What's new

Crossing borders : World’s cheapest car to be launched in Pakistan

maruti 800 A/C BS-III version costs Indian Rs 200,000 OTR price. it has a 3 pot mpfi engine with 38bhp power, 4 speed gear box with average mileage 15-18kmpl(I owned one back in 1999). now rarely finds a new one as Alto has officially replaced 800. Maruti 800 cannot be sold in Metros and other cities with BS-IV Pollution norms enforced.

Maruti Suzuki 800 AC BS-III Specifications - CarWale

Cost pf suzuki mehran in pakista is ~ 5lac PKR

new-suzuki-mehran-2011-wallpaper-6.jpg

Having driven both Tata Nano and Maruti/Suzuki 800, I can say that the Nano is much better, and with stronger acceleration too. My only complaint with the Nano is the smaller luggage space. But then it is roomier for the passengers. I would suggest that people wait for the diesel version of the Nano - it will give 40 km per litre.

Today, I spotted Tata Authorized Service Centres(Not Dealers) too selling Nano in small towns! Cars are available for Delivery. Nano CX and LX . this means Nanos are selling more.
At present Tata Motors has 600 Ace-only showrooms across small towns in India, while Nano is available through the company’s 617 regular outlets.

In addition, customers can have an experience of the car at 210 access points, besides being made available through about 151 Tata Authorised Service Centres.
The Hindu : Business / Companies : Tata Motors plans to open exclusive outlets for Nano

TATA NANO is not going to cost you anything less than 3-3.5 lakh considering conversion rate. In India minimum cost is 1.5 lakh while in Pakistan same will cost atleast 3 lakh. Now consider import duties, etc. So I make it around 3.5 lakh.

Some people said that NANO is crap. Ya it is, if I would have been in customer position, I would prefer BMW as others who don't consider money while posting.

I raised a question in another similar thread, let me repeat it here, is any 1 from the Indian side is currently driving it? or has anyone drove it in the past? The reason i am asking is that the engine is only 2 cylinder. How can a 2 cylinder engine produce enough power to drive a car, how long will it take before the engine finally gives up?

TATA NANO is not going to cost you anything less than 3-3.5 lakh considering conversion rate. In India minimum cost is 1.5 lakh while in Pakistan same will cost atleast 3 lakh. Now consider import duties, etc. So I make it around 3.5 lakh.

Some people said that NANO is crap. Ya it is, if I would have been in customer position, I would prefer BMW as others who don't consider money while posting.

Its too early to call it a crap after all we know nothing about it. Its just that when something happens between India and Pakistan, the usual i know all attitude starts prevailing " it has to be crap because its made in India" if you catch the drift here ;)

I raised a question in another similar thread, let me repeat it here, is any 1 from the Indian side is currently driving it? or has anyone drove it in the past? The reason i am asking is that the engine is only 2 cylinder. How can a 2 cylinder engine produce enough power to drive a car, how long will it take before the engine finally gives up?
i have driven it and will own one soon!

Two cylinder is not an issue at all. It churns out sufficient power to propel the car. Don't forget the Maruti 800/ Mehran is 3 cylinder. Even the Skoda Fabia is 3 cylinder and the engine does not lack anything at all, making the Fabia a good compact car.

Well i have driven Tata Nano.A red coloured one that my uncle bought as a present for my aunt on her birthday.
I have driven a few other cars, and I personally like a bit heavier,tougher and more powerful vehicle.I like to drive a Mahindra Scorpio.
But I must say,the Tata Nano faired better than what I was expecting from it.
I was very much concerned about the power output and acceleration.But it was rather decent,and used to climb uphills without any issue.The AC is a salient feature,its quite good,considering the displacement.If you are thinking of some off roading,then it will disappoint you,its not an SUV.Its good for city ride.Fuel economy was quite high and I expected it to be.It has a low,but steady acceleration.This car was never meant to be driven fast,and the fastest that I did was around 80kmph on top gear,maybe it could do a little higher on a longer stretch.The brakes are quite good,good stopping power,forget about ABS,it does not have any.Handling,well,I will say,its easy,even for those who dont do a lot of driving.It could have been better.
All in all,its good for a city ride,for going from location X to location Y.Its good for a small family,going to a shopping mall or a movie theatre in the evening.
Something that we need to understand is buying a car is not just buying a car.It is more like buying a package,something that Maruti popularized in India.The Tata Motors is providing good after sales support for each car sold,again a good feature.I am sceptical about this part though,whether the same kind of after sales service is going to be provided in Pakistan or not.

well i too drive around in a vehicle with two cylinder engine although a little bigger with 1100 cc with ample power, vstar 1100 ... dont see a reason why a 2 cyl engine cant power a little car

Thank you all for your input. If it ever did cross the border, i am sure going to buy one. It has decent looks and definitely much better then Mehran also known as maruti in India. Lets just hope that it does cross over and also that TATA provides the same 40000kms and after sales service in Pakistan like the one they are providing in India.

Thank you all for your input. If it ever did cross the border, i am sure going to buy one. It has decent looks and definitely much better then Mehran also known as maruti in India. Lets just hope that it does cross over and also that TATA provides the same 40000kms and after sales service in Pakistan like the one they are providing in India.

Tata nano has more leg room than mehran
Better mileage and it is very easy to drive in metro cities.
As its length is shorter than Mehran it could be easily parked.

Only thing it lacks is power , u dont get that driving pleasure but driving in cities is much of a necessity than pleasure.

And those ppl who think that Nano will suck in after sales service then they are wrong . Tata alrdy has good presence in Pak coz of Daewoo trucks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom