What's new

CVRDE entering unmanned vehicle segment

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
CVRDE entering unmanned vehicle segment

cns8.jpg

Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (CVRDE), a laboratory under the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has started developing unmanned combat vehicles. According to CVRDE Director, Dr P Shivakumar, it has started developing unmanned remote controlled vehicles for mine detection and surveillance for the Armed Forces. The technology for the future unmanned programmes has already been developed. Chennai-based lab is also developing various subsystems for aircraft and Naval applications. It has the technology for gearbox and filters for various applications.

Now CVRDE is focusing on both manned and unmanned vehicles. It has also secured a project to develop filters for the fifth generation combat aircraft which is going to be jointly developed by India and Russia. Dr Shivakumar said his organisation received order for 124 numbers of Arjun MBT Tank Mark I, and it has supplied 120. The remaining four is in final stage because CVRDE is doing a lot of trials on the request of the user. The user needed improvements based on various trials and status of latest equipment.

There are a total 89 improvements, including 19 major ones. “All tank fightable improvements have been completed and handed over to the user. Recently, we completed almost three missile firing for the user. Now we are starting the trials again and the remaining missiles will be fired”, Shivakumar said.

Major improvement vis-à-vis Arjun Mark II is missile firing capability “Because of our involvement in a lot of aircraft programme for LCA, we are involved in suspension, landing gear, hydraulic design and other things. So, we have been given the task to develop landing gear for Rustom II. We just got the project sanction, so we are going to develop landing gear for Rustom II. Preliminary design will be done soon”, he said. Dr Shivakumar said CVRDE will establish an integrated test facility.

Link - CVRDE entering unmanned vehicle segment | idrw.org

CVRDE is making UGV of tracked category...it is also reported to develop an Unmanned ICV based on BMP..

Many Tech Demos had already been made i guess. I remember seeing videos of a Maruti 1000 and pics of Unmanned BMP.

These are remotely operated as it seems, not autonomous, like the one our department is working on.

Back
Top Bottom