What's new

Covid-19 claims 65 more lives, another 1,739 test positive in 24 hours

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Every life lost is sad but good to see that BD is following SOPs and there is enough social distancing, immunity from prior infection, exposure from other coronaviruses, and the vaccines to force the R number below 1 again.

Positive cases - Have gone down from a 7-day daily average of 7000 on April 9th to 2150 today.

Recorded deaths - Have gone down from a 7-day daily average of 100 on April 21st to 71 today.

Of course these are all underestimates, especially the positive case numbers, but the important thing is the trend.

Hot and humid Monsoon conditions from the latter part of May/early June should also help keep the virus at bay while BD carries on the roll-out of the jab to it's most vulnerable 15-20% of the population.

Take the government figures on infections and deaths with a bag of salt.
There is gross under-reporting in Bangladesh due to various reasons including poor people avoiding tests and treatment to keep their jobs, relatives of dead covid victims suppressing diagnosis for burials to go smoothly, administrative incompetence, etc..

The recent dip in numbers is due to the temporary and unsustainable lockdown + people leaving Dhaka early for Eid. Just wait and watch how the numbers explode once people return to work and the Indian strain takes hold.

This time you will see real "Eid er por Andolon" by Covid.

There is gross under-reporting in Bangladesh due to various reasons including poor people avoiding tests and treatment to keep their jobs, relatives of dead covid victims suppressing diagnosis for burials to go smoothly, administrative incompetence, etc..

The recent dip in numbers is due to the temporary and unsustainable lockdown + people leaving Dhaka early for Eid. Just wait and watch how the numbers explode once people return to work and the Indian strain takes hold.

Here you go. May God help us:

Covid-19 for all intents and purposes will become irrelevant in BD by September if the dumb BD government just signs the deal for 4 million emergency doses of Sputnik for BD and then quickly takes the Russian offer to set up local production.

AstraZeneca vaccine is highly effective against the Indian variant as only 4 people out of thousands infected with the virus in the UK have so far died.
In a UK care home with very elderly and frail residents, 15 caught the Indian variant and only 4 needed hospital treatment for non-severe disease.

Just like people were panicking last March/April about a catastrophe in BD, we are seeing similar again.

As for the situation in BD, the virus is well back in its box again.

Bangladesh's daily Covid-19 deaths drop to lowest in nearly two months
Tribune Desk
  • Published at 04:10 pm May 15th, 2021
swab test covid bangladesh

A health workers takes a nasal swab from a woman in Bangladesh for Covid-19 testing Reuters
Ads
261 news cases recorded
Bangladesh has registered 261 new Covid-19 cases, taking the tally so far to 779,796.
The death toll climbed to 12,124 after 22 fatalities were recorded in a 24-hour time frame until Saturday morning, the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) said in a press release.
2021/03/dhaka-tribune-770-x-90-1617033686951.gif
Meanwhile, another 964 patients recovered from the infectious disease through treatment at home and in hospital care, which brought the total recovery count to 721,435.

Bangladesh's daily Covid-19 deaths drop to lowest in nearly two months
I wonder how the infection and death figures would come down so fast when the country still seeking vaccines from many different sources.

I hope the figures are correct but we should keep our eyes open to see a large number of new cases of infections.

Did BD government allow people to pray Taraweeh every night in masses at Mosque like what was happening in Indonesia during Ramadhan ?

I wonder how the infection and death figures would come down so fast when the country still seeking vaccines from many different sources.

I hope the figures are correct but we should keep our eyes open to see a large number of new cases of infections.

1. A significant minority of the vulnerable in BD now have effective protection from the AstraZeneca vaccine that is very effective, even against the new Indian variant.

2. BD government acted quickly to close the border with India last month and also has implemented lockdowns with varying degrees of success.

Like I say as long as BD government acts fast as regards to Sputnik vaccine, then for all intents and purposes the pandemic will be over in BD by September.

BD should hopefully get 4 million of the vast 60 million US stockpile of AstraZeneca vaccines it has requested that is being giving away this month, and Serum Insititute of India estimates that India will resume exports of AstraZeneca vaccine to BD in late May/early June.

As for the case numbers, they are a vast underestimate due to low testing capacity in BD, but the important thing is the trend and that is they are coming down, combined with the now below 10% positive to test ratio, which suggests the virus is in retreat in BD.

I believe the govt numbers. If you want to know the true situation, you should look at how many vacant beds and ICUs er at the hospital. Currently there is no bed / ICU shortage in Dhaka. We have definitely squashed the April uptick. I'm not a religious person but there is some divine intervention at work in Bangladesh.

I believe the govt numbers. If you want to know the true situation, you should look at how many vacant beds and ICUs er at the hospital. Currently there is no bed / ICU shortage in Dhaka. We have definitely squashed the April uptick. I'm not a religious person but there is some divine intervention at work in Bangladesh.

Discipline and control brother.

I saw pictures of BGB patrolling all the major towns and enforcing curfew.

That did help somewhat.

And the fact that Eid shopping was also quashed to some degree.

No traditional Eid hugs either.

We did see some people going home in droves. These stupid idiots deserve to die.

Indians suffer because they are steeped in mass superstition.

As if banging pots will make corona go away.

Nangey sadhus milling around during Kumbhmela by the hundreds of thousands. Holi. Election rallies encouraged by Modi. All super-spreader events.

Very sad.

These were showcased around the world and demonstrated what a backward nation India has now become under Modi.

Their bhakts are doing the work of "supposed" CCP bots.

Covid-19: Bangladesh records 25 more deaths, 363 new cases

I think it is not just the lockdown but the near 10 million doses of the excellent AstraZeneca vaccine that has been given to date that is responsible for quick retreat of the virus in BD over the last month.

BD just needs to get at least a first dose to the most vulnerable 20-25% of its population by September and the pandemic will by in large be over and most, if not all, restrictions can be lifted.

I'm sure he didn't, it is reprehensible.

Bhai at some point you cannot save people from killing themselves, if they are stupid.

Not only are they stupid, they are also irresponsible to the Nth degree.

Just walking off the cliff like lemmings and taking others with them.

Darwin used to call it natural selection.

I call it self-induced culling of the herd.

In the end, the herd will benefit.

1. A significant minority of the vulnerable in BD now have effective protection from the AstraZeneca vaccine that is very effective, even against the new Indian variant.

2. BD government acted quickly to close the border with India last month and also has implemented lockdowns with varying degrees of success.

Like I say as long as BD government acts fast as regards to Sputnik vaccine, then for all intents and purposes the pandemic will be over in BD by September.

BD should hopefully get 4 million of the vast 60 million US stockpile of AstraZeneca vaccines it has requested that is being giving away this month, and Serum Insititute of India estimates that India will resume exports of AstraZeneca vaccine to BD in late May/early June.

As for the case numbers, they are a vast underestimate due to low testing capacity in BD, but the important thing is the trend and that is they are coming down, combined with the now below 10% positive to test ratio, which suggests the virus is in retreat in BD.
Look, what the newspapers say on the present stocks of vaccines. How do you expect "No Corona" in October this year?

https://epaper.newagebd.net/

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom