What's new

Coalition Support Fund (CSF) may not be possible beyond 2015: US

Aren't we already prepared for this ? Courtesy of CPEC

That's fine, I have always been of the opinion that it has done harm to Pakistan's credibility than good.

Pakistan should end this war on its own terms and strength.

Let me guess what happens next---
  • USA takes the highway out of Afghanistan
  • Chinese plans and investment too big to fail in this region so full support behind afghan taliban or afghan government (highly unlikely)
  • so a clear victor emerge from the chaos
  • Pakistan and China deal with that victor,some suitcases are exchanged and situation back to pre 2001 era
IMO Afghan gov is the weaker side so Taliban would be the victors here.

Last edited:
The scenario is changing faster than sand-dunes in a hard blowing khamseen.

Leave the Americans aside, they have (as usual) bought a one-way ticket out of a problem, nothing new.

But the biggest issue is the fallout of the stalled talks. That is leading to uncertainty, not to mention renewed bad-blood between Afghanistan and Pakistan. That will again simmer with sporadic boil-overs. This is the Chinese' biggest concern. They have already made investments in Afghanistan and were poised to make big ones in pakistan too; mainly in the the CPEC. The last thing they want is the cloud of militancy to hang over all that. Why do you think that they got actively involved in these peace parleys ?

Escalating violence in Afghanistan wont have the same effect on Pakistan as it used to and in turn wont hinder the CPEC . After the success of khyber 1 & 2 and ZeA , its safe to say that for the first time in history all the passes to afghanistan are now under PA's control. So border incursions at a large scale would be onerous . As for the fate for the stalled peace talks . These attacks are nothing more than the new taliban cheif making his mark , trying to thwart further division . Eventually , all parties will come to the table , since there are no pragmatic alternates.

Afghanistan is getting into much worse situation then ever before.
Derailment of dialogues has raised fears of Afghanistan getting into a bloody civil war again.
Changing priorities???
Wake up.. Uncle SAM..

Daesh is in Afghanistan already. Could you for a single time in your history learn from your past mistakes? See what you have done to stable ME and now Afghanistan.

And please question your adopted baby the Indians, who are responsible for derailment of talks. Why are they supporting Daesh in Afghanistan? Have anybody calculated the risks here?

Well this maybe because they have removed their boots from Afghan soil and very few are remaining so they don't want to spend that money there as the operations in ME with it's current situation will require a lot of funds.

As per the bold part in your comment. I don't agree with you because we are not a country which can be adopted by any country in this world. This may not feel good to you but we work hard, earn our own money and then use it to buy things and allies unlike Pakistan.

If we are providing any "support". Then ask for it, if they don't pay, pull the support.

That is why i said, Firstly, we had no choice!!!

Also stating that we have not gained anything from this is not true. The fact is, the war was forced upon us, we had no choice, we lost a lot and gain a little but ultimately it is the bad policies that are to leave us in a position we are in right now. US were bound to withdraw some day, we knew it when we were forced into the war so what we should have done was to maximize our gains and make appropriate decision to avoid the kind of situation we may face now as the CSF end. It is all about geo politics and lobbying in your favor.

You had no choice back then, but now you do. This is a good time to ditch USA.

You had no choice back then, but now you do. This is a good time to ditch USA.
Ditching US alone wont solve the problems. We need to clean the house, we are doing it. Also given the economic condition Pakistan will look for any support that can be made available so saying that we must DITCH USA and it will solve all our problems wont be right. But yes, a more balanced approach is the way forward. The relation between Russia and Pakistan are warming up, i am not saying we should form a block with them but i do think that we need to further build on our improving relation with the Russians. Get our own act straight and work towards a better economy and more importantly, better foreign policy and diplomacy.

Ditching US alone wont solve the problems. We need to clean the house, we are doing it. Also given the economic condition Pakistan will look for any support that can be made available so saying that we must DITCH USA and it will solve all our problems wont be right. But yes, a more balanced approach is the way forward. The relation between Russia and Pakistan are warming up, i am not saying we should form a block with them but i do think that we need to further build on our improving relation with the Russians. Get our own act straight and work towards a better economy and more importantly, better foreign policy and diplomacy.

Please note that I did not use the word "must", but suggested that it is a good time to ditch USA.

Given that the operations in Afghanistan are winding down, that Indian involvement there is increasing, that USA has shown a tilt towards India as part of is Asia-Pacific pivot, and that China has come up with support in spades, literally and figuratively, it would indeed be a good time to consider cleaning house and begin to adapt our policies to these rather large geopolitical changes.

Of course now that the largest US embassy in the world is completely built in Islamabad, why would they need more funds?

The funds to DAWN, Tribune, Geo etc. are channeled via NGOs, so no need of an CSF any more. Pakistan had anyway received nothing but empty rhetoric from the USA.

And finally, Pakistan should not rely on any support from anywhere. Self-Reliance must be our goal.

Back
Top Bottom