What's new

Comsats University terminates lecturer over asking 'objectionable question' in quiz

Good action by the authorities. This sort of a questionnaire has no place in any civilised society let alone a society of pious Muslims.

Regards
These types of questions are routinely asked and discussed in philosophy. I have even heard it on our National Public Radio (NPR) Philosophy Talk program by Stanford University Philosophy professors. In fact, you can listen to it too. For free. Basis of philosophy is to question everything and come to a logical basis for morality and ethics when possible. When that is not possible, accept that certain facts are axiomatic.

That's my point, sir. Like you said, maybe even Pakistani philosophy and psychology majors would have trouble answering this particular question. And I am sure this is not the only question that could have been posed (refer to @jhungary 's post above) but ol Randy here is trying to shame us for not being open-minded because he's been to a few nude beaches and it wasn't awkward for him.
رنڈی کے بچپن کے شوق لگتے ہیں

It's a good question for those who are OK with sodomy.

After all...they use the same argument to support homosexuality

Pakistan's public institutions are a breeding grounds for social filth, liberalism, degeneracy, Marxists, commies, feminism.

Only in Pakistan a poor country where you struggle getting access to the most basic facilities and rights, do women need to protest over such an irrelevant and idiotic thing:

View attachment 917208

If westerners told them to eat their shit, they would get on their knees and their shit. Inferiority complex in Pakis is real.
This is exactly right. The liberal secular brigade in Pakistan are merely apes of western liberals. Except that they are such a shitty mimicry of their western counterparts, they are totally cringe.

These so-called liberal intellectuals would be the lowest denominator in western society. Completely and utterly stupid.

If someone cannot understand why this would be a totally ridiculous question for a professor to ask in a Pakistani university, I can only conclude they live in the moon and not in Pakistan in actuality.

Also, this is a small reason why you cannot just copy the syllabus, especially, social science syllabus straight from western universities, with exception of technical fields and that too after removing the associated propaganda/ and or ideologies that are there even in hard sciences.

It's a good question for those who are OK with sodomy.

After all...they use the same argument to support homosexuality
Questioning doesn't mean agreeing. In fact, it is a starting point to come with good reasons for disagreeing. One may question why some people do not want to eat cows while some feel that way for dogs, horses, pigs or shellfish.

This is exactly right. The liberal secular brigade in Pakistan are merely apes of western liberals. Except that they are such a shitty mimicry of their western counterparts, they are totally cringe.

These so-called liberal intellectuals would be the lowest denominator in western society. Completely and utterly stupid.

If someone cannot understand why this would be a totally ridiculous question for a professor to ask in a Pakistani university, I can only conclude they live in the moon and not in Pakistan in actuality.

Also, this is a small reason why you cannot just copy the syllabus, especially, social science syllabus straight from western universities, with exception of technical fields and that too after removing the associated propaganda/ and or ideologies that are there even in hard sciences.
Pakistan has a huge fifth column serving foreign anti-state interests, yet it simply does nothing about them.

How do you help a country that doesn't want to help itself?

What's worse is this minority has infiltrated the power corridors alongside every other negative elements. Corruption amounting to 60% of tax money, extreme nepotism, it doesn't end.

Who is ready to salvage this country and start rebuilding?

I actually thought it was someone photoshopping the concerned content. But then again are we really going to act surprised by the most **** consuming population in the world? The sexual frustration in Pakistanis….can’t contain it

Pakistan has a huge fifth column serving foreign anti-state interests, yet it simply does nothing about them.

How do you help a country that doesn't want to help itself?

What's worse is this minority has infiltrated the power corridors alongside every other negative elements. Corruption amounting to 60% of tax money, extreme nepotism, it doesn't end.

Who is ready to salvage this country and start rebuilding?
Yeah and the so-called liberals who are supposed marxists are actually the very children of this rent seeking feudal and corrupt elite. The irony is stark.

For context, if this was posted in a western university, I would get it. That is because the moral norm is different there.

But posting this in Pakistan is the same as posting a question about pedophilia in the west. Or self assisted suicide.

The point of asking this question is premised on the foundational question of what is moral to start with. When you teach Kant and miller as foundational morality, then yes, maybe this is fair game. But again, Pakistani even natively, have a different premise of morality. The whole question is dumb as heck.

let alone a society of pious Muslims.
🤩😅😂😂🤣🤣

Pakistani society is anything but pious.

I bet we will hear this lecturer moving to a western country soon. Pakistanis also are great fraudsters not far behind Indians. There’s a reason why the world views us as degenerate

Unfortunately, those are dismissed as fringe cases where in reality it is very rampant.
Of course, they are dismissed as fringe cases. after all, our people love inhaling copium.

afkgaming%2F2021-08%2F79649079-d0e7-4acd-853b-6a2b92797da3%2Fcopium_png.png

Of course, they are dismissed as fringe cases. after all, our people love inhaling copium.

afkgaming%2F2021-08%2F79649079-d0e7-4acd-853b-6a2b92797da3%2Fcopium_png.png
There should be no doubt that the question is controversial and culturally insensitive especially when combining both the location and the educaTion major of the students - but it is not an objectionable question if put in the right context. Unfortunately, when it comes to the actions undertaken those are technically correct but at the same time probably belie a greater personal conflict the lecturer may have had with the administration.

The question isn’t the problem - what spurred its use in this scenario is

Actually this is a well known question, first posed by a Professor in the US many years ago, used to illustrate the concept of "moral dumbfounding" - but most people in India and Pakistan lack the critical faculty to appreciate it. I feel sorry for the COMSATS Prof. The poor guy was trying to teach a firang concept to his jaahil students but didn't realise the explosive blowback it would have.
Concepts can be taught in various different ways. U can't just simply take something from one culture...apply it to another and assume it would work just as well. Each culture has its own sensitivities. The person should have thought about the conservative society he is posing the question to...
...therefore that person should've posed a different scenario that would have the same concept but different(a more acceptable) scenario.

There should be no doubt that the question is controversial and culturally insensitive especially when combining both the location and the educaTion major of the students - but it is not an objectionable question if put in the right context. Unfortunately, when it comes to the actions undertaken those are technically correct but at the same time probably belie a greater personal conflict the lecturer may have had with the administration.

The question isn’t the problem - what spurred its use in this scenario is
I agree with this, from a critical thinking aspect and on topics about morality it makes a really good discussion. Maybe if this was related to a psychology paper or something it would be more suitable.

According to the LGBTQ line of reasoning, people should not discriminate against such acts.

The thing is Pakistani society is very sensitive at times and feels it's being covertly attacked, so such questions will definitely be seen as normalisation of incest by most. But I think there's no harm as long as the people are of age and it serves a purpose academically.

Yeah and the so-called liberals who are supposed marxists are actually the very children of this rent seeking feudal and corrupt elite. The irony is stark.

For context, if this was posted in a western university, I would get it. That is because the moral norm is different there.

But posting this in Pakistan is the same as posting a question about pedophilia in the west. Or self assisted suicide.

The point of asking this question is premised on the foundational question of what is moral to start with. When you teach Kant and miller as foundational morality, then yes, maybe this is fair game. But again, Pakistani even natively, have a different premise of morality. The whole question is dumb as heck.
Most Pakistanis really have no independent thought which goes into their ideology, they go with the one that sounds the coolest and edgiest, or with the one that satisfies their inferiority complex. It's really unlikely that a Pakistani has individually accepted an ideology when it severely misaligns with their sociocultural and historical background. It is clearly imported and most likely accepted simply because "that's what the goras view as superior".

And you're right, countless times those kids are sitting in Bahria Town or DHA talking about marxism and what not...

Last edited:
This is the definition of moral founding- “Moral dumbfounding occurs when people stubbornly maintain a moral judgement, even though they can provide no reason to support their judgements”.

Like I said, if you are teaching a western audience that believes in miller and Kant as foundational morality, then fine. Indeed Kant and Miller have no issue with the example above even though most people in the west will object to it.

The problem is that this example even academically makes no sense to the majority of Pakistanis with morality founded on Islam

The people on this forum talking like aflatoon and telling us that we don’t have the intellect to appreciate the example need to go and actually study philosophy. This issue of moral dumbfounding doesn’t exist or apply to the majority of Pakistanis in this context. They are ignorant themselves and, like I said, are cheaply aping western liberals without even understanding the basic context.

Back
Top Bottom