Country
Pakistan
ASIA PACIFIC
Date Posted: 02-Oct-2009

Jane's Defence Weekly

Chinese parade demonstrates PLA's ongoing transformation

Trefor Moss JDW Asia-Pacific Editor - London

Key Points
China has unveiled a raft of new defence systems at the country's largest military parade to have been held in a decade

The PLA's new DH-10 land attack cruise missile was one of a number of previously unseen capabilities

China staged a massive military parade in Beijing on 1 October to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic.

However, experts were divided as to whether the military capabilities on show marked a serious advance for the People's Liberation Army (PLA) or whether the event - only the third large-scale military parade to have been held in China in the space of 30 years - was merely of symbolic significance for a Chinese Communist Party seeking to restate its ruling credentials.

Lieutenant General Fang Fenghui, who was in charge of the event, told the Xinhua news agency in the run-up to the National Day parade that 52 new weapon systems would be on display.

In particular, there was a great deal of speculation that the DF-41 intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), which has a presumptive range of up to 14,000 km, would appear in the public for the first time, alongside the JL-2 submarine-launched ballistic missile, which will arm the PLA Navy's (PLAN's) new Jin-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines.

In the event, the PLA debuted neither system at the parade, although a range of other capabilities did appear for the first time. Notable among these was the new DH-10 land attack cruise missile; also present, though unveiled previously, were the DF-31A ICBM and DF-21C (DF-25) anti-ship ballistic missile.

New armoured vehicles on show included the ZTD-05 amphibious assault vehicle, the ZBD-09 8x8 infantry combat vehicle and the ZBD-03 airborne combat vehicle.

The PLA Air Force's KJ-2000 AWACS aircraft made its official debut, while other aircraft on display were believed to have been carrying new weapon systems. The PLA also demonstrated progress in one of its unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) programmes, with the inclusion of the Xi'an ASN-207 UAV in the ground parade apparently confirming the system's operational status.

While some of the new systems were important from a tactical standpoint, "the parade is not the real story behind the PLA", according to David Finkelstein, director and vice-president for China Studies at CNA.

"The real story is the remarkable progress that the PLA has made since 1993 - when the PLA issued its 'Military Strategic Guidelines for the New Period' - in becoming an operational force based on institutional processes."

The parade, he said, was just a "symbolic demonstration of what has been happening for a very long time", while what was truly significant was the PLA's ongoing transformation into a "maritime, littoral and air space player in the Asia-Pacific region, as opposed to being just a land-locked, continental service".

The long-term trend, he said, was that the PLA, while still having a long way to go before it could match Western militaries, was "holistically and methodically enhancing its weapons and technology".

we will keep increasing the investment on defense. in another 10 years, when we have the next parade in Beijing, we would request the US to withdraw all its troops from the eastern part of the pacific.

we will keep increasing the investment on defense. in another 10 years, when we have the next parade in Beijing, we would request the US to withdraw all its troops from the eastern part of the pacific.

that's not going to happen.
After 10 years I see Chinese leader stand side by side with walmart CEO and US president celebrating the grand opening of the 10000th store in China and the closure of the last manufacture site in US

that's not going to happen.
After 10 years I see Chinese leader stand side by side with walmart CEO and US president celebrating the grand opening of the 10000th store in China and the closure of the last manufacture site in US

:smokin: you are naive if you still believe China is going to do manufacturing for the coming decades.

:smokin: you are naive if you still believe China is going to do manufacturing for the coming decades.

Smoking up
is exactly what they'll be doing, especially with dodos like yourself returning to China in the next few years.

I am sure you learned a thing or two in Aussiland :argh:...

Keep up with your :blah:, you'll end up :hang2:

Smoking up
is exactly what they'll be doing, especially with dodos like yourself returning to China in the next few years.

I am sure you learned a thing or two in Aussiland :argh:...

Keep up with your :blah:, you'll end up :hang2:

What the hell wrong with you ? You been attacking almost every

single Chinese member here, try to show off you are some kind of

smart A@S ? I smell curry from your bad breath !!:angry:

:pakistan::china:

What the hell wrong with you ? You been attacking almost every

single Chinese member here, try to show off you are some kind of

smart A@S ? I smell curry from your bad breath !!:angry:

Touchy, touchy - guess it's true, the boy ain't no fighter after all. :no:

:sniper: and :smitten: - all is fair, no?

And what's wrong with you? Allergic to a little "curry in a hurry"? You wouldn't have lasted a day back on soc.culture.china in the 90's. Oh well, sure reminds me of one of those "yellow" sahibs from HK who compensates with a touch of "hypernationalism" ... :azn:

Good ol' Freud, lover boy?

Don't let my low spice tolerance keep you away from the good stuff, alright? (I don't go near bona fide Sichuan food)

But perhaps - just perhaps, I was bought off by your friendly RAW in my days living next to "Bramladesh" - have you considered that? :lol:

Oh please; Not again, bad breath attack from curry boy !:cheesy:

Look boy, I dropped ample hints on you - now I do suggest you shove this "curry breath" :blah: somewhere else ...

It's one thing for you to indulge in the usual pissing contest with your buddies from the Saffron brigade, but quite another to openly insult your Pakistani friends so shamelessly as well.

What do Punjabi Pakistani eat - you dimwitted dim-sum-walla from HK?

Look boy, I dropped ample hints on you - now I do suggest you shove this "curry breath" :blah: somewhere else ...

It's one thing for you to indulge in the usual pissing contest with your buddies from the Saffron brigade, but quite another to openly insult your Pakistani friends so shamelessly as well.

What do Punjabi Pakistani eat - you dimwitted dim-sum-walla from HK?

You have now been thoroughly EXPOSED as an Indian POSING as a Canadian-Chinese.

Have you no shame? If you still do, take the remainder of your dignity and stop pretending to be someone you are clearly not, in order to fool others. :wave:

Have you no shame? If you still do, take the remainder of your dignity and stop pretending to be someone you are clearly not, in order to fool others. :wave:

Sino, it is a pattern already. Whenever there is a thread/forum/blog on China with some Chinese in, one can always find an (or more) indian pretending to log in as a Chinese to prey on some innocent people and stir internal trouble amongst Chinese ourselves.

What he/they can't figure it out himself/themselves on how the hell he/they are exposed is that 108 average Chinese IQ is there for a reason.:D:china:

:no::no::no: Is that how you repay your RAW handlers? At least I pocket their dough and do their bid :lol: (or better yet, an ISI double? ;))

思弗思窝里宁,侬哪能晓得? (hint: only the second part is "googlable")

Okay seriously, SIF, enough about me - but who are you? My first guess is Iranian ...

And I am a big fan of the Persians! Really ...

What say you, friend? :smitten:

... 108 average Chinese IQ is there for a reason.:D:china:

:rofl:

But when it comes to yourself, did you miss a decimal somewhere, mate? :D

Look, just because daddy paid for your room and board in the UK, it doesn't make you ...

You, Dim-sum boy, and ShAussie should all have your dedicated subforum - guaranteed I won't even set foot.

思弗思窝里宁,侬哪能晓得? (hint: only the second part is "googlable")

it says.

how you can tell whether from the same family

my answer:

侬只缺西。

:smokin:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom