What's new

Could Myanmar and Bangladesh Go To War Over the Rohingya Crisis?

Why would bd wants to go to war against mm. Its already on fire. Let it burn and bleed little more. ARSA will take care the rest.
Are you kidding? there will be nothing left of rohingas by then, ARSA is too small, weak and have called for a ceasefire. They have failed to stop anything, over 400,000 Rohinga refugees in BD already and more will continue. Only hope is if Bangladesh leaders grow some balls, oh sorry forgot they are all woman.

There is a lot of talk about china not supporting BD in the forum.

We need to be mature about this.

China is seeking influence in the region and competing with US and India. They have their own priority and interests and respond to the general attitude of the states they are dealing with.

Burmese are uneducated unsophisticated monkeys. They are perpetrating genocide, something they have successively done periodically as a way for the army to remain in power. What has been their default position to date, it has always been to shut themselves off from the rest of the world. Chinese have investments in place that would be harmed if Burma goes under sanction again. It is North Korea light.

Chinese calculation also factors in India who is seeking to gain a toehold. They will not take a position where there is a straight choice between them and the Indians from a Burmese perspective. This explains broadly my analysis of the Chinese perspective.

What about Chinese perspective of BD. It is a country that is completely different from Burma. It actively seeks to be part of the world community and is integrated into the world economy.

It also seeks to balance influence between US, China and India although there is a natural tendency to favour china.

What would it cost china to support MM over BD. In their calculus I do not believe it would be much. China expected their would be bad blood in BD but it would blow over in time. BD fundamentally do not trust India so it would gravitate towards china. This assumption is based on BD maintaining its current diplomatic posture.

Here in lies the question for BD. Can we maintain our current posture. I believe no.

We should have taken an aggressive position against the monkeys.

Despite all the talks neither china nor India would have gotten involved. The equation changes the moment BD changes posture.

China would not seek to alienate BD completely by directly assisting MM. India would then have been forced to support BD so as not to effectively have Chinese assets on the MM coast threating andaman. China directly supporting MM would force BD into Indian arms.

From an Indian perspective it's the same issue. They had to support MM so as to maintain links with the monkeys. Again as long as BD maintains current posture supporting MM makes sense as in the long run relationship with BD is mendable.

However in an active conflict India can not support MM. To do so would risk china effectively taking over Myanmar and completely removing Indian gains.

The current situation has come about due to BD passivity. China and India wishes to maintain status quo. This is served by paying lip service to MM. In any active conflict neither china nor India will participate and certainly not on behalf of MM.

BD needs to own the scenario and dictate it. We absolutely needs to take an aggressive posture against MM and shift alliances as necessary. The game is on, china and India would like to maintain status quo, US under trump is unpredictable but is anti china.

Ethnic cleansing of the rohingya is a direct threat against BD. A war can not be avoided and I would rather we just get on with it. There is no good time for war, we can say let's build up this and that but so will our enemies. There will never be a good time. It is not a option to be exercised lightly and should be taken with full consideration. But if it comes down would china and India support MM against BD.... then no they would not. China and India needs to maintain balance so they will step aside.

In the long run this scenario have proved again that BD stands alone. We need to accelerate our development and widen our alliances.

Your thoughts and arguments are very interesting.

I wish I was senior enough to give you a positive rating, if for no other reason than it seems that your proposing a shift in the reactionary nature of Bangladeshi actions to this point to a more active and forward thinking one.

BD Muslims (?) will run away from the battle fields as they did in 1757 CE.
Too be fair I think that loss was more because of meticulous British planning and complacency on our part

hmm. not really.. in a bd led offensive war, myanmar will be a vietnam for bengali army, they will simply be swallowed up in a foreign terrain... although myanmar army is famously poorly trained/fed, this issue will unify the country like never before(it has aleady done).
I doubt any third country will get involved, neither India nor china.. however myanmar has been trying to diversify (and reduce over reliance on chinese), they will simply reverse the trend and go back to chinese. China wont intervene but will definitely give material support.
India will sit on fence as usual. Govt behaves differently from noisy political supporters, and India needs to balance its interest in bd and myanmar(both are quite important).

BD army may only swallow northern Arakhan where nearly all Rohingya live.

This buildup argument is self-defeating.
Yes Myanmar has better airforce but it is too small and unsophisticated to cause more than pin-pricks to BD. BD also has FM-90 SAM in numbers to defend key assets.
As an idea of how badly trained Myanmar army is , they have 2 billion dollar US defence budget for 400,00 soldiers while BD has 3.2 billion dollar defence budget for 160,000 soldiers.
is Bangladesh Army size declining very fast ?

Only west bengalis can play dada role not some kalar tamil monkey.

Yes because a purely West Bengali army liberated BD in first place haha.

BTW I'm so glad what Bangladeshis are treated like in Singapore....especially the nicknames for you lot (that you should know by now haha)....given what 99% of you do as job there.

Why would bd wants to go to war against mm. Its already on fire. Let it burn and bleed little more. ARSA will take care the rest.
I was replying to people who were saying enough is enough lets go to war. BD mil has defensive mindset, most officers are fat cats who would rather go on UN peacekeeping mission.. there is no fire in bd mil belly.
They can certainly defend bd but attacking is different.

I was replying to people who were saying enough is enough lets go to war. BD mil has defensive mindset, most officers are fat cats who would rather go on UN peacekeeping mission.. there is no fire in bd mil belly.

This is actually probably true. Bengalis be lazy.

What you are saying is true but things changed after the standoff against Myanmar in 2008. Earlier we were dependent on the defensive guerrilla tactics used in 1971 but now Army is preparing or may be already prepared a defence doctrine along with compatible tactics and strategies. The ARTDOC just started its operations in 2009. You would see now the military has been conducting some exercises which are mainly designed for offensives.

What you are saying is true but things changed after the standoff against Myanmar in 2008. Earlier we were dependent on the defensive guerrilla tactics used in 1971 but now Army is preparing or may be already prepared a defence doctrine along with compatible tactics and strategies. The ARTDOC just started its operations in 2009. You would see now the military has been conducting some exercises which are mainly designed for offensives.
bd govt and military (unlike bd fanoys who have already bought f22 for their airforce) do not consider rohingya issue worth conducting military operation for...
to compare motivation, bd is going to fight for human rights of foreign citizens whereas myanmar will fight for threat to their country, they will throw everything they got, and it will probably ruin bd. And china is going to be on myanmar side... no foreign govt will give material support to bd army for offensive military operation.

bd govt and military (unlike bd fanoys who have already bought f22 for their airforce) do not consider rohingya issue worth conducting military operation for...
to compare motivation, bd is going to fight for human rights of foreign citizens whereas myanmar will fight for threat to their country, they will throw everything they got, and it will probably ruin bd. And china is going to be on myanmar side... no foreign govt will give material support to bd army for offensive military operation.

What on earth are you talking about dude?

Arakan is a tiny part of Myanmar(5% of total land area) that borders BD, and northern Arakan much less than that.
Please stop talking about BD military as they have not made any such comment on the issue. We know the current BD government is weak and made up of a bunch of idiots but do not project that onto BD military.

Myanmar can throw everything they have into trying to defend Arakan but consider the advantages that BD has:

1. Much better army
2. Much better navy

In the jungles and mountains of Arakan it will be the armies that will decide things. Myanmar can try whatever they like but their infantry will get slaughtered by the professional BD one. You yourself have admitted that Myanmar army are rag-tag and so BD army will welcome the opportunity to slaughter many thousands and thousands of their soldiers.

Arakan is separated from the rest of Myanmar by the Arakan mountains and so a war naturally favours BD geographically.

As long as BD sticks to a short, sharp war, maybe limited to northern Arakan, then it will win quickly and decisively.

Last edited:

I'm not saying we are already capable of conducting successful offensives deep inside a foreign territory, but I guess we are heading towards achieving that capability in near future.

The reason why the military and government is showing restrain is mainly the existing geopolitics. The Chinese have recently poured major investments in the Rakhine province - a deep sea port, gas pipelines etc. So they wouldn't want any sort of instability in the region. Even Myanmar doesn't want to escalate situation for the very same reason as the Chinese wouldn't allow them to do so which could severely hurt the OBOR plans in the region. Possibility of a war is out of question.

I'm not saying we are already capable of conducting successful offensives deep inside a foreign territory, but I guess we are heading towards achieving that capability in near future.

The reason why the military and government is showing restrain is mainly the existing geopolitics. The Chinese have recently poured major investments in the Rakhine province - a deep sea port, gas pipelines etc. So they wouldn't want any sort of instability in the region. Even Myanmar doesn't want to escalate situation for the very same reason as the Chinese wouldn't allow them to do so which could severely hurt the OBOR plans in the region. Possibility of a war is out of question.
i have no reason to disagree with you... geopolitics wins... bd govt's plan is to contain the fallout and pressure the neighbours and west... they already forced India to backtrack from their security focused stand via foreign min.
What on earth are you talking about dude?

Arakan is a tiny part of Myanmar(5% of total land area) that borders BD, and northern Arakan much less than that.
Please stop talking about BD military as they have not made any such comment on the issue. We know the current BD government is weak and made up of a bunch of idiots but do not project that onto BD military.

Myanmar can throw everything they have into trying to defend Arakan but consider the advantages that BD has:

1. Much better army
2. Much better navy

In the jungles and mountains of Arakan it will be the armies that will decide things. Myanmar can try whatever they like but their infantry will get slaughtered by the professional BD one. You yourself have admitted that Myanmar army are rag-tag and so BD army will welcome the opportunity to slaughter many thousands and thousands of their soldiers.

Arakan is separated from the rest of Myanmar by the Arakan mountains and so a war naturally favours BD geographically.

As long as BD sticks to a short, sharp war, maybe limited to northern Arakan, then it will win quickly and decisively.
bd mil has low motivation/reason to fight an offensive war.. and the ragtag myanmar army will trump in their land inspite of hostile locals.
global firepower ranks myanmar at 31 and bd at 57, inspite of taking bigger manpower of bd into consideration... anyway have you actually met any bd mil officer? you will be less enthusiastic after you meet a few and compare them with pak/ind officers... lol
@bd posters who live in bd: anybody wants to contradict me?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom