What's new

Complete Information on India's Almaz-Antey 40R6 / S-400 Triumf

5 to me is inadequate... Unless we order more.. At least 10-12 full fledged systems and some 12000 missiles is the only way of getting a credible airspace security against aircrafts and missiles

5 to me is inadequate... Unless we order more.. At least 10-12 full fledged systems and some 12000 missiles is the only way of getting a credible airspace security against aircrafts and missiles
How much the cost for 5 system ?

This is the detail i got

Russian structure
1 regiment = 4 battalions
1 battalion == 1 command post
1 Battalion = 16 launchers 64 missile ready to fire and equal number in reloads
4 Battalions = 64 launchers 256 missiles ready to fire and equal number in reloads - 512 missiles and 4 command post

Each S400 battalion has 1 Pantsir-S battalion
1 Pantsir-S battalion = 6 launchers
Each Pantsir-S launcher has 12 missiles RTF and 12 for reload
1 Pantsir Battalion = 72 RTF+ 72 Reloads = 144
1 regiment = 4 S400 Battalion = 4 Pantsir Battalion = 4*144=576 missiles

So 1 full S400 regiment has 512 + 576 = 1088 Missiles in total comprising of 544 RTF and 544 reloads

Based on Indian News of 5 Systems (read regiments)
So 5 full Regiments = 5440 missiles (RTF+ Reloads)
Spare missiles = 560 missiles

@Immanuel - You can help me out on this..

Post edited after information provided by Immanuel

Last edited:
This is the detail i got

Russian structure
1 Battalion = 8 launchers 32 missile ready to fire and equal number in reloads
4 Battalions = 32 launchers 128 missiles ready to fire and equal number in reloads - 256 missiles and 4 command post

So 1 full S400 regiment has 256 + 576 = 832 Missiles in total comprising of 416 RTF and 416 reloads

So 5 full Regiments = 4160 missiles (RTF+ Reloads)
Spare missiles = 1840 missiles

I doubt if they will reveal the exact numbers.

This is the detail i got

Russian structure
1 Battalion = 8 launchers 32 missile ready to fire and equal number in reloads
4 Battalions = 32 launchers 128 missiles ready to fire and equal number in reloads - 256 missiles and 4 command post

So 1 full S400 regiment has 256 + 576 = 832 Missiles in total comprising of 416 RTF and 416 reloads

So 5 full Regiments = 4160 missiles (RTF+ Reloads)
Spare missiles = 1840 missiles

You are pretty much spot on, the final number of missiles depends entirely on which missiles are being paired together. S-400 is a very unique solution as it allows for us to customize our fire units plenty. The way Gadeshi puts it, a full scale regiment today can be as big as 4 battalions, each with 4 fire units of 4 launchers each I.e 16 launchers per battalion or 64 launchers per regiment. This is the configuration we should be going for.

As said earlier this week before these folks confirmed it in the media, 5 regiments will be acquired in stage 1 directly from Russia while another 7 regiments or so later on under 'Make in India', this will only start happening around 2021. First fire unit will be in bound end of 2017.

You are pretty much spot on, the final number of missiles depends entirely on which missiles are being paired together. S-400 is a very unique solution as it allows for us to customize our fire units plenty. The way Gadeshi puts it, a full scale regiment today can be as big as 4 battalions, each with 4 fire units of 4 launchers each I.e 16 launchers per battalion or 64 launchers per regiment. This is the configuration we should be going for.

As said earlier this week before these folks confirmed it in the media, 5 regiments will be acquired in stage 1 directly from Russia while another 7 regiments or so later on under 'Make in India', this will only start happening around 2021. First fire unit will be in bound end of 2017.

Thats an excellent news. The MII component later adds a different flavor to the deal. Perhaps by then we can try and get hands on S-500 system and its HTK missiles the 77 series with 7km/sec speed...

Interestingly, will we get 40N6. If i remember correctly, Yusuf did say China may not have got the LR 40N6. So what about us.. Bcz technically is it 400 km cover for us or 250 km?

...starting at the very dawn of Radio\Radar tech, electo-countermeasures, airspace defence, decades and decades of RnDs.. but forget all the pics in the thread of dozens and dozens of devices/antenas/whatever ... "1 turkish 'coral' beats them all "... :partay::partay::partay:

Thats an excellent news. The MII component later adds a different flavor to the deal. Perhaps by then we can try and get hands on S-500 system and its HTK missiles the 77 series with 7km/sec speed...

Interestingly, will we get 40N6. If i remember correctly, Yusuf did say China may not have got the LR 40N6. So what about us.. Bcz technically is it 400 km cover for us or 250 km?

Yes, we'll get a mix of the 40N6/ 48H6E3/ 9M96E2 and possibly the 77 series. The way I see it, a regiment with a mix of such missiles can quite clearly make up many layers of security. With 1 regiment commanding 4 battalions with 4 fire units each, we can deploy each battalion quite far away from the command center I.e. up to 100 km away and fire units too can have some separation.

With a mix we can have such a configuration for a 4 launcher fire unit:
1st Launcher: 4*LR missiles 40N6 = 4 missiles
2nd Launcher: 4*LR missiles 48H6E3 = 4 missiles
3rd Launcher: 4*LR Missiles 77N = 4 Missiles
4th Launcher: 16*MR Missiles 9M96E2 = 16 missiles

1 Fire unit - 4 Launchers = 28 Missiles RTF + another 28 at least as reloads (ideal mix) i.e. 56 missiles per fire unit, this way a Fire unit is quite independent in the kind of targets it can address and brings flexibility to the game.
1 Battalion - 4 Fire units = 56 * 4 = 224 Missiles (112 RTF + reloads)
1 Regiment - 4 battalions = 224*4 = 896 Missiles ( 448 RTF + reloads)

5 initial Regiments : 5*896 = 4480 missiles (2240 RTF + reloads)

Coming to Pantsir, small correction, a full s-400 regiment deploys 6 Pantsir launchers for protection, they are usually placed far away enough in stand alone moderto intercept threats coming in from vulnerable spots. so we have 6*12 missiles = 72 missiles RTF + 2*72 reloads= 216 missiles, 2 * 5 regiments: 1080 missiles

The order book for 5 full regiments therefore looks like 4480 + 1080 missiles: roughly 5560. closer to 6000 when we count additional rounds of LR missiles.
That is a truly significant number for an initial order. With clever placement, Entire Western, Northern and Eastern front can be covered. Keeping in mind the next years will also see deployment of the MR-SAM, additional units of Akash. With the S-400 being a highly mobile system, a fire unit can move out of hardened shelters near threat zones, deploy their fangs in a matter of couple of minutes and fire and scoot.

In the near future the orders will evolve but I wouldn't be surprised if 'Make in India' for the S-400 evolves into S-500 as the timelines would be ripe for such a move with some sort of co-development. But that still needs to be seen.

We are only getting 5 at a higher cost, probably due to that LN 06 missile..

We are only getting 5 at a higher cost, probably due to that LN 06 missile..

Higher cost because we are getting full scale regiments i.e. 2 regimental sets of 2 battalions each, china got it cheaper as they went for 3 medium scale regiments i.e 1 regimental set per regiment.

Medium Regiment: 1 Regimental set of 2 battallions, each with 4 fire units each or 32 launchers per regiment

Full scale regiment: double the strength, 4 battalions each with 4 fire units or 64 launchers

The defence ministry’s top acquisition council on Thursday cleared the purchase of Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems for an estimated Rs 40,000 crore days ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Russia.

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by defence minister Manohar Parrikar, has decided to buy five units of the S-400 Triumf air defence missile system, capable of destroying incoming hostile aircraft, missiles, and even drones, within a range of up to 400 km. The DAC also gave the go-ahead to other projects worth over Rs 25,000 crore.

Sources said the step has been taken to enhance national air defence. “The price discovery will happen hereafter,” a source said when, asked how much the system would cost.

Industry estimates have suggested that the missile system will cost about Rs 40,000 crore. India will be the second buyer of the missile system, after China, if the deal goes through. It is expected to be a government-to-government deal and there may be forward movement during Mr Modi’s visit to Russia next week.

The S400 Triumf is designed to bring down flying targets, including those equipped with stealth technologies, at a distance of about 400 km. It is also capable of taking out ballistic missiles and hypersonic targets.

Compared to its predecessor, the S-300, the new S-400 has a 2.5 times faster firing rate and is the most modern air defence system in the Russian arsenal. The DAC gave the “acceptance of necessity” to the Army’s proposal for the purchase of six regiments of the Pinaka rocket system under the “Make in India” category for Rs 14,600 crore.

Source: India finalises 10 billion dollars missile deal with Russia

Pakistan has brought a bunch of MAR-1 anti radiation missile from Brazil and how they can utilized it against S-400.
The range of the missile is Approx 100KM. So any unfriendly aircraft within 250 KM would be detected and shot down.
Does this missile become useless incase of WAR.

Please discuss and understand the impact on PAF, it will definitely give an edge to IAF.

...but when buying the S-400 complexes, don't forget to buy things to defence them, as they need additional protection from skies as well , i.e Tors, Pantsirs, kubs, tunguskas, osa ... so on :partay:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom