What's new

Chinese premier urges Japan to release Chinese skipper immediately, unconditionally

This, however, wouldn't stop the U.S. from offering military support through technological transfers. If the U.S. takes no action at all it will not make a very good impression on other U.S. allies.

Mate,There is no possibility of war taking place in the first place...I feel This issue is gonna settled amicably as both are economic giants and wont risk a setback to their economies especially china...Her aim is to become future economic super power and economic activities require peace and stability to prevail.:)

There's no chance for war. Both sides are playing this very carefully. China just denied a report alleging it has completely halted REE export to Japan. So we don't even want an trade war let alon a real war.
it is too early to say no war just very low probability .we don't need it ,but if it still hit at you then act as a qualified enemy.it is depend on Japan.

There's no chance for war. Both sides are playing this very carefully. China just denied a report alleging it has completely halted REE export to Japan. So we don't even want an trade war let along a real war.

looks like I was a bit hasty on the uptake:oops:.

hopefully things are resolved peacefully.

Lot this could just be a diversion from Chinese internal or external problems.

Nine Chinese launch new Sydney immigration protest - Yahoo! News

Funny thought the hearing on the captain gets a lot more attention from China then the North Koreans shooting a few Chinese.

China makes rare public protest against North Korea over killing of 3 - Los Angeles Times

CAPTAIN troller back on job once again, you simply never learn ah?

Please take some serious English class before claiming to be an American, people might mistaken US had stop giving out Compulsory education. You are a disgrace to Americans like me and many others on this forum, stop giving us a bad name with your idiotic behavior.

I doubt you know what a green card looks like, let alone certificate of US citizenship, where to get a US passport or even a driver licence.

For pete's sake, save yourself some dignity and get lost please.:wave:

wha?:what: you got the wrong guy.

Disregarding the bolded ,yes, the area is disputed. I was responding to the mention that it the Chinese military's duty to defend Chinese territitory. The area is disputed, thus both sides can claim to be defending their territory.

:edit: Also i'm surprised the news that China has for the time being halted certain rare earth shipments to Japan isn't up yet.

Oh, my bad then, but strange, that so-called lebanese anon45 just deleted his profile of being a 45yrs old lebanese, and she is a 45 yrs old American woman now, what a coincidence aww.:whistle:

And you forget to thinks me to put money in your pocket for my brilliant keyword="Disputed" regarding this China, Japan dispute though.:D

Lot this could just be a diversion from Chinese internal or external problems.

Nine Chinese launch new Sydney immigration protest - Yahoo! News

Funny thought the hearing on the captain gets a lot more attention from China then the North Koreans shooting a few Chinese.

China makes rare public protest against North Korea over killing of 3 - Los Angeles Times

Just FYI do you know some one called noname on Sinodefence? I am talking about noname, not no_name.

hear-hear-hearing-ears-smiley-emoticon-000672-large.gif

China-Japan row: US urges dialogue to resolve issue

NEW YORK, Sept 23: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged Japan on Thursday to pursue dialogue with China in a bid to resolve quickly a row over a Chinese trawler captain whom Japanese authorities detained near islands both countries claim, a US official said.

The official said Washington is also urging efforts to avoid an escalation in the crisis as Japanese media reported that Clinton told Japanese Foreign Minister Seiji Maehara in New York that the islands are covered by the Japan-US security treaty.

Under the 1960 treaty, the United States is obliged to defend Japan against any attack on a territory under Tokyo’s administration.

In meeting with Maehara, Clinton sought to “encourage dialogue and (voiced) hope that the issue can be resolved soon,” her spokesman Philip Crowley said, adding Japan-China ties “are vitally important to regional stability.” Maehara told the chief US diplomat that Tokyo is trying to resolve the row based on its legal process and international law, Crowley told reporters after the meeting on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York.

“We are not mediating per se. We have not been asked to play a particular role,” he said, adding this is an issue two “mature countries” like China and Japan are “fully capable of resolving.” Nor did he expect the dispute to run out of control.

“Our sense is that neither side wants to see this situation escalate to the point that has long-term regional impact,” Crowley said.

He added: “We continue to encourage both sides to do everything to resolve it and certainly not to escalate it.”He said that the dispute also came up earlier this week in US-Chinese talks. Clinton met with Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi on Monday.

US President Barack Obama met on Thursday in New York with Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, who said he came to the United States in a “spirit of cooperation.” Obama was also due to meet with Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan but Crowley said he could not predict whether the row will come up in the high-level US talks with both countries.

Maehara’s press secretary Satoru Satoh said on Wednesday that Japan wants to communicate with China but that no meetings are yet planned between Japanese and Chinese officials in New York.

Maehara told reporters after his meeting here that Clinton had acknowledged the Senkaku islands — known as the Daioyu islands by China, which also claims them — were subject to the treaty, Kyodo News Agency reported.

“According to the Japanese minister, Clinton said that the Senkakus... are subject to Article 5 of the bilateral security treaty, which authorises the US to protect Japan in the event of an armed attack ‘in the territories under the administration of Japan’,” the report said.—AFP

CAPTAIN troller back on job once again, you simply never learn ah?

Please take some serious English class before claiming to be an American, people might mistaken US had stop giving out Compulsory education. You are a disgrace to Americans like me and many others on this forum, stop giving us a bad name with your idiotic behavior.

I doubt you know what a green card looks like, let alone certificate of US citizenship, where to get a US passport or even a driver licence.

For pete's sake, save yourself some dignity and get lost please.:wave:

I just find it interesting that chinese would rather commit suicide then go back to China.

I just find it interesting that chinese would rather commit suicide then go back to China.

Of course. Now that they sought political asylum in Australia they are afraid that the Chinese people will see them as traitors once they are sent back. There will be no shortage of "angry youths" smearing dung on their doors.

p.s. You still haven't answered my question yet regarding noname.

CAPTAIN AMERICA lol, brotherhood got a point though, IMHO, your english is quite sh!tty, hope you won't mind my honesty lol:hang2:
But don't worry, "practice makes perfect" :tup:
BTW, your post.......:blink:

Oh, my bad then, but strange, that so-called lebanese anon45 just deleted his profile of being a 45yrs old lebanese, and she is a 45 yrs old American woman now, what a coincidence aww.:whistle:

And you forget to thinks me to put money in your pocket for my brilliant keyword="Disputed" regarding this China, Japan dispute though.:D

Once again :what:?

I am not Lebanese, 45 yrs old, or a woman. Look at my welcome post if you want to know a bit more. I'm certainly not making money off of this (though that would be kinda fun I admit!).

The NY times is still claiming China has halted exports to Japan using some executives as their sources. I'm certainly not aware how much these executives are invested in China, so they might be talking out their a**es. Then again maybe not.

heres the article

New York Times said:
HONG KONG — China officially denied on Thursday that it had halted exports to Japan of a crucial category of minerals, but industry executives said that factories in China were still not shipping to Japan after Chinese customs agents blocked shipments earlier this week.

The minerals are so-called rare earths, which are used in products like wind turbines and hybrid cars.

Gary L. Billingsley, executive chairman of the Great Western Minerals Group, a Canadian company with rare earth processing factories in Michigan and Britain, said China appeared to have stopped shipping rare earths to Japan on Tuesday.

Japanese traders “confirm that there has definitely been a disruption in the supply of rare earths,” Mr. Billingsley said. Shipments loaded before Tuesday have continued to arrive at Japanese ports, he said, adding that Great Western had not experienced any disruption because it bought supplies directly from China.

Eight industry executives and analysts said that China had suspended the shipments on Tuesday in response to a diplomatic dispute over Japan’s detention of a Chinese fishing trawler captain. Some theorized that the action might have been taken by Chinese customs agents, rather than as a formal trade embargo imposed by government regulations, to give Beijing more negotiating room with Japan.

China mines 93 percent of the world’s rare earth minerals and more than 99 percent of the world’s supply of some of the most prized rare earths, which sell for several hundred dollars a pound.

Thursday was a holiday in Japan, and before the work day began there on Friday, there was no conclusive word from the Japanese government about the blocked shipments.

“We are still investigating,” Masaki Shimode, a spokesman for Japan’s Ministry of Trade, said. “We are not yet ready to react.”

But industry executives, analysts and two Japanese trader confirmed that rare earths bound for Japan stopped leaving Chinese ports on Tuesday. China has export quotas for rare earths, but even factories with ample quotas for further exports had been dissuaded from making shipments, they said.

“People are mystified why the Chinese don’t acknowledge it,” said Dudley Kingsnorth, the executive director of the Industrial Minerals Company of Australia, a rare earth consulting company.

An official at one of Japan’s top traders in rare earths, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Chinese customs officials had blocked rare earth shipments bound for Japan on Tuesday. But because Chinese offices, including customs, closed down then for the Chinese Autumn Equinox holiday, industry players were still unsure whether the blockage was the start of a longer-term embargo.

The trading company would know on Monday, the first business day after the holiday, whether Chinese customs were once again letting shipments go through, the official said. If China did continue to halt shipments, it would be extremely difficult to switch to other sources, he said.

Rare earths are used in a wide variety of industrial applications, including the manufacture of glass, batteries, catalytic converters, compact fluorescent bulbs and computer display screens. Demand has surged in the last decade for clean energy applications, like generators for large wind turbines and lightweight electric motors for cars.

Japanese automakers in particular have been turning to rare earths for the electric motors used in power steering in conventional gasoline-powered cars, as well as the more powerful electric motors that help propel gasoline-electric hybrid cars like the Prius.

Some industry analysts predicted on Thursday that the Chinese government would relent soon and allow a resumption of rare earth exports to Japan, having made the point that China had considerable economic leverage over Japan these days.

“This is politics — in my view, it won’t last,” said Judith Chegwidden, a managing director of the Roskill Consulting Group in London.

Ms. Chegwidden said that the way China had selectively blocked the rare earths was significant. The halted shipments involved rare earth oxides, rare earth salts and pure rare earth metals — all of which are carefully tracked by customs officials for compliance with government export quotas.

But shipments to Japan have continued of various alloys that include rare earth metals. These alloys are not subject to export quotas, so they do not receive special attention from Chinese customs officials, and would be hard to stop even if the Chinese government decided to do so.

“They picked on things for which it’s relatively easy because they’ve got a quota,” Ms. Chegwidden said.

Others in the industry said that having China’s customs agency halt exports of rare earths, without calling it an export ban, carried political and legal advantages. Imposing an unannounced embargo, they said, would allow China to ratchet up the pressure gradually on Japan to release the detained boat captain.

And an export halt carried out through administrative measures, rather than as an act of official policy, would be much harder for Japan to challenge at the World Trade Organization, which bans most unilateral export restrictions. Under W.T.O. rules, countries may formally suspend exports of natural resources only for environmental conservation.

China announced in July that it would steeply reduce its rare earth export quotas. That had prompted Molycorp, the only current American producer of rare earths, to consider expanding its own output by processing minerals extracted before the company’s mine closed eight years ago, according to Mark A. Smith, Molycorp’s chief executive.

But Molycorp’s production, 3,000 tons a year, is tiny compared with that of China, nearly 120,000 tons a year.

“This dispute is between two governments who have issues that clearly extend far beyond rare earth supplies,” Mr. Smith said in an e-mail.

Hiroko Tabuchi contributed reporting from Tokyo.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/business/energy-environment/24mineral.html

Once again :what:?

I am not Lebanese, 45 yrs old, or a woman. Look at my welcome post if you want to know a bit more. I'm certainly not making money off of this (though that would be kinda fun I admit!).

The NY times is still claiming China has halted exports to Japan using some executives as their sources. I'm certainly not aware how much these executives are invested in China, so they might be talking out their a**es. Then again maybe not.

heres the article

Thnx for the article and your neutral stance.

I think that Chinese government should've placed restrictions on rare earth exports a long time ago. Rare earth minerals are very valuable but the Chinese are selling them like dirt. To make the matters worse mining for rare earth minerals causes severe environmental degradations. Just my five cents.

Back
Top Bottom