What's new

Churches burnt in India

Stealth, I understand that we have a mixed population. And many people who claim non-Indian descent are not actually being truthful. They just feel it gives them a higher stature in a Muslim society for whatever reasons.

It stems from a longstanding sense of superiority towards "polytheists, idolaters etc.", which is totally misplaced.

In fact, polytheistic/pagan cultures have always been far more creative than monotheistic cultures, which tend to stifle fresh thought.

If someone rejects that shared past, I don't give a damn. If someone tries to appropriate it, I have an issue. So if Pakistanis are happy ignoring or vilifying the pre-Arab invasion history (which we are informed is changing now), then that history belongs to the rest of the South Asians. If some of them are comfortable about it and want to share it, I don't see a problem.

The recent attempts by Pakistanis to understand their history all seem to stem from one particular desire...to somehow prove that Pakistan has nothing to do with India, that Pakistanis have always been separate from Indians and that their achievements are far greater than those achieved by Indians.
They tend to forget that most of their greatest history came from the non-islamic hindu/buddhist culture that they think as inferior to the islamic one.

However, if more Pakistanis think like Agnostic Muslim and consider that the entire subcontinent's history has to be considered as a whole, and not divided up like the family estate, I have no problems. Unfortunately, this attitude is rare.

I do have a problem if someone wants to appropriate that history exclusively after rejecting it for so long.

It is really a bit amusing to see some ancient Hindu mathematician being called an exclusive Pakistani even by people, who tend to bring "Indian Hindu" as some sort of dirty word in almost every post!

I agree. You cannot consider non-Islamic cultures as inferior and at the same time claim their achievements.
If India had been a buddhist majority country, Pakistanis would be going head-over-heels to prove that Pakistan never had anything to do with buddhism.
However, now that India is presently mostly Hindu, Pakistanis will try their level best to prove that no Hindu ever entered the land of the pure.

Thanks RoadRunner in advance , if you can help me with the facts about the question that I asked AM about the % Paksitani population claiming non-South Asian inheritence.

This will be difficult for him to answer.

Most and a very large number claim they are Syeds, Sheiks Etc.

Very few will say they are indigenous.

I will be very frank and without any any sentiments involved. If one sees the posts, then most attempt to distance themselves from history and wish to state that Pakistan was a separate entity from pre-historic times. When such is the mindset that defies facts, then how can you expect anyone to claim any connection with the entity called India.

It is as if all Pakistanis had never known or belonged to the Indian subcontinent and what is known as India. I also find it odd as to why anyone should insist, when others don't live up to reality. To me personally, it really does not matter. Each to his belief, even if it is conjured.

There was depreciating comments about Gujaratis being inferior to the fair skinned, tall etc originals of Pakistan or words to the effect. The poor man forgot that stating so and I mentioned it in my reply, that the very fact that he could be proud to call himself a Pakistani today was because of a 'dark skinned, short' person called Jinnah!

Therefore, why bother to debate such issues?

Debate with him AM and maybe one can learn things that one does not know.

I have benefited from posts of both AM and Mastan, even if per chance I don't agree with them.

No idea of ":hitwall:"

Exactly my point, Salim sir.

If such a large number of people claim themselves to be from the invading races and proud of it, where is the question of them even sharing this history, let alone claiming it exclusively.

Such people who want to claim that civilization are a miniscule minority within Pakistan (if they are resident in Pakistan!), I guess.

And if they truly understood that civilization, they would know that it was such an inclusive civilization. Unlike some others...

There was depreciating comments about Gujaratis being inferior to the fair skinned, tall etc originals of Pakistan or words to the effect. The poor man forgot that stating so and I mentioned it in my reply, that the very fact that he could be proud to call himself a Pakistani today was because of a 'dark skinned, short' person called Jinnah!

And many may be shocked to learn that Jinnah's grandfather was a Hindu who converted to Islam just to spite his family! Double whammy. Isn't it? ;)

Therefore, why bother to debate such issues?

At least, you gain some knowledge in the process sometime. I agree that most of the time people just stick to their positions and hardly anything comes out of it, like people posting countless senseless links on this thread (just the results of google search, I am sure), as if that proves anything.

But if you get to discuss with even a couple of people who don't have an agenda of hate and who are genuinely willing to exchange opinions, its worth a try.

The day I feel that has become impossible, I will stop even trying. I am still trying to learn.

Stealth, I understand that we have a mixed population. And many people who claim non-Indian descent are not actually being truthful. They just feel it gives them a higher stature in a Muslim society for whatever reasons.

I think to some extent both you and stealth are correct, though Stealth's answer is probably closer to the reasoning behind such a stance - that the Pakistanis do consider themselves to be distinct from "Indians". I think Aryan at one time pointed out that there perhaps is no such thing as one Indian culture, it is an amalgamation of the myriad peoples and cultures that exist in modern India, as it has always been. And the same to an extent can be said about modern Pakistan, and if you were to look at that amalgamation - Pakistan does not, anymore, have two very large influences of Bengali and South Indian culture (which it never did). So to some extent perhaps the "distinctness" idea is not far off.

And I don't see that if some people went their own way for whatever reason, how that takes away the loooong time that we shared. We may have a separate future, but to claim a separate past is being factually wrong. Here I am not referring to those who claim some non-Indian descent, of course. But then they can't claim any piece of the history of this land.

If someone rejects that shared past, I don't give a damn. If someone tries to appropriate it, I have an issue. So if Pakistanis are happy ignoring or vilifying the pre-Arab invasion history (which we are informed is changing now), then that history belongs to the rest of the South Asians. If some of them are comfortable about it and want to share it, I don't see a problem.

I do have a problem if someone wants to appropriate that history exclusively after rejecting it for so long. Anyway I don't this as being anything more than the opinion of more than a few people on the internet. At least one has never heard of the Pakistani government claiming that the Pre-Islamic civilization was a Pakistani one. Nor has one heard of very term "Pakistani civilization" by any reputed history scholar. So its no more than a storm in a tea cup.

The impression created amongst Pakistanis who do care about our pre-Islamic history is that with the labeling of so many things as "Indian" that "claiming of history" or "appropriation" has already been started by India, so in effect this is a response to that, not an instigation.

Most reputable history scholars may use the term India with the proper context in mind i.e. the region of South Asia or "ancient India". As RR pointed out in another thread, the term India was initially used to describe the regions that comprise modern day Pakistan initially. For hundreds of years that is what India was, and the term was expanded to cover more and more of the sub-continent as it was discovered. Today's India never existed until Nehru decide to name it "India". But there is no getting around the fact that in modern day lingo "India" refers to the modern Indian State, and unfortunately less informed Indians (leave alone non-South Asians) will interpret anything described as "Indian" to mean modern India.

Successive Pakistani governments are culpable in this, they have allowed our history to be forgotten, and the Mullah's have helped to erase association with our "non-Muslim" past, and are still trying (as evident from the MMA's oppostition to the new curriculum). The idea may have been that the existence of the Pakistani state might be strengthened by tying us all into Islam (foolish idea when you look at the inter Muslim tension the world over), rather than tying us all into our shared past (pakistanis only) of the Indus Valley civilization, that stretched into Afghanistan (and Stealth argues, the Gangetic plains as well) etc. That shared history, along with Islam (if they must) is a much stronger bond IMO than religion alone.

We could have approached the Indians and argued in favor of more neutral terminology to describe our shared history, but then the question needs to be asked, why would the Indian govt. agree? They win by sticking to the status quo, as the description of all this history as "Indian" (never mind the contextual use) furthers the image and brand of "Modern India".

In the absence of any mutual understanding, I don't think Pakistanis have much choice but to fight for and delineate what the consider their history (shared or not) and brand it "Pakistani". Its not stealing, its reclaiming.

It is really a bit interesting to see some ancient Hindu mathematician being called an exclusive Pakistani. Surely that guy would be shocked to know that he was a Pakistani without ever knowing about it!

He probably would be shocked at being called an Indian too - wouldn't he identify himself with whatever Kingdom, civilization, peoples he was part of at the time?

I think to some extent both you and stealth are correct, though Stealth's answer is probably closer to the reasoning behind such a stance - that the Pakistanis do consider themselves to be distinct from "Indians". I think Aryan at one time pointed out that there perhaps is no such thing as one Indian culture, it is an amalgamation of the myriad peoples and cultures that exist in modern India, as it has always been. And the same to an extent can be said about modern Pakistan, and if you were to look at that amalgamation - Pakistan does not, anymore, have two very large influences of Bengali and South Indian culture (which it never did). So to some extent perhaps the "distinctness" idea is not far off.

AM, yes, the "Indian" culture is an amalgamation (but with a striking common theme) and that is what makes it the unique culture that it is. There may not be much Bengali and South Indian influence on North Indians too. But that does not make me feel any less Indian. Deep down south, where people may not understand the Hindi and some of them may not even like the language, they still pride on being Indians.

But yes, even I don't think today's Pakistan has much of Indianness left in it. So you are distinct today.

The impression created amongst Pakistanis who do care about our pre-Islamic history is that with the labeling of so many things as "Indian" that "claiming of history" or "appropriation" has already been started by India, so in effect this is a response to that, not an instigation.

AM, I can see your point here without necessarily agreeing. The point is that Pakistan separated based on the premise that Muslims of India are a separate nation (with no reference to geography, pl. mind). Some of the biggest leaders of the movement including Jinnah and the majority of the support for the partition came from Muslim minority states, now in India. The arguement was that Muslims had a separate history, not the parts now called Pakistan. So the idea inherently was based on the negation of anything to do with the ancient pre-Invasion shared history and to identify with the Arab history as a Muslim identity.

Pakistan's rejection of that history automatically made India the only claimant to that shared history. I don't see any appropriation there. Now if some of you want to return to that history, I welcome you with open arms as return of the prodigal. As we say "Subah ka bhula.....".

Most reputable history scholars may use the term India with the proper context in mind i.e. the region of South Asia or "ancient India". As RR pointed out in another thread, the term India was initially used to describe the regions that comprise modern day Pakistan initially. For hundreds of years that is what India was, and the term was expanded to cover more and more of the sub-continent as it was discovered. Today's India never existed until Nehru decide to name it "India". But there is no getting around the fact that in modern day lingo "India" refers to the modern Indian State, and unfortunately less informed Indians (leave alone non-South Asians) will interpret anything described as "Indian" to mean modern India.

I am not sure what is meant by initially. I know that Ramayana and Mahabharata (our ancient epics) are set in the Gangetic plains with Pakistan and Gandhar forming the periphery.

During Alexander's invasion, the centre of India was the Maurya empire based in Magadha (Bihar). Porus was a small frontier king who none the less made all Indians proud with his bravery.

Successive Pakistani governments are culpable in this, they have allowed our history to be forgotten, and the Mullah's have helped to erase association with our "non-Muslim" past, and are still trying (as evident from the MMA's oppostition to the new curriculum). The idea may have been that the existence of the Pakistani state might be strengthened by tying us all into Islam (foolish idea when you look at the inter Muslim tension the world over), rather than tying us all into our shared past (pakistanis only) of the Indus Valley civilization, that stretched into Afghanistan (and Stealth argues, the Gangetic plains as well) etc. That shared history, along with Islam (if they must) is a much stronger bond IMO than religion alone.

We could have approached the Indians and argued in favor of more neutral terminology to describe our shared history, but then the question needs to be asked, why would the Indian govt. agree? They win by sticking to the status quo, as the description of all this history as "Indian" (never mind the contextual use) furthers the image and brand of "Modern India".

In the absence of any mutual understanding, I don't think Pakistanis have much choice but to fight for and delineate what the consider their history (shared or not) and brand it "Pakistani". Its not stealing, its reclaiming.

But isn't your government following the script of the reasoning for partition in doing this? I agree with your basic premise here, but some may feel that it runs counter to the Pakistan "ideology".

He probably would be shocked at being called an Indian too - wouldn't he identify himself with whatever Kingdom, civilization, peoples he was part of at the time?

Yes. And he definitely didn't feel that he is going to an alien civilization when he went to work in Ujjain.

I think Punjab and Sindh of Pakistan has a lot in common with North India. However, I'll agree that the western parts of pakistan tend to match more closely with Afghan/central asian culture.

There definitely is such a thing called an Indian culture, as contrasted with other cultures of the world. However, there are numerous variations between indian culture with no clear dividing lines between two cultures.

that is not entirely true. The Romans had contact with South India quite early, and they too referred to the area as some variation of "India".

Moreover, India was considered the land beyond the Indus. The lands towards the west of the Indus were not considered as "India" (perhaps including a thin line of the Indus flood plane on the west)

By the start of the CE era, the term "India" was applied to the entire subcontinent, as has been discussed on earlier threads, so no need to go there again.

Unfortunately or Fortunately, the term "Ancient India" will most likely always be used to describe the history of the subcontinent for convenience, since its cumbersome to name each country, and the term "South Asia" is quite vague.
This is precisely because there is no clear-cut division between the two countries in history.

A better term would be "Indian Subcontinent", which is also quite acceptable to all (except to Pakistan). Frankly, I've never seen a Sri Lankan, Nepali, Bangladeshi or Bhutanese complain about it.

I'd agree with that. However, there is no need to take the other extreme and try to disconnect all historical bonds with the region east of Radcliffe's line.

How do you know? Has any Pakistani agency officially approached the govt. of India?

I agree. He would probably associate himself with his caste or tribe, and his native village (and he did, by mentioning his hometown in his mathematical text).
However, since there are attempts to brand him a Pakistani, I have no choice but to counter that claim.

There are some who argue that Pakistan gave up its right to its non-islamic heritage by creating an islamic state in the region.
These people are those who see this from the point of view of a "clash of civlilzations", i.e. the Hindu/Buddhist one versus the Islamic one.
They see Pakistan as a land that has been lost to the Islamic side.
This is the "Hindutva" view.
If Pakistan had accepted its non-islamic past at the start itself, then perhaps there would never have been this problem.

I suppose its too late now.

In the minds of a lot of Indians, the score is Islam-1, India-0. And now its time for India to score a goal. Not by military means, but by using something much more powerful: Brains.

Most unfortunate, but that's what it is.

Heard of V.S. Naipaul, the Nobel Prize winning author? He is one of those people who is thinking in these terms: A thousand year war between the land of the Hindus and the land of Islam. He is one of those people who lend intellectual credibility to the Hindutva movement.

Let us see what happens. Cos it sure ain't gonna be a boring match.

AM, I can see your point here without necessarily agreeing. The point is that Pakistan separated based on the premise that Muslims of India are a separate nation (with no reference to geography, pl. mind). Some of the biggest leaders of the movement including Jinnah and the majority of the support for the partition came from Muslim minority states, now in India. The arguement was that Muslims had a separate history, not the parts now called Pakistan. So the idea inherently was based on the negation of anything to do with the ancient pre-Invasion shared history and to identify with the Arab history as a Muslim identity.

Pakistan's rejection of that history automatically made India the only claimant to that shared history. I don't see any appropriation there. Now if some of you want to return to that history, I welcome you with open arms as return of the prodigal. As we say "Subah ka bhula.....".

I am not sure what is meant by initially. I know that Ramayana and Mahabharata (our ancient epics) are set in the Gangetic plains with Pakistan and Gandhar forming the periphery.

During Alexander's invasion, the centre of India was the Maurya empire based in Magadha (Bihar). Porus was a small frontier king who none the less made all Indians proud with his bravery.

But isn't your government following the script of the reasoning for partition in doing this? I agree with your basic premise here, but some may feel that it runs counter to the Pakistan "ideology".

Yes. And he definitely didn't feel that he is going to an alien civilization when he went to work in Ujjain.

I don't think the idea of Pakistan negates pre-Islamic history, One could argue that the "uniting factor" for Pakistan, in 1947, was the shared religious identity, but before that shared religious identity there existed a shared culture and history as well, which may have been shared with Western India, but predominantly existed in modern Pakistan. It was a combination of both the shared history through the ages, of the peoples that make up Pakistan, as well as the shared religion at the time of its creation that justifies its distinctness.

History is not a product, that can simply be taken by one side if the other ignores it. The history of Pakistani people will always remain that. That the Indus Valley civilization may have been the ancestors of Pakistanis, they do not become the ancestors of Indians merely because some Pakistani governments have ignored that aspect of our history.

But a lot of these arguments have been made in the two or three threads in the history sub forum, and I would encourage you to read those and respond there. This thread has been hijacked for far too long.

I agree. Lets take this debate to another thread before we all get infractions.

If Pakistan had accepted its non-islamic past at the start itself, then perhaps there would never have been this problem.

I suppose its too late now.

In the minds of a lot of Indians, the score is Islam-1, India-0. And now its time for India to score a goal. Not by military means, but by using something much more powerful: Brains.

Most unfortunate, but that's what it is.

Heard of V.S. Naipaul, the Nobel Prize winning author? He is one of those people who is thinking in these terms: A thousand year war between the land of the Hindus and the land of Islam. He is one of those people who lend intellectual credibility to the Hindutva movement.

Let us see what happens. Cos it sure ain't gonna be a boring match.

It is never too late. What will happen, if the moderates are able to continue with their efforts to teach Pakistan's pre-Islamic history and win the war with extremism (which has to be won from an existential POV anyway), is that the future generations will be aware off and celebrate that history. If anything, it will help in that war against extremism, and help in moving interpretations of Islam to the spiritual, and the Sufis are an excellent example of that are they not?

I am afraid that that Naipaul and his followers are going to be quite disappointed. There will either be a more spiritualistic form of Islam or an extremist one. When one looks at modern religion, in areas where conversion and change are freely allowed, you do not see mass movement from one faith to another. What seems to happen is a moderation of both and a coexistence in a sort of equilibrium. Within India, with the increase in secularism and influences form around the world, the Hindutva movement itself will die out, similar to how extreme Islam would die out were the moderates to win, so there will be no one left to wage the war. We can already see that there will be no one left to wage the war on the Indian side (considering how fast secularism seems ot be spreading) the only question is if there will be anyone in Pakistan to do so, and I believe the moderates have already started to win that fight - of ideas and minds, not of violence.

Agreed. I am in the history section now. Trying to see, if I can find the relevant thread and see some good discussions on this topic.

BTW, there was a great thread on WAB too about this. Let me know if you want to see that and I can PM you the link.

The historical bias in Pakistani textbooks was studied by Rubina Saigol, Pervez Hoodbhoy, K. K. Aziz, I. A. Rahman, Mubarak Ali, A. H. Nayyar, Ahmed Saleem, Y. Rosser and others.

This an interesting study that indicates why and how the mindset to distance itself from the historical facts of the Indian subcontinent has been systematically organised.

As AM rightly brings out it is not the history of India per se, but India as was perceived throughout history.

Religious compulsion do not change history or else there would be no Mughal phase in the history of India. Fortunately, such distortions do not appear in Indian text books since that would be living in denial.

I'll answer some of this now, the rest later. Two things stand out.

Look, its quite obvious that "India" refers to modern India unless specified otherwise. No author would be **** enough to confuse modern India with Pakistan.
If a reference is made to ancient India, it is usually written as "now in Pakistan" or something of the sort.

That's not true. I'll prove it with this link from Oregon College website.

"Classical Sanskrit was "perfected" by Indian grammarian Panini in his Sutra (lesson), written in the Devanagari alphabet and script."
India Timeline 1: Early India

Everyone knows unequivocally that Panini was born in Shatula, Pakistan. Now why does this site mention him as being Indian? The same logic can be applied to the Brahmagupta sites you quote that say he was born in India. They could easily (and probably are) referring to Ancient India, which in this case was Pakistan, as the Panini example illustrates. A source of confusion, yes. You did not prove to me that those sites were referring to modern day India only. In fact if anything, I would say that most of the references of Ancient India refer to Pakistan, since Bharati history was not well documented, but Pakistan's was.

Here is a quote that ought to seal the case:

"his book Brahma-sputa-siddhanta describes him as the teacher from Bhillamala, which is a town now known as Bhinmal"

Source: Mathematics and Its History - Google Book Search

his own work Brahma-sputa-siddhanta describes him as born in Bhinmal. What more proof do you need?

This does not seal it. Perhaps English is not your first language, or you are not very good at reading it. Your quote says that he was a teacher from Bhillamala, not where he was born. Even I acknowledge he worked for a period of time in Rajasthan. However, I'm arguing about his birthplace, and where he was brought up. This appears to be Multan. I'll get more references later.

That's not true. I'll prove it with this link from Oregon College website.

"Classical Sanskrit was "perfected" by Indian grammarian Panini in his Sutra (lesson), written in the Devanagari alphabet and script."
India Timeline 1: Early India

Everyone knows unequivocally that Panini was born in Shatula, Pakistan. Now why does this site mention him as being Indian? The same logic can be applied to the Brahmagupta sites you quote that say he was born in India. They could easily (and probably are) referring to Ancient India, which in this case was Pakistan, as the Panini example illustrates. A source of confusion, yes. You did not prove to me that those sites were referring to modern day India only. In fact if anything, I would say that most of the references of Ancient India refer to Pakistan, since Bharati history was not well documented, but Pakistan's was.

It cannot. the phrase "Indian grammarian" and "born in India" are completely different.
"Indian grammarian" could refer to Ancient Indian as well, but "born in India" would indicate an exact place, and would be wrong. It would always be "born in Pakistan".

This does not seal it. Perhaps English is not your first language, or you are not very good at reading it. Your quote says that he was a teacher from Bhillamala, not where he was born. Even I acknowledge he worked for a period of time in Rajasthan. However, I'm arguing about his birthplace, and where he was brought up. This appears to be Multan. I'll get more references later.

Please get some references. I have shown you plenty of them, both modern and historical, referring to his birthplace as either Bhillamala or Ujjain or working in Bhillamala or Ujjain etc.

I couldn't find more than 2-3 references casually mentioning him as "Brahmagupta of Multan", probably choosing Multan because it was an important city close to his place of birth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom