What's new

CV/CVN-19/20 - Type 00X/004 future nuclear CATOBAR carrier thread

building a nuclear-powered surface vessel, most likely a nuclear-powered icebreaker, could be a necessary step before constructing a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. This would provide important technological and experiential foundations for subsequent nuclear-powered carrier construction. Building a nuclear-powered icebreaker is also a good starting point, as it requires handling extreme environments, which can help validate the reliability and safety of nuclear power systems in complex environments. This is crucial for building a powerful nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.

building a nuclear-powered surface vessel, most likely a nuclear-powered icebreaker, could be a necessary step before constructing a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. This would provide important technological and experiential foundations for subsequent nuclear-powered carrier construction. Building a nuclear-powered icebreaker is also a good starting point, as it requires handling extreme environments, which can help validate the reliability and safety of nuclear power systems in complex environments. This is crucial for building a powerful nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.

The nuclear reactor has already been tested on Fujian.

The next two carriers will remove its exhaust port from the island structure.

Since when do you think has the Fujian a nuclear reactor?

The conventional powered carriers like Liaoning and Shandong all have their boilers activated within 2 weeks of the launch, because the main propulsion needs to be powered by the boilers. Without the main propulsion being activated, there is no way you can test other systems and equipment of the ship.

Whereas Fujian has been launched for 10 months, there is no sign of fume. Its main propulsion is first being powered by the steam generated facility on the shore, because its nuclear reactors need time to be activated.

Fujian doesn't follow the same procedure for its dock trial like the previous conventional carriers like Liaoning and Shandong.

It has the similar dock trial like other nuclear powered ships, the main propulsion needs to be powered by the steam generated facility on the shore before the activation of the nuclear reactor.

Fujian's exhaust port is likely an auxiliary gas turbine propulsion to power the EMALS. So you will most likely see the fume come out of the exhaust port when Fujian has started to launch the aircrafts.

Whereas the coming CVN-19 & CVN-20 will be purely nuclear powered, its EMALS will also be integrated into its main propulsion which will be nuclear powered.

DL's version is 3 catapults + 3 elevators, whereas JN's version is 4 catapults + 3 elevators.

But we will see the real carriers in few years later.
Any idea how many total carriers are visioned?

The nuclear reactor has already been tested on Fujian.

The next two carriers will remove its exhaust port from the island structure.
What is the power generation capacity of the reactor(s) envisioned for the carrier(s)? And how many reactors per ship?

Anywhere from 6 to 8 from various predictions

Personally I think there should be 6 operational carrier groups + 1 training group for a total of 7.

I also think China should have a shit ton of SSN, at least 60.

Last edited:

What is the power generation capacity of the reactor(s) envisioned for the carrier(s)? And how many reactors per ship?

I personally think that the PLAN is planning for at least 12 nuclear supercarriers battlegroups.

Maybe the current nuclear reactors used by Fujian are slightly inferior to the Gerald Ford class, hence there is an additional conventional propulsion to sustain the EMALS, but the coming CVN-19 and CVN-20 are both larger than the Gerald Ford class without any exhaust port for the conventional propulsion.

Therefore, I believe the CVN-19 and CVN-20 will have powered by the upgraded nuclear reactors from Fujian which will turn out to be even more powerful than the A1B reactors.

I personally think that the PLAN is planning for at least 12 nuclear supercarriers battlegroups.

Maybe the current nuclear reactors used by Fujian are slightly inferior to the Gerald Ford class, hence there is an additional conventional propulsion to sustain the EMALS, but the coming CVN-19 and CVN-20 are both larger than the Gerald Ford class without any exhaust port for the conventional propulsion.

Therefore, I believe the CVN-19 and CVN-20 will have powered by the upgraded nuclear reactors from Fujian which will turn out to be even more powerful than the A1B reactors.
12 over what kind of time frame?

I doubt they plan to go for this many unless they plan to achieve parity with the USN, which would be a waste of funds, unless absolutely necessary, at least in the next decade or two.

Anywhere from 6 to 8 from various predictions

Personally I think there should be 6 operational carrier groups + 1 training group for a total of 7.

I also think China should have a shit ton of SSN, at least 60.
6 seems more reasonable. The two ski jump carriers will probably stay on as training ships as well as probably SLOC defense carriers, with one permanently based out of Djibouti or Myanmar at all times, to deal with the Indian navy and any blockade in the Indian Ocean vis a vi submarines.

For that same reasons, the PLAN will probably build up a lot of SSNs. The malacca straits will probably be blockaded with submarines and therefore the PLAN will need acoustic listening stations in Myanmar as well as a lot of SSNs and ASW assets to keep the SLOCs open.

Last edited:
I have no idea why @ChineseTiger1986 thinks Fujian has nuclear reactors, I've never seen any shipyard procurement documents indicating Jiangnan contracted for nuclear boilers during CV-18's construction.

As to number of carriers, I recall the PLAN was aiming for 6 by 2035, and perhaps get to 10 by 2049.

The conventional powered carriers like Liaoning and Shandong all have their boilers activated within 2 weeks of the launch, because the main propulsion needs to be powered by the boilers. Without the main propulsion being activated, there is no way you can test other systems and equipment of the ship.

Whereas Fujian has been launched for 10 months, there is no sign of fume. Its main propulsion is first being powered by the steam generated facility on the shore, because its nuclear reactors need time to be activated.

Fujian doesn't follow the same procedure for its dock trial like the previous conventional carriers like Liaoning and Shandong.

It has the similar dock trial like other nuclear powered ships, the main propulsion needs to be powered by the steam generated facility on the shore before the activation of the nuclear reactor.

Fujian's exhaust port is likely an auxiliary gas turbine propulsion to power the EMALS. So you will most likely see the fume come out of the exhaust port when Fujian has started to launch the aircrafts.

Whereas the coming CVN-19 & CVN-20 will be purely nuclear powered, its EMALS will also be integrated into its main propulsion which will be nuclear powered.

Well ... IMO much more and better explained by new and different procedures, but to think it may have a nuclear reactor which is never stated anywhere is IMO a bit far fetched!

Well ... IMO much more and better explained by new and different procedures, but to think it may have a nuclear reactor which is never stated anywhere is IMO a bit far fetched!
it has a large smoke stack behind the bridge so I'd say it's very unlikely it's nuclear powered.

Sorry, but there is NOTHING that hints towards this ... alone the huge smoke stack is the tell-tale!

I really don't know why you post this?

I have no idea why @ChineseTiger1986 thinks Fujian has nuclear reactors, I've never seen any shipyard procurement documents indicating Jiangnan contracted for nuclear boilers during CV-18's construction.

As to number of carriers, I recall the PLAN was aiming for 6 by 2035, and perhaps get to 10 by 2049.

There were many hints about the JN being assisted to build a nuclear powered ship which is none other than the CVN-18.

Sorry, but there is NOTHING that hints towards this ... alone the huge smoke stack is the tell-tale!

I really don't know why you post this?

Fujian weighs as much as the Gerald Ford class; it is a slightly shorter ship with greater width and depth.

Both CVN-19 and CVN-20 are larger than Fujian, thus it will be larger than the Gerald Ford class as well.

A larger ship would require more powerful propulsion.

Back
Top Bottom