What's new

Coast Guard Inventory Pegged at 300 Ships, Aircraft

sudhir007

Reaction score
Coast Guard Inventory Pegged at 300 Ships, Aircraft -The New Indian Express

Making steady additions to its inventory, the Indian Coast Guard will boast of an impressive fleet of 200 ships and 100 aircraft by 2020, an officer said here Saturday.

"We have been and will continue inducting new ships, vessels and aircraft into our inventory," Coast Guard Regional Commander (Northeast) and Inspector General K. C. Pande told reporters during the concluding session of a coastal security awareness campaign.

"The vision is to have a fleet of 200 ships and 100 aircraft by 2020 and we are steadily progressing in the right direction," he said, adding that orders had been placed for more than 100 ships and aircraft.

This will add to its fleet of over 100 ships and boats, 14 air cushion vehicles (ACVs) and over 60 aircraft including the Dornier Do 228 maritime surveillance aircraft, he added.

Expressing concern over increased smuggling, including counterfeit Indian currency from Bangladeshr, Pande said most of this takes place through the land route.

He also admitted the existence of several vulnerable stretches in the Sunderbans and adjoining areas posed a threat to maritime security.

"There are some vulnerable areas, we cannot say they do not exist. But we are keeping a strict vigil. We are one of the most respected Coast Guards in the world and we constantly endeavour to ensure there is no threat to our maritime security," said Pande.

He also emphasised on the need to sensitise the people, including fishermen living in the coastal areas, on security aspects.

"It has been our constant endeavour to integrate the fishing community into coastal security mechanism and we will continue organising awareness and medical camps to develop them as our additional eyes and ears for vigilance," added Pande.

wow ! ! that is impressive plan :-)
I cant tell if you are being sarcastic, but the truth is coastal security does not come under the navy's domain, hence the name "Coast Guard".

This is what the IN's website says
All coastal security operations are now coordinated from the Joint Operations Centre, which are manned round the clock by Naval and Coast Guard teams.

These are just some fancy words, and the truth is the ICG, in its current configuration is not adequately equipped to guard all of Indian coastline.

ICG is being transformed into a mini IN .

Good for the country ..... :tup:

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic, but the truth is coastal security does not come under the navy's domain, hence the name "Coast Guard".

This is what the IN's website says

These are just some fancy words, and the truth is the ICG, in its current configuration is not adequately equipped to guard all of Indian coastline.
That's why the ICG is being boosted to this level. The IN took over the overall security post 26/11 as an interim measure to provide immediate security to the entire coast. From 2010 to 2020 the IN will gradually begin handing over more and more costal protection duties to the ICG until the 200 miles out is entirely protected by the ICG and the IN is released to look beyond India's waters and project it's power.

why are you so negative mined? :disagree: i was really appreciating the plan :angel:

why are you so negative mined? :disagree: i was really appreciating the plan :angel:
Not negative minded, I have read some of your posts before in other india related threads and wasnt sure:unsure: if you are trolling or as you say "appreciating". my bad.

That's why the ICG is being boosted to this level. The IN took over the overall security post 26/11 as an interim measure to provide immediate security to the entire coast. From 2010 to 2020 the IN will gradually begin handing over more and more costal protection duties to the ICG until the 200 miles out is entirely protected by the ICG and the IN is released to look beyond India's waters and project it's power.
This is what I had in my mind when I was writing post#2. We can just hope that the timeline doesn't slip. Its leading to over usage of our warships and incidents like this... Hole in Indian Navy's missile vessel forces its return

Last edited:
The ICG definitely takes allot of pressure off of the Navy so it can focus on offensive ops during wartime. Its good to see the IC become more capable.

Now The time has come to create a "national guard" under which all paramilitaries (except the police and BSF) would fall under. This organisation would have common a command structure, training, and equipment. It would focus solely on internal security and would let the army focus on the borders with the BSF. It would be along the lines of the Peoples armed police (but not as oppressive or heavy handed).

Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom