What's new

Coronavirus: Turkey rejects Chinese testing kits over inaccurate results

BL33D

Reaction score
Country
India
sultanahmet_corona_afp.jpg

The Turkish government has cast aside a sample of Chinese-made coronavirus rapid testing kits after finding out that they gave inaccurate results, a Turkish official confirmed to Middle East Eye on Friday.

"We have received some samples from the company," the official said. "We didn’t find them viable and ordered some other testing kit models from a separate Chinese company."

The official did not say how many kits were concerned, while noting that they hadn't yet been used with the wider public.

The news comes as Spain revealed on Thursday that it had withdrawn 9,000 Chinese-made kits after realising that they had only 30 percent accuracy. A Czech media outlet also reported that up to 80 percent of the 150,000 portable quick tests that China delivered to the republic earlier this month were faulty.

Spanish officials told the media that the testing kits were also manufactured by the same company that had supplied the Turkish government.

"I cannot confirm whether the ones we received are the same as the ones in Spain," the Turkish official added.

Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca confirmed later on Friday that Turkey had tried some rapid antigen tests arrived from China, but authorities "weren't happy about them."

"We didn't release them for public use," he said in a televised presser.

Koca also said that Turkey had received a different and viable testing kits that are based on antibodies from China. "We have 350,000 of them now," he said.

A member of the Turkish health ministry special science board on coronavirus said that the batch of testing kits were only 30 to 35 percent accurate.

"We have tried them. They don't work. Spain has made a huge mistake by using them," Professor Ates Kara said on CNNTurk.

Kara said Turkey was among three countries able to produce their own real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests that can give results in six hours.

Coronavirus toll rises
Also on Friday, Turkey announced 16 new deaths from the disease, bringing the total number to 92. Koca said the total number of confirmed infections had reached 5,698, after 7,533 tests were conducted earlier in the day.

He also said that the special science board advised Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to further increase the measures in the country by putting cities in isolation as number of patients in the country has increased 50 percent in a single day.

Meanwhile, around 1,500 foreigners - mainly from Algeria - were taken to a dormitory in northern Turkey after being stranded at Istanbul airport due to the pandemic.

Istanbul Airport operator IGA said on Tuesday that the government had tried to persuade the Algerian government to grant landing rights for the affected flights. Algeria has suspended the flights since 19 March.

Since the virus reached Turkey, the government has unleashed an array of measures aimed at curbing its spread, including closing down schools, universities, cafes, congressional prayers, indefinitely postponing sporting events and suspending flights to many countries.

The Interior Ministry also announced that grocery store and supermarket hours would be limited to between 9am and 9pm, with a maximum of one customer for every 10 square metres of shop space.

Turkish authorities have ordered those aged 65 and above and those with chronic illnesses to stay at home, while most public spaces have been temporarily closed.

Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said on Friday that intercity bus travel would be restricted beginning on midnight as parks, forests and shores would be closed in the weekends to minimise the contagion.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/coronavirus-turkey-faulty-chinese-kits-not-use

sultanahmet_corona_afp.jpg

The Turkish government has cast aside a sample of Chinese-made coronavirus rapid testing kits after finding out that they gave inaccurate results, a Turkish official confirmed to Middle East Eye on Friday.

"We have received some samples from the company," the official said. "We didn’t find them viable and ordered some other testing kit models from a separate Chinese company."

The official did not say how many kits were concerned, while noting that they hadn't yet been used with the wider public.

The news comes as Spain revealed on Thursday that it had withdrawn 9,000 Chinese-made kits after realising that they had only 30 percent accuracy. A Czech media outlet also reported that up to 80 percent of the 150,000 portable quick tests that China delivered to the republic earlier this month were faulty.

Spanish officials told the media that the testing kits were also manufactured by the same company that had supplied the Turkish government.

"I cannot confirm whether the ones we received are the same as the ones in Spain," the Turkish official added.

Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca confirmed later on Friday that Turkey had tried some rapid antigen tests arrived from China, but authorities "weren't happy about them."

"We didn't release them for public use," he said in a televised presser.

Koca also said that Turkey had received a different and viable testing kits that are based on antibodies from China. "We have 350,000 of them now," he said.

A member of the Turkish health ministry special science board on coronavirus said that the batch of testing kits were only 30 to 35 percent accurate.

"We have tried them. They don't work. Spain has made a huge mistake by using them," Professor Ates Kara said on CNNTurk.

Kara said Turkey was among three countries able to produce their own real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests that can give results in six hours.

Coronavirus toll rises
Also on Friday, Turkey announced 16 new deaths from the disease, bringing the total number to 92. Koca said the total number of confirmed infections had reached 5,698, after 7,533 tests were conducted earlier in the day.

He also said that the special science board advised Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to further increase the measures in the country by putting cities in isolation as number of patients in the country has increased 50 percent in a single day.

Meanwhile, around 1,500 foreigners - mainly from Algeria - were taken to a dormitory in northern Turkey after being stranded at Istanbul airport due to the pandemic.

Istanbul Airport operator IGA said on Tuesday that the government had tried to persuade the Algerian government to grant landing rights for the affected flights. Algeria has suspended the flights since 19 March.

Since the virus reached Turkey, the government has unleashed an array of measures aimed at curbing its spread, including closing down schools, universities, cafes, congressional prayers, indefinitely postponing sporting events and suspending flights to many countries.

The Interior Ministry also announced that grocery store and supermarket hours would be limited to between 9am and 9pm, with a maximum of one customer for every 10 square metres of shop space.

Turkish authorities have ordered those aged 65 and above and those with chronic illnesses to stay at home, while most public spaces have been temporarily closed.

Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said on Friday that intercity bus travel would be restricted beginning on midnight as parks, forests and shores would be closed in the weekends to minimise the contagion.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/coronavirus-turkey-faulty-chinese-kits-not-use
No no no,this cant be true.

Fake news!:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

Note - Less credible source but valid points.

Aid or Fraud - Countries debate China's Coronavirus humanitarian gesture

The Chinese Communist Party regime headed by President Xi Jinping, which drew flak for its cover up of the coronavirus outbreak, is now being called out for sending and selling faulty medical equipment as "humanitarian aid" to several countries around the world.

'Secret purchase of medical equipments'
Many governments in the last week have complained that China had secretly purchased massive quantities of medical equipment from Europe and is now re-selling the same to European countries as assistance.

A researcher, Filip Jirous at Sinopsis, a project implemented by AcaMedia, in collaboration with the Department of Sinology at Charles University in Prague, revealed that last week the Czech authorities confiscated a shipment of medical supplies from a warehouse because a Czech reseller had tried to sell it to the Czech government for an excessive price in the coronavirus pandemic crisis.

The boxes at the warehouse were labelled as Chinese Red Cross humanitarian aid to Italy. The contents included 680,000 face masks, 28,000 respirators and around 100,000 masks.

During the investigation, the police found that the storage unit belonged to an influential Chinese in Prague, Zhou Lingjian.

Massive buying of masks in Feb
Jirous said Zhou who co-owns the company CTE CARGO Sped linked to CTE International which sold 580,000 masks to the Czech "shell" company, is in charge of the Czech Qingtian Hometown Association, and runs the most prominent Chinese diaspora media Prague Chinese Times.

"His group has been at the forefront of a collection for Qingtian back in February, buying up 780,000 face masks and 30,000 respirators from Czech drug stores. This created suspicion that the material is actually from the local Chinese collection', the researcher said.

The researcher tweeted that this incident leaves much doubt about the "aid" that is now coming from China to Europe. Especially since much of what is labelled as "aid" is either sales or directed at the overseas Chinese.

Marion Smith, who runs a think-tank in Washington DC tweeted that the "Czech counter espionage agency had reported during January and February that Chinese embassy in Prague organised Chinese interests in the country to purchase massive quantities of Czech medical materials which were immediately sent to China."

'Faulty coronavirus test kits'
"It is now discovered that China's humanitarian medical supplies to Czech Republic this month are faulty. 80 per cent of the coronavirus test kits provide false results, mostly false negatives. This deadly aid is a huge element of CCP statecraft right now," he said.

Not just Czech Republic, but Turkey has also said that the Chinese test kits are substandard and have a 65 to 70 per cent failure rate. Spain has also complained that 80 per cent of medical supplies from China were faulty.

According to China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it is providing "assistance" to 82 countries, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the African Union.

Among the countries China has sent supplies to are Italy, France, Greece, Serbia, Spain, Pakistan, Laos, Thailand, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Cambodia, the Philippines, Egypt, South Africa, Iraq, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Cuba and Chile.

https://www.ummid.com/news/2020/march/28.03.2020/china-coronavirus-aid-fraud.html

No no no,this cant be true.

Fake news!:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:
The Chinese embassy in Spain released a statement on Thursday morning saying that the company from which the products had been purchased, Shenzhen Bioeasy Biotechnology, is yet to receive a license from the Chinese National Administration for Medical Products for the sale of its products. “The Chinese trade Ministry offered Spain a list of classified suppliers,” the statement said. “Shenzhen Bioeasy Biotechnology was not included.” :haha::haha::haha:

A bad apple company is sourced by buyers from Spain, Czech and Turkey (most likely due to price) makes China as a whole guilty? That's like you blaming America if you got a defective product from an American company. Hello? :laugh:

why dont you read the stuff you post ?
Second paragraph.

I had read it but confused the interpretation. My bad. They had to order from another Chinese company just because there werent much options. These test kits should have better accuracy. Quality in such an important medical equipment should be maintained.

Lmao, you don't read the stuff you post. What a half *** attempt to spread propaganda.
Turkey has already ordered 300,000 kits from a Chinese company after receiving and using 50,000.
So the report is lying that the kits were faulty ??

I had read it but confused the interpretation. My bad. They had to order from another Chinese company just because there werent much options. These test kits should have better accuracy. Quality in such an important medical equipment should be maintained.

So the report is lying that the kits were faulty ??

What? Where did I say it's lying. It probably isn't. But I know what you intended to propagate; that the Chinese are setting up a trap and spreading it on purpose.

Stop. Okay? Just stop. So far, the studies only show that it is naturally evolved instead of bio engineered.

The Chinese embassy in Spain released a statement on Thursday morning saying that the company from which the products had been purchased, Shenzhen Bioeasy Biotechnology, is yet to receive a license from the Chinese National Administration for Medical Products for the sale of its products. “The Chinese trade Ministry offered Spain a list of classified suppliers,” the statement said. “Shenzhen Bioeasy Biotechnology was not included.” :haha::haha::haha:

A bad apple company is sourced by buyers from Spain, Czech and Turkey (most likely due to price) makes China as a whole guilty? That's like you blaming America if you got a defective product from an American company. Hello? :laugh:
Dude,no matter what you try,the whole world knows you,nobody believes your bs.
This is not a game,peoples lives are at stake,your country fvcked up again,having a propaganda machine and a troll army wont help you anymore.
You cant buy everybody and remember,old money always wins(i dont think you'll understand this sentence).
Btw,show your real flags(man up).

Dude,no matter what you try,the whole world knows you,nobody believes your bs.
My "bs"? You're mistaken. I seek facts. When I smell a rat, I confront it. Simple.
This is not a game,peoples lives are at stake,your country fvcked up again,having a propaganda machine and a troll army wont help you anymore.
a) It's not my country, b) I don't have a "propaganda machine", and c) I'm not part of any "troll army". I'm just a nobody online. :-)
You cant buy everybody and remember,old money always wins(i dont think you'll understand this sentence).
Btw,show your real flags(man up).
You've lost me there, and, no, these are indeed my flags. :-)

Back
Top Bottom