What's new

Chinese students spend billions overseas. Coronavirus travel bans will leave some countries seriousl

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Chinese students spend billions overseas. Coronavirus travel bans will leave some countries seriously out of pocket
By Julia Hollingsworth, CNN

Updated 7:52 PM ET, Sat February 15, 2020

hLY9gpt.png

(CNN)If it weren't for the novel coronavirus outbreak, Xu Mingxi would have been in class at a prestigious New York university this week.

Instead, the 22-year-old has spent the past three weeks confined to his family's apartment in Wuhan, the Chinese city at the center of the outbreak, which is currently on lockdown to prevent the virus spreading.

But even if Xu could leave home, the United States -- where he's studied for the past four-and-a-half years -- won't let him in.

Over 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) away in Beijing, Alex -- who asked not to use her real name for fear of online retribution -- is in a similar situation. She's spent the past two weeks at home with her mom and grandpa, being delivered groceries by community leaders. She's worried she won't be able to fly to Sydney to study later this month and may have to delay her law degree by a semester.

As novel coronavirus spreads, over 60 countries have imposed travel restrictions on Chinese citizens, hoping to limit their exposure to the virus that has killed more than 1,600 people, almost all in mainland China, and infected over 68,000 worldwide. Both Australia and the US have put temporary bans on foreign nationals who visited China in the 14 days prior to their arrival.

That has locked Xu and Alex out of their studies -- and they are by no means alone.
In 2017, an estimated 900,000 Chinese tertiary students studied abroad. Around half of those went to either the United States or Australia, contributing billions of dollars to their economies -- money that those countries now stand to lose.

It is not clear how many of the 360,000 Chinese students studying in the US were outside the country when the US travel ban hit on January 31, shortly before many universities were due to resume. But when Australia imposed its restrictions at the start of February, authorities estimated that 56% of Chinese students -- about 106,680 people -- were still abroad. Term was due to begin in late February or early March.

"For Australia, it couldn't have come at a worse time. It's exactly the time of the year in which people are coming from China to Australia," said Andrew Norton, a professor in the practice of higher education policy at the Australian National University. The virus outbreak coincided with the Lunar New Year -- the most important holiday in the Chinese calendar, when many students go home to see their family.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/15/asia/chinese-students-universities-intl-hnk/index.html

Fears thousands of Australian university jobs will be lost due to ban on Chinese students as $38billion higher education industry reels from virus outbreak
  • A third of Australia's international students could look to study in other countries
  • Prime Minister Scott Morrison extended travel ban by another week from China
  • Up to 100,000 international students unable to return in time for semester one
  • Foreign students generated $32 billion for the Australian economy in 2017/18
By BRETT LACKEY and LAUREN FERRI FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 10:03 EST, 15 February 2020 | UPDATED: 14:33 EST, 15 February 2020

Thousands of university jobs could be at risk as a ban on Chinese students entering the country continues amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The Australian government extended the two-week travel ban from mainland China to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 for another seven days this week.

The travel halt means that 100,000 international students are unable to attend Australia's universities.

Nearly one in four workers in academia are casual, meaning they could easily be sacked if student numbers decline.

The national academic union has called for vice-chancellors to guarantee their jobs.

Alison Barnes of the National Tertiary Education Union said: 'We've written to university vice-chancellors, asking them to commit that those casuals who would normally be working from day 1 of semester will not be worse off as a result of timetable changes due to coronavirus.'

In 2017/18 foreign university students accounted for about $32 billion being generated in the Australian economy as a knock on effect, according the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Their fees and living expenses represent Australia's third biggest export behind only iron ore and coal according to government trade figures.

Nearly one third of those stuck in China and will look to other places to go to university, a survey conducted by the Education Consultants Association of Australia found.

Of 16,000 students surveyed, 32 per cent said they would enroll in another country if they could not complete the first semester of 2020 in Australia, SBS reported.

Canada and UK have no travel bans in place.

Universities and the $37.9billion higher education industry could be thrown into chaos if the international students are unable to return in time for the semester.

China, Australia's biggest trading partner, is the No.1 source of international students.

They made up 38.3 per cent of foreign education enrollments in 2018, with Department of Education figures showing 152,591 were studying in Australia.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...inese-students-amid-coronavirus-outbreak.html

As an international student in Australia myself, I can tell you that this does not impact much in Australia.

First of all, Australia offer a distant study package at home or a defer semester, well, have not gone back to school yet, but at least I don't have to sit with a bunch of Chinese student who speak nothing to Chinese amongst themselves.

Second of all, Australia international student market was a subsidiary from Government HECS program (by law Australian Uni need to take more Local Student than international student at a ratio of 60:40 and they are supplemented by Government HECS program), which mean whatever amount they are spending is basically covered by HECS and whatever on top of that was their "Spending Money" they use it to build stuff, expand their campus, and hire more staff. So they may not build some new campus the next year but well, not a big deal, at least not as much as these people make it out to be.

Better that then having Australia turn into another Hong Kong with regard to the scare of virus. I have already come back from it, I don't want to go into another "Outbreak Zone" Ban all Chinese tourist or student from entering Australia I say.

As an international student in Australia myself, I can tell you that this does not impact much in Australia.

First of all, Australia offer a distant study package at home or a defer semester, well, have not gone back to school yet, but at least I don't have to sit with a bunch of Chinese student who speak nothing to Chinese amongst themselves.

Second of all, Australia international student market was a subsidiary from Government HECS program (by law Australian Uni need to take more Local Student than international student at a ratio of 60:40 and they are supplemented by Government HECS program), which mean whatever amount they are spending is basically covered by HECS and whatever on top of that was their "Spending Money" they use it to build stuff, expand their campus, and hire more staff. So they may not build some new campus the next year but well, not a big deal, at least not as much as these people make it out to be.

Better that then having Australia turn into another Hong Kong with regard to the scare of virus. I have already come back from it, I don't want to go into another "Outbreak Zone" Ban all Chinese tourist or student from entering Australia I say.

Banning all Chinese tourists and students until the coronavirus is completely cured is the only solution. Safety must come before money.

but at least I don't have to sit with a bunch of Chinese student who speak nothing to Chinese amongst themselves.
Isnt there a language requirement that needs to be completed before foreign students get admission to Australian schools? I am asking because I recall hearing story similar to this in other western country universities

Trust me, other than a few businesses that cater to them, these Chinese students and tourists are not missed.

It's not like they are charming people who engaged deeply with the locals forming deep bonds. Nope, just weird anti-social people who spoke only in Chinese and hung around only with Chinese people, just transactional relationships.

Isnt there a language requirement that needs to be completed before foreign students get admission to Australian schools? I am asking because I recall hearing story similar to this in other western country universities

Chinese people don't know how to interact with people from other cultures. Granted, most White westerners don't want to hang around Chinese fobs, but other races may be more open. However since Chinese people ONLY want to befriend White westerners, the lack of that opportunity just makes them more insulated and they stick to their own crowd and barely try to improve their English, which is at a horrendous level.

Language requirement are generally for either university direct entry student or for immigration purpose. If they come thru internal courses (Foundation classes in Australia) you do not need English requirement, because they will teach you English.

Even if you do require to take a IELTS exam, score all 6s does not mean you are fluent in English, that is the level which mean you will have basic level of English Communication.

Chinese student seldom speak English in class, and unless they are paired by the lecturer or tutor, they tend to group together.

Banning all Chinese tourists and students until the coronavirus is completely cured is the only solution. Safety must come before money.

Yeah, I don't think Australian want to see what people are Hong Kong is facing first hand. I just went back then for the Chinese New Year, and I can tell you this. Things aren't really good, the closer to China you get, the worse the situation you have.

10 days in that hellhole is enough. Thanks China.

I never even heard of him before, was he famous (In a good way or in a bad way??)

He is some "Right Wing" You Tuber aka shrill not saying his videos on China are bad but being a "right wing " zio shrill does not mean he is good

'Chinese-born population could exceed English-born population in Australia for first time'
11/09/2019|10min
Australia's permanent migration levels have dropped to their lowest in a decade under the Morrison government, however, net overseas migration sits at 230,000 - the highest in our history. Speaking to Sky News The Australian's Adam Creighton said over the last five-year numbers of people moving from China has increased by 50 per cent while the Indian migrant rate has risen to 56 per cent. Mr Creighton said if we were to assume growth continues at the same rate over the next five years, "the Chinese-born population could exceed the English born population in Australia for the first time". Over the past five years, the rate of growth for the Indian-born population was around 56 per cent - about nine times faster than the overall population. He said the “skew” of the “generous” immigration program is shifting to the lower-skilled, which sees downward pressure on wages for low-skilled jobs across the board.

Sharing stuff from Avi Yemeni lol dude is a Kosher shrill
The video shows studying in Australia and speaking English doesn't change the Chinese students support to China.

Language requirement are generally for either university direct entry student or for immigration purpose. If they come thru internal courses (Foundation classes in Australia) you do not need English requirement, because they will teach you English.

Even if you do require to take a IELTS exam, score all 6s does not mean you are fluent in English, that is the level which mean you will have basic level of English Communication.

Chinese student seldom speak English in class, and unless they are paired by the lecturer or tutor, they tend to group together.

Yeah, I don't think Australian want to see what people are Hong Kong is facing first hand. I just went back then for the Chinese New Year, and I can tell you this. Things aren't really good, the closer to China you get, the worse the situation you have.

10 days in that hellhole is enough. Thanks China.

Hong Kong people aren't any better. In fact in many ways they are more irritating and obnoxious than Mainland Chinese. They are just as clannish and socially retarded, actually even more socially retarded in many ways as many of their guys are tiny, buck ugly and have no senses like Joshua Wong. I know because I grew up with these subhuman retards.

The only difference is that HKers kiss up to White people better.

Hong Kong people aren't any better. In fact in many ways they are more irritating and obnoxious than Mainland Chinese. They are just as clannish and socially retarded, actually even more socially retarded in many ways as many of their guys are tiny, buck ugly and have no senses like Joshua Wong. I know because I grew up with these subhuman retards.

Well, I wonder should I actually talk to you, because I do not plan on being associated with lunatics.

You probably need medical advice if you think anyone is a "sub-human" I mean I have not even heard of the term being use since WW2. I mean, as much as I hated the Mainlander, I would never call them "Sub-Human" So for you, what next? Should they start branding Hong Konger if they are sub-human?

Last edited:

That pseudo-British accent goes a long way to make WASPS happy and support you lol

Back
Top Bottom