK, I wud love to see his brother fighting

Not sure but if I would have been in Aus or NZ, I would be happy to represent that country. Although still my heart will always bit for India, but it would unfair to not play for your country where you live. It has given all the things you wanted still you can't keep that country in priority. Yes but for all other things I will always wish India, a best of luck. To me its neither religion nor source come first. For me the country which gives me everything, where I live is my priority and I should give my life to that country.

Just saw Amardeep's match representing wales. I am proud she represented the wales as she live their.

He also said in an interview that, “It’s not correct. I will always play for Pakistan and will not represent some other country. I won’t represent England because Pakistan approached me first and there is no question about that. I fully intend on representing Pakistan for the Asian Games if selected.”

This is completely wrong. If that was matter than we could have taken away 1/3 of west indies team and 1/5 of England team.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom