What's new

Continuous atrocity and killing of Kahmiris – Boycott Commonwealth game in Delhi

Fraser calls for Games boycott

Dawn Fraser: Australia must consider Commonwealth Games boycott

The former Australia swimmer Dawn Fraser has called for her country to boycott the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, citing fears of a tragedy similar to that which unfolded at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich.

Fraser, a triple Olympic 100m freestyle champion who won medals at the 1956 and 1960 Games, fears security at this year's event – which starts in October – may not prevent the kind of massacre which left 11 Israeli athletes, coaches and officials dead at the hands of Palestinian terrorists in Munich 38 years ago.

She told the Courier Mail: "The Indians are telling us that security will be right. But they have also been telling us for months that their stadiums are ready to go too and quite obviously they're not. I would hate to see another Munich but, with things getting worse and worse, I have grave concerns. I know the Australian Commonwealth Games Association is doing everything it can with security but what's at the other end of the tunnel?"

In the past few weeks, organising committee officials have come under scrutiny from the Indian parliament due to reports of missed construction deadlines and alleged financial corruption, bringing the Games into disrepute.

Fraser is adamant the Indian authorities' word cannot be taken at face value alone any more. "They can't get a hockey venue right yet they're still expecting everyone to trust them and turn up when they say it's all going to be OK," she added. "I know Australia has never boycotted a Commonwealth or Olympic Games but we're simply being told too many lies. There are now too many question marks for our officials not to consider it."

The ACGA chief executive, Perry Crosswhite, said Delhi's problems are exaggerated. Crosswhite – who is in India with the Commonwealth Games Federation president, Mike Fennell – said: "If security is not at the highest acceptable levels Australia won't be going. To suggest otherwise is to accuse us of being irresponsible – and we're not.

"But I think it's time someone provided a balanced view, gave us a fair go and gave the Indians a fair go. I don't think Dawn's been to Delhi recently and I don't think she has the information we have. If she did I don't think she would have made the comments she did. We believe at this stage it will be safe and it will be secure. My personal view is that the Commonwealth Games is not going to be a target."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/19/australia-commonwealth-games-boycott-fraser

Last edited:
Fraser calls for Games boycott

Dawn Fraser: Australia must consider Commonwealth Games boycott

The former Australia swimmer Dawn Fraser has called for her country to boycott the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, citing fears of a tragedy similar to that which unfolded at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich.

Fraser, a triple Olympic 100m freestyle champion who won medals at the 1956 and 1960 Games, fears security at this year's event – which starts in October – may not prevent the kind of massacre which left 11 Israeli athletes, coaches and officials dead at the hands of Palestinian terrorists in Munich 38 years ago.

She told the Courier Mail: "The Indians are telling us that security will be right. But they have also been telling us for months that their stadiums are ready to go too and quite obviously they're not. I would hate to see another Munich but, with things getting worse and worse, I have grave concerns. I know the Australian Commonwealth Games Association is doing everything it can with security but what's at the other end of the tunnel?"

In the past few weeks, organising committee officials have come under scrutiny from the Indian parliament due to reports of missed construction deadlines and alleged financial corruption, bringing the Games into disrepute.

Fraser is adamant the Indian authorities' word cannot be taken at face value alone any more. "They can't get a hockey venue right yet they're still expecting everyone to trust them and turn up when they say it's all going to be OK," she added. "I know Australia has never boycotted a Commonwealth or Olympic Games but we're simply being told too many lies. There are now too many question marks for our officials not to consider it."

The ACGA chief executive, Perry Crosswhite, said Delhi's problems are exaggerated. Crosswhite – who is in India with the Commonwealth Games Federation president, Mike Fennell – said: "If security is not at the highest acceptable levels Australia won't be going. To suggest otherwise is to accuse us of being irresponsible – and we're not.

"But I think it's time someone provided a balanced view, gave us a fair go and gave the Indians a fair go. I don't think Dawn's been to Delhi recently and I don't think she has the information we have. If she did I don't think she would have made the comments she did. We believe at this stage it will be safe and it will be secure. My personal view is that the Commonwealth Games is not going to be a target."

Dawn Fraser: Australia must consider Commonwealth Games boycott | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Read the last two paragraphs pls Idune.
Also this was one persons opinion. That doesn't have anything to do with Kashmir. At least read the whole thing before u post it. :hitwall:

i support idune's idea of boycotting CWG by BD.

Last checked there were nt much numbers in the medal tally in last 3 CWGs maybe 1 or 2 medals were there.

Why should they go if the tally remains soooooo empty..
They are welcome to participate in a "kerala games" or "Bihar games " instead so that they can have a chance of a medal, maybe a bronze or something.

Cheers

Now indian companies are doing self imposed boycott for their own reason

Commonwealth Games jolted by sponsor withdrawals

Reuters

By Amlan Chakraborty NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Two Indian state-run firms have withdrawn their sponsorship of the Delhi Commonwealth Games due to "negative publicity" of the event stemming from allegations of graft and mismanagement. On a bad day for organisers, Australian swimming great Dawn Fraser also advised her compatriots to consider boycotting the event as she feared the security situation in the country could turn the Games into "another Munich". The Games, through which India hopes to showcase its growing global clout, is relying on state-run firms for sponsorship as private companies have largely stayed away. However, country's biggest power producer, NTPC Ltd, has decided to scrap its 500 million rupees ($11 million) sponsorship deal and is seeking an audit of the 200 million rupees it has already paid. "Our board has decided not to go ahead with the sponsorship because of the negative publicity," NTPC Chairman and Managing Director R. S. Sharma told Reuters on Thursday. State-run transmission utility Power Grid Corp of India has also decided to back out of its 100 million rupees commitment to the Games, its Chairman S. K. Chaturvedi said. (For a slideshow: Delhi gets ready for Commonwealth, click http://in.reuters.com/news/pictures/slideshow"articleId=INRTR2GMA4) A spokesman for the Games organising committee was not immediately available for comment. Struggling to get the venues ready before athletes start arriving next month, the Oct. 3-14 Games is also facing serious corruption charges, which has led to the suspension of three senior officials, while the treasurer has quit following a contract row. NATIONAL PRESTIGE The event, the cost of which has risen more than 17.5 times over its initial estimates, lost its merchandising partner last week when the Indian company pulled out citing an inordinate delay in launching the products. A government anti-corruption agency has identified 16 Games projects where large-scale irregularities are suspected while the state audit agency questioned the process followed in engaging some of the consultants. With the event threatening to become a national embarrassment and tarnishing the image of the ruling Congress party, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has ordered probes into the corruption charges after a stock-taking meeting on Saturday. Congress Chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Thursday echoed Singh's views in her address to the party parliamentarians. "The success of the Games is that of our country -- not of any party or any individual...The prestige of the nation is involved," she said. "I trust that as soon as the Games is over, the government will look into the allegations of malpractice and spare no one found to be involved in them." Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) President Michael Fennell, however, rejected Fraser's security apprehensions, saying the former Australian swimmer was not informed enough to make such an observation. Fraser told Australia's Herald Sun newspaper she was apprehensive about Delhi's security arrangements and feared Delhi might see a repeat of the 1972 Munich Olympic attacks, when 11 Israeli team members were taken hostage and killed by Palestinian gunmen. "We have to respect her freedom of speech but I think she is not sufficiently informed to make such a statement," Fennell told reporters after wrapping up his two-day visit to inspect the venues. "In any international event, security has to be top class. Recently... we reviewed all the security aspects and the conclusion... was really heartening." Since the attack on the Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore, Pakistan last year, security of sporting events has become a piquant issue. (Additional reporting by Nidhi Verma; editing by Pritha Sarkar and Peter Rutherford; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com) (For more news visit Reuters India)

Why is there so much butt hurt with regards to the commonwealth games in India. If some of our "Muslim" posters remember in 2001 UK held the CWG and that year they also attacked Afghanistan... No Muslims nations boycotted the game then, why now?

Why is there so much butt hurt with regards to the commonwealth games in India. If some of our "Muslim" posters remember in 2001 UK held the CWG and that year they also attacked Afghanistan... No Muslims nations boycotted the game then, why now?

Leave it yaar.....you will un-necessarily become a RAW-AWAMY-DALAL-STOOGE (I forgot some other words ) if you try to say anything regarding that.

Chill and enjoy the show.:cheers:

Indian defense force continuously killing and repressing Kashmiris who are seeking independence from Indian occupation and atrocities. Commonwealth game supposes to promote peace and humanity but doing it in a capital from where atrocity and massacres are directed would be utter mockery of game message. It is only fitting to boycott Delhi that is responsible for such gruesome atrocities.

Note: indian members would pollute this thread any moment but please stay in course and discuss such an important and timely issue.

thanx for posting todays joke idune. .some members trying hard to create independent jokes section.

Back
Top Bottom