What's new

Coast Guard To Induct 38 More Aircraft By 2020

mkb95

Reaction score
Country
India
Coast_Guard_Dornier.jpg

New Delhi: To boost its surveillance and search and rescue capabilities, the Indian Coast Guard has proposed to induct 38 more aircraft and helicopters into its fleet by 2020.

The expansion plan will see the maritime security force acquire Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH), Twin-engine Helicopters and Maritime Multi-mission Surveillance Aircraft (MMSA).

The Coast Guard at present has a fleet of 62 airplanes and helicopters.

In the next three-four months, it is going to sign a contract with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for procuring 16 ALHs, official sources said.

It is also exploring options to buy 14 twin-engine heavy helicopters. The Coast Guard is eyeing Airbus's Eurocopter but it may take a couple of years to actually acquire these as a proposal in this regard is pending with the Ministry of Defence.

"We have been looking to procure twin-engine helicopters that can help in making long trips in the sea. The current Chetak helicopters do not have the ability to go deep over the sea. The twin-engine helicopters can make longer trips," said a senior government official.

"They can be used in areas where we don't have air strips, for instance, in Minicoy and many such places," he added.

Air assets have often played a crucial role in the Indian Coast Guard's operations. When the suspicious Pakistani boat carrying explosives blew itself up on the night of December 31, 2014, off the Gujarat coast, the operation was conducted jointly by the air and sea wings of the maritime security force.

The Coast Guard is also looking for six more Maritime Multi-mission Surveillance Aircraft. However, it is waiting for the Indian Air Force to be ready with a proposal as it wants to buy the aircraft together.

"The Staff Qualitative Requirements (SQRs) of the Coast Guard and Air Force are same. So, we are waiting for their proposal to get ready and then we can buy it together. However, the purpose of the two will be different and modifications to the aircraft will be done as per the requirements of the two forces," the official said.
source- Coast Guard proposes to induct 38 more aircraft by 2020 - The Economic Times

Good. Anyway can anybody specify what's coast guards dornier is carrying on its paylon in pic?

6 Multi mission maritime aircraft's?
It looks like C295 will get additional orders from Coast Guard.
I think here coast guards are looking for 6 additional Dorniers ....

Good. Anyway can anybody specify what's coast guards dornier is carrying on its paylon in pic?

I think here coast guards are looking for 6 additional Dorniers ....

No sir,
LIVEFIST: Hunt Begins For Aircraft Platform For Indian Coastguard's New Eyes
The coast guard has long been looking for a bigger aircraft that can undertake a variety of maritime patrol tasks with a longer endurance.
They have a plan to procure 6 in first phase , 3 more in second and about 10 more in future.

Coast_Guard_Dornier.jpg

New Delhi: To boost its surveillance and search and rescue capabilities, the Indian Coast Guard has proposed to induct 38 more aircraft and helicopters into its fleet by 2020.

The expansion plan will see the maritime security force acquire Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH), Twin-engine Helicopters and Maritime Multi-mission Surveillance Aircraft (MMSA).

The Coast Guard at present has a fleet of 62 airplanes and helicopters.

In the next three-four months, it is going to sign a contract with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for procuring 16 ALHs, official sources said.

It is also exploring options to buy 14 twin-engine heavy helicopters. The Coast Guard is eyeing Airbus's Eurocopter but it may take a couple of years to actually acquire these as a proposal in this regard is pending with the Ministry of Defence.

"We have been looking to procure twin-engine helicopters that can help in making long trips in the sea. The current Chetak helicopters do not have the ability to go deep over the sea. The twin-engine helicopters can make longer trips," said a senior government official.

"They can be used in areas where we don't have air strips, for instance, in Minicoy and many such places," he added.

Air assets have often played a crucial role in the Indian Coast Guard's operations. When the suspicious Pakistani boat carrying explosives blew itself up on the night of December 31, 2014, off the Gujarat coast, the operation was conducted jointly by the air and sea wings of the maritime security force.

The Coast Guard is also looking for six more Maritime Multi-mission Surveillance Aircraft. However, it is waiting for the Indian Air Force to be ready with a proposal as it wants to buy the aircraft together.

"The Staff Qualitative Requirements (SQRs) of the Coast Guard and Air Force are same. So, we are waiting for their proposal to get ready and then we can buy it together. However, the purpose of the two will be different and modifications to the aircraft will be done as per the requirements of the two forces," the official said.
source- Coast Guard proposes to induct 38 more aircraft by 2020 - The Economic Times
It's not nearly enough. All Chetaks need to be replaced and as the nodal SAR agency in India the ICG needs to induct some medium/heavy weight maritime helos along the lines of the CH-148/EH-101/EC-725 to cover the entire Indian coast line. And in the long term they should have US-2s for long range SAR missions, the IN, by current plans, has no role in SAR beyond 2025.

For some reason (that I just can't fathom) for all forces (IA,IAF, ICG,IN etc) the procurement of helicopters is woefully neglected on a horrific scale. Other than the ALH and V5s, no new helos have been inducted into the Indian armed forces for DECADES- it is mind boggling.

@PARIKRAMA @Ankit Kumar @anant_s @Levina @Guynextdoor2 @Water Car Engineer @Taygibay @Ind4Ever

A very good development.. may be they may get couple of US-2 too in their inventory..

But much more is needed.. The helps is obsolete.. ALH partially will solve but with limited numbers not much.. Eurocopter is far far away..

I do feel some clarity on roles are needed to be discussed between IN and ICG.. So that a proper planned allocation of assets could be done.. At the moment the assets sorry to say are not upto mark at all.... Especially for the coastline and roles they have under them..

Additional ALHs and Do228s are sure, they will keep coming.
If the C295 deal for airforce is signed, then it will certainly be an ASW C295 for Navy and a MPA C295 for coast guard. Defence ministry should club the 3 separate tenders.

It's not nearly enough. All Chetaks need to be replaced and as the nodal SAR agency in India the ICG needs to induct some medium/heavy weight maritime helos along the lines of the CH-148/EH-101/EC-725 to cover the entire Indian coast line. And in the long term they should have US-2s for long range SAR missions, the IN, by current plans, has no role in SAR beyond 2025.

For some reason (that I just can't fathom) for all forces (IA,IAF, ICG,IN etc) the procurement of helicopters is woefully neglected on a horrific scale. Other than the ALH and V5s, no new helos have been inducted into the Indian armed forces for DECADES- it is mind boggling.

@PARIKRAMA @Ankit Kumar @anant_s @Levina @Guynextdoor2 @Water Car Engineer @Taygibay @Ind4Ever

Yes procurement of helicopters is a big concern. I have pinned my hopes on coming months when Ka226T might get the clearance ( heard that the need is emergency, so the first batch will be imported , while negotiations with the third party (Paris) will continue for MII) .
Also Chinook and Apaches have been materialised but they are away.
Some more Mi17s will be bought in coming months.
And if HAL shows seriousness with LUH and LCH, we will have a near decent rotary wing capability.

I guess these will really add to search and Rescue capabilities, given range and endurance of US2 amphibians.
& now that IN is looking to patrol huge areas on IOR, these are becoming a must.

View attachment 292480 View attachment 292481 View attachment 292482 View attachment 292483

Well India was working to expand our EEZ to 350Nm, what's the status? That increase will add a lot of areas.

I do feel some clarity on roles are needed to be discussed between IN and ICG.. So that a proper planned allocation of assets could be done.. At the moment the assets sorry to say are not upto mark at all.... Especially for the coastline and roles they have under them..
I would respectfully disagree bro, there is actually a VERY clear understanding between the ICG and IN for existing responsibilties and going into the future. Post-26/11 the IN took over as the agency responsible for all coastal security as an emergency measure. This is a temporary masure and the IN will begin handing over responsibility to the ICG gradually as the ICG's capabilties are built up. The idea is that by 2025, the ICG has control over the entire Indian EEZ and the IN can get back to its external mandate of power projection.

The IN produces long term road maps (prospective capability plans) emcompassing 10-15 year periods and follows them relgiously. All of this has been laid out and the evidence is for all to see (the rapid expansion of the ICG).

Addtionally, Airbus Military have offically stated their product (the EC-725) has been selected by the ICG as their long range SAR helo and the procurement is now with the MoD- let's see how long it takes. If the MoD is smart they should pool IN/ICG and in the long term IA requirements and go for a 200+ order of EC-725 with a MII production line with an Indian private sector partner (TATA/Reliance).

All three forces (even the IAF too could be a prospective customer for their long range CSAR requirements) are in the market for such birds in the next few years, it makes so much more sense to go for a common type than have all of them follow their own procurement plans independantly and possibly select 2-3 different products from 2-3 different companies. Now is the time to start thinking out of the box and maximising the benefits for India and reducing waste.

She'll do everything the IA/IN/ICG/IAF want/need:

maxresdefault.jpg

ec725_exph-0050-09-1_c_anthony_pecchi.jpg

Eurocopter_EC-725_Cougar_MkII.jpg

@Vauban @Taygibay

If the C295 deal for airforce is signed, then it will certainly be an ASW C295 for Navy and a MPA C295 for coast guard. Defence ministry should club the 3 separate tenders.
I think the C-295W is set for the kind of success the Do-228 has enjoyed since entering into licence production in India. Once it is being churned out by TATA it will start to attract a lot more customers than orginally thought- ICG and IN are obvious candidates but the CAPFs (BSF for example) are guarenteed customers in they future IMHO, they had selected this product themselves in the past but this procurement failed to get off the ground under the UPA for some reason.

Now the D-228 is being used by the IA,IN,ICG, DRDO and is even being exported to friendly nations.

Yes procurement of helicopters is a big concern. I have pinned my hopes on coming months when Ka226T might get the clearance ( heard that the need is emergency, so the first batch will be imported , while negotiations with the third party (Paris) will continue for MII) .
I won't hold my breath on the Ka-226T.

Also Chinook and Apaches have been materialised but they are away.
A welcome step indeed but, as you have said, are still some way away and will do little to address the crisis the Indian rotary wing finds itself in.
And if HAL shows seriousness with LUH and LCH, we will have a near decent rotary wing capability.
True but the issues will remain in the 10+ ton class and this is a class that is gaining importance for all forces (IA/IN/ICG/IAF) and there is no in-house project to address this (IMRH is a distant, distant dream) which is why India should simply go for a huge pooled purchase and get a production line in India and start churning those beasts out asap.

Last edited:
HH-60H Seahawk, is one of the most efficient birds when conducting SAR type duties. They got a nice payload, efficient fuel consumption, excellent type of sensor and electronic measure, got a nice footprint when deployed on the deck of ships. And they is one of the few helicopter who can cope with extreme conditions of weather and rough seas. One of the most survivable Helicopter ever build.

800px-SH-60_Seahawk.jpg

Meanwhile the Indian Navy can trying to replace their old Seaking with this

MH-60 R

800px-MH-60R_Sea_Hawk_helicopter_prepares_to_land_aboard_the_aircraft_carrier_USS_John_C._Stennis_%28cropped%29.jpg

Since tagged, I'll answer if succinctly and a bit holier than thou, for which I'm sorry in advance.

India is kept from being a more powerful nation mil. equip. wise by its practices in procurement.
Procurements run too long and are hindered by competing interests, be that of babus or local.
LCA and LCH/LUH suffer from delays and as long as they're expected, foreign buys are held up!
That was seen clearly with the -M2000 production line / -M/MRCA / -Rafale saga.

Taking helos :
A- have an independent assessment of LUH and LCH done;
B- decide from there how many of each are to be bought and what for;
C- freeze those numbers so decisions can be made afterwards ( you can still buy more if things get better );
D- select a minimum of platforms to fit the remaining needs.

Once D is reached, cut types by choosing inter-services machines ( IN-IA-IAF all the same base )
and one type per use/weight class. NH 90, EC 725, M/S/H-60 or Kamov, it really matters not.
One heavy with navalised version, one middle weight navalised, one for altitude, LUH-LCH as basics.

You then have two HUGE contracts to award and can ask for production lines on such numbers.
Last but not least and I don't know how to say this gently, stick to your flocking decisions ...
something that an observer could be authorized to doubt is at all possible to Indian govt / agencies!

No offense, just common sense, Tay.

P.S. Make sure development ( DRDO etc. ) and maker ( HAL ) get full reports on why the choices
and how each performed so they've got an honest goal post to aim for by next time!

Last edited:
Coast_Guard_Dornier.jpg

I scratched my head to find the answer and finally found it

Pollution control pods:
dornier4.jpg
Two pods, each capable of carrying upto 1891 litres of chemicals, can be mounted under the wings. The system, which is monitored and controlled by the main console, is currently in use by Indian Coast Guard for spraying of oil binding agents to remove oil pollutants from coastal waters and prevent contamination.
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited - Exports - Dornier 228

Back
Top Bottom