What's new

Comsats University terminates lecturer over asking 'objectionable question' in quiz

Yea, then I wonder why an Indian opened this thread. If you still have comprehension issues, just check OP's history, obsessed with rapes, child molestation, if any such dastardly incident happens in Pakistan, he is first to know about it.
I am not the OP's spokesperson, but, in general, the quality of education in India is not great either and based on rote learning with little emphasis on critical reasoning. However, there are an increasing number of universities which provide world-class education, at least at the undergraduate level and entrance to these is mostly based on merit and not money. So, things are at least moving in the right direction.

Save it. There's other question he could have posed.
How is it moral dumbfounding if fornication is considered okay by almost all and incest by a lot in a society like many in the west do.
While what he said is true on behavior analysis, I do think question about incest is a bit over the limit.

What he refers to is the moral dilemma scenario. Most of those are open question and was used for psychiatric assessment and law enforcement entrant exam.

One very famous question the FBI ask their potential applicant is the funeral question. And the question goes like this.

A pair of sisters attended their mother funeral, one of the sisters met a guy and fall in love, the funeral's over, and the guy left, the sister did not ask the guy number, a few days later the girl killed her sister. What is her motive?

The answer for this question is that sister think the man would attend another family member funeral, that's why she killed her sister. You will not get selected by the FBI if you answer anything other than this, because that is what true psychopath do.

But then incest.............I mean maybe in the south that would make sense...

Actually this is a well known question, first posed by a Professor in the US many years ago, used to illustrate the concept of "moral dumbfounding" - but most people in India and Pakistan lack the critical faculty to appreciate it. I feel sorry for the COMSATS Prof. The poor guy was trying to teach a firang concept to his jaahil students but didn't realise the explosive blowback it would have.
Doesn't jive with the zeitgeist.

Doesn't take a genius to work out that @Mujahid Memon wasn't the original OP. His post was moved to this thread to eliminate the poster aiming to glorify the incident.
Oh I see, since you appear paranoid mostly; not my fault to assume you see Indians everywhere!

Anyway, what's the answer to this "moral dumbfounding" problem? Would love to see the responses given by students

Actually this is a well known question, first posed by a Professor in the US many years ago, used to illustrate the concept of "moral dumbfounding" - but most people in India and Pakistan lack the critical faculty to appreciate it. I feel sorry for the COMSATS Prof. The poor guy was trying to teach a firang concept to his jaahil students but didn't realise the explosive blowback it would have.
Try to sit down in sober gathering with your clothes off and act normal.

Besides, Doesn’t look like Prof, also he was freakin Visiting Faculty 😂, sucker is brave enough for this stunt.
And this is BEE (electrical engineering?) course, one would nt expect this kinda shiit in technical school

Pakistan's public institutions are a breeding grounds for social filth, liberalism, degeneracy, Marxists, commies, feminism.

Only in Pakistan a poor country where you struggle getting access to the most basic facilities and rights, do women need to protest over such an irrelevant and idiotic thing:

Screenshot_20230117-024713_Chrome.jpg

If westerners told them to eat their shit, they would get on their knees and their shit. Inferiority complex in Pakis is real.

ISLAMABAD (Web Desk) – The Comsats University Islamabad (CUI) has terminated a lecturer who had allegedly asked an “objectionable” question in a quiz on the English composition of the Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (BEE) programme.

The CUI administration wrote to the Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST) on Feb 2 to apprise that it had initiated [an] inquiry into the content of the quiz. The letter stated that the administration had already taken action and the services of the lecturer (visiting faculty) had been teriminated from Jan 5, 2023. The faculty member, it further stated, had also been blacklisted.

Students were “shocked” when they came across the question asking them to write 300 words on the topic.

Additional Registrar Naveed Ahmed Khan said when the rector called the lecturer to explain over the matter, he admitted his mistake which culminated in his termination. “He had plagiarised the question from Google,” he added. The quiz, he said, was retaken.

A faculty member took a dig at the examination system questioning why the matter had only to be taken into consideration after the students raised the issue. He doubted that the lecturer had been sacked after the ministry took notice of the incident.

View attachment 917180

View attachment 917181
i think lecturer blongs to PMLN :lol:

India and Pakistan lack the critical faculty to appreciate
No, not really. Most Indians and Pakistanis and much of the world is very well aware of the relativist stance that is popular in the West. Dumbfounding etc might be applicable for those who hold utilitarian or relativist values and are forced to explain why despite their personal revulsion to incest, their is nothing rationally wrong about it if children aren't produced. It isn't really applicable for religious populations who believe in divine command morality and can easily say "it is wrong because God said so in such and such book, revealed by such and such prophet". There isn't any point in asking this question to those who don't hold relativist views or don't live in relativist countries with separation of religion and state and personal morality and state.

You can basically replace sister with "cousin sister" and it wouldn't even elicit any personal revulsion in many countries. They will easily answer "oh yeah nothing wrong with it", usually with "it isn't wrong because God said it isn't wrong in such and such book".

Posing such questions outside a specific context in a conservative quasi-theocracy is just blatant provocative, and he got punished for it, and there's nothing wrong with those with those who punished them. I guess kudos for the balls, but... he had it coming.

No, not really. Most Indians and Pakistanis and much of the world is very well aware of the relativist stance that is popular in the West. Dumbfounding etc might be applicable for those who hold utilitarian or relativist values and are forced to explain why despite their personal revulsion to incest, their is nothing rationally wrong about it if children aren't produced. It isn't really applicable for religious populations who believe in divine command morality and can easily say "it is wrong because God said so in such and such book, revealed by such and such prophet". There isn't any point in asking this question to those who don't hold relativist views or don't live in relativist countries with separation of religion and state and personal morality and state.

You can basically replace sister with "cousin sister" and it wouldn't even elicit any personal revulsion in many countries. They will easily answer "oh yeah nothing wrong with it", usually with "it isn't wrong because God said it isn't wrong in such and such book".

Posing such questions outside a specific context in a conservative quasi-theocracy is just blatant provocative, and he got punished for it, and there's nothing wrong with those with those who punished them. I guess kudos for the balls, but... he had it coming.

Wrong. Outside of marriage, it is haram.

A very large section of the Pakistani awaam idolises a womaniser, with a long history of fornication and rumoured bisexual proclivity, who has fathered a child outside marriage and refused to acknowledge her. Some are willing to lay down their lives for him. Which conservative quasi-theocracy are you talking about?

A very large section of the Pakistani awaam idolises a womaniser, with a long history of fornication and rumoured bisexual proclivity, who has fathered a child outside marriage and refused to acknowledge her. Some are willing to lay down their lives for him. Which conservative quasi-theocracy are you talking about?
I mean, despite the hypocrisy, they still do have a "rational" (in so far as being religious is rational) argument for why their conviction that the characters did something immoral is justified. The whole lesson Haidt had with this, of moral dumbfounding, straight up doesn't apply if the interlocutor accepts divine command morality or really has some other explanation for why incest is wrong in of itself. They don't have to be good people confirming to their morality, but just that they have an explanation undermines the point. No?

Try to sit down in sober gathering with your clothes off and act normal.
Actually I have been to a nude beach for the experience and didn't find it awkward at all.

And this is BEE (electrical engineering?) course, one would nt expect this kinda shiit in technical school
I guess whoever set the question over-estimated the students. Maybe he should have leaked the question and given the students an opportunity to mug up an answer.

I mean, despite the hypocrisy, they still do have a "rational" (in so far as being religious is rational) argument for why their conviction that the characters did something immoral is justified. The whole lesson Haidt had with this, of moral dumbfounding, straight up doesn't apply if the interlocutor accepts divine command morality or really has some other explanation for why incest is wrong in of itself. They don't have to be good people confirming to their morality, but just that they have an explanation undermines the point. No?
Much of the Muslim religious morality is derived or consistent with that from the Bible and the United States is a fairly religious country. Even if one goes along with stereotyping the moral code of entire nations, I don't understand why Pakistanis would have a more "rational" argument against incest than Americans would.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom