What's new

Cricket

Pakistan get raw deal again
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
By our correspondent

KARACHI: Pakistan’s cricket officials were on Monday clueless over why their team was kept out of the Champions League Twenty20 competition and what they needed to do to get it inducted in the multi-million-dollar tournament.

Senior officials of the PCB just passed the buck when asked about their response to India’s decision to shut the Champions League doors on Pakistan.Ijaz Butt, the PCB chairman who was in South Africa on Monday, expressed his ignorance about the issue and said that anybody who wants more information about it should contact senior Board officials in Lahore.

When contacted, some of those senior officials said that it was Butt who had all the answers. In the end, one top official said that the PCB will make an announcement regarding the Champions League on Tuesday (today).

Meanwhile, Lalit Modi, the Champions League chief from India has declared that Pakistan are not a part of the seven-nation spectacle because their players cannot travel to India due to government restrictions.

“Unfortunately, the Pakistan government won’t give them (the players) clearance to come to India, and since Saturday was our cut-off date, it’s not possible to have a team from Pakistan this year,” Modi said in an interview on Monday.

Pakistan were one of the invitees for the inaugural Champions League that was supposed to take place last year but was postponed because of last November’s terrorist attack in Mumbai.India’s decision to overlook a team from Pakistan in the Champions League will be yet another blow for the national cricketers, who could not feature in the second edition of the cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL) that concluded on Sunday in South Africa.

The Indian cricket board that will run the Champions League with the support of a couple of other boards has taken a controversial decision by keeping Pakistan out of the tournament on the pretext of strained relations between the two neighbouring countries.

The tournament is still almost five months away and it could have included Pakistan in the field and kept a reserve side in case a team from Pakistan failed to get permission from its government to cross the border and feature in the event.

The role of the International Cricket Council (ICC) is also questionable as it has given the Champions League its patronage and created a window for it without fighting for the cause of one of its full member — Pakistan.

It remains to be seen whether the PCB will challenge the decision of the Champions League organisers to keep Pakistan out of the event and confront the ICC and the boards involved in holding it.

Pakistan get raw deal again

ICC clears Pakistan spinner Ajmal's bowling action

Updated at: 1102 PST, Monday, May 25, 2009
NEW DELHI: Pakistan spinner Saeed Ajmal has received a timely boost after an International Cricket Council (ICC) expert cleared his bowling action, which had been reported by umpires last month.

Ajmal, due to play in the World Twenty20 starting in England on June 5, was cleared after a biomechanics expert in Australia ruled his elbow extension, while bowling was within the permitted 15 degrees, an ICC statement said.

The 31-year-old off-spinner, who has played 10 one-day internationals, was reported for a suspect bowling action by umpires after the second one-dayer against Australia in Dubai.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. The Indians are now politicizing sports. Pakistan needs to respond in same fashion and boycott Indian series etc. No more Pakistan-India cricket in the foreseeable future.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. The Indians are now politicizing sports. Pakistan needs to respond in same fashion and boycott Indian series etc. No more Pakistan-India cricket in the foreseeable future.

I wish if this happens.
It all depends on PCB and GoP, both of them seems to me little careless on this issue.

Any ways India showed childly behaviour. I hope PCB n GoP will bring bck cricket soon as they will through out terrorism.

Why are you referring to all of this in hypotheticals? This is already reality; Indo-Pak cricket series' have been shelved since the Mumbai attacks and there has been no cricket in Pakistan at all since the SL team attack.

BCCI-PCB to donate earnings of T20 WC practice match

KARACHI: Despite strained relations between the two countries, the BCCI has agreed to donate its earnings from the T20 World Cup practice match
against Pakistan for the policemen, killed and injured, in the Lahore terror attack.

Pakistan Cricket Board officials said the ICC has also given its clearance for the noble cause with the consent of the English and the Indian Cricket Boards.

"It is decided that the revenues would be donated for the six policemen and a driver killed in the attack and to the policemen wounded by the militants," one PCB official said.

"It is a very good gesture from the Indians because without their cooperation and that of the England and Wales Board this would not have been possible," the official added.

The practice match, to be held on June 3 at The Oval, will also act as a curtain raiser to the mega event. The match has already evoked huge interest and will be telecast live.

The attack on the Sri Lankan team near the Gaddafi stadium on March 3 shocked the cricket world as six policemen and a van driver were killed in the tragic incident.

BCCI-PCB to donate earnings of T20 WC practice match - News - News - Cricket on Times of India

PCB clears Yousuf, Razzaq for national duty

Saturday, May 30, 2009
KARACHI: Pakistan on Friday accepted the resignations of Mohammad Yousuf and Abdul Razzaq from a rebel Indian cricket league, clearing the way for them to be selected for the national team, an official said.

The pair were among 23 players who defected to the unrecognised Indian Cricket League (ICL) and were thus barred from playing in and for Pakistan at any level.

Following their resignations, they "are now eligible to be selected for Pakistan's international series in future," Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) director human resources Wasim Bari told AFP.

Twenty-one players had their bans suspended by Sindh High Court in February, making them eligible to play domestic cricket.

Inzamam-ul-Haq, who is retired from international cricket and Saqlain Mushtaq, who now lives in England, did not seek to have their bans suspended.

The ICL, bankrolled by India's largest media group Zee Telefilms, said it would no objection if some players represent their country.

Several countries have announced an umbrella amnesty for players quitting the ICL by May 31, but the PCB said it would consider selecting players on a case by case basis.

Razzaq and Yousuf were part of Pakistan team until they were axed for the inaugural World Twenty20 held in South Africa in 2007.

As protest both signed for the ICL - which is not recognised by the ICC and the Board of Control for Cricket in India - and were immediately banned.

Yousuf rescinded his decision in 2007 but rejoined the ICL in November last year after developing differences with then captain Shoaib Malik.

Razzaq said he was delighted at the prospect of playing for Pakistan.

"I am delighted," said Razzaq. "I am keen to return for Pakistan and hope my performances at domestic level will earn me a recall," Razzaq said.

Razzaq, 29, had played 46 Tests and 231 One-day Internationals and was regarded as one of the leading allrounders in the world.

The 34-year-old Yousuf had played 79 Tests and 269 One-day Internationals and was declared ICC's best batsman of the year in 2007. He scored a world record 1,788 runs - the most in a calendar year in Test cricket -- in 2006.

PCB clears Yousuf, Razzaq for national duty

'We want to win the title'

Saturday, May 30, 2009
KARACHI: Pakistan captain Younis Khan is confident his team can go one better in the World Twenty20 after finishing runners-up last time to bitter rivals India.

Two years ago, Pakistan lost a nailbiting final against India by five runs in Johannesburg, a loss that Younis insists his team is eager to put behind them.

"We want to win the title," said Younis. "We have the talent, but it's a tough competition where other eleven teams will do their best to finish at the top."

Pakistan are in Group B, along with hosts England and the Netherlands, in first round of the competition which runs from June 5-21.

They take on England June 7 before facing the Netherlands two days later.

The second round Super Eight stages should give Pakistan an easy draw with likely rivals being New Zealand, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

But Younis is not taking any team lightly.

"We need to be at our best even against the Netherlands because no team is small or big," said Younis who was referring to Pakistan's defeat to Ireland at the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean which sent them packing from the tournament.

That defeat was the start of a dark chapter in Pakistan's cricket history.

Coach Bob Woolmer died at the tournament while captain Inzamam-ul-Haq retired.

Malik then lost the captaincy after Pakistan's one-day defeat against Sri Lanka earlier this year. That led to Younis taking over the hot seat.

Under Younis, Pakistan lost 3-2 to Australia in a recent one-day series in the United Arab Emirates, but won the one-off Twenty20 match.

Younis said Pakistan's preparations have been satisfactory.

"We beat Australia in the Twenty20 match which was a good morale booster and then had a good conditioning camp and some practice matches which tuned us well for England," said Younus, whose team has the best win ratio in all Twenty20.

Pakistan have won eight of their 11 internationals with two defeats and one tied match.

Pakistan will heavily rely on paceman Umar Gul who has taken the most wickets (24 in 14 matches) in this newest form of the game and with injury-prone Shoaib Akhtar pulled out of the team, his responsibility has increased.

Rao Iftikhar, who replaced Akhtar in the squad, Sohail Tanvir, Yasir Arafat and rookie paceman Mohammad Aamir complete the fast bowling line-up.

The 17-year-old Aamir is tipped to surprise with his speed and swing in English conditions.

Shahid Afridi, Saeed Ajmal and Shoaib Malik lead the the spin department which has the ability to stop runs and take wickets.

Younis hoped his own batting form improves to help lift an otherwise inconsistent line-up which also has opener Salman Butt, Misbah-ul-Haq, Malik Afridi and in-form Kamran Akmal.

'We want to win the title'

Confident Pakistan head to England for World T20 glory

Sunday, May 31, 2009
By Khalid Hussain

KARACHI: Pakistan are hoping that their action-starved players will take centre-stage in the World Twenty20 championship to be played in England from June 5-21.

Intikhab Alam, the Pakistan coach, told 'The News' in an interview before the national team's departure for England on Saturday, that his charges were itching to take the field against the world's best cricketers in what is the most eagerly-awaited sporting event in this part of the world.

"We might be the only leading team, who have played the least international cricket in the last six months or so," said Intikhab. "But more than a handicap, I'm confident that a lack of big matches will make our players hungrier for success which is why I'm counting on them to shine in England," he added.

Led by Younis Khan, Pakistan's 15-man squad has a number of match winners and Intikhab said that on their day Pakistan can beat the world's best teams.

"With players like Shahid Afridi and Umar Gul, nobody can afford to take our team for granted," he said. "We have a very solid Twenty20 squad and if they click in England, we should be able to give our people a very special gift in the form of the World Cup trophy," said the former Pakistan captain.

The fact that Pakistan have the best success record in the shortest version of the game also adds to Intikhab's confidence.

"It's always good to have some good wins in your pocket like the one we achieved against Australia earlier this month," said the coach referring to Pakistan's comfortable win in a one-off Twenty20 game against Australia in Dubai on May 7.

Unlike other top title contenders like defending champions India, Australia, South Africa and England, Pakistan have rarely played top class cricket during the last several months.

But Intikhab said that a series of One-day Internationals against Australia in UAE, a conditioning camp in the hills of Bhurban, several practice games and the recently-concluded RBS National Twenty20 Cup have left his players in peak shape.

"Our homework for the England assignment was quite good," he said. "The players are supremely fit and are in good form."

"You can't predict about Twenty20 matches but I am backing my team to do very well because the preparations have been top class," he added.

Pakistan were forced to axe experienced pacer Shoaib Akhtar from the squad last week because of a skin infection. He was replaced by Rao Iftikhar Anjum.

Intikhab is confident that his players will quickly adjust to English conditions.

"There should be any problems in adjusting to the conditions in England because most of the boys are quite experienced. What we must guard against is complacency, because no opponent can be taken lightly," he stressed.

Pakistan will warm up for the World Twenty20 with a couple of practice matches against South Africa (June 1) in Nottingham and India (June 3) at The Oval.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided that proceeds from the Pakistan-India game would be given to the victims of the attack on the Sri Lankan team in Lahore in March.

The Greenshirts will begin their title campaign with a game against hosts England on June 7 at The Oval followed by their second and last Group B match against underdogs Netherlands at Lord's on June 9.

Pakistan squad: Younis Khan (captain), Salman Butt, Ahmed Shahzad, Misbah-ul-Haq, Kamran Akmal (wicket-keeper), Fawad Alam, Shoaib Malik, Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir, Yasir Arafat, Umar Gul, Mohammad Aamir, Saeed Ajmal, Rao Iftikhar Anjum, Shazaib Hasan.

Confident Pakistan head to England for World T20 glory

Pakistan squad: Younis Khan (captain), Salman Butt, Ahmed Shahzad, Misbah-ul-Haq, Kamran Akmal (wicket-keeper), Fawad Alam, Shoaib Malik, Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir, Yasir Arafat, Umar Gul, Mohammad Aamir, Saeed Ajmal, Rao Iftikhar Anjum, Shazaib Hasan.

Squad is week as captain.
There is no fast bowler.
I heard abt Mohammad Aamir, dont know how much fast he can bowl. But he is very young still nder 20 (I guess).

I think there is no place for Fawad Alam, Shoaib Malik, Yasir Arafat, Rao Iftikhar Anjum in the squad.

Abdul-Razaq and Imran nazir missed the tournment, they would be batter then others.

MZUBAIR said:
Squad is week as captain.
There is no fast bowler.
I heard abt Mohammad Aamir, dont know how much fast he can bowl. But he is very young still nder 20 (I guess).

I think there is no place for Fawad Alam, Shoaib Malik, Yasir Arafat, Rao Iftikhar Anjum in the squad.

Abdul-Razaq and Imran nazir missed the tournment, they would be batter then others.
Express fast bowlers tend to be a liability in T20 cricket, especially over the duration of a tournament. Batsmen, and in particular openers use the pace of the ball to score a lot of boundaries in the initial overs when the field restrictions are on.

The best bowlers tend to be medium pacers who can move the ball in the air and off the seam at good length initially and then bowl swinging full length deliveries at the death. Pakistan should be more than fine with the squad they have.

Express fast bowlers tend to be a liability in T20 cricket, especially over the duration of a tournament. Batsmen, and in particular openers use the pace of the ball to score a lot of boundaries in the initial overs when the field restrictions are on.

The best bowlers tend to be medium pacers who can move the ball in the air and off the seam at good length initially and then bowl swinging full length deliveries at the death. Pakistan should be more than fine with the squad they have.

I hope sir,
Otherwise since 1999 we never performed well in any mega event except in last T20 WC event.
Shoaib Malik (c), Abdur Rehman,Fawad Alam, Iftikhar Anjum , Imran Nazir, Kamran Akmal, Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammad Asif,Mohammad Hafeez, Salman Butt , Shahid Afridi , Sohail Tanvir , Umar Gul , Yasir Arafat , Younis Khan .
(Pakistan lost 2 games, both against India)
Younis Khan, Ahmed Shehzad, Fawad Alam, Iftikhar Anjum, Kamran Akmal, Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammad Aamer, Saeed Ajmal, Salman Butt, Shahid Afridi, Shahzaib Hasan, Shoaib Malik, Sohail Tanvir, Umar Gul, Yasir Arafat

Lets see, wt new caps do (Ahmed Shehzad,Mohammad Aamer, Saeed Ajmal,Shahzaib Hasan)

It happens as I said,
Pakistan really bowled and fielded very poor against SA in warm up match.

First 6 overs were out of my mind.

Pakistan team dont looks to me professional. Captain is also foolish person.

I always say there is no place for Fawad Alam, Shoaib Malik, Yasir Arafat, Rao Iftikhar Anjum and yes Younis Khan too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom