What's new

Creation of Bangladesh

RR

Read his book.

If you can't buy it, go to a library!

Alamgir,

Are you suggesting that there was no genocide and the world was wrong.

I presume the Bengalis merely wilted with fear and had a widespread epidemic of heart attacks by just observing the valiant uniformed Punajbis!
you never think why PA start action in east pakistan.and genocide of non bangalies by terrorist mukti bhani start much before the PA action,PA only react to safe,government institutions,petoriatic,pakistani.yes offcours PA commet some mistake,where some civilions loos life,but crimes of triators mukti bhani were much more then PA.

These are mainly political mistakes and miss handlings of the leaders and Propeganda by the Indians they well supported mukti bhani and use the Bangalis to divide the Pakistan .. did any one know how many Bangali are working in Karachi industrial ares and Road side pan shops if we hated them we can easily kill them here tooo how many are in Middle east on Pakistani Passport illegel working and Saudia and UAE also they spoile the name of Pakistan too .They are always invole in the Illegal activites in Makkah Madina Every where when any one goes on Hajj can easily saw them what they are doing ... Last Night i am seeing a dram on Rashid Minhas did Mutee Rehman done the Right thing it means bangalis are never trusted ... You can never trust them ,,

Why we are fighting here for a cruel episode directed by Secularists on both sides who destroyed our unity and divided us in two parts. It's time we must return towards the Islamic values and start thinking what Islam wants from us which can give us success in both the worlds, here and in life after death.

Dacca, City of the Dead

Within hours after launching a tank-led offensive in Dacca and other East Pakistani cities on the night of March 25, the Pakistan army imposed a virtual blackout on the brutal civil war in Bangla Desh (Bengal State) by expelling foreign newsmen. TIME correspondent Dan Coggin, who was among them, recently trekked back from India by Honda, truck, bus and bicycle to become the first American journalist to visit Dacca since the fighting started. His report:

Dacca was always a fairly dreary city, offering slim pleasures beyond the Hotel Intercontinental and a dozen Chinese restaurants that few of its 1,500,000 people could afford. Now. in many ways. it has become a city of the dead. A month after the army struck unleashing tank guns and automatic weapons against largely unarmed civilians in 34 hours of wanton slaughter, Dacca is still shocked and shuttered, its remaining inhabitants living in terror under the grip of army con trol. The exact toll will never be known. but probably more than 10,000 were killed in Dacca alone.

Perhaps half the city's population has fled to outlying villages. With the lifting of army blockades at road and river ferry exits, the exodus is resuming. Those who remain venture outdoors only for urgent food shopping. Rice prices have risen 50% since the army reportedly started burning grain silos in some areas. In any case, 14 of the city's 18 food bazaars were destroyed. The usually jammed streets are practically empty and no civil government is functioning.

"Kill the Bastards!" On every rooftop, Pakistan’s green-and-white flags hang limply in the steamy stillness. "We all know that Pakistan is finished,' said one Bengali. 'but we hope the flags will keep the soldiers away.'. As another form of insurance, portraits of Pakistan's late founder Mohammed Ali Jinnah, and even the current President Agha Mohammed Yahya Khan, were displayed prominently. But there was no mistaking the fact that the East Pakistanis viewed the army’s occupation of Dacca as a setback and not a surrender. "We will neither forgive nor forget," said one Bengali. On learning that I was a sangbadik (journalist), various townspeople led me to mass graves, to a stairwell where two professors were shot to death, and to scenes of other atrocities.

The most savage killing occurred in the Old City, where several sections were burned to the ground, poured gasoline around entire blocks, igniting them with flamethrowers, then mowed down people trying to escape the cordons of fire, "They're coming out!" a Westerner heard soldiers cry, "Kill the bastards!"

One Bengali businessman told of losing his son, daughter-in-Iaw and four grandchildren in the fire. Few apparently survived in the destroyed sections-25 square blocks-of the Old City. If they escaped the flames, they ran into gunfire. To frighten survivors, soldiers refused to allow the removal of decomposing bodies for three days, despite the Moslem belief in prompt burial, preferably within 24 hours, to free the soul.

The dead of Dacca included some of East Pakistan's most prominent educators and businessmen, as well as some 500 students. Among at least seven University of Dacca professors who were executed without apparent reason was the head of the philosophy department. Govinda Chandra Dev, 65, a gentle Hindu who believed in unity in diversity. Another victim was Jogesh Chandra Ghosh, 86, the invalid millionaire chemist. Ghosh, who did not believe in banks, was dragged from his bed and shot to death by soldiers who looted more than $1 million in rupees from his home.

Looting was also the motive for the slaying of Ranada Prasad Saha, 80, one of East Pakistan's leading jute exporters and one of its few philanthropists: he had built a modern hospital offering free medical care at Mirzapur, 40 miles north of Dacca. Dev, Ghosh and Saha were all Hindus.

"Where arc the maloun [cursed ones] rampaging soldiers often asked as they searched for Hindus. But the Hindus were by no means the only victims. Many soldiers arriving in East Pakistan were reportedly told the absurdity that it was all right to kill Bengali Moslems because they were Hindus in disguise. "We can kill anyone for anything," a Punjabi captain told a relative. "We are accountable to no one.”

Next Prime Minister. The tales of brutality are seemingly endless. A young man whose house was being searched begged the soldiers to do anything but to leave his 17-year-old sister alone; they spared him so he could watch them murder her with a bayonet. Colonel Abudl Hai, a Bengali physician attached to the East Regiment, was allowed to make a phone call to his family; an hour later his body was delivered to his home. An old man-who decided that Friday prayers were more important than the curfew was shot to death as he walked into a mosque.

About 1:30 on the morning of the attack, two armored personnel carriers arrived at the Dhanmandi home of Sheik Mujibur ("Mujib") Rahman, 51, the political leader behind the campaign for Bengali independence. Mujib first took refuge beneath a bed when the Special Security Group commandos began to spray his house with small-arms fire. Then, during a lull, he went to the downstairs veranda, raised his hands in surrender and shouted, "There is no need for shooting. Here I am. Take me."

Mujib was flown to West Pakistan, where he is reported held in Attock Fort near Peshawar. As an activist who had already spent nine years and eight months in jail, he may have reasoned at the time of his arrest that his political goals would be served by the martyrdom of further imprisonment. But he obviously did not expect to face a treason charge and possible execution. Only two months earlier, after all, President Yahya had referred to him as "the next Prime Minister of Pakistan."

No Choice. In Mujib's absence, the resistance movement is sorely lacking leadership, as well as arms, ammunition and communications gear. In late March, the mukti fauj (liberation forces) overwhelmed several company-size elements, as at Kushtia and Pabna, but bolt-action rifles cannot stop Sabre jets, artillery and army troops operating in battalion strength.

Still, everywhere I visited on the journey to Dacca, I found astonishing unanimity on the Bengali desire for independence and a determination to resist the Pakistan army with whatever means available. "We will not be slaves, said one resistance officer, "so there is no choice but to fight until we win." The oncoming monsoon rains and the Islamabad government's financial problems will also work in favor of Bangla Desh. As the months pass and such hardships increase, Islamabad may have to face the fact that unity by force of arms is not exactly the Pakistan that Jinnah had in mind.

TIME May 3, 1971; pp. 28

Why? Can't you spend some money and buy Musharraf's book?

Or now that things are getting uncomfortable, you wish to show your loyalty to the Opposition blokes?

Could it be that the educated is required to govern and not the feudal lot with Divine blessed rights being the sole criterion and hence the four leaders? ! ;)

Who were the bureaucrats and the stalwarts of the Judiciary - the Mohajir. Again it was education that got them there.

If the Mohajirs, including Bengalis got their bureaucratic etc jobs due to their education, then where was the discrimination you're harping on about? Does it not sound fair to you?

Why we are fighting here for a cruel episode directed by Secularists on both sides who destroyed our unity and divided us in two parts. It's time we must return towards the Islamic values and start thinking what Islam wants from us which can give us success in both the worlds, here and in life after death.

I don't agree with the "both sides" you use here. Unity was destroyed by Mujib and his followers who brainwashed easily their own people into nationalism (which has strong roots amongst the Bengalis). When Mujib said that East Pakistan would be the richest country in the world, selling golden threads of jute, if it weren't for West Pakistan, the people believed him. I cannot say that Gen Yahya Khan did not try for unity. The central government of Pakistan at the time also wanted unity. Only the Awami League were pushing for splitting the whole country in two..not that i necessarily think it's a bad thing.

If the Mohajirs, including Bengalis got their bureaucratic etc jobs due to their education, then where was the discrimination you're harping on about? Does it not sound fair to you?

There was nothing to discriminate.

Others were plumb D-umb!

RR,

Are you on some barbiturates that you give that dunkard and womaniser Yahyah credit?

That is an insult to your forefathers.
I understand when people, as we had a bad past, but lets put it away and move forward. But this absurd.

I don't agree with the "both sides" you use here. Unity was destroyed by Mujib and his followers who brainwashed easily their own people into nationalism (which has strong roots amongst the Bengalis). When Mujib said that East Pakistan would be the richest country in the world, selling golden threads of jute, if it weren't for West Pakistan, the people believed him. I cannot say that Gen Yahya Khan did not try for unity. The central government of Pakistan at the time also wanted unity. Only the Awami League were pushing for splitting the whole country in two..not that i necessarily think it's a bad thing.

roadrunner i completely DISAGREE with you & the anti-Bengali attitude that you are portraying is actually suicidal for Pakistan's foreign policy Bangladesh is an important member country in the geopolitics of south Asia this kind of mentality will only push it far from Pakistan
thank you

kbagdadi i apologize to you for any offense that you might have felt you are right brother:tup: the ummah needs unity its the need of the hour i am with you on this one.

There was nothing to discriminate.

Others were plumb D-umb!

RR,

Are you on some barbiturates that you give that dunkard and womaniser Yahyah credit?

whether he was a womanizer, an axe murderer or rapist is irrelevant as to whether he wanted unity or not. The whole point of the war was that he did want a united East and West wing, else there wouldn't have been any fighting !!!!

roadrunner i completely DISAGREE with you & the anti-Bengali attitude that you are portraying is actually suicidal for Pakistan's foreign policy Bangladesh is an important member country in the geopolitics of south Asia this kind of mentality will only push it far from Pakistan
thank you

kbagdadi i apologize to you for any offense that you might have felt you are right brother:tup: the ummah needs unity its the need of the hour i am with you on this one.

Not true at all. Bangladesh is irrelevant to Pakistan's foreign policy. They do not have an Army or Air force or a Navy, trade is minimal between the two countries, all that happens is they dump a lot of illegals onto Pakistan that soak up the stronger rupee. Tell me how or why Pakistan needs Bangladesh. I can tell you many ways that Bangladesh needs Pakistan more than the other way round. I'm not interested in trying to please Bangladeshis or whoever, only facts interest me, so you tell me how Pakistan needs Bangladesh more than Bangladesh needs Pakistan.

Didnt Mujib win the elections, why wasnt he allowed to become PM?

Didnt Mujib win the elections, why wasnt he allowed to become PM?

:hitwall: We've been through this a hundred times, why doesn't it sink into you? Mujib won the elections, but he wanted to split up Pakistan into TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. If he wanted to lead a single, united Pakistan, there would have been no problem with him doing so. Legally he was wrong, what he proposed went against the Legal Framework Order of the elections, so the courts of Pakistan would have not allowed him to take power. The only way to achieve his goal was through war, which he had pre planned for a long time with Bharat behind the scenes.

Sheikh Mujib wanted a confederation: US papers

By Anwar Iqbal

WASHINGTON, July 6: The US State Department’s newly declassified documents about the 1971 debacle show that Sheikh Mujibur Rahman wanted to have a “form of confederation” with Pakistan rather than a separate country. The documents include two telegrams dating Feb 28, 1971 and Dec 23, 1971 “based on the sentiments of Sheikh Mujib and the then Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi,” showing that Sheikh Mujib was not secessionist, as many in the then West Pakistan believed.

The telegrams, sent to the State Department by the US embassies in Pakistan and India, document key foreign policy decisions and actions of the administrations of Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.

The telegram, entitled “Conversation with Sheikh Mujibur Rahman,” shows the path followed by the Awami League leader as he “talks of excesses by West Pakistan, states he (Mujib) is not willing to share power and does not want separation but rather a form of confederation.”

In November 1969, a year before the war began, a US diplomat sent this report to Washington: “… East Pakistan, one also senses a growing undercurrent that beyond some intangible point the West Pakistan landlord-civil service-military elite might prefer to see the country split rather than submit to Bengali ascendancy.”

One telegram quotes Indira Gandhi as saying that President Nixon has “misunderstanding about India’s case” and that “there is fantastic nonsense being talked about in the US about our having received promises from the Soviet Union about the Soviet intervention against the seventh fleet and against China.”

The documents released on June 28 provide full coverage of the US policy towards India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the newly created state of Bangladesh from January 1969 to December 1972.

Documents from March to December 1971 include intelligence assessments, key messages from the US embassies in Islamabad and New Delhi and the Consulate General in Dhaka, responses to National Security Study memoranda and full transcripts of the presidential tape recordings that are summarized and excerpted in editorial notes in volume XI.

The historian branch of the State Department held a two-day conference on June 28 and 29 on US policy in South Asia between 1961 and 1972, inviting scholars from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh to express their views on the declassified documents.

During the seminar, Bangladeshi scholars acknowledged that their official figure of more than 3 million killed during and after the military action was not authentic.

They said that the original figure was close to 300,000, which was wrongly translated from Bengali into English as three million.

Shamsher M. Chowdhury, the Bangladesh ambassador in Washington who was commissioned in the Pakistan Army in 1969 but had joined his country’s war of liberation in 1971, acknowledged that Bangladesh alone cannot correct this mistake. Instead, he suggested that Pakistan and Bangladesh form a joint commission to investigate the 1971 disaster and prepare a report.

Almost all scholars agreed that the real figure was somewhere between 26,000, as reported by the Hamoodur Rahman Commission, and not three million, the official figure put forward by Bangladesh and India.

Prof Sarmila Bose, an Indian academic, told the seminar that allegations of Pakistani army personnel raping Bengali women were grossly exaggerated.

Based on her extensive interviews with eyewitnesses, the study also determines the pattern of conflict as three-layered: West Pakistan versus East Pakistan, East Pakistanis (pro-Independence) versus East Pakistanis (pro-Union) and the fateful war between India and Pakistan.

Prof Bose noted that no neutral study of the conflict has been done and reports that are passed on as part of history are narratives that strengthen one point of view by rubbishing the other. The Bangladeshi narratives, for instance, focus on the rape issue and use that not only to demonize the Pakistan army but also exploit it as a symbol of why it was important to break away from (West) Pakistan.

Prof Bose, a Bengali herself and belonging to the family of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, emphasized the need for conducting independent studies of the 1971 conflict to bring out the facts.

She also spoke about the violence generated by all sides. “The civil war of 1971 was fought between those who believed they were fighting for a united Pakistan and those who believed their chance for justice and progress lay in an independent Bangladesh. Both were legitimate political positions. All parties in this conflict embraced violence as a means to the end, all committed acts of brutality outside accepted norms of warfare, and all had their share of humanity. These attributes make the 1971 conflict particularly suitable for efforts towards reconciliation, rather than recrimination,” says Prof Bose.

http://www.dawn.com/2005/07/07/nat3.htm

^Read the 6-point plan first. Then read the Legal Framework Order.

Here's 4 of the points.

• The federal government should deal with only two subjects: defence and foreign affairs, and all other residuary subjects shall be vested in the federating states.
  • Two separate, but freely convertible currencies for two wings should be introduced; or if this is not feasible, there should be one currency for the whole country, but effective constitutional provisions should be introduced to stop the flight of capital from East to West Pakistan. Furthermore, a separate banking reserve should be established and separate fiscal and monetary policy be adopted for East Pakistan.
  • The power of taxation and revenue collection shall be vested in the federating units and the federal centre will have no such power. The federation will be entitled to a share in the state taxes to meet its expenditures.
  • There should be two separate accounts for the foreign exchange earnings of the two wings; the foreign exchange requirements of the federal government should be met by the two wings equally or in a ratio to be fixed; indigenous products should move free of duty between the two wings, and the constitution should empower the units to establish trade links with foreign countries.

This isn't a federation. It's a weak, divided country. Only a federation in name.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom