What's new

Coins of Indian iron age provides strong links to bronze age IVC

W.11

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Few years ago a research paper which drew me towards this topic was a comparison which some colonial scholars had made regarding coinage of ancient india from mahajanapada period to the square seals and motifs of the indus valley civilization. although the case equated the punch marked coins qith the indus seals what caught me off guard were some die cast coins declared from ''shunga era'', few months ago reading another research book written by an archaeologist who excavated Kausambi, an ancient mahajanapada period city and stretched the chronology of the ''shunga period coin'' way before in 855 BC which was mind blowing, since these coins are virtually identical to IVC period seals and hence speculation of them/indus seals being used as coins in the bronze ages.

Similarity of the coin and the seals represents a connection between proto indian polity from the early iron ages to the bronze age indus.

what do you think?

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25201111?seq=1

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.535975/page/n43

347px-Shunga.JPG

shunga coin also found from 855 BC iron age period

unicorn-seal_0.jpg

nidus seal from bronze age periods

regards

Many European dynasties copied the Greek and Roman styles long after their decline. The Iron and Bronze age dynasties in South Asia also copied the styles of Indus Valley Civilization (IVC). These civilizations were nearly at midpoint between us and IVC in the history.

Few years ago a research paper which drew me towards this topic was a comparison which some colonial scholars had made regarding coinage of ancient india from mahajanapada period to the square seals and motifs of the indus valley civilization. although the case equated the punch marked coins qith the indus seals what caught me off guard were some die cast coins declared from ''shunga era'', few months ago reading another research book written by an archaeologist who excavated Kausambi, an ancient mahajanapada period city and stretched the chronology of the ''shunga period coin'' way before in 855 BC which was mind blowing, since these coins are virtually identical to IVC period seals and hence speculation of them/indus seals being used as coins in the bronze ages.

Similarity of the coin and the seals represents a connection between proto indian polity from the early iron ages to the bronze age indus.

what do you think?

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25201111?seq=1

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.535975/page/n43

347px-Shunga.JPG

shunga coin also found from 855 BC iron age period

unicorn-seal_0.jpg

nidus seal from bronze age periods

regards
What nonsense is this?

To propose a relation of IVC seals from around 2000 BCE to 'Shunga Empire' and other polities, that emerged thousands of years later and a thousand miles away is baseless.

The meager similarities they share, such as a square shape and the depiction of an animal are simply coincidental, as the coinage you showcased here are primarily the result of external influences that I will elaborate below.

Square minted coins in the region were not uncommon during the Iron-age, however; they did not depict animals or a written script as in the examples you showed.

Here is one from Taxila, as you can see, coins from this period were primarily an assortment of various symbols.

Taxila_%28local_coinage%29._Circa_220-185_BC.jpg

It was not until the Indo-Greeks that you would see depictions of a written script and animals/figures. It were the Greeks that introduced this style, not a legacy of IVC as you are hinting it to be.

Through trade, this style of coinage spread, especially to other parts of South Asia. The Shunga coin that you depicted for example is just a form of poor imitation of Indo-Greek coinage.

Here are Indo-Greek coins for example:
MIG0207h-636.33.jpg

Apollodotus_I_early_coinage_symbols.jpg

Coin_of_Heliocles_II.jpg

Pakistanis are blonde Muslim Vikings

We are dark Sub-Saharan African Bantu speaking Hindus

We have nothing to do with each other...ThankYou

#WakandaForever
No need to over-exaggerate to such an extent just because we consider ourselves distinct.

What nonsense is this?

To propose a relation of IVC seals from around 2000 BCE to 'Shunga Empire' and other polities, that emerged thousands of years later and a thousand miles away is baseless.

The meager similarities they share, such as a square shape and the depiction of an animal are simply coincidental, as the coinage you showcased here are primarily the result of external influences that I will elaborate below.

Square minted coins in the region were not uncommon during the Iron-age, however; they did not depict animals or a written script as in the examples you showed.

Here is one from Taxila, as you can see, coins from this period were primarily an assortment of various symbols.

Taxila_%28local_coinage%29._Circa_220-185_BC.jpg

It was not until the Indo-Greeks that you would see depictions of a written script and animals/figures. It were the Greeks that introduced this style, not a legacy of IVC as you are hinting it to be.

Through trade, this style of coinage spread, especially to other parts of South Asia. The Shunga coin that you depicted for example is just a form of poor imitation of Indo-Greek coinage.

MIG0207h-636.33.jpg

Apollodotus_I_early_coinage_symbols.jpg

Coin_of_Heliocles_II.jpg

Thank you for the post.

What nonsense is this?

No need to over-exaggerate to such an extent just because we consider ourselves distinct.

i think you are pretty ignorant on the south asian coinage.

square coins predate the indo greek coins, secondly the shunga coin in referring to depicts a dhvaja with an animal, in a square format, this is the setting which im equating to the IVC seals which also depict some kind os stand before the animal, these types of coins have been dated by GR sharma to 855 BC pretty close to the IVC date.

regards

square coins predate the indo greek coins
Please read my post again, where did I state the contrary.

I only stated that depiction of animals and written script on coinage were introduced by the Greeks.

these types of coins have been dated by GR sharma to 855 BC pretty close to the IVC date.
The Shunga Empire lasted 185 BCE–75 BCE, how in the hell were their coins dated back to 855 BCE.

Does your 'GR Sharma' belong to the same group of "scholars" that believe the Kaaba was a Hindu Temple?

The Shunga Empire lasted 185 BCE–75 BCE, how in the hell were their coins dated back to 855 BCE.

Does your 'GR Sharma' belong to the same group of "scholars" that believe the Kaaba was a Hindu Temple?

cast copper coins like shunga one seen above have been found in the layers which archaeologist has attributed to 855 BC pretty close to the IVC timeline i-e 1300 BC

regards

cast copper coins like shunga one seen above have been found in the layers which archaeologist has attributed to 855 BC pretty close to the IVC timeline i-e 1300 BC

regards
Do show me, along with sources.

Shungas never copied Indo-Greek coins. Later Indian dynasties and Central Asians will copy Indo Greek coins though.

The Shungas continued coin minting production that was the same as the Mauryas and the kingdoms before them.

No Shunga coin goes back to 850BC.

ICV culture is pretty much gone. If some things were saved, it's not significant.

In my opinion, by the time of the Indo-Aryan migration ICV culture, etc. was pretty much gone, with their cities dried up and migrations into the east. Otherwise they would've copied ICV art, architecture, etc. like the Aryans did in Mesopotamia.

Back
Top Bottom