What's new

Crossing borders : World’s cheapest car to be launched in Pakistan

Yeah it'll sell well. The suzuki mehran is the best selling car in Pakistan even though its little more than a metal box on wheels.

The only thing is that it has to be launched locally. I don't know whether it will be launched. Business deals with Indian companies tend to fall victim to politics.

This car priced around one lakh rupees needs to be looked at as a substitute to a bike shown in the picture below. It did have some quality issues but they were isolated and Tata now offers 4 year warranty with Nano.
traffic1.jpg

i dont think this is going to happen in next 2-4 years..if happens then pakistani lower middle class is in luck..

this is bullshitt, pakistan is not a market for third class indian products, better launch this product else where

Well I never knew, The car which has passed European quality and emission standards is a 3rd generation stuff in Pakistan....

I don't see any wrong in looking for new business in different countries. And if they have passed the European standard than, they have definitely passed our standards. Primarily most of the pakistani users come from middle to high income classes and don't represent the whole pakistan, which don't really have cars. This will probably do good in bringing the car prices down and increasing competition. You don't want a monopoly in the car business.

personally i don't think it will work, but there's no harm in trying. Now if Indian if they sell indian bikes that would be great!

Engaging a nation in bilateral trade and economic ties does lower the trust defecit. This arrangement is a step taken towards non-hostile or at the most a country with minimal relations. But with a hostile country the first important issue is conflict resolution. Unless conflict between India and pakistan is resolved any investment in pakistan can be potential loss.

Although, India welcomes a civilian government in Pakistan, there has been no shift in policy towards India and still the military junta in pakistan has tight grip on the leash of the civilian government. Unless there is a singular power faction in pakistan it will be very difficult for any conflict resolution. Diplomatic conflict resolution is ought to be a process between two parties, but in this case its difficult to gage whether India need to engage the civilian or the military of pakistan to have any significant change in policies towards kashmir and terrorism.

In the aftermath of the recent events like the dastardly attacks on Indian soil, there has been no clampdown on any of the state/non-stat actors responsible for the misdoings. Pakistan's ISI was known to be the prime conspirators for attacks on Indian embassy in Afghanistan. these covert actions of lead to destabilization of any peace initiatives of the people on both sides who actually want to have a meaningful dialogue.

On the Indian side, there is arrogance because of its newly acquired might and political clout of the new millennium. Any terror activity on Indian soil causes nullification of all the peace talk progress and going back to Status quo. And as time passes Indian posturing is becoming more and more stiff.

Do we need bilateral trade with Pakistan, Answer is Yes.

Is this the right time , Answer (IMO) is NO

The actual need is not selling Nano's to pakistan and buying pakistani cement and sporting goods,
the need of the hour is to be patient with pakistan to get its internal turmoil in order. Progressively softening our posture in kashmir conflict resolution and arriving to some kind of an agreement acceptable to both the parties. Ensuring end of State/Non-state sponsored terrorism from Pakistan.

First we need to learn to tolerate each other, then end animosity, then build trust which may or may not lead to friendship... then think of bilatral trade and cultural exchange.

I dunno if this is good isn't this this car known to have quality issues and pakistan is not a big market for indian cars anyway.

how many seats and how much its gonna cost ?

what is Indian response to this car? how many Indians are gonna buy it?

how many seats and how much its gonna cost ?

what is Indian response to this car? how many Indians are gonna buy it?

Seat 4-5. Will cost between 1.2-1.4 lakh Pakistani rupees (obviously the assumption is that there will be fair amount of local component sourcing.. especially non-machine parts).. If it is imported as CKD unit and then assembled only, it will get expensive... around 2lakh pakistani rupees

It has been a huge success with lower middle class of India as a family of 4 can now easily afford a car at 1.2lakhs and with easy financing options and increasing incomes it looks even more lucarative... Now, Ranault is also planning a 2000-4000$ car for India marked, due to its sheer size...

It had problems initially with some technical snags... consequently its sales literraly came to a thumping stop... However, Tata is the most well respected group in the country and they have given a 4 year warranty on the newer versions... Post that people are again warming up to it.. however, the increased interest rates and a trend that indicated that rates will go up further could hurt its sales... as it's key customer segment is very very consious to interest rates...

I don't have the exact size of the market... but hypothesiing based on popilation and affluence numbers from Mckinsey's Bird of Gold report (purely from memory) and a couple of automobile reports i read sometime back... It could start to cater around 15-20% of the market directly and that number could touch as high as 35% in the next decade... I will try and check for absolute numbers and add further...

I think it will work in Pakistan because you also have a big lower middle class and they would relish the opportunity to own a 4 wheeler just like an average indian household does... and you can't say that it not cute small car.... :-)... Economically also, everyone will love new jobs and an opportunity to take this further the Indian/Chinese way to develop a domestic car making capabilities and it will add only... and will also be another good example of increasing trade between neighbours...

Will cost between 1.2-1.4 lakh Pakistani rupees (obviously the assumption is that there will be fair amount of local component sourcing.. especially non-machine parts).. If it is imported as CKD unit and then assembled only, it will get expensive... around 2lakh pakistani rupees

It was clarified in one of the articles I read that the basic model cost will be 2.25 Lakh Pakistani Rupees excluding local taxes.

And I am back with some statistics on Nano:

Nano sold around 10,000 units (of the total 19000 cars sold by TATA group) of the total 1,60,000 units sold in Indian Cars Sector in the month of April... Thats around 6% of the total cars market. Nano sales had gone down to as much as 500 units a month, a few months back due to some engine issues, which have been resolved. They have also started to export and have exported around 500 units this last month. The car is priced at 1,41,000 INR (~2.2lakh Pakistani Rupees). To give you an idea of competition, the largest player in country, Maruti Suzuki, sold around 75,000 cars in India.

Tata Exporting Nano - WSJ.com

It certainly is an interesting developing story on the Autombiles business, a definite part of which is moving towards smaller and energy efficient cars... i am waiting for an Hybrid/electric nano... I am sure that will rock in Europe for sure...

Another question is, will it be safe from to make Indian cars in Pakistan?

Will LET object to a factory being made in Pakistan?

It is a FLOP in Indian Market. Now they are looking out in PK and BD. Good Luck.

I said long before that the car will be a Flop. I seen this kind from Yogoslavia and drove one name Yugo... 10 years back.. hahahaha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom