What's new

Crimes against women surge in India

Here is the 2011 UN Gender Inequality report

Gender Inequality Index (GII)

India is ranked 134, Pakistan 145 Bangladesh 146 out of 187 countries.. I can very well see how India is ranked below..

I don't know what UN data reporter has based his report on..

You clearly have problems comprehending basic English. On the very link you have given, India is ranked 129th on the Gender Inequality Index (with a GII value of 0.617), whereas Pakistan is ranked 115th on the Gender Inequality Index (with a GII of 0.573).

You clearly have problems comprehending basic English. On the very link you have given, India is ranked 129th on the Gender Inequality Index (with a GII value of 0.617), whereas Pakistan is ranked 115th on the Gender Inequality Index (with a GII of 0.573).

seems pakistan is not the best country to advice india on gender inequality and crime against women,just go beyond the numbers and also check the indicators used for calculation

seems pakistan is not the best country to advice india on gender inequality and crime against women,just go beyond the numbers and also check the indicators used for calculation

But still Pakistan fares better than India on gender inequality as per the data. If we go by your reasoning, we can rule out any study that shows India is better than Pakistan in as well, like the HDI rankings, because the factors/indicators used were not the best.

But still Pakistan fares better than India on gender inequality as per the data. If we go by your reasoning, we can rule out any study that shows India is better than Pakistan in as well, like the HDI rankings, because the factors/indicators used were not the best.

as i said check the indicators used for ranking,nothing much of a difference there

as i said check the indicators used for ranking,nothing much of a difference there

I've already mentioned the indicators they have used for the ranking, they wouldn't choose the indicators of your liking without reason (when Pakistan does better than India), just like they wouldn't choose the indicators of my liking without reason (when India does better than Pakistan).

I've already mentioned the indicators they have used for the ranking, they wouldn't choose the indicators of your liking without reason (when Pakistan does better than India), just like they wouldn't choose the indicators of my liking without reason (when India does better than Pakistan).

so did you see for calculating gii that pakistan ranks only higher in politics(women members in parliament only) and not the other indicators

so did you see for calculating gii that pakistan ranks only higher in politics(women members in parliament only) and not the other indicators

Pakistan is also ranked better than India on adolescent fertility rates (teenage pregnancies), political representation, & there is not much difference in access to education, maternal death rates & labor force participation between the two countries etc. Which is why Pakistan is better than India on the GII. A similar situation is found in the HDI, where Pakistan does better than India on most factors, but still India is ranked slightly higher than Pakistan.

Not much of English comprehension skill problem but a mistake in going through the report. But it's not a problem we can deal with it again. As you mentioned above

India is ranked below Pakistan and Bangladesh on gender equality which reflects maternal death rates, teenage pregnancies, access to education, and the number of women parliamentarians and in the workplace.

So lets break down the information from the report again for easy understanding
------------- India Pakistan
Maternal
mortality
ratio --- 230/1000 260/1000

Adolescent
fertility rate 86.3 31.6

Seats in
national
parliament
(% female) 10.7 21

Population
with at least
secondary
education
(% ages 25
and older)
female 26.6 23.5

Labour force
participation rate
(%) female 32.8 21.7

Out of 5 factors you mentioned you lag in Mortality rate, Female population with education access and participation in work force so I don't clearly know what exactly were you bragging about which as usual was factually incorrect or should I say you have problems comprehending basic English too..

But still with the advantages in More number of Parliamentarians and Adolescent fertility rate, you are categorized in Low Human Development countries..

Not much of English comprehension skill problem but a mistake in going through the report. But it's not a problem we can deal with it again. As you mentioned above

So lets break down the information from the report again for easy understanding

India Pakistan
Maternal
mortality
ratio 230/1000 260/1000

Adolescent
fertility rate 86.3 31.6

Seats in
national
parliament
(% female) 10.7 21

Population
with at least
secondary
education
(% ages 25
and older)
female 26.6 23.5

Labour force
participation rate
(%) female 32.8 21.7

Out of 5 factors you mentioned you lag in Mortality rate, Female population with education access and participation in work force so I don't clearly know what exactly were you bragging about in your comment which as usual was factually incorrect or should I say you have problems comprehending basic English too..

But still with the advantages in More number of Parliamentarians and Adolescent fertility rate, you are categorized in Low Human Development countries..

The interesting thing is that out of 5 factors, Pakistan is significantly ahead in 2 of them, whereas India is marginally better than Pakistan in 3. In the HDI rankings, Pakistan does better than India on most factors, yet, India is ranked slightly higher than Pakistan. It's the same situation.

Pakistan is also ranked better than India on adolescent fertility rates (teenage pregnancies), political representation, & there is not much difference in access to education, maternal death rates & labor force participation between the two countries etc. Which is why Pakistan is better than India on the GII. A similar situation is found in the HDI, where Pakistan does better than India on most factors, but still India is ranked slightly higher than Pakistan.

so is the number difference in adolescent fertility rate any huge?
stop acting on petty things both countries are in no way better with such a miniscule differences

so is the number difference in adolescent fertility rate any huge?
stop acting on petty things both countries are in no way better with such a miniscule differences

So you admit India is no better than Pakistan on the HDI rankings? It's the same situation.

The interesting thing is that out of 5 factors, Pakistan is significantly ahead in 2 of them, whereas India is marginally better than Pakistan in 3. In the HDI rankings, Pakistan does better than India on most factors, yet, India is ranked slightly higher than Pakistan. It's the same situation.

There are differences but the main difference you are ignoring is that Pakistan is categorized under Low Human Development countries and India under Medium Development countries.. There is nothing to brag about it but definitely there are reasons for this difference..

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

both are pretty pathetic in the rankings so yes

With more poor than whole Africa, don't you think our rankings will be impacted.. Pakistan does not have that big population and as much poverty (as per their claims) but still it ranks under Low human Development countries..

There are differences but the main difference you are ignoring is that Pakistan is categorized under Low Human Development countries and India under Medium Development countries.. There is nothing to brag about it but definitely there are reasons for this difference..

But the fact of the matter is that barely 10 places separate India & Pakistan on the 2011 HDI rankings. It doesn't matter what category either country falls into. And the funny thing is, Pakistan does better than India on more indicators than vice versa in the 2011 rankings, the same thing you are complaining about here with respect to the Gender Inequality Index. In 2010, India was ranked 121 & Pakistan 125, both in the Medium Development Index. A similar situation is found in the 2009 HDI rankings. At least be consistent in your arguments.

^doesn't it suck that despite doing better in rankings (assuming they are correct), India is still considered an emerging power and pakistan is considering a failing state?

After all it doesn't make much difference what you were in the past, what matters is where you're headed.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom