What's new

Coloured up: Muslims and Christians join Holi celebrations

News like this always makes me feel warm inside.

First time, just last Thursday, I hadn't planned on it, I actually went to the library to get on with some work, finished early, when I came outside, in the square in front of the library was a crowd of people taking part, all soaked in colour, I got caught up in it too, it was a lot of fun.

Have I surrendered my faith then? To mix complex issues in to such black and white judgements isn't for me personally.

Take yoga for example, I've recently added it to my fitness regime, the health benefits of this workout are clear, now...
Am I imitating some religious aspect of yoga? Or am I taking part in what is quite simply a beneficial exercise with otherwise neutral to no references to religion, purely for the health benefit.

they have holi in UK? Or was it just the Indian kids throwing color at each other? What do local students think of it?

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 3512; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This at the very least indicates that it is haraam to imitate them, although the apparent meaning is that the one who imitates them is a kaafir. Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem, 1/237.

Ibn Taymiyyah, in his beautiful and monumental book Iqtidaa’ as-Siraat al-Mustaqeem Mukhaalafatu Ashaab’il-Jaheem (In Pursuit of the Straight Path by Contradicting the People of the Hellfire), said:

“Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to mislead the weak.”
Compiler error "Array out of bounds and scope".

Would love to see Hindus celebrating and congratulating Muslims on Eid-ul-Azha and helping them in sacrificing animals of teir choice.

Nice thread :tup: A welcome break.
Happy Holi to everyone. Irrespective of everything :P

they have holi in UK? Or was it just the Indian kids throwing color at each other? What do local students think of it?

Yes, plenty of it in London, though outside of areas like Southall, I've not seen it organized like this.

This was at my uni campus by the way. Most of the people taking part were White British. Since they are the majority in the area. Everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun, even if they don't understand the religious part of it, it was just a bit of fun out in the sun on a Thursday.
There was a significant South Asian turn up though, I don't think I've seen that many desi folk on campus in one area ever. :P

There are no ifs and buts in religion.

When you surrender yourself to ALLAH, you do so completely and unconditionally.

Addition of practices based on ones personal like/dislike, opinion, fashion, trend are all "BidAat"

News like this always makes me feel warm inside.

Have I surrendered my faith then? To mix complex issues in to such black and white judgements isn't for me personally.

Take yoga for example, I've recently added it to my fitness regime, the health benefits of this workout are clear, now...
Am I imitating some religious aspect of yoga? Or am I taking part in what is quite simply a beneficial exercise with otherwise neutral to no references to religion, purely for the health benefit.

Addition of practices based on ones personal like/dislike, opinion, fashion, trend are all "BidAat"

Aye, that's true.
But blind faith with no understanding is as misguided as disbelief. Take our Holy book for example, or any source of wisdom.
Or a verbal lesson to a kid, If I throw a man with the mathematical ability of a 12 year old in a calculus class, he will not make use of it at all. If I give a child a book to read on Quantum physics, you ask him and he will tell you he read and nowhere does he have any 'ifs or buts'. Similarly, our book is a source of wisdom for all of humanity, you could spend your life trying but you will never understand all it has to offer.

You need to know, that although you'd like to believe that all is black and white, unless you have the answers to everything regarding religion and life, there are no grey areas. Then let me know, next time I have any issues, I will come to your personally.

For mortals like us, using our understanding and making a judgement call is not a bad thing to do at all.
However, the red lines and clear calls for us are not to be argued that's fair.

So... like I said... Blind faith with no understanding is as misguided as disbelief.

Let me warn you now, lest it you waste anymore time.

@Zaryanshah Once again you missed the point.

The yoga workout that I do, has NO mention of religion, no mention of faith, no mention of it's origins, no mentions of words belonging to different cultures or faiths.

ALL it is, is a series of stretches, poses, meditation, bodily workouts, with a name called 'yoga'.
Take the name away and all the fears of it being un-Islamic go, as far as what actually goes on, nothing there conflicts with my faith at all.

Let me tell you a little story. back a while ago, I was in London, doing my grocery shopping, I went to halal meat store and I was waiting for my order, there were a few men, shop workers and others standing around too. One of them was talking about Birthdays, and how it's wrong to celebrate them. How he considers it haraam, says it's a waste of time. A western invention.
Usually I let this sort of thing pass, I usually ignore and carry on. But this guy wouldn't stop, so I told him, I said that I saw nothing wrong in celebrating the birthday of a loved one for whatever sentimental reason, if not for the smile and happiness of the person who's birthday is being celebrated, what other reason?? I also told him that he lives here in a multi-faith and multi-cultural society and he'd better grow some thick skin. But then he started talking religion, claiming that it was a waste of time and wrong, and that Islam doesn't teach such things. Now this is when we asked him what about the Prophet (PBUH's) birthday, we celebrate it right? We love him. Though we don't call it a birthday, we call it Eid Milad un Nabi.
Then I left, and so did the other guy, I saw him leaving, and this wonderful pious Muslim lecturing others in all his eternal wisdom had his car parked in the disabled parking area. Moral of the story, religion can be down to interpretation, one's faith must be strong, this man was right in saying the partying culture with Birthdays is haraam, but that doesn't mean all similar celebrations are wrong.

Now, I read through the guidance you posted, but it is all written under the pretext that the type of yoga done is in line with the traditional sense with it's religious and cultural aspects. If you don't want to do yoga or denounce it in that form then fair enough, that's your personal choice. I see nothing wrong in it.

No scholar has ever said that birthdays are halal.

And the rules of Allah SWT apply everywhere. In the sky, in Antarctica, in outer space and yes they are superior to the laws of multicultural Britain.

Masha allah. This is exactly what I am saying.

Aye, that's true.
But blind faith with no understanding is as misguided as disbelief. Take our Holy book for example, or any source of wisdom.
Or a verbal lesson to a kid, If I throw a man with the mathematical ability of a 12 year old in a calculus class, he will not make use of it at all. If I give a child a book to read on Quantum physics, you ask him and he will tell you he read and nowhere does he have any 'ifs or buts'. Similarly, our book is a source of wisdom for all of humanity, you could spend your life trying but you will never understand all it has to offer.

You need to know, that although you'd like to believe that all is black and white, unless you have the answers to everything regarding religion and life, there are no grey areas. Then let me know, next time I have any issues, I will come to your personally.

For mortals like us, using our understanding and making a judgement call is not a bad thing to do at all.
However, the red lines and clear calls for us are not to be argued that's fair.

So... like I said... Blind faith with no understanding is as misguided as disbelief.

Let me warn you now, lest it you waste anymore time.

This is not true.

Hazrat Ali (ra) said that if Islam was based on reason then we would wipe under our feet and not over. This hadeeth is in Sunan Abu Dawud.

Would love to see Hindus celebrating and congratulating Muslims on Eid-ul-Azha and helping them in sacrificing animals of teir choice.

Many Hindus celebrate Eid with their Muslim friends. I am one of them. But since animal sacrifice goes against religious and philosophical principles of many, Hindus do not take part in that. Otherwise, Eid is celebrated by many even when most of them do not even know why it is celebrated at all.

Back
Top Bottom